Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,215 members, 7,953,797 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 06:45 AM

Buhari: Why I Insist Nigeria Is Broke-the Sun - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari: Why I Insist Nigeria Is Broke-the Sun (1359 Views)

BBC Mocks Buhari:''why Travel Abroad For Treatment"(photo) / Buhari: Why I Sent Obasanjo To Guinea-Bissau (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari: Why I Insist Nigeria Is Broke-the Sun by myners007: 6:16am On Nov 04, 2015
PRESIDENT Muhammadu Buhari yesterday stood his ground, insisting Nigeria is broke and that there was no need telling a lie about the economy. His stance on saying the truth drew condemnation from the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

This is even as he gave reasons for presenting 36 ministerial nominees to the Senate for screening and confirmation. He said if was in line with the Constitution.

The President spoke when he received Senate President Bukola Saraki who brought a report of the last batch of confirmed ministers.

Saraki, who arrived the Presidential Villa accompanied by the two Senior Special Assistants on Legislative Matters, Senator Ita Enang (Senate) and Sulieman Kawu (House of Representatives) at 2.55pm for the 3pm scheduled meeting.

Some of the presidential aides in the brief ceremony were Chief of Staff, Abba Kyari and the Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina.

Buhari thanked the Senate leadership for its support for his administration as it strives to follow the constitutional provision that states that the President should submit the names of those he wants to form the cabinet.

“If I can remember, there must be a member from each of the 36 states. That was why I limited the number of my nominees to that number, 36.

“The Senate worked extremely hard and they have passed all the nominees. I think there is some enthusiasm in some parts of the Presidency today that portfolios are to be given to the 36.

“The Constitution certainly said there must be one member of the cabinet from all the states but the Constitution did not say I must have 36 minis- tries.

“I will explain details. Because of the economic imperative, to have a lot of ministers, substantive ministers, let me put it that way, whatever somebody speculated in some of today’s newpapers, I think that the economy as I have seen it now since my sitting here for the last four months, that we are so much battered. Although some people are saying I am giving bad publicity and scaring away investors.

“Any investor who is interested in investing in Nigeria will seem to know more about the economy more than ourselves. So, when I come and tell the truth about the position of the economy of the country, I am going out looking for investors.

“But I am confirming to them that we are truthful, that we need them to come and help us help ourselves by get- ting in industries, manufacturing and services.

“They know our needs. The economy of human resources, I believe will make them eventually come and help us”, he said.

President Buhari thanked the Senate President and members of the Senate for working hard technically within record time to confirm the ministers.

He assured that “we will fol- low the Constitution and all the 36 will be sitting in the cabinet as the Constitution stipulates”.

Earlier, Saraki told the President they were in the Villa to formally present the last batch of 18 names of nominees screened, having finished the exercise last Thursday.

“I want to formally present the list of the 18 ministers who have now been cleared to you and that makes a total of all your 36 nominees that have been cleared by the Senate.

“I was just engaging the SSA to check in the record when last that has happened. So, it must be credit to the nominees that were submitted and also credit to the Senate”.

Speaking to State House correspondents later at the end of the short ceremony, Saraki on the challenges of screening the ministerial nominees, said it was easy because all the quality of the nominees and with the confirmation of the nominees, the Senate has laid a solid foundation for the government to take off.

“As I said, the work was not difficult because of the quality of nominees that came in. Secondly, it is the fact that we put in the time to vigorously put the nominees to answer the questions and at the end of the day, we found out that most of them met the requirements and the Senate was satisfied.

“You noticed that in some cases we delayed the number of one or two,it is all part of politics, of behind the scene, but at the end of the day, we finished with them, that is all about give and take and eventually, I am happy with what the Senators have done. The entire 108 Senators, we have done a good job and I believe we have laid the platform for the government to fully take off”.

On the concern of possible ministers without portfolio, the Senate President said: “Well, I think before you had ministers of state in the past, I don’t think there is anything new, there were ministers for special duties which really don’t have portfolio. I think the key issue is being in cabinet, is being part of government and those that would have the responsibilities of ministering are those that at the end of the day, would do that.

“So, minister of state is not new. We had it before, if you remember that very well. Honestly, I believe we need to move away from the small is- sues and begin to focus on the major issues. I think the country presently now is at a very trying time no doubt about it.

“We have the challenges of revenue drop, challenges in trying to boost revenue and create jobs and you know we have some of these issues which we really need to ad- dress and I think that it is time for us to address them and these are some of the issues we looked at as a Senate, that it is time for us to give support to the executive to move the country forward and I think all of us apart from those in the legislature and the executive and even those of you in the media, we must begin to prof- fer and put our country in a positive view otherwise, there is no way we are going to have those major issues addressed”.

On the criticism which the President’s statements has attracted, Saraki said, “As I said it is not new in having all not full-time ministers, but let us wait to see what portfolio or responsibility some of them will have. I cannot speak on behalf of the President on that, but we have done our own constitutional responsibility”.

On why he brought the letter personally to the President, he said, “because there were other things we discussed. As you can see after you left, we discussed for about 20 minutes on some major issues as well. So, it wasn’t just about the letter.

Asked to divulge the issues discussed with the President, Saraki said, “I think at the right time they will get to know. I have a constituency which is the Senate which I must first engage and I am sure with time…..the major issue has to with moving Nigeria forward”.

Asked if the issue of his trial at the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) came up, he replied, “did you think that will come up in this kind of situation? No it didn’t come up,” he said
http://sunnewsonline.com/new/buhari-why-i-insist-nigeria-is-broke/
Re: Buhari: Why I Insist Nigeria Is Broke-the Sun by buzquet(m): 6:17am On Nov 04, 2015
Is beta to scream out and you get help than to be forming what you are not and get yourself killed

WTF!!!!!!!

FTC? E don sure say my ticket go set for bet9ja today
Re: Buhari: Why I Insist Nigeria Is Broke-the Sun by Amdayburh(m): 6:17am On Nov 04, 2015
Keep calm,buhari is working grin.
Meanwhile tokn bou bin broke,
Try MyAds !!! - Hey! I have been making money using MyAds 4 MTN. How cool is it to get free airtym from mtn for receiving calls??.. Pretty cool hun.. You need to download and enjoy too click here https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hm.myads4mtn&referrer=03e1b9e141f543daa3fd8ea0d5b948ee

1 Like

Re: Buhari: Why I Insist Nigeria Is Broke-the Sun by tyson99(m): 6:19am On Nov 04, 2015
God bless you BaBa,you know people are used to lies for the past 16yrs so it will take time for them to adjust,but for the PDP attacking you what else do u expect from the likes of olisah metusela and doyin okugbe and Femi mumu kayodegrin

SAI BABA

1 Like

Re: Buhari: Why I Insist Nigeria Is Broke-the Sun by Nobody: 6:20am On Nov 04, 2015
Yea.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: Why I Insist Nigeria Is Broke-the Sun by SamOgasco(m): 6:24am On Nov 04, 2015
Brb
Re: Buhari: Why I Insist Nigeria Is Broke-the Sun by bugzbunny: 6:25am On Nov 04, 2015
Buhari is a cry baby
Always full of excuses not to work
Wail for Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: Why I Insist Nigeria Is Broke-the Sun by Nobody: 6:27am On Nov 04, 2015
Excuses....
Re: Buhari: Why I Insist Nigeria Is Broke-the Sun by thegoodone2(m): 6:33am On Nov 04, 2015
ok
Re: Buhari: Why I Insist Nigeria Is Broke-the Sun by osaslord500(m): 6:36am On Nov 04, 2015
That's why I insist that Buhari is scam
Re: Buhari: Why I Insist Nigeria Is Broke-the Sun by Nobody: 6:46am On Nov 04, 2015
myners007:

“I will explain details. Because of the economic imperative, to have a lot of ministers, substantive ministers, let me put it that way, whatever somebody speculated in some of today’s newpapers, I think that the economy as I have seen it now since my sitting here for the last four months, that we are so much battered. Although some people are saying I am giving bad publicity and scaring away investors.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/buhari-why-i-insist-nigeria-is-broke/

Did I hear four months? I guess the president forgot that he is already in his SIXTH month in office.
Re: Buhari: Why I Insist Nigeria Is Broke-the Sun by eleko1: 6:46am On Nov 04, 2015
Nigeria is broke that's the simple home truth.Sebi Okonjo Wahala told us so b4.Thanks to Jona,Diezani and their associate thieves that looted the treasury blind.
Re: Buhari: Why I Insist Nigeria Is Broke-the Sun by omenka(m): 6:48am On Nov 04, 2015
PRESIDENT Muhammadu Buhari
yesterday stood his ground, insisting
Nigeria is broke and that there was no
need telling a lie about the economy.

His stance on saying the truth drew
condemnation from the opposition
Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
That is simply the truth. PDP lived and survived on lies especially under the immediate past admin and were hopeful Baba would sustain the culture of lying.

PDP imagines "lying to the outside world" about the health of our economy is the best way to woo foreign investors- had this being the case, the country would have been crawling with such investors this day. But the reverse is the case in fact. The more you try to manipulate your economic indices to promote a particular narrative of the state of your economy, the more you create disincentive for would-be investors.

An honest government is one that attract business men. It guarantees the safety of their assets and markets your country more than any amount of false propaganda can. Baba is doing the right thing and before long, I'm very hopeful we'll start seeing huge leaps in those positives that define the success of an admin.

#IBelieve.
Re: Buhari: Why I Insist Nigeria Is Broke-the Sun by 2kris(m): 6:49am On Nov 04, 2015
I still dnt follow,there is no how pmb will tell me or nigerians that nigeria is broke.were is our crude oil even if the decline of crude oil is that bad we are still selling it.what about other natural resourse that we hv in our desposal eg iron ore,tin,precious stone,coal,coco,rubber,oil palm.and even the huge revenue from firs,fed inland revenue service.it is only one without vision that will say nigeria is broke.mind u had it been it were gej that said such hipocrite will swam the whole news paper head lines with barbaric headings
Re: Buhari: Why I Insist Nigeria Is Broke-the Sun by permsec: 6:51am On Nov 04, 2015
Can somebody tell this man to shut the hell up and start working. Or was it not this same broke country the previous administration managed without blaming the govt before it.

This man is tall but very short in ideas.
Re: Buhari: Why I Insist Nigeria Is Broke-the Sun by Aufbauh(m): 6:56am On Nov 04, 2015
The glory of an old man is his grey hair, check out the leadership wisdom display by PMB

“Any investor who is interested in investing in Nigeria will seem to know more about the economy more than ourselves. So when I come and tell the truth about the position of the economy of the country, I am going out looking for investors.
But I am confirming to them that we are truthful".
Re: Buhari: Why I Insist Nigeria Is Broke-the Sun by realborn(m): 7:18am On Nov 04, 2015
permsec:
Can somebody tell this man to shut the hell up and start working. Or was it not this same broke country the previous administration managed without blaming the govt before it.

This man is tall but very short in ideas.

No my brother.

It is not the same country at all. Previous administrations enjoyed the "good oil boom days". Where crude oil sold for over $100. Unfortunately it was a bazaar of some sorts until prices fell badly and eventually the irresponsible party was also kicked out. At this time it was obvious the deed had been done. The treasury had been mismanaged.

I think the President's brutal honesty should not be the crux. The focus should be what his government is doing with the reality on ground to move the economy forward. What are the projections? What are the short and long term plans?

The biggest challenge this government will face is effective communication. I sincerely hope when Ministers resume, there will be progress. In my opinion, this is the last joker!
Re: Buhari: Why I Insist Nigeria Is Broke-the Sun by Codedb2: 7:23am On Nov 04, 2015
But when Jonathan's administration said it APC
Said it was lie
Now we are here.
Re: Buhari: Why I Insist Nigeria Is Broke-the Sun by Morkavictor: 7:39am On Nov 04, 2015
If after 6 months buhari couldn't do anything about the supposed empty treasury,then we are seriously in trouble
Re: Buhari: Why I Insist Nigeria Is Broke-the Sun by Koolmexxi(m): 7:44am On Nov 04, 2015
realborn:

No my brother.

It is not the same country at all. Previous administrations enjoyed the "good oil boom days". Where crude oil sold for over $100. Unfortunately it was a bazaar of some sorts until prices fell badly and eventually the irresponsible party was also kicked out. At this time it was obvious the deed had been done. The treasury had been mismanaged.

I think the President's brutal honesty should not be the crux. The focus should be what his government is doing with the reality on ground to move the economy forward. What are the projections? What are the short and long term plans?

The biggest challenge this government will face is effective communication. I sincerely hope when Ministers resume, there will be progress. In my opinion, this is the last joker!
Na only u don reason well. D govt has been crying about the past administration's misdeeds which was the basis for their campaign in the first place. Instead of communicating with the populace on their plans and damage control measures whether on the short term or long term dey kip shifting blames and making excuses and it's six months already.
Re: Buhari: Why I Insist Nigeria Is Broke-the Sun by lmm4real: 7:47am On Nov 04, 2015
Shot up and get to work.
Re: Buhari: Why I Insist Nigeria Is Broke-the Sun by stinggy(m): 8:09am On Nov 04, 2015
omenka:
That is simply the truth. PDP lived and survived on lies especially under the immediate past admin and were hopeful Baba would sustain the culture of lying.

PDP imagines "lying to the outside world" about the health of our economy is the best way to woo foreign investors- had this being the case, the country would have been crawling with such investors this day. But the reverse is the case in fact. The more you try to manipulate your economic indices to promote a particular narrative of the state of your economy, the more you create disincentive for would-be investors.

An honest government is one that attract business men. It guarantees the safety of their assets and markets your country more than any amount of false propaganda can. Baba is doing the right thing and before long, I'm very hopeful we'll start seeing huge leaps in those positives that define the success of an admin.

#IBelieve.
As much as I like Buhari, I wish he could learn more on Diplomacy.

GEJ's administration did so much damage but what is done is done, he should move on and stop scaring away potential investors. The "Nigeria is broke" story shouldn't have been told for more than a month. The country needs more investors but who will invest where the President keeps saying things like this?

Investors need assurance on their investments not sad tales. Corruption is everywhere, he should get over it and do whatever it takes to assure those who want to help our economy.
Re: Buhari: Why I Insist Nigeria Is Broke-the Sun by chesterlee(m): 8:58am On Nov 04, 2015
Six long months of Idleness

Buhari should get to work!!!!

Re: Buhari: Why I Insist Nigeria Is Broke-the Sun by neolboy(m): 9:26am On Nov 04, 2015
The nation u inherited was one of the leading country in ecinomy, just months in office naija is broke. Visionless
Re: Buhari: Why I Insist Nigeria Is Broke-the Sun by neolboy(m): 9:26am On Nov 04, 2015
The nation u inherited was one of the leading country in economy, just months in office naija is broke. Visionless

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News: 24 Us Governors Refused To Take Syrian Refugees / Pathetic Last Hours Of APC Guber Aspirant, Abubakar Audu / Still Thinking About What The Jamaican Woman Did To This Fine American Boy. Huh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.