Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,428 members, 7,861,193 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 06:34 AM

Opinion: Should We Give Money To Beggars? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Opinion: Should We Give Money To Beggars? (572 Views)

Oba Abdulrasheed Adewale Akanbi Shares Money To Villagers (Photos) / Giving Money To Beggars Vs Giving Money As Offering Which Means More To God? / African Belives Beggars Belief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Opinion: Should We Give Money To Beggars? by haskell(m): 9:35am On Nov 03, 2015
Back to those schooling days, when swarms of children surged upon you for a 50 bucks or more. Intimidated by their innocence, I gave each one of them some change which I garnered for traveling fare.

Later in the evening I witnessed their guardians thrashing and pummeling them for not getting enough "wage". Some fathers were seen drinking and gambling from that money. I have no clue as to how large this sham network is spread. Since then, I never granted alms to children.

So basically, I learned from experiences that one should wear an impenetrable armor when you confront these situations. Consolidate your concern towards NGOs and Trusts. if you really want to make a difference. That way you know your efforts are not doomed.

I prepare food with my church guys and distribute among children/physically disabled on auspicious occasions and watch them eat then and there instead of giving money. A couple of my friends even volunteer for the nearest free education fund raising schemes at times. Its the best form of practicing altruism without any hue of guilt!

What do you think?

cc: lalasticlala, introverted, seun
Re: Opinion: Should We Give Money To Beggars? by Nobody: 1:31am On Nov 05, 2015
haskell:
Back to those schooling days, when swarms of children surged upon you for a 50 bucks or more. Intimidated by their innocence, I gave each one of them some change which I garnered for traveling fare.

Later in the evening I witnessed their guardians thrashing and pummeling them for not getting enough "wage". Some fathers were seen drinking and gambling from that money. I have no clue as to how large this sham network is spread. Since then, I never granted alms to children.

So basically, I learned from experiences that one should wear an impenetrable armor when you confront these situations. Consolidate your concern towards NGOs and Trusts. if you really want to make a difference. That way you know your efforts are not doomed.

I prepare food with my church guys and distribute among children/physically disabled on auspicious occasions and watch them eat then and there instead of giving money. A couple of my friends even volunteer for the nearest free education fund raising schemes at times. Its the best form of practicing altruism without any hue of guilt!

What do you think?

cc: lalasticlala, introverted, seun

Give not grudgedly or of necessity. No one knows where the rivers flow. It is those parents consequences what they do. Just give. 50 bucks won't make or break you but it could mean life or death for someone else

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Guess Which Ethnic In Nigeria Belong This Song / Merry Christmas Wishes Messages 2015 / Happy New Year Whatsapp Status

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.