Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,960 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:16 PM

Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? - NYSC (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? (18561 Views)

Federal Government Denies Scrapping NYSC Scheme / Nysc: Compulsory, Voluntary Or Scrapped (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Walexsammy(m): 3:08pm On Nov 03, 2015
Orikinla:

[size=18pt]A good education system will not need NYSC members as teaching staff.
In a civilized system of education, no NYSC graduate is qualified to teach, because you cannot teach without a teachers certification.
The use of NYSC members as teachers contributed to the depreciation of the standard of secondary school education in Nigeria caused by unqualified teachers.
Have you seen the disgraceful poor knowledge of English of majority of NYSC members?
And English is the official language for teaching pupils and students in Nigeria.
So, how can they be good teachers when they cannot even express themselves in standard English grammar?
And their English comprehension is terrible. [/size]
thank u brother, imagine me been forced to teach...Na lecturing ah dey lecture them...

1 Like

Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by airsaylongcon: 3:08pm On Nov 03, 2015
batulakarada:

Do you know how many secondary school girls that have been impregnated by male corpers?

Are you saying that because some unscrupulous men have failed to control their p3n¡s the entire programme should be scrapped? Do you know how many university (and in a lot of cases secondary school) girls have been impregnated by those big bellied hallowed red chamber occupants? Should we now scrap the legislature because of that?

By the time village boys mete out justice on d erring corper eye go clear
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by airsaylongcon: 3:10pm On Nov 03, 2015
Orikinla:

[size=18pt]A good education system will not need NYSC members as teaching staff.
In a civilized system of education, no NYSC graduate is qualified to teach, because you cannot teach without a teachers certification.
The use of NYSC members as teachers contributed to the depreciation of the standard of secondary school education in Nigeria caused by unqualified teachers.
Have you seen the disgraceful poor knowledge of English of majority of NYSC members?
And English is the official language for teaching pupils and students in Nigeria.
So, how can they be good teachers when they cannot even express themselves in standard English grammar?
And their English comprehension is terrible. [/size]

Whether rightly or wrongly, these Corp members provide an economic value to Nigeria. The person I quoted said they provided NO economic value.
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Nov 03, 2015
Your opinions or comments no count please stop wasting your time . The main benefits of NYSC IS FOR THE RICH AND MIGHTY GIVEN THE LIFE CONTRACT TO DESIGN AND SUPPLY ALL THAT FAKE/substandard kits... IBB and some others .. While poor kids from poor family lose their lives every year .. From serving the stupid nation.. I pity someone them that carry nysc on their head as do or die affair.. I will serve God only.. Waiting My papers then I can serve a better country ...
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Mozeez14: 3:12pm On Nov 03, 2015
Listic1:
With the passing out of ‘2014 Batch C’ Corps Members, I have been forced to revisit the issue of the utility of the NYSC Scheme. I understand that this is a particularly controversial subject to discuss. It is obviously so because of the very emotional attachment many people have to the Scheme. The reasons why people have this sentimental attachment to the Scheme is really not the point here. The purpose of this polemic is, rather, a dispassionate review of the original aim of the Scheme and a critical evaluation of its success or otherwise in the light of how it is currently run.

Immediately after the wholly unfortunate Nigeria-Biafra War, the military government of the day, led by then Lieutenant Colonel Yakubu Gowon, whilst taking a clue from countries with similar arrangements, introduced what is now known as the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Scheme through the instrumentality of what was then the NYSC Decree, 1973 but now the NYSC Act, CAP N84, LFN 2004. The purpose for the innovation, when the long list of objectives is carefully considered, is: the integration of the diverse people of Nigeria. The reason for this is not farfetched. The avoidable war had completely made nonsense of the shaky unity that existed prior to 1967 when the war officially started and had also crystallised the grave misgivings and mistrusts entertained by the disparate people of a country that was cobbled together by the British Colonialists.

As much as I want to commend the government of the time for the foresight which led to the establishment of the Scheme, I am having serious difficulties convincing myself as to why it should be sustained. The great majority of those who think that the Scheme should be sustained believe that it makes for the integration of the country because it provides a rare opportunity for the young people of Nigeria to network and create alliances across the nation that will be useful to them for the present and in the future. Essentially, that it is a veritable tool for national cohesion. While I agree substantially with the good sense in this view, it appears as though it has no practical application in contemporary Nigeria. In order to appreciate this position, one question becomes pertinent: how much integration has the country recorded after the forty or so years that the Scheme has been fully operational?

In fact, how can we achieve integration in this fractious nation when we still insist on indigeneship - for example, that a citizen of Nigeria, a young Nigerian for that matter, should pay more for tuition simply for studying in a university owned by the government of a state other than his even though he was born in that state and has lived all his life there. What about situations where Nigerians are denied job opportunities just because they are not indigenous to the states where the opportunities arose even though, like the immediate example above, they were born there and have lived all their lives there? Even if one tries to agree with the integration argument, will the Scheme receive a fair grade in any objective assessment when we realise that only a tiny percentage of the entire population - Nigerians who graduated before the age of thirty from recognised tertiary institutions - participates in it? This is as opposed to other countries where most adults (people from age 18) participate and are given full military training in order for them to be able to defend the fatherland in case of a serious threat to the corporate existence of their countries. And this, to my mind, is the fundamental basis of national service!

Not too long ago, it was suggested by the NYSC Directorate Headquarters that in the last few years more than two hundred thousand Corps Members are mobilised annually for national service. While one is tempted to salute the managers of the Scheme for addressing the issue of backlog and waiting lists at the universities, one can’t help but wonder whether at this time of dwindling revenues for the federation, there are no better ventures to invest the tens of billions of naira now spent annually on the camping of Corps Members and their monthly allowances. At the rate we are going, one does not need any certification in rocket science to appreciate that we are headed for trouble and that unless something is done, and urgently too, the Scheme will become unsustainable.

The greatest downside for me in the entire arrangement is the fact that the NYSC Scheme is, without any hesitation, a time wasting exercise. For the average young Nigerian, who has written their senior school certificate examination (i.e. WAEC) and university application examination (i.e. JAMB) more than once and who has spent more time than originally anticipated in the university because of strikes by different groups within the university community and other sundry issues, national service is a needless waste of a staggering one year. Even when they are serving, what do the majority of Corps Members actually do? I make bold to say: little or nothing! A good number of Corps Members don’t even visit their Places of Primary Assignment (PPA). They don’t also attend Community Development Service (CDS) Group meetings. Majority only show up in the first week of each month in order to payroll. This is no speculation. If in doubt, ask any honest Corps Member. We cannot continue to waste the prime of our young people as a nation on the altar of an illusory national unity. The poignant part of it all is that most of our young people can hardly compete in a global community where people get their doctorates in their twenties, for instance, when so many irrelevancies are stacked against them.

And this leads me to how the scheme is entrenching corruption in the public service of the country. As I have alluded to in the preceding paragraph, the majority of Corps Members don’t participate in most activities organised by the managers of the Scheme and yet they still get their Certificates of National Service (i.e. Discharge Certificates). And the question is asked: how is this possible? Well, it is quite straightforward, really. There is a satanic collaboration between these offending Corps Members and some of the staff of the Scheme. It has been said that these staff collect a percentage of either the federal or state allowance paid to the Corps Members in order to cover up for them and supply them with vital information. And then I think aloud, can a system as corrupt as this achieve anything worthwhile? I really doubt it.
Of serious concern to most families is how the Scheme is exposing Corps Members, whom so much have been invested in, to grave danger and unnecessary risks. Young graduates in the name of national service are sent to volatile parts of the country and places that they have little or no knowledge of. The implication of this is that these young people are by this arrangement deliberately stationed in harm’s way. Or how do we expect very young people who have not left their part of the country before to be able to find their way around in the event of a civil unrest in their areas of deployment and posting? This is not to mention the fact that these young Nigerians become too self-conscious in a way that is detrimental to their overall wellbeing. The reason is simply that they don’t or can’t understand the language spoken or the cultural practices of their host communities. That is to say, they just can’t fit in! In any case, is a few months an adequate period to do so?

In fact, one can’t successfully conclude any discussion on the security of Corps Members without making reference to the very cruel way in which tens of them were murdered in the aftermath of the 2011 general elections. In a very bizarre twist, these young citizens of Nigeria were gruesomely killed when they were supposedly on national service - contributing their own modest quota to the development of the fatherland. How ironic! Unfortunately, headlines of Corps Members being killed as a result of religious, ethnic and political violence and other sad tales continue to feature in the media. And what do the authorities do? They feign ignorance or quite frankly are unable to address the issue and they thereby leave a good number of these bereaved families - who find it very difficult accessing the much publicised compensation - in agony. Should we continue to unnecessarily risk the lives of the future of our country? I say an emphatic no!

At the heart of the matter then is: what can we do to rescue the Scheme? Is there a chance for reform? Well, after a time of deep reflection, it now appears to me that integrating Nigeria and uniting its people can no longer be successfully achieved by means of the Scheme. Even if that were possible, it is now too costly to continue to do so! This is for the simple reason that the essence of the Scheme, its soul, has long been banished to far-flung regions. Any attempt at reform will, in my view, amount to adding a drop of water in an ocean - an exercise in futility! Therefore, the NYSC Scheme must be suspended. No! It should be scrapped altogether. There are more cost effective ways of achieving the objective for which the Scheme was originally established - and this is assuming that it can really be achieved. And yes, I don’t need any sermonising on how the scrapping of the Scheme will result in job losses and the likes. As I have always argued, everything will balance out!

Respectfully,
@ODNEsq.

Lalasticlala; Seun: Thanks
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by bundur(m): 3:15pm On Nov 03, 2015
Reform it
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by ZUBY77(m): 3:16pm On Nov 03, 2015
I have said a million times that NYSC is a useless scheme.

And you can't believe that I offered to sponsor someone to do her masters in China this year.

Her response: I want to go to my NYSC first, I heard it is the best place to be. Gawd.

The best place to be for who and for what? You are going to an unknown zone in an unstable contraption and you said it's the best place to be. Well she may have other things in mind, just like Mazi Omenuko did in Kogi State grin, but unfortunately I was programmed to suspect everything.

This was a project that was going to make me over $10,000 poorer and other unforseen expenses.

Well, Now she is in camp in Ibadan.
Her monthly 1GB data has been suspended.
The 'Masters' offer is not only off the table, she is going to lose much more than that.

Like me or hate me, I make my own laws....

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Walexsammy(m): 3:16pm On Nov 03, 2015
[quote author=Mozeez14 post=39644355][/quote]
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Mackson01: 3:16pm On Nov 03, 2015
Scrap it. Useless & waste of time
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by airsaylongcon: 3:16pm On Nov 03, 2015
Walexsammy:
everyone shouting scrapped have served, am serving now and I can vividly tell u it's a waste of my precious time

I served in one of the backwaters of Rivers state. And I know what it means when you say "it's a waste of my precious time". But wait till you start working then u will yearn for this so called time you think is been wasted. There's no better time to upgrade your skills than when serving. If I asked you how good your computing skills are you'd probably say very good but if I asked you to do an excel pivot table or an APA bibliographic reference using Ms Word, am I safe to say you will struggle?
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by sambiza(m): 3:20pm On Nov 03, 2015
my dear u can't be more catholic than d pope
certainly majority of the youth are not complaining
if u served u won't be of dis opinion
Nysc .do u know there are villages.creeks.communities with out teacher,dis same youth corper wen posted to schools are source of hope for d children over there..I no fit shout
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by sambiza(m): 3:20pm On Nov 03, 2015
Nysc .do u know there are villages.creeks.communities with out teacher,dis same youth corper wen posted to schools are source of hope for d children over there..I no fit shout
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by airsaylongcon: 3:20pm On Nov 03, 2015
Walexsammy:
In a 'working' country, is it suppose to be so?

That is a philosophical question. My response to the post was the he was wrong to say Corp members don't add any value to the economy. They do by teaching. Whether they should is an entirely different question. Should engineers be working in banks? I guess not. But they do and are adding economic value to the country

1 Like

Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Walexsammy(m): 3:20pm On Nov 03, 2015
airsaylongcon:

I served in one of the backwaters of Rivers state. And I know what it means when you say "it's a waste of my precious time". But wait till you start working then u will yearn for this so called time you think is been wasted. There's no better time to upgrade your skills than when serving. If I asked you how good your computing skills are you'd probably say very good but if I asked you to do an excel pivot table or an APA bibliographic reference using Ms Word, am I safe to say you will struggle?
like uve forgotten we all are posted to different jungles where accessibility to some amenities is really problem. Do u no am somewi in edo where there is no network? More than 15-20Km to the city? Am only able to follow this thread cuz I came to visit a friend.....
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Adiwana: 3:20pm On Nov 03, 2015
Nice piece
Poor pay,lack of corps welfare,poor living state,no improvement,no skill acquisition for corps&most importantly Waste of time&resources..
invest that 1yr,you have your msc

1 Like

Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Mozeez14: 3:22pm On Nov 03, 2015
Yes it should be scrapped. It is really a waste of time considering the huge amount of funds been pumped into the scheme year after year.
Listic1:
With the passing out of ‘2014 Batch C’ Corps Members, I have been forced to revisit the issue of the utility of the NYSC Scheme. I understand that this is a particularly controversial subject to discuss. It is obviously so because of the very emotional attachment many people have to the Scheme. The reasons why people have this sentimental attachment to the Scheme is really not the point here. The purpose of this polemic is, rather, a dispassionate review of the original aim of the Scheme and a critical evaluation of its success or otherwise in the light of how it is currently run.

Immediately after the wholly unfortunate Nigeria-Biafra War, the military government of the day, led by then Lieutenant Colonel Yakubu Gowon, whilst taking a clue from countries with similar arrangements, introduced what is now known as the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Scheme through the instrumentality of what was then the NYSC Decree, 1973 but now the NYSC Act, CAP N84, LFN 2004. The purpose for the innovation, when the long list of objectives is carefully considered, is: the integration of the diverse people of Nigeria. The reason for this is not farfetched. The avoidable war had completely made nonsense of the shaky unity that existed prior to 1967 when the war officially started and had also crystallised the grave misgivings and mistrusts entertained by the disparate people of a country that was cobbled together by the British Colonialists.

As much as I want to commend the government of the time for the foresight which led to the establishment of the Scheme, I am having serious difficulties convincing myself as to why it should be sustained. The great majority of those who think that the Scheme should be sustained believe that it makes for the integration of the country because it provides a rare opportunity for the young people of Nigeria to network and create alliances across the nation that will be useful to them for the present and in the future. Essentially, that it is a veritable tool for national cohesion. While I agree substantially with the good sense in this view, it appears as though it has no practical application in contemporary Nigeria. In order to appreciate this position, one question becomes pertinent: how much integration has the country recorded after the forty or so years that the Scheme has been fully operational?

In fact, how can we achieve integration in this fractious nation when we still insist on indigeneship - for example, that a citizen of Nigeria, a young Nigerian for that matter, should pay more for tuition simply for studying in a university owned by the government of a state other than his even though he was born in that state and has lived all his life there. What about situations where Nigerians are denied job opportunities just because they are not indigenous to the states where the opportunities arose even though, like the immediate example above, they were born there and have lived all their lives there? Even if one tries to agree with the integration argument, will the Scheme receive a fair grade in any objective assessment when we realise that only a tiny percentage of the entire population - Nigerians who graduated before the age of thirty from recognised tertiary institutions - participates in it? This is as opposed to other countries where most adults (people from age 18) participate and are given full military training in order for them to be able to defend the fatherland in case of a serious threat to the corporate existence of their countries. And this, to my mind, is the fundamental basis of national service!

Not too long ago, it was suggested by the NYSC Directorate Headquarters that in the last few years more than two hundred thousand Corps Members are mobilised annually for national service. While one is tempted to salute the managers of the Scheme for addressing the issue of backlog and waiting lists at the universities, one can’t help but wonder whether at this time of dwindling revenues for the federation, there are no better ventures to invest the tens of billions of naira now spent annually on the camping of Corps Members and their monthly allowances. At the rate we are going, one does not need any certification in rocket science to appreciate that we are headed for trouble and that unless something is done, and urgently too, the Scheme will become unsustainable.

The greatest downside for me in the entire arrangement is the fact that the NYSC Scheme is, without any hesitation, a time wasting exercise. For the average young Nigerian, who has written their senior school certificate examination (i.e. WAEC) and university application examination (i.e. JAMB) more than once and who has spent more time than originally anticipated in the university because of strikes by different groups within the university community and other sundry issues, national service is a needless waste of a staggering one year. Even when they are serving, what do the majority of Corps Members actually do? I make bold to say: little or nothing! A good number of Corps Members don’t even visit their Places of Primary Assignment (PPA). They don’t also attend Community Development Service (CDS) Group meetings. Majority only show up in the first week of each month in order to payroll. This is no speculation. If in doubt, ask any honest Corps Member. We cannot continue to waste the prime of our young people as a nation on the altar of an illusory national unity. The poignant part of it all is that most of our young people can hardly compete in a global community where people get their doctorates in their twenties, for instance, when so many irrelevancies are stacked against them.

And this leads me to how the scheme is entrenching corruption in the public service of the country. As I have alluded to in the preceding paragraph, the majority of Corps Members don’t participate in most activities organised by the managers of the Scheme and yet they still get their Certificates of National Service (i.e. Discharge Certificates). And the question is asked: how is this possible? Well, it is quite straightforward, really. There is a satanic collaboration between these offending Corps Members and some of the staff of the Scheme. It has been said that these staff collect a percentage of either the federal or state allowance paid to the Corps Members in order to cover up for them and supply them with vital information. And then I think aloud, can a system as corrupt as this achieve anything worthwhile? I really doubt it.
Of serious concern to most families is how the Scheme is exposing Corps Members, whom so much have been invested in, to grave danger and unnecessary risks. Young graduates in the name of national service are sent to volatile parts of the country and places that they have little or no knowledge of. The implication of this is that these young people are by this arrangement deliberately stationed in harm’s way. Or how do we expect very young people who have not left their part of the country before to be able to find their way around in the event of a civil unrest in their areas of deployment and posting? This is not to mention the fact that these young Nigerians become too self-conscious in a way that is detrimental to their overall wellbeing. The reason is simply that they don’t or can’t understand the language spoken or the cultural practices of their host communities. That is to say, they just can’t fit in! In any case, is a few months an adequate period to do so?

In fact, one can’t successfully conclude any discussion on the security of Corps Members without making reference to the very cruel way in which tens of them were murdered in the aftermath of the 2011 general elections. In a very bizarre twist, these young citizens of Nigeria were gruesomely killed when they were supposedly on national service - contributing their own modest quota to the development of the fatherland. How ironic! Unfortunately, headlines of Corps Members being killed as a result of religious, ethnic and political violence and other sad tales continue to feature in the media. And what do the authorities do? They feign ignorance or quite frankly are unable to address the issue and they thereby leave a good number of these bereaved families - who find it very difficult accessing the much publicised compensation - in agony. Should we continue to unnecessarily risk the lives of the future of our country? I say an emphatic no!

At the heart of the matter then is: what can we do to rescue the Scheme? Is there a chance for reform? Well, after a time of deep reflection, it now appears to me that integrating Nigeria and uniting its people can no longer be successfully achieved by means of the Scheme. Even if that were possible, it is now too costly to continue to do so! This is for the simple reason that the essence of the Scheme, its soul, has long been banished to far-flung regions. Any attempt at reform will, in my view, amount to adding a drop of water in an ocean - an exercise in futility! Therefore, the NYSC Scheme must be suspended. No! It should be scrapped altogether. There are more cost effective ways of achieving the objective for which the Scheme was originally established - and this is assuming that it can really be achieved. And yes, I don’t need any sermonising on how the scrapping of the Scheme will result in job losses and the likes. As I have always argued, everything will balance out!

Respectfully,
@ODNEsq.

Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by einsteino(m): 3:25pm On Nov 03, 2015
Listic1:

@ODNEsq.

Wow he writes so well. Though it was lengthy but I couldnt notice because I enjoyed reading it. Who is this guy?
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by airsaylongcon: 3:27pm On Nov 03, 2015
Walexsammy:
like uve forgotten we all are posted to different jungles where accessibility to some amenities is really problem. Do u no am somewi in edo where there is no network? More than 15-20Km to the city? Am only able to follow this thread cuz I came to visit a friend.....

Where I served we had to literally put our phones on one Tree like dat to receive only one network like that (d one with big gbese). We only had gen light from 7pm-11pm. No bank so we trooped to Port Harcourt to withdraw money. Despite all these I got a job an OK job one month after passing out based purely on computing skills I learnt/brushed up during service year. Plus the number of friends from other parts of the country I would never have dreamt of meeting. NYSC is meant to integrate the Nigerian youths and to that extent it's fulfilling it's purpose.
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Walexsammy(m): 3:28pm On Nov 03, 2015
airsaylongcon:

That is a philosophical question. My response to the post was the he was wrong to say Corp members don't add any value to the economy. They do by teaching. Whether they should is an entirely different question. Should engineers be working in banks? I guess not. But they do and are add economic value to the country
Like ure forgetting that b4 the engineer can perform well, he must have been given some relevant training....
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by airsaylongcon: 3:31pm On Nov 03, 2015
Walexsammy:
Like ure forgetting that b4 the engineer can perform well, he must have been given some relevant training....

Training or not, should a mechanical engineer be doing debits and credits in a 'working' country as u put it?
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by serah109: 3:31pm On Nov 03, 2015
allanphash7:
Scrapped and reasonable certain amount of money should be given to the graduate to start a small scale business

During d 3weeks orientation camp, it should b military training and skill acquisition training. D allowance for d remaining months should b gathered together and given to every one of dem to start up a new life.
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Walexsammy(m): 3:32pm On Nov 03, 2015
airsaylongcon:

Where I served we had to literally put our phones on one Tree like dat to receive only one network like that (d one with big gbese). We only had gen light from 7pm-11pm. No bank so we trooped to Port Harcourt to withdraw money. Despite all these I got a job an OK job one month after passing out based purely on computing skills I learnt/brushed up during service year. Plus the number of friends from other parts of the country I would never have dreamt of meeting. NYSC is meant to integrate the Nigerian youths and to that extent it's fulfilling it's purpose.
we still on same page, ure only opportune to have the center around u, for example, am planning to run HSE program, do u no Diaz no center of such in the state wia I am? Am planning going lag for the program. I studied a computer related course, and to be frank, the cert is not jst enough, the plan has been to equip my self during the service year, right now, there are so many limitations.....Forgive any error...am in a haste
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Walexsammy(m): 3:35pm On Nov 03, 2015
airsaylongcon:

Training or not, should a mechanical engineer be doing debits and credits in a 'working' country as u put it?
ofcuz not, buh we talking about private sector here, itz ok by them, reason for employing him/her in the 1st place. Buh we talking about the future of the young ones here....Foundation matters alot
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by gabicon: 3:35pm On Nov 03, 2015
NYSC should be restructured

1) 1 month military training/ orientation
2 ) 2 months skill acquisition training
3) 7 months primary assignment.
4) 2 months of refresher on skill acquisition (field work) and giving each person 500k to kick start an SME
5) provide soft loan schemes.

1 Like

Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Listic1: 3:39pm On Nov 03, 2015
sambiza:

Your post caught my attention. Well, I don't know whether majority of the youths are complaining. I can bet you are not certain of that yourself. Just so you know, I have served. I actually passed out a few weeks ago - in October, 2015. During my service year, I was one of the busiest Corps Members. See, just yesterday I was at the NYSC Orientation Camp in the State where I served to give a lecture. In fact, a retention proposal was made to me at my PPA. So you see, I know what I am talking about.

To address a point you raised, it is not the responsibility of Corps Members to do the job of trained teachers. The responsibility is that of the respective governments to make adequate arrangements for their schools. Enjoy.

1 Like

Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by gungab(m): 3:39pm On Nov 03, 2015
total overhauling or reformation is seriously needed
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by UlqU3(m): 3:41pm On Nov 03, 2015
Scrap
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by nathaniel007(m): 3:42pm On Nov 03, 2015
waste of time and resources i think it should be voluntary
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by airsaylongcon: 3:45pm On Nov 03, 2015
Walexsammy:
we still on same page, ure only opportune to have the center around u, for example, am planning to run HSE program, do u no Diaz no center of such in the state wia I am? Am planning going lag for the program. I studied a computer related course, and to be frank, the cert is not jst enough, the plan has been to equip my self during the service year, right now, there are so many limitations.....Forgive any error...am in a haste

What centre are we talking of here? I said I studied in a backwater and had to commute to PH to use bank and you talk of centre? I read books by myself and when the generator came on I practiced as much as I could. If the immovable mountain will not go to Mohammed, the the mobile Mohammed must go to the mountain.
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by uzolexis(f): 3:46pm On Nov 03, 2015
It's a good concept just poorly managed so it needs to be reformed
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by Walexsammy(m): 3:47pm On Nov 03, 2015
airsaylongcon:

What centre are we talking of here? I said I studied in a backwater and had to commute to PH to use bank and you talk of centre? I read books by myself and when the generator came on I practiced as much as I could. If the immovable mountain will not go to Mohammed, the the mobile Mohammed must go to the mountain.
So, meaning u can only achieve this during the service year?
Re: Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? by airsaylongcon: 3:51pm On Nov 03, 2015
Walexsammy:
So, meaning u can only achieve this during the service year?

Far from it. But the service year is one of the easiest times you can achieve it. In school you have courses and exams disturbing, in work you have absolutely no time. When serving, you have at least from 2pm till midnight for yourself doing nothing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Female Corper Donates Borehole To Akwa Ibom Community (Photo) / Corper Precious Died In A Car Crash In Jos. (pix) / Mohammed Abubakar Honours 11 Corpers In Bauchi (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.