Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,139 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:59 AM

All That Glitters Are Not Gold-some May Be Shiny Metals (short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / All That Glitters Are Not Gold-some May Be Shiny Metals (short Story) (6814 Views)

All That Glitters............. / Short Story: All That Glitters... / Fate And Fortune(a Short Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

All That Glitters Are Not Gold-some May Be Shiny Metals (short Story) by Ladyo142: 6:58pm On Nov 01, 2015
As told by
A FRIEND OF MINE

For most teenagers,fitting in with a group of like-minded agemates is a dream come true.Some teenagers feel left out among their peers,and when they finally join any group of people that seemingly understand them,they let it get into their heads and get carried away and sometimes are led astray.
That was exactly what happened to ALEXANDRIA.I met Alex when we were both nine years old,it took me almost a year to make her trust me and see me as a true friend,that was because Alex was painfully shy.But over the years ,our friendship waxed strong.
Alex and i kept in contact ,through phone calls and social networking sites,because she and her parents,Mr and Mrs Mgba used to live in Texas.but they moved to Nigeria in 2014 ,we were both 15 years old.I was ecstatic and i only became happier when she began attending my school.
We always hung out with each other at home,but that wasn't the case at school,i was one of the popular kids ,but i still managed to be above average academically.But Alex was quiet and reserved ,she was awkward around strangers and had trouble making friends.
I saw as the other kids gave up on being her friend and how alone she was.i couldn't always be with her because though we were in the same class,we were in different arms.
Re: All That Glitters Are Not Gold-some May Be Shiny Metals (short Story) by thebestonearth(m): 6:58pm On Nov 01, 2015
Ladyo142:
As told by
A FRIEND OF MINE

For most teenagers,fitting in with a group of like-minded agemates is a dream come true.Some teenagers feel left out among their peers,and when they finally join any group of people that seemingly understand them,they let it get into their heads and get carried away and sometimes are led astray.
That was exactly what happened to ALEXANDRIA.I met Alex when we were both nine years old,it took me almost a year to make her trust me and see me as a true friend,that was because Alex was painfully shy.But over the years ,our friendship waxed strong.
Alex and i kept in contact ,through phone calls and social networking sites,because she and her parents,Mr and Mrs Mgba used to live in Texas.but they moved to Nigeria in 2014 ,we were both 15 years old.I was ecstatic and i only became happier when she began attending my school.
We always hung out with each other at home,but that wasn't the case at school,i was one of the popular kids ,but i still managed to be above average academically.But Alex was quiet and reserved ,she was awkward around strangers and had trouble making friends.
I saw as the other kids gave up on being her friend and how alone she was.i couldn't always be with her because though we were in the same class,we were in different arms.
Re: All That Glitters Are Not Gold-some May Be Shiny Metals (short Story) by Ladyo142: 7:17pm On Nov 01, 2015
**CONTINUED**

I thought of what to do to help her.I wanted her to have the happy high school experience i was having.That was when it struck me,i was happy ay school,because i had friends,not just friends but friends whom i was sure,understand and appreciated me.I wanted her to have that,and so i came to a decision.
Re: All That Glitters Are Not Gold-some May Be Shiny Metals (short Story) by Ladyo142: 7:25pm On Nov 01, 2015
**Continued**

The next day,during long break,i took her to all my friends and introduced her to them.as i expected ,they hit it off and became friends with her,she was happy and so was i.
I began to notice that she skipped classes,at first it was once a week ,but then it became frequent.id was worried and confronted her about it,but she said she had been reading the things she missed in the library,i trusted her and let her go after advising her to read only during Free periods after school.
At the end of the term,she came out the 10th position in her class which was suprising as she always took first and she Said she had been readin.i was suspicious and talked to our friends about it.the told me that she was dating another friends of mine called ERIC,and that was distracting her,i didn't believe them,but the advised me to watch her closely.
Re: All That Glitters Are Not Gold-some May Be Shiny Metals (short Story) by Ladyo142: 7:38pm On Nov 01, 2015
**CONTINUED**

I took their advice and snooped around.i found out that she had been sneaking to see him at school and even outside of school.i was angry and scared.
Angry,because she didn't tell me and scared because Eric was a flirt ,he made advances at me and most of my friends and he had gotten what he wanted from most ,if not all of them.i was afraid that due to her naivety,she was a good target for him and i talked to her about it.

During our conversation,she got angry and showed me a part of her i haven't seen before then,she was bold and seemed like a ticking time bomb about to explode.
Re: All That Glitters Are Not Gold-some May Be Shiny Metals (short Story) by Ladyo142: 7:47pm On Nov 01, 2015
**continued**
She said all sort of things including telling me that i was jealous, and i didn't care for her,i was dumbfounded at her new behavior and i decided to keep to my self.
Eric was a very bad type of guy that played a silly game with his friends,about counting the number of girls they could disvirgin.And to my knowledge Eric had one of the highest numbers at 27,and still counting-that made him very dangerous to my dear friend -ALEX.
Re: All That Glitters Are Not Gold-some May Be Shiny Metals (short Story) by Ladyo142: 7:56pm On Nov 01, 2015
*continued*

As the time went by,i noticed she hardly went to school,her academic life was reduced to almost zero ,and i wasn't close to her any more,our parents noticed this and asked me questions concerning our friendship ,but i always found one way or the other to cover it up.

After a while i also noticed she was getting and more reserved just as before
One day i was sitting in my classroom-she (Alex) came up to me and sat close to me,i didn't say a word but she was smiling ,i looked at her and i could see sadness in her eyes,she seemed broken and it made my heart reached out to her,she must had felt it too because she enveloped me in a massive bear hug.
Re: All That Glitters Are Not Gold-some May Be Shiny Metals (short Story) by Ladyo142: 8:16pm On Nov 01, 2015
**continued**

After our hug and exchange of apologies she told me why she had been so reserved.she told me that Eric had coaxed her into sleeping with him more than once and when she told him she hadn't seen her period ,he had offered to help her look for it.she said that they had a quarrel and broke up because,Eric wasn't willing to consider taking responsibility,if indeed she was pregnant.

That day we told her parents everything,we all took her to be tested to see if she was pregnant.both our parents were disappointed,but when we got the results,her parents were not only disappointed but mad with fury.for the first time in 15 years,her mother beat her so much that she nearly fainted.
Re: All That Glitters Are Not Gold-some May Be Shiny Metals (short Story) by Ladyo142: 8:23pm On Nov 01, 2015
*Continued*

she was forced to stay at home,her parents told people that asked after her that she had traveled abroad.her phone was taken from her,her only link with the outside world was me..she was miserable and it hurt me.
At school,i with the help of some of Eric's victims ,set him up and with a very brilliant plan succeeded in getting him expelled for moral misconduct.
When i went to give Alex the good news,i was flaggabasted at what i saw.
I saw her,my best friend -hanging from the ceiling fan by a rope.
Re: All That Glitters Are Not Gold-some May Be Shiny Metals (short Story) by Ladyo142: 8:47pm On Nov 01, 2015
*Continued*

I was in shock,i couldn't move or screen ,for almost five minutes ,i slowly sat on the ground and stared at her lifeless body,like she wasn't real ,like she was in a horror movie,No! It couldnt be real.
Slowly my eyes began to water and that was it-i broke down and wept dorm what felt like and eternity,i tried calling her parents,but i couldn't reach them so i called my dad and left a voice mail,then i continued to stare at her.

By the time my father arrived,i was like a zombie,i was devoid of emotions,i culdnt cry anymore and i couldn't eat,i watched with a straight face as ALEXANDRIA WA PUT IN AN AMBULANCE AND DRIVEN AWAY...
Re: All That Glitters Are Not Gold-some May Be Shiny Metals (short Story) by Ladyo142: 8:56pm On Nov 01, 2015
**Continued**

During her burial,i didn't cry,i only watched with a lack of interest,i didn't feel any emotions,even the speech by the priest didn't move me like it did to others.
When i was called to throw some dust on her coffin and bid her eternal peace,i stood transfixed because it finally dawned on me that i had lost a friend,a sister ,one of the most important people in my life and all the tears that seemed nowhere to be found for weeks came flooding my eyes and i cried a lot as pain enveloped my heart.i regretted tryin to change her,i regretted letting Eric destroy her,as i cried ,i got weaker and weaker ,and as i fell into a state of unconsciousness,i heard the priest said
"she was blinded by the thought of peer acceptance ,and she thought she had found true love,little did she know,that,all that glitters is not gold".

HE WAS RIGHT,I ONLY I HAD KNOWN BEFORE HAND.....

THE END
Re: All That Glitters Are Not Gold-some May Be Shiny Metals (short Story) by Nobody: 8:58pm On Nov 01, 2015
Touching cry
Re: All That Glitters Are Not Gold-some May Be Shiny Metals (short Story) by Ladyo142: 9:04pm On Nov 01, 2015
Snowangel4:
Touching cry
yeahcry
Re: All That Glitters Are Not Gold-some May Be Shiny Metals (short Story) by morsadh(m): 9:40pm On Nov 01, 2015
Nice. Short and precise.
Re: All That Glitters Are Not Gold-some May Be Shiny Metals (short Story) by Ladyo142: 6:07am On Nov 02, 2015
morsadh:
Nice. Short and precise.
thanks
Re: All That Glitters Are Not Gold-some May Be Shiny Metals (short Story) by stteejax(m): 9:53am On Nov 02, 2015
Nice story...

(1) (Reply)

Chinua Achebe And Wole Soyinka / Nora Roberts Novels / I Wish I Were A Lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.