Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,157 members, 7,825,616 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:50 PM

MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine - Investment (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine (17143 Views)

MMM Considers 40 Percent Interest As Participants Reduce, Demand Withdrawals / Trading In MTN Shares Suspended After $5.2bn Nigerian Fine / MTN: Foreign Impression Of The NCC Fine. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by redcliff: 10:41pm On Nov 02, 2015
all4naija:
Instead of paying the money to NCC it should be used directly by MTN to develop social infrastructure for youths, schools, create green parks around the country, etc. If this money is pay to NCC we aren't going to see anything comes out of it because the leaders are all f**king corrupt. They are going to divert it to their own accounts.
how and who is going to oversee this and what mechanism would they use to do it. That same thing you are avoiding would happen in your proposed scenario real quick...
Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by BuddhaPalm(m): 10:47pm On Nov 02, 2015
menix:
Osinbanjo nd Co. Pls oo make una no heed to MTN crocodile tears ooo..

These idiots called my line ysterday with 0757, picked the call noticed it was MTN I had to drop the call only to be debited #50 for subscription of their product I don't even know about..

If they called 5 million nigerian yesterday they have made 250million just like that..

I pray on NCC to increase the fine to $10 billion, these guyz can easily pay it without touching their 2nd account..

MTN must chi chon chin this Last quarter..

grin grin
Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by aspirebig: 10:47pm On Nov 02, 2015
femoyor:

It is a pity that its because of pple like u dat nigeria will forever remain where it is. U can not compare bvn with sim registration. All banks put restriction on pple account from friday eve wen d deadline elapsed meaning dey all complied. Pple like u just want outsider to disgrace our country and still cum back and say buhari is a bigot. I pity u and ur kind

F9 abi wetin b your name, I no send u o.
Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by Nobody: 10:50pm On Nov 02, 2015
aspirebig:
What about NEPA, who will fine them for ripping Nigerians off from time immemorial.

We still buy fuel even at N200 to N250 per litre, (oil producing country indeed, in Late Fela voice "suffering and smiling"wink, we buy generator, service the generator, buy inverters, buy the batteries, pay for installation, buy solar too and install it. We still pay NEPA bills....what a country? Hypocrisy everywhere.

People pay for services not rendered and the citizens are compelled to pay, either on postpaid or prepaid platform. NEPA make billions monthly and the money ends partly in private hands. Same with the old Nitel.....or are they SA companies too?

We are sending wrong signals to the international bodies,potential foreign investors and world at large. Nigeria is over 55 years and grossly undeveloped. So Nigerians alone cannot develop Nigeria, we need other people just as they need us. You can fine, nobody is saying you can't, but not this huge amount?

Even America, I mean America has alot of China investments in their country. They never fine them $1b, with all their infrastructures o, like constant light, good roads, security, friendly government policies, no community issues o, like Omonile while building a base station, or a customer touch points, no area boys, no multiple taxation,etc. Doing business in Nigeria is not that easy, coupled with all the issues on ground before. It is easy to stay in the comfort of your room and on your laptop and criticise others.

The same Nigerians will ignore the calls or sms to go and register their lines. Nobody blames NCC for that.

See what happened in BVN recently, most people refused to comply till last minute,. Why has CBN not fined the banks that defaulted in blocking people accounts? Or are fraudsters, kidnappers, looters of national treasury etc using banks in the moon and sky?
They use our banks, the same banks like everyone.
A popular new generation bank sent emails to all their customers today on BVN, both those that have registered and those who have not.

Where is all the refunded Abacha loot? Nigerians should be asking questions on these things.

Even if you give Nigeria government $10b today, 97% or more of the money will end in private individuals account. So most people are happy about the fine, like they share out of it. Kobo, you won't see.

Where is all the Internally Generated Revenues (IGR) going into both states and federal?

The biggest problem in Nigeria is Nigerians.Until we change our mindset, no "change" will take place.

MTN remains the best network, not only in Nigeria but across Africa. Take it or leave it. Put sentiments aside and just be objective.

So the other networks are saints? Story.

The question is how come other networks compiled but MTN didn't? I thought MTN are good at strategic policies, why didn't they lure their customers to register their lines?
The so called best network subscribe customers to services he or she didn't opt for up to a point that other networks have copied the fraudulent style(airtel the champion).
The best network that have rude customer care agent hanging on people's calls or talking anyhow to customers. The so called best network that said per second billing isn't possible but changed immediately glo introduced that. They should comply with the laws by NCC because they were are aware of the consequence.

1 Like

Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by 14(m): 10:56pm On Nov 02, 2015
Vado:
I don't think this MTN fine thing is just about unregistered sims alone. Afterall, other mobile networks can't be said to have done theirs 100%. Think it's part of a larger diplomatic dispute playing out. SA goveernment had kinda disrespected us which became more vocal in the last administration. Maybe it's a way of getting back at them cos that amount is quite outrageous.

Stanbic ibtc was fined also, another bank majority owned by south africa's Standard bank. Diplomatic dispite indeed. I wont be surprised if DStv wont be targeted also. This is just a warning for any SA company that wished to invest in nigeria, its now game over. Nigeria wont see any investments from any SA company anytime soon after all this drama. The message is clear, south africans, you are not needed.
Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by 14(m): 11:03pm On Nov 02, 2015
ehinmowo:
while we recognise that what MTN did was a security breach and open defiance to authority, we should not also forget the following
1. MTN employs thousands of Nigerians directly or indirectly
2. MTN foundation award scholarship, build university connects e.t.c
3. MTN believed in the potency of Nigeria market when others were running away
4. MTN breaks monopoly just as other telecom companies breaks monopoly (remove MTN and u are one step closer to monopoly)
5. MTN has announced to quote in NSE next year which will boost the stock market

Therefore, it will be humane if got could reduce her fine

I doubt it will be reduced, nigeria is currently broke, where will 2016 budget come from when oil price has dropped by 60%. Nigeria will only manage to raise $10billion for budget for 2016, there will be a shortfall of almost $15bn, so this fines are a way to rais the shortfall, desperate calls for desperate messures.
Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by Nnachi404(m): 11:03pm On Nov 02, 2015
aspirebig:
What about NEPA, who will fine them for ripping Nigerians off from time immemorial.

We still buy fuel even at N200 to N250 per litre, (oil producing country indeed, in Late Fela voice "suffering and smiling"wink, we buy generator, service the generator, buy inverters, buy the batteries, pay for installation, buy solar too and install it. We still pay NEPA bills....what a country? Hypocrisy everywhere.

People pay for services not rendered and the citizens are compelled to pay, either on postpaid or prepaid platform. NEPA make billions monthly and the money ends partly in private hands. Same with the old Nitel.....or are they SA companies too?

We are sending wrong signals to the international bodies,potential foreign investors and world at large. Nigeria is over 55 years and grossly undeveloped. So Nigerians alone cannot develop Nigeria, we need other people just as they need us. You can fine, nobody is saying you can't, but not this huge amount?

Even America, I mean America has alot of China investments in their country. They never fine them $1b, with all their infrastructures o, like constant light, good roads, security, friendly government policies, no community issues o, like Omonile while building a base station, or a customer touch points, no area boys, no multiple taxation,etc. Doing business in Nigeria is not that easy, coupled with all the issues on ground before. It is easy to stay in the comfort of your room and on your laptop and criticise others.

The same Nigerians will ignore the calls or sms to go and register their lines. Nobody blames NCC for that.

See what happened in BVN recently, most people refused to comply till last minute,. Why has CBN not fined the banks that defaulted in blocking people accounts? Or are fraudsters, kidnappers, looters of national treasury etc using banks in the moon and sky?
A popular new generation bank sent emails to all their customers today on BVN, both those that have registered and those who have not.

Where is all the refunded Abacha loot? Nigerians should be asking questions on these things.

Even if you give Nigeria government $10b today, 97% or more of the money will end in private individuals account. So most people are happy about the fine, like they share out of it. Kobo, you won't see.

Where is all the Internally Generated Revenues (IGR) going into both for states and federal?

The biggest problem in Nigeria is Nigerians.Until we change our mindset, no "change" will take place.

MTN remains the best network, not only in Nigeria but across Africa. Take it or leave it. Put sentiments aside and just be objective.

if you are working with mtn guy start looking for job cos God want to pay them the way the use to pay nigerians
Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by aspirebig: 11:10pm On Nov 02, 2015
Nnachi404:
if you are working with mtn guy start looking for job cos God want to pay them the way the use to pay nigerians

Are you working with NEPA?
Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by Osolo1(m): 11:13pm On Nov 02, 2015
I recall the South African government are yet to repatriate our $15 million they seized last year on the butched arms deal inspite of the several pleas .Them never see anything yet,they were busy forming Shau khan.E go clear for their eyes soon.A new sherrif is in town.
Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by coldgate(f): 11:15pm On Nov 02, 2015
DSTV is next.
Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by ferhyntorlah(f): 11:22pm On Nov 02, 2015
trapQ:
trust me, I owe mtn 500naira and I just threw the damn sim away. grin

Hmmmmm, please pay that N500 debt. It will speak against you where it matters most to you.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

1 Like

Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by InvertedHammer: 11:44pm On Nov 02, 2015
aspirebig:

Where is all the Internally Generated Revenues (IGR) going into both for states and federal?

/
Any little progress made, just like early Israelites and Moses on the way to the promised land, you people will cry for things to return to status quo ante because of little inconveniences.

Incredible!
/
Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by Kx: 12:07am On Nov 03, 2015
14:

Stanbic ibtc was fined also, another bank majority owned by south africa's Standard bank. Diplomatic dispite indeed. I wont be surprised if DStv wont be targeted also. This is just a warning for any SA company that wished to invest in nigeria, its now game over. Nigeria wont see any investments from any SA company anytime soon after all this drama. The message is clear, south africans, you are not needed.

Una Sabi generalise without double checking?

FBN paid a fine of over N1.2billion for flouting TSA, na SA company?
UBA has been fine over N2.4billion for flouting TSA na Mbeki company?
Haba, must we whip up sentiments and generalise wrongly just to support willful and complete disregard for the law of the land?

Was UBA not fined and penalized some years back in USA over corporate breaches?
Why are we like this for crying out loud?

2 Likes

Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by abidex0z(m): 12:11am On Nov 03, 2015
haha :Phaha
Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by dominusgai(m): 1:10am On Nov 03, 2015
jomoh:

Correct guy. If only I fit troway dia sim.

I've been using it since I think 2004. My glo is my private line.

Those people are wicked but I've gotten their tactics.

I delete their text immediately

I don't pick odd numbers except its 180

And I'm careful when pressing or picking up my phone so as not to press yes to their dubious flash messages.
bros you can port and still keep your number. i just ported from mtn toetisalat today. the whole process took less than 30 minutes
Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by trapQ: 5:34am On Nov 03, 2015
lol. you're funny.

they should first pay me back all the money they've stolen from me, and pay my sister her 7500naira they unjustly took.
ferhyntorlah:

Hmmmmm, please pay that N500 debt. It will speak against you where it matters most to you.

Two wrongs don't make a right.
Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by sanandreas(m): 5:50am On Nov 03, 2015
Temmytea70:
. Abeg,show me d way
it's simple. Visit phone section and search for simple server setting and ur andriod must be rooted
Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by femoyor: 6:09am On Nov 03, 2015
aspirebig:

F9 abi wetin b your name, I no send u o.
If u no send me, pple plenty wey send me. Ewu
Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by wolexy07(m): 6:46am On Nov 03, 2015
Words cannot express my delight at this news! It was long overdue! The 'in your face' manner Telcos go about robbing millions of Nigerians is pathetic and very saddening. NCC people, abeg, if una wan make heaven, don't give in to their BS talk ooo! In fact, vex and increase it sef. NCC needs to do more of this! Airtel, Big Brother is watching you. You're next! cheesy grin grin

1 Like

Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by rman: 6:52am On Nov 03, 2015
Kx:

Una Sabi generalise without double checking?

FBN paid a fine of over N1.2billion for flouting TSA, na SA company?
UBA has been fine over N2.4billion for flouting TSA na Mbeki company?
Haba, must we whip up sentiments and generalise wrongly just to support willful and complete disregard for the law of the land?

Was UBA not fined and penalized some years back in USA over corporate breaches?
Why are we like this for crying out loud?

TSA is government money. Technically banks have no money.
Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by wolexy07(m): 7:07am On Nov 03, 2015
fr3do:
What would the NCC do with that much fine?

Oga ade, which kain question you ask so? undecided Make I comment my reserve sha...
Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by Kx: 7:11am On Nov 03, 2015
rman:

TSA is government money. Technically banks have no money.

In otherwords the burden of the fines paid by the banks has no effects on d banks according to u abi?
Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by agog: 7:17am On Nov 03, 2015
aspirebig:

Do you know MTN disregarded NCC directive to deactive all sim cards not registered? It is no longer a matter of paying fine but of national security. Do you know that the numbers used in contacting Falae family when he was kidnapped belong to MTN which are not registered ?
You can't brake South Africa laws and get away with it. They should pay and this will serve as deterrentthe to others.
Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by wolexy07(m): 7:25am On Nov 03, 2015
Vado:
I don't think this MTN fine thing is just about unregistered sims alone. Afterall, other mobile networks can't be said to have done theirs 100%. Think it's part of a larger diplomatic dispute playing out. SA goveernment had kinda disrespected us which became more vocal in the last administration. Maybe it's a way of getting back at them cos that amount is quite outrageous.

There is definitely more to it than meets the eye but, the fact that they finally get their comeuppance makes me not to give a fork. grin
Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by Fweezy(m): 7:26am On Nov 03, 2015
Now is the time to push for number portability away from the MTN network to better service networks while still retaining their MTN numbers (for those who are scared of loosing their longtime owned MTN numbers). MTN probably saw this fine coming a few years back so they found a way to make subscribers hold on to their lines long enough to make it difficult to change their lines if anything like this happened. They didn't forsee number portability springing up to puncture their bubble. So I don't see how they are going to slice anybody to make up for paying their fine afterwards. Or better still as in this royal rumble, other network providers shud work together and tip MTN over the ropes by giving credit bonuses to MTN subscribers who port permanently to their networks. This will drive MTN to the edge and break their monoply and overbearing menace on us all.

PapiDShipCapt:
d way MTN will slice their subscribers like a 2 edged sword just to recover from their loss will be so gruesome.

Their own discrepancies sef just too much, I woke up one day to find out my sim wasn't active no more, the next day people started complaining that when they called my number what they hear from the receiving end is a woman's voice saying "hello, ti o ti wa sọrọ". why and how did they allocate my registered and active line to another customer still dey surprise me till date.
Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by ojnnaco(m): 7:36am On Nov 03, 2015
my fear is that they might pay and indirectly collect back the money of they hapless customers..
Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by HRich(m): 7:40am On Nov 03, 2015
Adesiji77:

http://businessdayonline.com/2015/11/mtn-seeks-to-reduce-5-2bn-ncc-fine/ lalasticlala, davide470
The Fine should have been $10.4bn MTN to wicked.
Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by teemy(m): 7:49am On Nov 03, 2015
In as much as MTN should be fined for not taking a national security issue seriously it would be unethical for us as a nation to dig our teeth into them for our 2016 budjet. I believe it should be revised and the lesson has been learnt by MTN and other bodies as well.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by HRich(m): 7:51am On Nov 03, 2015
aspirebig:

Honestly Sir. You can take your Case to Court if you have forgottn this is Nigeria. Mtn should pay the fine or you can help them and pay it. Thank you dear.
Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by Raymondluv(m): 7:55am On Nov 03, 2015
jomoh:

They will never slice me. I have two of their sims and the two are on debit presently. That is how its going to be for at least 3months. Except for contingencies.

Temporarily switched over to glo. Being making calls with free minutes since last week.

I will even encourage Nigerians to borrow money on their MTN sims and if they can afford to not load on the sim at least for 3months.
what if you nor load for 3 month dem go forget
Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by rman: 8:17am On Nov 03, 2015
Kx:

In otherwords the burden of the fines paid by the banks has no effects on d banks according to u abi?

Yes, TSA is government money held by banks to do business. Government is asking for her money back. In MTNs case, it is money belonging to a business.
Re: MTN Seeks To Reduce $5.2bn NCC Fine by jomoh: 8:27am On Nov 03, 2015
Raymondluv:
what if you nor load for 3 month dem go forget

Nobody said anything about them forgetting.

It is not about them forgetting cos obviously its not possible.

It is actually about reducing their revenue generation for a period of time till they pay the fine.

It will send a clear message to them that Nigerians don't enjoy their services.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Deposit Insurance Corporation Warns Against Cryptocurrency / Where Can I Sell My TBC (kringle Cash) Or Who Is Up To Buy /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.