Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,491 members, 7,819,786 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:21 PM

Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? (21509 Views)

Printing More Money Into Our Dwindling Economy » Its Effect and Economic Impact / Tetfund Has Cushioned Our Dwindling Capital Allocation, Says Okpara Varsity VC / Armed Helicopter Sent To Calabar To Aid Air Raids Against Kidnappers:pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by jomoh: 7:58pm On Oct 31, 2015
3kay945:

Enlighten me more. Who are people that would demand more due to false impression.? We Nigerian? How?
Since the money is said to create something like infrastructure.

First if it is going to be used to create infrastructure, its is going to have to come from somewhere. Crude sales or whatever the government is selling but it is not there.

Simply put. "Nemo quod non abet" you cannot give what you don't have. If Nigeria is not making the money, they cannot give it.

The federal government only prints money for the masses through banks they don't actually used the printed naira. They only use virtual currency which is dollars and if you don't make the dollars, you cannot change it to Naira.

Also if the FG decides to print Naira, it will not have any positive effect on the economy. The FG only pays contractors from the money it has made from different revenue generating agencies. All these physical naira notes we spent are just physical representation of what we have in bank. The FG won't pay by cash, they will only pay through bank account and when you don't have anything in your account, the physical naira note will be useless.

1 Like

Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by namedoam: 8:05pm On Oct 31, 2015
Yanks101:
dollar is the currency for international transactions.
The US can afford to print more, Nigeria can't.

I guess Japanese Yen is also the world currency.
Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by ademusiwa7: 8:06pm On Oct 31, 2015
ademusiwa7:

CBN is not going to answer, the CBN can only listen to ME or Buhari. That why they are showing you, that i should have many wives, so that many people could be able to make the decision.

[size=18pt]I am not a governor of a state. I am the emperor of the country of the kindgom of western nigeria. I am not ambode, that you keep on posting. let me correct you there . I have power above civillian.. governors dont have power over duke of cities. But I have power over dukes of cities.
the ooni of ife or others dukes are just dukes of towns, they have no power to approach emiefile for it. but I do. that is the mistake you are all making.

The politician lack the understand of government hierarchy .

Emiefile was picked because he knew me, my family background allow me to ask Emiefile. And give all of you the money, because I am the emperor of the kingdom of the country of western Nigeria.

when lagos was suffering in debt, the correct thing they should have done was to ask me for the money, and i ask emiefile.. because you all can ask me apart from buhari

Emiefile is not going to give you the money apart from me and buhari

You people think I am telling lies, who I am. I am telling you the truth. I am the emperor of the country of western nigeria. So if Buhari refuse to give any of you money. You are expected to ask me to ask emiefile for it, and so i can take it from emiefile and give it to you.

They the politician are suppose to ask me to ask Emiefile for the money.

look this is how military/police barrack all looks like, and I have been complaining about the same thing. I am not going to wait for you to repair it anymore. I want to give it to them to do themself. if you like you dont believe, many of you are illiterate people.
It is also going to be Christmas soon, the military/police need money to take care of their family.

I notice all of you dont have a understanding how government work. you are been pick because you know me, so that you can ask me money to ask emiefile for the money.. apart from buhari. This is how government...

You people should ask your friend for the meaning of my name.

when the people of lagos were suffering because they did not read his book well. I assume, he was too proud ,did not ask me to ask Emiefile.. he was business wasting his time with tinubu and obasanjo..

The law allows me to ask Emiefile because I am the real emperor of the country of western nigeria. The military/police can ask me to Ask Emiefile for it too to repair it. But they never ask me. [/size]

[size=28pt]You are suppose to contact me, like you contact buhari . [/size]

[size=28pt]Most of your business too are also allowed to ask me , to ask Emiefile..

Have you seen Osibanjo give you money. No. the law does not allow him to do that. Law allow you people to ask me,so I can ask Emiefile for it. That is why they make most of you know me

You people are illiterate, Emiefile is a governor and you dont have power to ask Emiefile for the money. apart from Buhari and me, Even Osibanjo have no power to ask Emiefile, only when Buhari leaves nigeria.
Have seen Osibanjo repair his church thing. No.

the only person that can ask Emiefile is me or buhari
the people are suppose to ask me to ask emiefile..
[/size]

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2112084_imag01011_jpeg22f41324a6263c210bb5382bcf37e026

[img]http://1.bp..com/-83xXF3qr4pg/VbaLwUqIaII/AAAAAAAGCJ8/8gZmbI_OHss/s400/0.jpg[/img]
[img]http://3.bp..com/-j2oJyzQBsys/VbaLyN3RxaI/AAAAAAAGCKM/issF2tRAERo/s1600/2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://2.bp..com/-QY755fNqiyM/VbaLxMuN4II/AAAAAAAGCKA/Z1v1ZEgidQo/s400/1.jpg[/img]

Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by ademusiwa7: 8:06pm On Oct 31, 2015
ademusiwa7:
[size=28pt]Illiterate people.. That is why Buhari was showing you, How he is treating Emiefile like this. So that I not be scared to ask Emiefile to give you people the money.
Buhari is just showing me, to shout on emiefile

[/size]

[size=18pt]Inside military /police barrack.[/size]

[img]http://2.bp..com/-gmR50z3hFng/Ub0oqNMnrNI/AAAAAAAAAXk/CMbguBDo2xo/s320/police+barrack.jpg[/img]

[img]http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/thumbnail.php?file=Images1/One_of_the_buildings_in_Ojuelegba_barracks__Lagos_576091224.jpg&size=article_large[/img]
[img]http://1.bp..com/-WhbKUUemkQo/VAPrzh_dsfI/AAAAAAAAHbU/guKBbe221iE/s1600/police%2Binspector%2Bkilled%2Blagos.jpg[/img]
[img]http://2.bp..com/-ojcKcJ_jl7A/VbyXoon8_jI/AAAAAAACeZg/qCOj7AEBhHI/s640/Rear-view-of-a-building-in-Ojuelegba-barracks.jpg[/img]
Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by feaworaoja007: 8:08pm On Oct 31, 2015
The more money u av in circulation; the less value your money becomes...and that is why stronger currencies like the dollars are scarce,thereby increasing their value...what we need to do perhaps is try and increase the value of our naira by insisting we get paid for our crude in "naira",that"ll increase the demand for naira,thereby raising its value...but if we do that,other countries might end up counterfeiting our money,thereby making us lose from both ends...however,since the US dollar is the standard for exchAnge we should seek alternative ways of raising the value of our naira of which printing money's definetly not an option...
Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by tuniski: 8:13pm On Oct 31, 2015
U don't print money, u create money through economic activities. Have u ever heard the name Zimbabwe? That is an example of that thoughtless idea of printing money the Naira will become tissue paper!!!

2 Likes

Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by macaranta(m): 8:17pm On Oct 31, 2015
OP must be Zimbabwean.
Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by nwadiuko1(m): 8:35pm On Oct 31, 2015
scofieldsimba:

The money won't be used to pay salaries na...

But even USA and other developed coutries tried it and it worked...

I remember one article by BAT on this same issue.
The point is our economy is going down and I just feel we need urgent steps else......
the money will eventually get to the hands of the populace, and they l spend.....when too much money is in circulation pursuing the few available goods and services....pewww! Inflation
Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by gabicon: 8:38pm On Oct 31, 2015
EternalTruths:

What do you mean by bankable resources

Please list them while not including agriculture and tax

ABUJA
- Marble
- Clay
- Tentalite
- Cassiterite
- Gold (partially investigated)
- Lead /Zinc (Traces)
- Dolomite

ABIA STATE
- Gold
- Salt
- Linestone
- Lead/Zinc

ADAMAWA STATE
- Kaolin
- Bentonite
- Gypsium
- Magnesite

AKWA IBOM STATE
- Lead/Zinc
- Clay
- Limestone
- Uranium (Traced)
- Salt
- Lignite (Traced)

ANAMBRA STATE
- Lead/Zinck
- Clay
- Limestone
- Iron-Ore
- Lignite (Partially investigated)
- Salt
- Glass-Sand
- Phosphate
- Gypsium

BAYELSA STATE
- Clay
- Limestone
- Gypsium (partially investigated)
- Uranium (partially investigated)
- Manganese
- Lignite
- Lead/Zinc (Traces)

BAUCHI STATE
- Amethst (violet)
- Gypsium
- Lead/Zinc (Traces)
- Uranuin (partially investigated)

BENUE STATE
- Lead/Zinc
- Limestone
- Iron-Ore
- Coal
- Clay
- Marble
- Sakt
- Berytes (traces)
- Gem stones
- Gypsium

BORNO STATE
- Diatomite
- Clay
- Limestone
- Hydro-carbon (oil and gas)
Partially investigated) cool
- Gypsium
- Kaolin
- Bentonite

CROSS RIVER STATE
- Limestone
- Uranium
- Manganese
- Lignite
- Lead/Zinc
- Salt

DELTA STATE
- Marble
- Glass Sand
- Gypsium
- Lignite
- Iron-Ore
- Kaolin

EBONYI STATE
- Lead
- Gold shocked
- Salt

EDO STATE
- Marble
- Lignite
- Clay
- Limestone
- Iron Ore
- Gypsium
- Glass-sand
- Gold
- Dolomite Phosphate
- Bitumen

EKITI STATE
- Kaolin
- Feldsper
- Tatium
- Granite
- Syenite

ENUGU STATE
- Coal
- Linestone
- Lead/Zinc

GOMBE STATE
- Gemstone
- Gysium

IMO STATE
- Kead/Zinc
- Limestone
- Lignite
- Phosphate
- Marcasite
- Gypsium
- Salt

JIGAWAA STATE
- Butytes

KADUNA STATE
- Sapphire
- Kaoline
- Gold
- Clay
- Surpentinite
- Asbestos
- Amethyst
- Kyanite
- Graphite (partally investgated)
- Silhnite
- Mica (Traces)
- Aqua marine
- Ruby
- Rock Crystal
- Topaz
- Flosper
- Tourmaline
- Gemstone
- Tentalime

KANO STATE
- Prrochinre
- Cassiterite
- Copper
- Glass – Sand
- Gemstone
- Lead/Zinc
- Tantalite

KATSINA STATE
- Kaolin
- Marble
- Salt

KEBBI STATE
- Gold
KOGI STATE
- Iron-Ore
- Kaolin
- Gypsium
- Feldsper
- Goal
- Marble
- Dolomite
- Talc
- Tantalite

KWARA STATE
- Gold
- Marble
- Iron-Ore
- Cassiterite
- Colubite
- Tantalite
- Feldspar (Traces)
- Mica (Traces)

LAGOS STATE
- Glass-sand
- Clay
- Bitumen

NASARAWA STATE
- Beryl (emerald)
- Asquamirine and
- Haliodor)
- Dolomite/Marble
- Sapphire
- Tourmaline
- Quartz- Amethyst (Topaz, gamet)
- Zireon
- Tantalite
- Cassiterite
- Columbite
- Limenite
- Galena
- Iron-Ore
- Barytes
- Feldspar
- Limesstone
- Mica
- Cooking coal
- Talc
- Cay
- Salt
- Chalcopyrite

NIGER STATE
- Gold
- Talc
- Lead/Zinc

OGUN STATE
- Phosphate
- Clay
- Feldspar (traces)
- Kaolin
- Limestone
- Germstone
- Bitumen

ONDO STATE
- Bitumen
- Kaolin
- Gemstone
- Gypsium
- Feldspar
- Granite
- Clay
- Glass-sand
- Dimesion stones
- Limestone
- Coal

OSUN STATE
- Gikd
- Talc
- Toumaline
- Toumaline
- Colimbite
- Granite

OYO STATE
- Kaoline
- Marble
- Clay
- Sillimnote
- Talc
- Gold
- Cassiterite
- Aqua Marine
- Dolomite
- Gemstone
- Tantalite

PLATEAU STATE
- Emerald
- Tin
- Marble
- Granite
- Tantalite/columbit
- Lead/Zinc
- Barytes
- Irton-Ore
- Kaolin
- Belonite
- Cassiterrite
- Phrochlore
- Clay
- Coal
- Wolfam
- Salt
- Bismuth
- Fluoride
- Molybdenite
- Gemstone
- Bauxite

RIVER STATE
- Glass-sand
- Clay
- Marble
- Lignite (traces)

SOKOTO STATE
Kaolin
- Gold
= Limestone
- Phosphate
- Gpsium
- silica-sand
- Clay
- Laterrite
- Potash
- Flakes
- Granite
- Gold
- Salt

TARABA STATE
- Kaolin
- Lead/Zinc

YOBE STATE
- Tintomite
- Soda Ash (partially Investigated)

ZAMFARA STATE
- Goal
- Cotton
- Gold

Just to mention a few mining will fetch states more money than they can spend.
Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by ransomed: 8:38pm On Oct 31, 2015
Recover all stolen wealth and looted funds. Make Deiziani and other crooks cough out their loots.
Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by andyanders: 8:42pm On Oct 31, 2015
scofieldsimba:
I just want to know if it is right for our Central bank to print more monies in order to heal our wounded economy..

We are deficit infrastructural. I think it won't be a bad idea if there is a special fund created by CBN to build roads,improve power, improve health care, and create more industries..

I heard most countries at some point in time had to resort to this....

Seasoned economics in the House, I need your contributions..

It is not right.Don't you know the implication of printing money and injecting it into the system, you end up causing inflation and destroying the economy.
Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by nwadiuko1(m): 8:46pm On Oct 31, 2015
3kay945:

What if the money is mainly use for infrastructures. ?
What if money is printed to build power plants? How will it affect the above you stated, having it in mind that either we print or not, we still going to import the material needed.
is it spirits that will be paid with the money?
Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by onosprince(m): 8:50pm On Oct 31, 2015
If na so he dey be, Greece for don print take pay their debt

2 Likes

Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by Sheriffc(m): 8:55pm On Oct 31, 2015
mazeltov:
A dwindling economy is different from scarcity of money. They are two different things which requires different approah.
So which one do you want to solve.?
The man has given you the best and the most suitable answer, simply INFLATION . In fact, the little money you have in your bank account is still relevant and useful till today because we are able to keep inflattion down at the lowest possible rate but I won't tell you the effect if inflation it is high and galloping.

You mean America printed more money? Lolzz. It's fat lie. An economic giant like America can never try that. It defies the rules of economics. You don't print more money to solve the problem of scarcity of money.
You don't add salt to a food that is already salty

I don't think there is a difference between 'dwindling economy' and Money Scarcity; one leads to the other. Moreover, 'moderate' inflation has been reported to had helped some economies such Brazil even Argentina. Inflation as argued by Greg Mankiw should not be seen as a plague. I believe financing infrastructural deficit by injecting more money into an economy through printing of more notes to pay for it might help in our situation. Printing more money, moderately though, could be used t engender more investment and help to re-ignite the pistol of our economy.
Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by tonytony208(m): 8:58pm On Oct 31, 2015
Babalegba:
How do you spend cash in secret

You won't spend in secret.

You will only print in secret.

You will also not release all into circulation once. The disbursement will be gradual and stealthy.
Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by Sheriffc(m): 9:00pm On Oct 31, 2015
onosprince:
If na so he dey be, Greece for don print take pay their debt

Greece can't print to pay its debt because it has lost such economic tool when it decided to join the European Union (EU)....

1 Like

Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by 3kay945(m): 9:07pm On Oct 31, 2015
nwadiuko1:
is it spirits that will be paid with the money?

I don't get you. You referred to the contractors or who?
Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by Okpueze1(m): 9:08pm On Oct 31, 2015
kaybams1:

That's not quantitative easing. Quantitative easing is when the Central Bank decides to increase money supply by buying long term securities from commercial banks and the private sector in a bid to reduce long term interest rates. Normally when they want to pursue an expansionary monetary policy, they target buying short term securities in a bid to positively influence money supply. But at times when interest rate becomes too low in recessionary periods, They can't increase money supply through that method. They then target the buying of long term securities such as bonds and all so that long term interest rate can fall in the long run. When it does, other interest rates follows suits and money supply increases.

No Central Bank in the world prints more money to battle recession because money itself have no value if its not backed by something of value. I hope have tried to shed more light.
Idi Amin of Uganda tried it, it worked only that he became addicted to it and sunk the country into deep inflation. We can learn a leaf from that case and print money reasonably not stupidly. My opinion tho.

1 Like

Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by nwadiuko1(m): 9:09pm On Oct 31, 2015
3kay945:

I don't get you. You referred to the contractors or who?
yeah contractors, laborers, suppliers etc head or tail the money will still go into circulation

1 Like

Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by Sheriffc(m): 9:15pm On Oct 31, 2015
tonytony208:

You won't spend in secret.

You will only print in secret.

You will also not release all into circulation once. The disbursement will be gradual and stealthy.

I don't think governments make public that it want to print money. The problem of printing more money is in what it is to be used for. If a government printed more money to pay for recurrent expenditures, this would definitely hurt the economy in a longrun.
Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by 3kay945(m): 9:15pm On Oct 31, 2015
nwadiuko1:
yeah contractors, laborers, suppliers etc head or tail the money will still go into circulation

So those you mentioned summed up to millions of peeps? That will cause inflation?

All projects don't have to be carried out at once.
So if huge amount of stolen (loot) is to be recovered, will that amount to inflation too? If not why?
Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by Xlyad(m): 9:19pm On Oct 31, 2015
nsyforreal:

Good point. At a time asiwaju bola tinubu proposed this short term policy. It will help correct some deficits but in the long run, inflation will crop up.

It all depends on how it is driven by our government. If well handled, it will be a short fix that maybe handled long term.
this can cause hyperinflation,even in the short run.

1 Like

Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by ademusiwa7: 9:23pm On Oct 31, 2015
[size=28pt]The problem they all have, they all think, they are suspect of boko haram. But is not it.

It is so that your needs can be serve.

If you lack anything on your street or school.. You can contact me.

And government will try to fix it for you. Because t. All obas work for the government too.

You can all see my email to contact me.
By law we have already been designated as property of the country.

Emeifile is not the owner of the money
. it is your money.
Obas are like city Porter. You know university porter In your hostel. Who comes to repair your thing.

[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][size=8pt][/size]
Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by draxler15(m): 9:24pm On Oct 31, 2015
It would lead to inflation Na Google what happened to Austria in the past.
Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by kaybams1(m): 9:24pm On Oct 31, 2015
dexpendable:
Is it that the money we spend now have always been there? Or the CBN prints money regularly? What's more money? What's the money printed normally? Where did the bailout fund come from? There's already inflation in Nigeria, I think?

Please shed light.

No sir. CBN Issues currency no doubt but not without a demand for it from the private sector. The supply of money from the CBN has to match the demand for such money from the private sector. For instance, when CBN buys securities from the private sector, it does so with the aim of increasing money supply. How is it done you might want to ask. When there is high demand for a particular security, its price will rise and the interest rate of that security will fall. The fall in interest rate will endogenously create demand for money, and Money supply will then increase from the CBN to match the demand.

Note that there is a negative relationship between the price of a security and its interest rate such that if the price of that security rises, its interest rate will fall. And the factor that raises the price of a security is when the demand for it increases. And when interest rate falls, price of securities rises and people will be more interested in the market to take advantage of price fluctuations, the real sector too will thrive and the demand for money will rise. When this happens, the CBN will then increase money supply to match that demand but it does so by buying the securities the private sector sells to it. This security will now be the thing of value backing the money issuance.

So in essence, Central Bank can only influence the increase in money supply through either the direct reduction of Monetary policy rate which is the central interest rate that other interest rates responds to OR it Increases money supply through the Open market Operations which includes buying securities to back the money its pumping into the economy. But there is no such thing as printing money without something of value exchanging hands.
Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by Xlyad(m): 9:26pm On Oct 31, 2015
NaijaTalkTown:
Actually, America is in a $16trillion debt and the only way it has been coping since 2013 is by printing more dollars. Stop forming to be an analyst when you are not.
You just shot yourself in the foot!If the US prints money to pay debt,why are they still indebted to the tune of $16bn?
Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by bnovative(m): 9:30pm On Oct 31, 2015
Hahahahahahuhuhoho! Why am l not surprise at the thought of asking buhari to print more money? U see that will be great and I'm sure buhari is already thinking about it. After that u guys can stabilise oil price and boom! our economy will blossom. Pls remember to ask Idi Amin for manual on this. Sai baba and his youths!!!

1 Like

Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by GoodGovernance: 9:31pm On Oct 31, 2015
chuose:
NIJA'S ECONOMY WAS BOOMING UNDER OBJ & GEJ

B00HARI & APC DON ENTER CHANGE DON ARRIVE,
WAHALA DON SET!

Stupidity of the highest order!

This is economics, not politics.Having the largest economy does not imply a booming economy.A sudden upward review of statistical parameters(like what GEJ did) to reflect the actual size of your economy,does not translate to an organic and systematic economic development.

The economy had been in serious decline,long before the 2015 general elections.The difference now is that we have a transparent government that is open and telling us the truth that Nigeria is broke.The economy had been bastardized and our common treasury looted by the PDP government!

The printing of money cannot be the solution right now.We need to identify the problems before any prsecription.We are where we are today because of dwindling oil revenue and previous mismanagement and looting of the economy.

1.In the short term,we need to restrict unnecessary importation of what we produce locally,to ease the pressure on the Naira(already done,the benefits to come later,not now).

2.Secondly,we need to recover looted funds(on going).

3.Drastic cost reduction mechanisms at all levels.

4.A zero base/performance budgeting, system to expose and checkmate frivolous/overblown expenditures, characteristic of the hitherto incremental budgeting system(On going)

3. Aggressive Tax revenue drive by expanding the income tax net,without necessarily increasing the tax rate. ( I trust Fowler to execute this successfully)

4.Medium term and long term solution include diversification of our revenue base to areas like agric,solid minerals,tourism.

So far the government is on track,let's pray for no derailment.

LONG LIVE THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA!
Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by Captainswag225(m): 9:32pm On Oct 31, 2015
all4naija. provide the answer
Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by chinae(m): 9:34pm On Oct 31, 2015
3kay945:

What if the money is mainly use for infrastructures. ?
What if money is printed to build power plants? How will it affect the above you stated, having it in mind that either we print or not, we still going to import the material needed.

In any project you intend using the printed money , it will have the same effect. the printed money is in Naira and u don't import those material with dollar that is why countries can borrow nd not print because the borrow in the country's currency so it can't be computed as the amount of money in circulation.
Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by bnovative(m): 9:43pm On Oct 31, 2015
jomoh:

First if it is going to be used to create infrastructure, its is going to have to come from somewhere. Crude sales or whatever the government is selling but it is not there.

Simply put. "Nemo quod non abet" you cannot give what you don't have. If Nigeria is not making the money, they cannot give it.

The federal government only prints money for the masses through banks they don't actually used the printed naira. They only use virtual currency which is dollars and if you don't make the dollars, you cannot change it to Naira.

Also if the FG decides to print Naira, it will not have any positive effect on the economy. The FG only pays contractors from the money it has made from different revenue generating agencies. All these physical naira notes we spent are just physical representation of what we have in bank. The FG won't pay by cash, they will only pay through bank account and when you don't have anything in your account, the physical naira note will be useless.

It's good u have to break it down to the simplest form, but i doubt if majority of these youths will still understand. They could as well tell nigeria not to engage in any trade, since we can conveniently print the cash we need.
Re: Should CBN Print More Money To Aid Our Dwindling Economy? by dexpendable(m): 9:45pm On Oct 31, 2015
kaybams1:

No sir. CBN Issues currency no doubt but not without a demand for it from the private sector. The supply of money from the CBN has to match the demand for such money from the private sector. For instance, when CBN buys securities from the private sector, it does so with the aim of increasing money supply. How is it done you might want to ask. When there is high demand for a particular security, its price will rise and the interest rate of that security will fall.

Note that there is a negative relationship between the price of a security and its interest rate such that if the price of that security rises, its interest rate will fall. And the factor that raises the price of a security is when the demand for it increases. And when interest rate falls, price of securities rises and people will be more interested in the market to take advantage of price fluctuations, the real sector too will thrive and the demand for money will rise. When this happens, the CBN will then increase money supply to match that demand but it does so by buying the securities the private sector sells to it. This security will now be the thing of value backing the money issuance.

So in essence, Central Bank can only influence the increase in money supply through either the direct reduction of Monetary policy rate which is the central interest rate that other interest rates responds to OR it Increases money supply through the Open market Operations which includes buying securities to back the money its pumping into the economy. But there is no such thing as printing money without something of value exchanging hands.

Thank you. You're a wonderful person.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Eunice Atuejide Drops Out Of 2019 Presidential Race, Endorses Atiku Abubakar / Profile Of Ahmad Aliyu, Sokoto Governor-Elect / Presidential Election: Atiku Planning To Contest Again In 2027 – Adeyanju

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.