Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,887 members, 7,838,179 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 04:47 PM

Buhari Ministers: We Are Ready To Work For Free - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Ministers: We Are Ready To Work For Free (518 Views)

President Buhari, Ministers At Federal Executive Council Meeting Today (photos) / Panic Grips Buhari’s Ministers / Senate Screens Buhari’s Ministers – LIVE UPDATES (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Ministers: We Are Ready To Work For Free by KOLZY(m): 11:33am On Nov 01, 2015

After President Muhammadu Buhari said last Friday that Nigeria is broke and he might not be able to pay ministers, some minister-designates have said they are ready to work for free.

Adebayo Shittu and Professor Isaac Adewole were among those who announced this. The ministers, who along with their colleagues are expected to be sworn in and given portfolios any moment from now, described their appointment as a call to service.

Shittu, representing Oyo state at the yet-to-be-constituted Federal Executive Council, said he was ready to give his services for free to Nigeria if that was what the situation demanded.

According to Shittu, who is also a legal practitioner and human rights activist, what matters is the intention to serve and not the financial benefits.

“It is an issue of national service. There is nothing too much to sacrifice. If that is what our situation in Nigeria demands, then we must put ourselves up selflessly. We cannot say because of selfishness, we cannot work selflessly,” he said.

“With my background as somebody from a very humble family, I know what poverty is and I have been experiencing it. I have been dogged in conforming to the dictates of politics and poverty. There is nothing too much to sacrifice for the service of our people,” he added.

Adewole, a former vice chancellor of the University of Ibadan, in a statement signed by his media aide Sunday Saanu, said he was ready to serve the nation without pay.

Saanu who is to represent Osun state said: “It is a great honour to serve one’s fatherland and I can tell you Prof. Adewole is ready to serve Nigeria without collecting salaries. Everything is not about money. It is a privilege and a great honour to serve. This is what he was doing at his former school. He was paying some teachers employed to complement government’s efforts.

“He is not driven by money but passion to make positive impact in the nation in whatever capacity.”

The former governor of Rivers state, Rotimi Amaechi, also said he did not accept to be a minister for personal and pecuniary gains.

According to Amaechi’s former aide, Ibim Semenitari, he is interested in the development of Nigeria. “If he (President Buhari) has not said that he would not pay ministers, the question of whether he (Amaechi) will work for free should not be necessary. We know that we are currently dealing with hard times. For us as a country, we will manage our cost,” Ibim Semenitari said.

“He (Amaechi) has never run for anything because he is looking for money. His interest is in the development of Nigeria,” the former aide added.
Re: Buhari Ministers: We Are Ready To Work For Free by chimoskyg(m): 11:37am On Nov 01, 2015
All I see is Change ministers grin

Keep the likes coming for the ministers dat will work 4free
Re: Buhari Ministers: We Are Ready To Work For Free by Elosky20: 11:38am On Nov 01, 2015
by stealing our money for free
Re: Buhari Ministers: We Are Ready To Work For Free by 48noble(m): 11:51am On Nov 01, 2015
PMB should say no security allowance, no power to award contracts, but a disclosed stipends of #100k a month...less see who wants to b minister....

Nigerians will see how this greedy men will start nominating and defending youths for ministers sad

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Ministers: We Are Ready To Work For Free by malton: 11:55am On Nov 01, 2015
Good devt.
Seriously though, Mr president should concentrate more efforts on ways to best get our economy out of the current woes, than on lamentations. Or was he not aware of the mess that has been made of the country whilst he sought office? This is time for consultation and formation of effective policies. Oil prices may be crashing, but the human resource remains, and in it lies our greatest comparative advantage.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Ministers: We Are Ready To Work For Free by osesology(m): 12:41pm On Nov 01, 2015
If I hear

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Rivers Lawmaker Mark Birthday At The Home Of The Elderly / The Potential Situation And Epilogues Of Biafra / (PHOTOS) Unreliable Petrol Stations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.