Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,976 members, 7,817,874 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:49 PM

Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians (4102 Views)

Buhari Received His Classmates Of 1953 Set Of Katsina Middle School (Photos) / 76yr Old Emir Of Katsina Marries 14yr Old (picture of emir and Habiba) / Northerners Should Not Join Others To Criticize Buhari – Emir Of Katsina (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians by imashyguy: 12:43pm On Oct 31, 2015

A church in Batagarawa, Katsina State.
The story of the indigenous Christians of Katsina State is a heartwarming one, Daily Trust reports.
The history of Christians in Katsina dates back to the 19th century when the pioneer mission group in northern Nigeria, the Anglican Church Missionary Society (CMS) selected Africa as one of its areas of interest, with the aim of providing humanitarian services. According to Dahiru Rabe, Lecturer at Umaru Musa Yar’adua University (UMYU) in his book ‘The British Colonial Occupation and Christian Missionary Activities in Katsina Emirate C. 1903-1936,’ the CMS had been able to reach the gates of Hausaland by establishing a station at Girku, near Zaria. But all their efforts were to no avail because conversion remained difficult. Therefore, Hausaland remained outside the influence of Christian missionaries throughout the 19th century.
Katsina, Kano, Zazzau, Daura, Hadejia, Gwandu emirates had no presence of missionary activities in the 19th century, despite the unabated zeal of the missionary groups that undertook their evangelical campaigns. However, in Katsina emirate, all the attempts to introduce Christian missionary activities could be attributed to the efforts of three principal missionary societies, namely the Anglican, the SIM and the Roman Catholic Mission. Due to the difficulties associated with evangelical work in the area, the missions were forced to retreat for a review of the situation. Thus, in 1910, at Edinburgh, a mission conference was convened where the mission groups pressed for change of attitude by the British officers towards the missions’ activities in northern Nigeria.
In 1926, another conference was convened at Lezoute, Belgium. This conference invited the then Governor of Nigeria, Graeme Thomson, who explained carefully the policy and manner of indirect rule in Northern Nigerian emirates. As a result of this conference, missionaries were assured access to the emirates of Hausaland. It was at this conference that Dr. Rowland Bingham, the founder of the S.I.M pressed the British colonial government to allow the penetration of the hinterland in Kano and Katsina emirates.
It was also at this Lezoute conference that for the first time the Governor explained that most of the progressive Emirs were going to be taught to accept religious tolerance. Therefore, the conference was the major turning point in the history of missionary activities in Katsina emirate in particular and Hausaland in general.
In present-day Katsina, the majority of Christians can be found in the Southern part of the state and predominantly in local governments of Malumfashi, Kafur, Musawa, Bakori and Matazu. This can be attested to by the presence of old missionary hospitals and schools that have existed for long in the area. In Malumfashi, there is a Christian missionary hospital, over a hundred years old and an ECWA church in Matazu only recently reapplied for a renewal of land titles having reached 99 years on the land.
This long-standing relationship between the Christian community and the dominant Muslim population has blossomed over the years and its manifestation is all over the state. Over time, they have inter-married and settlements become interwoven. Unlike in other northern states, it is only in Katsina that you do not have places like Sabon Gari or Tudun Wada, which is mostly inhabited by Christians and non-natives. A typically dressed Katsina Christian is hardly differentiated from a Muslim counterpart. They wear same attires, bear similar names and speak the Hausa dialect fluently.
Very Reverend Nelson Onyekachukwu says “We are having a wonderful peaceful coexistence and work hand-in-hand. One unique thing about this place is that there is no discrimination like in other northern states. What we enjoy in Katsina, they don’t.” He added that everyone is received with open arms, without discrimination. “They see us as one, making Katsina a unique state,” he said.
Onyekachukwu gave an example: “Minor day-to-day issues of course arise. Some few weeks ago I received a call from Bakori about a problem on a farm land and I was happy with the way the District Head handled the matter. He wasn’t a Christian but a devout Muslim, yet he judged the case in favour of the Christian family. He pointed out that they were the rightful owners of the land and returned it to them. When they called me and told me, I was so happy. I believe our relationship will continue to blossom,” he said.
For Engineer Sayyadi Sanda, an indigene of Malumfashi who grew up in a mixed family of both Christians and Muslims, it is an experience worth sharing. “There has not been a time I feel isolated from either my friends or family,” he explained, adding that

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians by daniska3yaro(m): 2:17pm On Oct 31, 2015
Cool
Re: Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians by Mogidi: 2:52pm On Oct 31, 2015
I wonder how many would be left by 2019.

3 Likes

Re: Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians by ZKOSOSO(m): 3:31pm On Oct 31, 2015
We hope the Daura fulaniman knows this!
Re: Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians by baralatie(m): 4:17pm On Oct 31, 2015
don't worry the Christian Aid organisation is right behind you guys up north!
Re: Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians by aminho(m): 4:56pm On Oct 31, 2015
sai godiya most people here dont know anything about the north visit it explore and your eyes will be open people always say that the north is underdeveloped visit first and you will see that only lagos calaba ak ibom can stand the whole north in respect of road network affordable housing etc

2 Likes

Re: Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians by Aminat508(f): 4:56pm On Oct 31, 2015
Source
Re: Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians by Kestolovee95(f): 5:14pm On Oct 31, 2015
Mogidi:

Alhaji Bin Buhari go don order their suyanization by then. Serious massacring.

1 Like

Re: Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians by laudate: 12:58am On Nov 01, 2015
Kestolovee95:

Alhaji Bin Buhari go don order their suyanization by then. Serious massacring.

God forbid! shocked shocked The Lord God who has preserved them all these years, will continue to protect them in Jesus' name. No evil shall befall them. They shall go out safely and come back peacefully.

The presence of God will be a shield round about them. When the enemy comes against these Christians in one way, such enemies shall flee before them in seven ways. Let us learn to pray for fellow Christians in the North, that their faith will stand strong and any persecution against them will not stand!! angry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians by mrvitalis(m): 4:33am On Nov 01, 2015
And they keep telling us Muslims make up 60% of Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians by ERAKAMUS: 5:55am On Nov 01, 2015
mrvitalis:
And they keep telling us Muslims make up 60% of Nigeria
It's a Big lie that's why they kill to attain Top Position(s) to fix in there fellow muslem to make it look real.

Lastly, It's only by. the Grace that the Gospel spreads there due to persecution, but they will come down south and build Mosques

1 Like

Re: Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians by Kestolovee95(f): 6:26am On Nov 01, 2015
laudate:

God forbid! shocked shocked The Lord God who has preserved them all these years, will continue to protect them in Jesus' name. No evil shall befall them. They shall go out safely and come back peacefully.

The presence of God will be a shield round about them. When the enemy comes against these Christians in one way, such enemies shall flee before them in seven ways. Let us learn to pray for fellow Christians in the North, that their faith will stand strong and any persecution against them will not stand!! angry

Oga pastor,even i break no sweat for northern christians, just like their muslim counterparts they have their hands dripping with Biafran blood. They need to make restitution first by acknowlegding their role in the genocide. All the prayers in the world won't erase that. The wicked north has drank so much blood of the innocent and it's time to drink it's own blood.
Re: Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians by Nobody: 9:10am On Nov 01, 2015
ERAKAMUS:
It's a Big lie that's why they kill to attain Top Position(s) to fix in there fellow muslem to make it look real.

Lastly, It's only by. the Grace that the Gospel spreads there due to persecution, but they will come down south and build Mosques
south south and south east are the only zones in nigeria with a large difference btw xtians and Muslim population and there are very few mosques there.in some places in the north,you can't pass a street without finding a church with most of them having only the pastor and his family as church members.
Re: Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians by Rotimi47: 9:18am On Nov 01, 2015
There are some Fulani clans that are predominantly Christians; I will say every tribe have people of the 2 major religions.
Re: Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians by QuotaSystem: 9:57am On Nov 01, 2015
There are hundreds of thousands of Hausa Fulani Christians in the North. Just visit any ECWA or COCIN church and be amazed.

Zuru in Kebbi state is a large thriving town which is predominantly Christian. Most Nigerians are just grossly uninformed about their own country.

7 Likes

Re: Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians by PRYCE(m): 10:14am On Nov 01, 2015
Heartwarming!
Re: Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians by ERAKAMUS: 5:37pm On Nov 01, 2015
crusadistic:
south south and south east are the only zones in nigeria with a large difference btw xtians and Muslim population and there are very few mosques there.in some places in the north,you can't pass a street without finding a church with most of them having only the pastor and his family as church members.
Aside Kaduna in NW what zone has high Muslims population in Nigeria. Abeg forget matter joor.
Re: Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians by laudate: 2:37am On Nov 02, 2015
Kestolovee95:
Oga pastor,even i break no sweat for northern christians, just like their muslim counterparts they have their hands dripping with Biafran blood. They need to make restitution first by acknowlegding their role in the genocide. All the prayers in the world won't erase that. The wicked north has drank so much blood of the innocent and it's time to drink it's own blood.

Stop playing the victim. Didn't Igbo people also kill Nigerian soldiers during the war?? Didn't they ask Ojukwu for guns that they were ready to go to war?? What do you think happens during a war?? shocked
Re: Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians by Kestolovee95(f): 3:06am On Nov 02, 2015
laudate:

Stop playing the victim. Didn't Igbo people also kill Nigerian soldiers during the war?? Didn't they ask Ojukwu for guns that they were ready to go to war?? What do you think happens during a war?? shocked

We were on our building a new country, Gowon brought death to our land by firing the first shot at market women and children in Biafraland, we killed his soldiers in self-defence because it is right thing to do.

If my fathers hadn't fight i'll probably not be here or maybe i'll be typing to you in hausa or arabic. You were the aggresors, you must see yourself as such.
Re: Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians by Nobody: 3:17am On Nov 02, 2015
100% true, I did my NYSC in the heart of Katsina so I'm a living witness.

Quite a cool place to be. I miss my evening yarns with one retired policeman in a joint on IBB way.

Such memorable days. smiley
Re: Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians by laudate: 3:18am On Nov 02, 2015
Kestolovee95:
We were on our building a new country, Gowon brought death to our land by firing the first shot at market women and children in Biafraland, we killed his soldiers in self-defence because it is right thing to do.

If my fathers hadn't fight i'll probably not be here or maybe i'll be typing to you in hausa or arabic. You were the aggresors, you must see yourself as such.

You killed his soldiers and they are not complaining. Your forefathers asked for guns to wage war against them. And they did so. Now why are you still complaining?? Do you want people to wake up Gowon's dead soldiers, and ask them to allow you guys fire the first shot?
Re: Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians by Kestolovee95(f): 3:26am On Nov 02, 2015
laudate:

You killed his soldiers and they are not complaining. Your forefathers asked for guns to wage war against them. And they did so. Now why are you still complaining?? Do you want people to wake up Gowon's dead soldiers, and ask them to allow you guys fire the first shot?

You are a dullard, if you are trying to build youe new nation, and one gworo-chewing idiot starts bombing laudate's women and children. Do you send kiss the feet of his soldiers and send him roses in lagos? Is that what you will do.

Listen mr man, if you can not use whatever is left of your decayed brain, don't bother mentioning me to push this arguement further. The Biafran story is well documented, gowon drew first blood, Biafra responded. Hit the archives and be well guided.

1 Like

Re: Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians by laudate: 3:57am On Nov 02, 2015
Kestolovee95:
You are a dullard, if you are trying to build youe new nation, and one gworo-chewing idiot starts bombing laudate's women and children. Do you send kiss the feet of his soldiers and send him roses in lagos? Is that what you will do.

Listen mr man, if you can not use whatever is left of your decayed brain, don't bother mentioning me to push this arguement further. The Biafran story is well documented, gowon drew first blood, Biafra responded. Hit the archives and be well guided.

You are the greatest dullard here. And because you are unable to face the truth, you have resorted to insults. Typical. That is what you always do.

Listen clearly, your people asked Ojukwu for arms. It is well-documented in the archives. When they were asking for arms, what were they going to do with it?? Use it to carry out an atilogwu dance? shocked

Your people also asked Ojukwu to secede. Again, that fact is well-documented. The federal govt did not allow the secession to be finalised, and instituted a police action, asking that the Eastern region should drop its belligerent posture or face the consequences. Your people refused to heed the government's warning. A war ensued. sad

What do you think happens during a war?? When your forbears were asking Ojukwu for arms, that they wanted to fight, did they think they were going for a tea party??

Look here, this issue has been debated on several threads, so stop trying to re-write history with your posts, by playing the victim card. There were casualties on both sides. May the souls of the departed, rest in peace. Stop visiting your hate on the Northern Christians, please!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians by Kestolovee95(f): 7:41am On Nov 02, 2015
laudate:

You are the greatest dullard here. And because you are unable to face the truth, you have resorted to insults. Typical. That is what you always do.

Listen clearly, your people asked Ojukwu for arms. It is well-documented in the archives. When they were asking for arms, what were they going to do with it?? Use it to carry out an atilogwu dance? shocked

Your people also asked Ojukwu to secede. Again, that fact is well-documented. The federal govt did not allow the secession to be finalised, and instituted a police action, asking that the Eastern region should drop its belligerent posture or face the consequences. Your people refused to heed the government's warning. A war ensued. sad

What do you think happens during a war?? When your forbears were asking Ojukwu for arms, that they wanted to fight, did they think they were going for a tea party??

Look here, this issue has been debated on several threads, so stop trying to re-write history with your posts, by playing the victim card. There were casualties on both sides. May the souls of the departed, rest in peace. Stop visiting your hate on the Northern Christians, please!

You are a monstrous monkey. So a people hurt and brutalized should allow themselves to be ran over by toerag hausas withour resistance like your cowardly forebears did in illorin. No?

Listen what is documented and acknowleged is that your Gowon drew first blood killing women and children expecting Biafra to take it lying low. Biafrans responded defending themselves and even attempted to take the war to gowon on his turf in Lagos. That's what writers like Auberon waugh, forsyth, etc. reorded in their book.

Wherever you heard or read your own under-the-mango-tree reviosionized fairytale is your own bowl of amala.

It is one of the reason the world puts him on the same list as Hitler, recorded as the 14th greatest killer of all time as an aggressor. He might not pay any prices but his people and children are paying already. It is an albatross that they'll to bear for generations to come and i don't envy them.

You now have the right to sod off!

1 Like

Re: Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians by kokoA(m): 7:59am On Nov 02, 2015
It saddens my heart that the true state of the north is not usually reported by our mass media. They just focus on two to three crisis prone states forgetting that that there are 19 states in the north. It is quite unfortunate that a lot of southerners don't have the true picture of northern Nigeria. There are many indigenous Christians and churches all over the north. ECWA, COCIN, Ekan, Qua-iboe, etc are full blown northern churches, while Catholic and Anglican are very popular to.
Re: Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians by laudate: 10:39am On Nov 02, 2015
Kestolovee95:
You are a monstrous monkey. So a people hurt and brutalized should allow themselves to be ran over by toerag hausas withour resistance like your cowardly forebears did in illorin. No?

Listen what is documented and acknowleged is that your Gowon drew first blood killing women and children expecting Biafra to take it lying low. Biafrans responded defending themselves and even attempted to take the war to gowon on his turf in Lagos. That's what writers like Auberon waugh, forsyth, etc. reorded in their book.

Wherever you heard or read your own under-the-mango-tree reviosionized fairytale is your own bowl of amala.

It is one of the reason the world puts him on the same list as Hitler, recorded as the 14th greatest killer of all time as an aggressor. He might not pay any prices but his people and children are paying already. It is an albatross that they'll to bear for generations to come and i don't envy them.

You now have the right to sod off!

Hahaha! cheesy See this mugu!! Chai! Why have you just proven that the money spent on your education was wasted?? You keep crying that Gowon fired the first shot! is that the only thing that pains you in this whole matter?? Okay, like I told you before...go and wake up Gowon's soldiers that your Biafran bullets killed and tell them you want to re-enact the war, but this time they should let you fire the first shot! sad

Ah, they took the war to Gowon in Lagos according to you! sad So what is still paining you in this whole matter?? Afterall, your forbears retaliated by killing Nigerian soldiers. They even went as far as invading Benin and storming Ore. Still their action did not satisfy you....that is why you are still whining, crying and wailing on this thread in 2015 more than 45 years after, and cursing the Northern Christians. Continue, but kindly know that it would NOT bring back your departed folks. Please leave them to rest in peace. Is that too much to ask?? shocked

You used the word 'albatross.' Why?? Isn't it obvious to the whole world that you are the one still bearing the albatross of the civil war, going from the way you are whining on this thread?? So in reality, the word 'monstrous monkey' should actually be applied to you!

As for Ilorin, please tell me what concerns me with Ilorin?? Your ignorance knows no bounds! shocked If you do not bring out proof to show Laudate is from Ilorin, may it never be well with you in this lifetime and the next!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians by bonechamberlain(m): 12:11pm On Nov 02, 2015
Mogidi:
may God help them, they are religious endangered species.
Re: Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians by Nobody: 8:40pm On Nov 10, 2015
Re: Story Of Katsina’s Indigenous Christians by saymax(f): 9:23pm On Nov 10, 2015
laudate:

Hahaha! cheesy See this mugu!! Chai! Why have you just proven that the money spent on your education was wasted?? You keep crying that Gowon fired the first shot! is that the only thing that pains you in this whole matter?? Okay, like I told you before...go and wake up Gowon's soldiers that your Biafran bullets killed and tell them you want to re-enact the war, but this time they should let you fire the first shot! sad

Ah, they took the war to Gowon in Lagos according to you! sad So what is still paining you in this whole matter?? Afterall, your forbears retaliated by killing Nigerian soldiers. They even went as far as invading Benin and storming Ore. Still their action did not satisfy you....that is why you are still whining, crying and wailing on this thread in 2015 more than 45 years after, and cursing the Northern Christians. Continue, but kindly know that it would NOT bring back your departed folks. Please leave them to rest in peace. Is that too much to ask?? shocked

You used the word 'albatross.' Why?? Isn't it obvious to the whole world that you are the one still bearing the albatross of the civil war, going from the way you are whining on this thread?? So in reality, the word 'monstrous monkey' should actually be applied to you!

As for Ilorin, please tell me what concerns me with Ilorin?? Your ignorance knows no bounds! shocked If you do not bring out proof to show Laudate is from Ilorin, may it never be well with you in this lifetime and the next!
Loving ur reply o jare!

(1) (Reply)

We Will Announce Lagos Council Election Date Soon - LASIEC Boss / Borno State Government Plans To Immortalize BH Founder Mohammed Yusuf / Governor Ugwuanyi Wins Vanguard's Governor Of The Year 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.