Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,556 members, 7,816,344 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:54 AM

The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). (4204 Views)

50 Secrets To Answers To Prayers (11-20) / Has Jesus' Prayer In John 17:20-23 Been Answered? / Does John 20:23 Mean That Roman Catholic Priests Can Forgive Sins? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by Nobody: 9:08am On Nov 04, 2015
“‘All flying insects that walk on all fours are to be regarded as unclean by you. There are, however, some flying insects that walk on all fours that you may eat: those that have jointed legs for hopping on the ground. [size=15]Of these you may eat any kind of locust, katydid, cricket or grasshopper.[/size] But all other flying insects that have four legs you are to regard as unclean. this bible verse is making us understand that insects has 4 legs, and even specified some of them being, grasshopper, locust, cricket and katydid. atleast everyone has seen a grasshopper and we all know its 6legged, to the christian folks, do you believe that insects(grasshopper) is 4legged?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by Rilwayne001: 10:15am On Nov 04, 2015
Bi-boo grin

4 Likes

Re: The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by Nobody: 10:23am On Nov 04, 2015
Rilwayne001:
Bi-boo grin
more like buy-bull cheesy

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by Rilwayne001: 10:29am On Nov 04, 2015
lexiconkabir:
grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by Rilwayne001: 10:30am On Nov 04, 2015
lexiconkabir:
grin grin

2 Likes

Re: The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by tartar9(m): 11:03am On Nov 04, 2015
they later evolved to be six legged grin
Re: The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by Scholar8200(m): 11:08am On Nov 04, 2015
Re: The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by Nobody: 7:00pm On Nov 04, 2015
@scholar8200, That site did not address the fact that insects have six feet, not four. It seems redundant to forbid the eating of something that does not exist. The more straightforward explanation is that this is an error in the Bible. The author of that site is even implying that it is a man-made idea due to the fact that only four is clearly visible, however the All-knowing God Almighty can never inspire such. But if there is anything in that link you feel answered my question and maybe i didnt see it, then let me know.
Re: The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by Scholar8200(m): 7:09pm On Nov 04, 2015
lexiconkabir:
@scholar8200, That site did not address the fact that insects have six feet, not four. It seems redundant to forbid the eating of something that does not exist. The more straightforward explanation is that this is an error in the Bible. The author of that site is even implying that it is a man-made idea due to the fact that only four is clearly visible, however the All-knowing God Almighty can never inspire such.
Not when secular philosophers held the same views of insects:

which have four feet; or more; the Vulgate Latin version adds, "only", but wrongly; for those that have more are unclean, and forbidden to be eaten, excepting those in the preceding verse; and most creeping things that fly have six feet, as the locusts themselves, reckoning their leaping legs into the number; though it may be observed, that those creatures that have six feet have but four equal ones, on which they walk or creep; and the two foremost, which are longer, are as hands to them to wipe their eyes with, and protect them from anything that may fall into them and hurt them; they not being able to see clearly because of the hardness of their eyes, as Aristotle (a) observes, and particularly it may be remarked of the fly, as it is by Lucian (b), that though it has six feet it only goes on four, using the other two foremost as hands; and therefore you may see it walking on four feet, with something eatable in its hands, lifting them up on high, just after the manner of men: now all such creatures that have four feet or more, excepting the above:

shall be an abomination unto you; abhorred as food, and abstained from.

(a) Ut supra. (Hist. Animal. l. 9. c. 6.) (b) De Musca.
Gill's exposition of the Bible

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by mubarakopeyemi(m): 8:03pm On Nov 04, 2015
Lexicon wan give Malvisguy and Lieman another Nightmare grin

cry cry cry cry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by Nobody: 9:08am On Nov 06, 2015
@Scholar8200, it is the christian apologists that are just trying to twist things up here(Like a wikipedia page said), notice what was used in the verse, it says: [size=17pt]"on ALL fours"[/size] meaning no other legs are left out, if i have four legs(i don't o grin) and i'm standing on just two, i will say: "i am standing on two legs" not "i am standing on all two legs", moreover grasshoppers(among the insects listed) don't even stand on fours, they are always on their six feets, see picture below.

2 Likes

Re: The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by Nobody: 9:41am On Nov 06, 2015
so, all you've been saying did not address the fact that insects have six feet, not four. It seems redundant to forbid the eating of something that does not exist. The more straightforward explanation is that this is an error in the Bible.

1 Like

Re: The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by Scholar8200(m): 9:43am On Nov 06, 2015
lexiconkabir:
so, all you've been saying did not address the fact that insects have six feet, not four. It seems redundant to forbid the eating of something that does not exist. The more straightforward explanation is that this is an error in the Bible.
Being the conclusion you had before commencing your research.
Re: The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by Nobody: 9:47am On Nov 06, 2015
Scholar8200:
Being the conclusion you had before commencing your research.
Lol, i wonder what makes you think so, i always debate with unbiasedness, maybe you should see the post before the one you quoted, you will see why i made such comment.
Re: The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by Nobody: 10:42am On Nov 06, 2015
tartar9:
they later evolved to be six legged grin
Then spider and it likes evolved to 8 legs cheesy.
Re: The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by Nobody: 11:45am On Nov 06, 2015
mubarakopeyemi:
Lexicon wan give Malvisguy and Lieman another Nightmare grin

cry cry cry cry
That lieman don go hideout. i dont see his threads recently.
Re: The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by mubarakopeyemi(m): 12:08pm On Nov 06, 2015
lexiconkabir:
That lieman don go hideout. i dont see his threads recently.

He ran out of materials already. I bet he's on his anti Islamic sites to accumulate his fruitless self postulated Islam-exposing anthology. grin

That oldman needs something to keep him busy.
Probably be sent on a long arrand or be given a tedious and Laborious Assignment grin
Re: The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by Nobody: 3:04pm On Nov 06, 2015
mubarakopeyemi:

He ran out of materials already. I bet he's on his anti Islamic sites to accumulate his fruitless self postulated Islam-exposing anthology. grin

That oldman needs something to keep him busy.
Probably be sent on a long arrand or be given a tedious and Laborious Assignment grin
exactly!
Re: The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by Nobody: 7:56pm On Nov 06, 2015
Below is an image of a cricket, and as we can see, it is standing on all its 6 feets, not on four feets or on ALL fours(like the bible put it)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by Nobody: 8:11pm On Nov 06, 2015
Also this is an image of a katydid, as we can all see, it is also standing on all six feets, not on four or on ALL fours. its getting interesting cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by Nobody: 8:19pm On Nov 06, 2015
These pictures i provided has given the point of the christian apologist a knock out punch and shows that all the points presented by the christian apologist were nothing but speculations just to defend this error found therein(the bible), it is now clear that the bible actually meant all the feets, which was thought to be four not what they(christian apologists) want us to believe. Thanks for reading cool.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by Nobody: 5:02pm On Dec 23, 2015
perhaps parrisbookaddict, true2god, Annunaki... could explain this! Demmzy15 is invited to see things grin grin. point of note: No derailing of thread! smiley
Re: The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by Demmzy15(m): 5:46pm On Dec 23, 2015
grin grin grin *In Akon's voice* It's been soo long!!!!!! grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 8:23pm On Dec 23, 2015
@lexiconkabir, you forgot to mention pappyville. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.

Hope I got the spelling right?
Re: The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by Nobody: 9:30pm On Dec 23, 2015
IdisuleOurOwn:
@lexiconkabir, you forgot to mention pappyville. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.

Hope I got the spelling right?
its plappville cheesy
Re: The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by CoolUsername: 9:57pm On Dec 23, 2015
Noooo! You don't understand, every insect that has six legs also has four legs too. So if an insect walks on six lega it is also using ALL four. I know this because the word of God is perfect.

Proverbs 30:5 says,
"Every word of God has proven to be true.
He is a shield to those who come to him
for protection.

See my FLAWLESS logic!!!

End time is near!! Sinner, DO YOU WANT TO BUUURNN!!!
/s

1 Like

Re: The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by malvisguy212: 10:00pm On Dec 23, 2015
lexiconkabir:
“‘All flying insects that walk on all fours are to be regarded as unclean by you. There are, however, some flying insects that walk on all fours that you may eat: those that have jointed legs for hopping on the ground. [size=15]Of these you may eat any kind of locust, katydid, cricket or grasshopper.[/size] But all other flying insects that have four legs you are to regard as unclean. this bible verse is making us understand that insects has 4 legs, and even specified some of them being, grasshopper, locust, cricket and katydid. atleast everyone has seen a grasshopper and we all know its 6legged, to the christian folks, do you believe that insects(grasshopper) is 4legged?
the Hebrew word translated insects is " sherets" the word does not imply insects only, The word
really refers to crawling or swimming
creatures that tend to swarm together.
For example, in Genesis, sherets refers to swarming sea creatures,in the flood account (Genesis 7) sherets refers to rodents, and in Leviticus, sherets
refers to crustaceans,insects,rodents, and reptiles. What is common in this group of crustaceans, insects, rodents, and reptiles is that they all crawl on "all four" legs.Some from this group actually have more than four legs.

Now pay close looks at liviticus 11:21 which actually say this insects has six legs:

Leviticus 11:21
'Yet these you may eat among all the
winged insects [sherets] which walk
on all fours: those which have ABOVE THEIR FEET JOINTED LEGS
with which to
jump on the earth.

The key part of the verse is the phrase
"above their feet jointed legs." The
Hebrew uses two different words to
describe the "feet" ( regel) and
"legs" (kera). What the verse says is that
these insects walk on four "feet" (their
anterior four short legs), with an
additional two "legs" that are used for
jumping. Therefore, all six appendages
are described.
Re: The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by Nobody: 4:06am On Dec 24, 2015
@malvisguy212
The key part of the verse is the phrase
"above their feet jointed legs." The
Hebrew uses two different words to
describe the "feet" ( regel) and
"legs" (kera). What the verse says is that
these insects walk on four "feet"
(their anterior four short legs), with an
additional two "legs" that are used for
jumping. Therefore, all six appendages
are described.
What the verse says is [size=16pt]they walk on ALL four feets not on four feets[/size], also the site you copied and pasted from claims that it isnt insects they are referring to? 1. how come all the bible translators, translates it as insect......2. remember, that in the verse, some of these insects were specified, grasshoppers, katydid, locust, etc.

1 Like

Re: The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by Nobody: 4:12am On Dec 24, 2015
CoolUsername:
Noooo! You don't understand, every insect that has six legs also has four legs too. So if an insect walks on six lega it is also using ALL four. I know this because the word of God is perfect.

Proverbs 30:5 says,
"Every word of God has proven to be true.
He is a shield to those who come to him
for protection.

See my FLAWLESS logic!!!

End time is near!! Sinner, DO YOU WANT TO BUUURNN!!!
/s
Kindly look at the pictures i uploaded alongside my posts. Anyway dont forget that there is a still a verse that calls rabbit ruminant.

1 Like

Re: The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by malvisguy212: 6:49am On Dec 24, 2015
lexiconkabir:
@malvisguy212 What the verse says is [size=16pt]they walk on ALL four feets not on four feets[/size], also the site you copied and pasted from claims that it isnt insects they are referring to? 1. how come all the bible translators, translates it as insect......2. remember, that in the verse, some of these insects were specified, grasshoppers, katydid, locust, etc.
read my post again, sherets doesent refer to only insects,The word
creatures that tend to swarm together. In liviticus the EXACLY Hebrew word is use for reptile ( sherets ). Paste the website you copy the op from.
Re: The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by Nobody: 6:59am On Dec 24, 2015
malvisguy212:
read my post again, sherets doesent refer to only insects,The word
creatures that tend to swarm together. In liviticus the EXACLY Hebrew word is use for reptile ( sherets ). Paste the website you copy the op from.
And i ask you again, 1.why were grasshopper, locust, katydid mentioned among the "sherets"......2.would all the translators make the same error by translating sherets as insects? no?........3.do reptiles fly and hop? no?...... hey i'm not like you that copy long epistles from islamophobic sites, I did everything myself.
Re: The Four-legged Flying Insect Bible(leviticus 11:20-23). by malvisguy212: 8:02am On Dec 24, 2015
lexiconkabir:
And i ask you again, 1.why were grasshopper, locust, katydid mentioned among the "sherets"......2.would all the translators make the same error by translating sherets as insects? no?........3.do reptiles fly and hop? no?...... hey i'm not like you that copy long epistles from islamophobic sites, I did everything myself.
that why I say go and read my first post again, sherets including ALL kind of mammals .insects and crawling animals. The Septuagint says.
"έπετα τών πετεινών" ("Things which fly
on wings"/"winged creatures"wink

If we take a close look at the text, it seems to differentiate between the feet and the lags, read it once more;

Leviticus 11:21
'Yet these you may eat among all the
winged insects [sherets] which walk
on all fours: those which have ABOVE
THEIR FEET JOINTED LEGS with which to
jump on the earth.

All the winged insects "sherets" this include all the crawling mammals of every kind. Then the next part say " those which have ABOVE THEIR FEET JOINTED LEGS with which to jump on the earth" this part seem to talk about the insects you are reffering. the legs being
the hind legs with which it uses to leap
as the text mentions. Therefore, if we
add the two hind legs with the four front feet voila we have six feet/legs and problem solved.

And also, Moses speak to the people based on their understanding of words, The term sherets was never intended as a biological classification system, to say sherets refers to insects ONLY is soo wrong.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is The Rise Of Atheism In Nigeria A Direct Reaction To Flaws Of Pentecostalism? / The Religion The Is Practicing What Jesus Taught. / Can Churches Survive Without Offerings Or Tithes?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.