Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,004 members, 7,863,630 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 09:49 PM

How Nigeria Must Deal With Biafra - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Nigeria Must Deal With Biafra (603 Views)

Northern Youths Write Osinbajo, Beg Him To Allow Igbo Go With Biafra / Danger!! Unclad Men Tattoo With Biafra Flags Appear In Aba Dare Soldiers-pics / How Nigeria Must Deal With Biafra - Cramjones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Nigeria Must Deal With Biafra by DickDastardly(m): 12:12pm On Nov 03, 2015
I have keenly observed the current events that have led to the arrest of Nnamdi Kanu, the self-proclaimed leader of the Biafran movement. I have mixed reactions to the events that have transpired and have communicated my thoughts to the Nigerian Presidency. I will attempt elucidating my thoughts here.
1. I am of the opinion that the call for Biafra is legitimate: Firstly, Biafra existed before Nigeria was created. It was made up of people with similar cultures and language (with majority tribe being Igbo). It is perfectly legitimate for the original inhabitants of the country to yearn to have back their country and resources under their control. However, I do not believe that Biafra is a viable solution at this time.
2. During the Biafran war it is estimated that at least 1 million people of largely Igbo extraction were killed! This is no doubt in mind a genocide. However, the Nigerian government has made a fundamental mistake by:
a. Not recognizing it ever took place, or playing down the number of those that died for political reasons, only serve to fuel violence and the call for secession.
b. They have also made a major mistake by not even having a memorial day to remember those that died during the genocide – This action alone will give a sense of belonging and would foster a deepened National unity.
3. If the government does not look into the creation of a true federation whilst implementing its pseudo-federalism, and pretend that a genocide never took place, then the dissolution of Nigeria or even the metastasis of the Biafrian movement becomes inevitable.
4. Despite the premise I have laid out, I still do not think a Biafran state is viable. This is why
i. The Eastern Governments are fundamentally corrupt; A visit to present day Imo and Abia will attest to the corruption and rot that have plagued the region. These leaders have all FAILED to develop the east with the resources given to them. If they had made the East the “dubai” of Nigeria, everyone including the international community would have taken the cry for Biafra serious. The argument would be if the “Biafran leaders” can develop their region with the “little” resources given them, it is only fair they secede and do even more for their people and their region. However, this is not the case. A Biafran state will only lead to another mini civil war, and a fight for resources and wealth among Biafrans.
ii. Since 1970 when the war ended the geo-political dynamics of the Biafran region has changed. For example the people of Rivers would not want to be part of a country where their individual tribes become a minority. Same will go to Akwa Ibom etc. This will then lead to a disintegration of the original Biafran state, and would lead to a battle for resource control.
iii. If the above happens, Biafra would essentially be a landlocked country, and this can lead to an invasion and fight of Rivers, in order to fight for port control, oil revenue etc. Igbos will definitely need the ports since most of them are international business men, and won’t afford to pay regions like Rivers for all the billions of dollars of imports that takes place in the region.
In summary, an eventual Biafran state through a peaceful referendum will lead to a situation worse than South Sudan.
Way forward:
1. President Buhari MUST as a matter of urgency look into the white paper of the national conference and work assiduously with congress to make sure he implements true Federalism.
2. We must as a matter of urgency accept that at least 1 million Igbos where killed and establish a day to remember these precious lives that were gone. We must go a step further to make sure we teach this history to our kids, and not ban it from being taught in schools.
3. If the Federal government treat the Biafra issue with kids gloves, we may have something worse than Boko Haram in our hands.
4. Release Nnamdi Kanu immediately! Sit down with him and lay out your plans to resolve this issue. It would be a disservice to the Igbo people to compare the rise of Boko Haram with this present agitation, but history has thought us that as dynamic and complex Nigeria is, we MUST as a matter of urgency address the agitation of the Biafrans, before it metastasize to a problem bigger than Nigeria. A stitch in time saves nine!
Personally, I have shared these thoughts to my friend and brother Femi Adeshina with the hope that he would communicate this to P.M.B.
It is my hope that this does not destroy our country in our very eyes.

CramJones

Source: http://dailyindependentnig.com/2015/11/how-nigeria-must-deal-with-biafra/
Re: How Nigeria Must Deal With Biafra by DickDastardly(m): 12:13pm On Nov 03, 2015
Is this Nairaland's CramJones? grin

Talk about going places cheesy
Re: How Nigeria Must Deal With Biafra by Nobody: 12:16pm On Nov 03, 2015
Shoro niyen sadsad
Re: How Nigeria Must Deal With Biafra by fulaniHERDSman(m): 12:18pm On Nov 03, 2015
Nobody, i repeat, nobody leaves nigeria. Be it biafra, odua or nigger delta.

Nijeriya must remain intact at all cost chikenan! angry
Re: How Nigeria Must Deal With Biafra by Nobody: 12:19pm On Nov 03, 2015
fulaniHERDSman:
Nobody, i repeat, nobody leaves nigeria. Be it biafra, odua or nigger delta.

Nijeriya must remain intact at all cost chikenan! angry

You too dey watch nollywood.

**I repeat, i repeat**

Who sabi You?
Re: How Nigeria Must Deal With Biafra by fulaniHERDSman(m): 12:21pm On Nov 03, 2015
PuciPrince:

You too dey watch nollywood.

**I repeat, i repeat**

Who sabi You?

Shut up!
Re: How Nigeria Must Deal With Biafra by Joeace3000(m): 12:25pm On Nov 03, 2015
Biafra this, Biafra that... get busy youths!

Meanwhile for those people who have no jobs, are tired of switching jobs or have no skill at all and want to develop skills that can fetch them money today, here is my Nairaland thread (Brought to you by brilliantlightsmedia) where you can come in to learn how to join fiverr and offfer Hot, In-demand Services as well as developing the skills needed not only to make money monthly working online on fiverr but offline as a workplace skill you can start a business with or use to boost your resume and job chances. Ain't that cool?

The thread is a well explained step by step guide along with images to help you grasp what you need to do. to help you get started today

There are very easy ways of making it through the internet, you just have to find the safest and surest way, and this one beckons. follow me now...

The Nairaland Fiverr Free Training Thread
Re: How Nigeria Must Deal With Biafra by Nobody: 12:27pm On Nov 03, 2015
fulaniHERDSman:

Shut up!

ok lipsrsealed but nobody sabi yu sha

(1) (Reply)

Photos: Buhari Visits IDP Camp In Yola, Says Boko Haram Will Soon End / Fuel Scarcity Hits Lagos_share Your Experience / Gov Obiano And Wife Inspect Site Of Failed Portion On Enugu-onitsha Highway.pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.