Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,028 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:24 AM

Our Hypocrisy : Castigating Nigeria's But Accepting South Africa's Hip-hop! - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Our Hypocrisy : Castigating Nigeria's But Accepting South Africa's Hip-hop! (1433 Views)

Dewy Oputa: My Parents Accepting I Am Lesbian Was Hard – Charly Boy’s Daughter / Juliet Ibrahim To Boyfriend, Iceberg Slim: Thanks For Accepting Me Just As I Am / Kokozaria Thanks Wife For Accepting Awele Odita's Pregnancy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Hypocrisy : Castigating Nigeria's But Accepting South Africa's Hip-hop! by PrettyHausaGirl(f): 1:17pm On Oct 31, 2015
"It just cannot work here. Its not commercial enough. Abeg we no fit dance to this one" This are parts of the many excuses most music lovers in this country often give when faced with the question of a Hardcore Hip-hop song making the waves. It is rather sad that great lyricists like Modenine, Boogey, Kahli Abdu etc do not get deserving accolades, praise and airtime for the kind of music they do as people say they are too hardcore and the acceptance of their Music into the Nigerian market has been always extremely poor.

I can't barely recall seeing a Mode9 video been played more than thrice on Music Tv Channels like Soundcity, Nigezie, Hip Tv etc but then once the likes of Cassper Nyovest, Khuli Chana, Anatii, AKA, Da Les etc drop a new song, and by this I mean "core" hip hop tune, our TV stations embrace them and play it a lot, our radio stations now have South African songs on their charts. This happens, nevertheless while our own "core" hip-hop songs are ignored and not appreciated. Recently an upcoming artiste, Ola Dips sang about this as he bared out his pains on this situation.

Please do not get me wrong as I find nothing wrong with the growth of South African music in our country as I have to admit most of their songs are top notch but then isn't it mere hypocrisy and almost another afro-neo-slave mentality that we cannot support ours but easily accept other's?

Written by prettyHausaGirl for

www.nairatunes..co.ke/2015/10/the-hypocrisy-of-nigerians-castigating.html?m=1

Cc: lalasticlala
Re: Our Hypocrisy : Castigating Nigeria's But Accepting South Africa's Hip-hop! by fulaniHERDSman(m): 1:27pm On Oct 31, 2015
I think it has to do with orientation. Majority of Nigerians are not into core rap. Most artistes you know start with rap but had to cross over cause of poor patronage. cool

1 Like

Re: Our Hypocrisy : Castigating Nigeria's But Accepting South Africa's Hip-hop! by frankcris(m): 1:27pm On Oct 31, 2015
Are you an artist?
Re: Our Hypocrisy : Castigating Nigeria's But Accepting South Africa's Hip-hop! by Hannysmilez(f): 1:32pm On Oct 31, 2015
Its as they say;A prophet has no honor in his hometown.
Re: Our Hypocrisy : Castigating Nigeria's But Accepting South Africa's Hip-hop! by PrettyHausaGirl(f): 1:34pm On Oct 31, 2015
frankcris:
Are you an artist?
Nope. Just a music columnist.
Re: Our Hypocrisy : Castigating Nigeria's But Accepting South Africa's Hip-hop! by Nobody: 1:35pm On Oct 31, 2015
I'll rather embrace Sudanese music than accept airforce.1's noise grin

6 Likes

Re: Our Hypocrisy : Castigating Nigeria's But Accepting South Africa's Hip-hop! by kayo80(m): 1:37pm On Oct 31, 2015
Pretty Hausa girl, even in America, hardcore hip hop don't sell like it used to. And about Nigerian statiosn playing Casper in stead of Mode9, you have to realize that times have changed. You have to add a little melody to your raps now, and that's hat people like Casper and AKA of South Africa do. And who says Nigerian rappers don't get airplay. What of Vector and his King Kong song and remix/ Those are pure rap songs. What of Local Rappers, and all the other Phyno and Olamide collabos where they rap their butt's off? They are not club songs, but RAP SONGS.

1 Like

Re: Our Hypocrisy : Castigating Nigeria's But Accepting South Africa's Hip-hop! by frankcris(m): 1:59pm On Oct 31, 2015
PrettyHausaGirl:

Nope. Just a music columnist.

now I understand your reason for that
Re: Our Hypocrisy : Castigating Nigeria's But Accepting South Africa's Hip-hop! by Airforce1(m): 2:00pm On Oct 31, 2015
STFUareyouGod:
I'll rather embrace a Sudanese music than accept airforce.1's noise grin
The only time I remember you exist is when you mention my name grin

1 Like

Re: Our Hypocrisy : Castigating Nigeria's But Accepting South Africa's Hip-hop! by Nobody: 2:34pm On Oct 31, 2015
Airforce1:

The only time I remember you exist is when you mention my name grin
wack
Re: Our Hypocrisy : Castigating Nigeria's But Accepting South Africa's Hip-hop! by osamaBUSH(m): 2:39pm On Oct 31, 2015
Kekyawaryarhausa, you always seem to be rooting for hardcore rap. Perhaps you should give it a go. You never can tell you might just be what the game needs to pic up steam out here.
Re: Our Hypocrisy : Castigating Nigeria's But Accepting South Africa's Hip-hop! by PrettyHausaGirl(f): 12:23am On Nov 01, 2015
Lalasticlala oooo
Re: Our Hypocrisy : Castigating Nigeria's But Accepting South Africa's Hip-hop! by shizzy7(f): 12:55am On Nov 01, 2015
PrettyHausaGirl:
"It just cannot work here. Its not commercial enough. Abeg we no fit dance to this one" This are parts of the many excuses most music lovers in this country often give when faced with the question of a Hardcore Hip-hop song making the waves. It is rather sad that great lyricists like Modenine, Boogey, Kahli Abdu etc do not get deserving accolades, praise and airtime for the kind of music they do as people say they are too hardcore and the acceptance of their Music into the Nigerian market has been always extremely poor.

I can't barely recall seeing a Mode9 video been played more than thrice on Music Tv Channels like Soundcity, Nigezie, Hip Tv etc but then once the likes of Cassper Nyovest, Khuli Chana, Anatii, AKA, Da Les etc drop a new song, and by this I mean "core" hip hop tune, our TV stations embrace them and play it a lot, our radio stations now have South African songs on their charts. This happens, nevertheless while our own "core" hip-hop songs are ignored and not appreciated. Recently an upcoming artiste, Ola Dips sang about this as he bared out his pains on this situation.

Please do not get me wrong as I find nothing wrong with the growth of South African music in our country as I have to admit most of their songs are top notch but then isn't it mere hypocrisy and almost another afro-neo-slave mentality that we cannot support ours but easily accept other's?

Written by prettyHausaGirl for

www.nairatunes..co.ke/2015/10/the-hypocrisy-of-nigerians-castigating.html?m=1

Cc: lalasticlala
Do you live in Nigeria? I don't know all these people and our radio & TV channels/parties don't play most of them..Except diamond platinumz, khona & the sound...

The channels you listed are African, so they play every song from diff. countries.

Share the gala, share the buzz, le buzz, le buzz -
Whatever genre that is..... That's whatsup in parries.
Re: Our Hypocrisy : Castigating Nigeria's But Accepting South Africa's Hip-hop! by Nobody: 2:12am On Nov 01, 2015
PrettyHausaGirl:
Lalasticlala oooo

(1) (Reply)

Matured Lagos Lady Goes Unclad On Instagram Just To Celebrate Her Birthday / Kcee's Billionaire Brother E-money Shares New Photos Of His Wife & Kids / Ma Girl Say's Ma Abs Looks Like Peter's Own..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.