Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,681 members, 7,809,579 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:33 AM

Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? (67195 Views)

Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica / 4 Things Igbo People Like. / Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by funmijoyb(f): 6:47pm On Nov 04, 2015
undecided Yeeeebos must u focefully attached to other people's culture and hate yours?

Here are the words igbo writers claims is theirs all over the internet:

1.Oyinbo or Oyibo; Peeled skin or white Animals
2. Akata; Wild, Sturborn, black American or Nigerian American
3.Ogbeni Mr Man
4.Ashewo, asewo or Ashawo.
5.Wahala Problem
6.Abi; "Question mark"
7.Shebi; is it?
8.Pele; please
9.Omo; Child
10.Oja; Market
11.Shey is it?
12.Mumu
13, Ode

More

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by funmijoyb(f): 6:48pm On Nov 04, 2015
Lalasticlala

Ose or Oshey ; Thank you
Oluwa; God
Baba; Father
Jo; please
Oya or Otiya
Patapata; everything
Lailai; Never
Lepa; Slim
Orobo; Fat
Ajebutter; Wealthy person
Ajepako; Poor person
Yeye; Joke
Keke; Bicycle
Igbo; weed or Bush
Oga; Boss
Mama; mother

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Nov 04, 2015
They rely on people sucess to make theirs, imitators of d highest orders.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by bigfrancis21: 10:40pm On Nov 04, 2015
funmijoyb:
undecided Yeeeebos must u focefully attached to other people's culture and hate yours?

Here are the words igbo writers claims is theirs:

3.Ogbeni Mr Man
5.Wahala Problem
6.Abi; "Question mark"
7.Shebi; is it?
8.Pele; please
9.Omo; Child
10.Oja; Market
11.Shey is it?
12.Mumu
13, Ode

More

@op...except for Oyibo which is the word in Igbo, I have never seen any Igbo person claim the other words to be Igbo. Akata might be debatable because it has similar meaning in Igbo.

18 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by kaura5000: 10:44pm On Nov 04, 2015
Wahala is not yoruba word

9 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by obia62: 11:14pm On Nov 04, 2015
funmijoyb:

Here are the words igbo writers claims is theirs:

3.Ogbeni Mr Man
5.Wahala Problem
6.Abi; "Question mark"
7.Shebi; is it?
8.Pele; please
9.Omo; Child
10.Oja; Market
11.Shey is it?
12.Mumu
13, Ode

More

The picture on your profile is so hilarious. grin grin
Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by bigfrancis21: 11:33pm On Nov 04, 2015
kaura5000:

I think it is Yoruba. Or what language do you think it is then?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by macof(m): 12:51am On Nov 05, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I think it is Yoruba. Or what language do you think it is then?

It is yoruba but originally from Hausa

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 2:58am On Nov 05, 2015
bigfrancis21:

@op...except for Oyibo which is the word in Igbo, I have never seen any Igbo person claim the other words to be Igbo. Akala might be debatable because it has similar meaning in Igbo.
Oyibo is simply out of d word Oyinbo which is a yoruba word. oyibo has no direct meaning in igbo.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 3:10am On Nov 05, 2015
kaura5000:
Can u prove it sir? Wahala is a Yoruba word goting frm a corrupted Arabic word just like Alubosa(Onion). Igbos in the South west are also in the S.W to steal yoruba words and culture, either they claim it or credit it to another tribe.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by FisifunKododada: 7:09am On Nov 05, 2015
cool Iboes are thieves.

IPOB Youth.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 7:48am On Nov 05, 2015
Loooool! In what world is "wahala" a Yoruba word? No offense.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 7:51am On Nov 05, 2015
Drchristian:

Can u prove it sir? Wahala is a Yoruba word goting frm a corrupted Arabic word just like Alubosa(Onion). Igbos in the South west are also in the S.W to steal yoruba words and culture, either they claim it or credit it to another tribe.

Albasa-hausa
Wahala-hausa

You're doing what you claim the Igbos are doing. If theres any similarity with hausa it's because hausa and Arabic are both afro asiatic languages.

If you're having doubts please type those words into any language translator and see if Yoruba or even Arabic will come up.

Thanks

12 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 8:09am On Nov 05, 2015
VoslerGrimsbane:

Albasa-hausa
Wahala-hausa

You're doing what you claim the Igbos are doing. If theres any similarity with hausa it's because hausa and Arabic are both afro asiatic languages.

If you're having doubts please type those words into any language translator and see if Yoruba or even Arabic will come up.

Thanks
you are crazy, Albasa is an Arabic word
Wahala is not hausa word but Arabic with yoruba's intonation
Oyibo is not igbo word.
you need a prove? ask an hausa man. all wot u ibos wrote on internet are all false.

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by funmijoyb(f): 8:24am On Nov 05, 2015
VoslerGrimsbane:

Albasa-hausa
Wahala-hausa

Thanks
Oyibo is not igbo word if only u will tell d truth and Albasa, Wahala are not hausa words too.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by bigfrancis21: 8:28am On Nov 05, 2015
Drchristian:

Oyibo is simply out of d word Oyinbo which is a yoruba word. oyibo has no direct meaning in igbo.

This debate has been had on nairaland before and have provided the link below:

Oyibo has always been the word for white man used by the Igbos since, at least, the 17th century. And no, the Igbos did not borrow it from the Yorubas. It is often said that the word "oyibo" itself was a nickname given to Europeans by Igbo people since they found it difficult to pronounce "onye Igbo" and instead said "oyi ibo" when referring to Igbos. The earliest record of the Igbo usage of the word can be found in Olaudah Equiano's book where he mentioned that his people referred to 'red-skinned' men as 'oyeeboe'. Note, this was at a time when there was barely any contact between the Igbos on the east and Yorubas on the west and both areas were separated by the Bini kingdom located in between. Also, a christian missionary in old Aboh kingdom, an Igbo-speaking kingdom in modern-day Delta Igbo, wrote of his experienced and noted that the people often referred to him as 'oeboe'. This published evidence proves that the Igbos have been using 'Oyibo' since the last 300 years.

On the other hand, there is no evidence that Oyibo is of Yoruba origin. Being sister languages, Igbo and Yoruba share so many similar words in common such as nti/eti for ear, mmili/omi for water, okwute/okuta for stone/rock etc. Proper, Oyinbo can be said to be the Yoruba way of pronunciation and 'Oyibo' the Igbo word for the same thing. 'Peeled skin' meaning whatever is not a definitive basis for your conclusion.

Even more evidencing is the fact that across several tribes in southern Nigeria, the word for a European person is 'Oyibo' except only in Yoruba land where it is 'Oyinbo'. The Igalas who are said to have a Yoruboid language even use 'Oyibo' and not 'Oyinbo'.

At best, it can be said that Oyibo is Igbo pronunciation, Oyinbo is Yoruba pronunciation. Just as Igbos have 'gini' and Yorubas have 'kini'.

20 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 8:40am On Nov 05, 2015
Drchristian:

you are crazy, Albasa is an Arabic word
Wahala is not hausa word but Arabic with yoruba's intonation
Oyibo is not igbo word.
you need a prove? ask an hausa man. all wot u ibos wrote on internet are all false.

Lol! "Ask an hausa man"

Tf do you think I am?

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 8:41am On Nov 05, 2015
funmijoyb:

Oyibo is not igbo word if only u will tell d truth and Albasa, Wahala are not hausa words too.

Don't care about Oyibo. Just leave my language alone. Again if you're doubting, type it into any translator, see what language is detected.

Albasa, not yours.

Wahala, not yours.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 10:02am On Nov 05, 2015
Further proof. The Arabic word is basl and the Hausa word is Al-basa, the prefix Al, is very popular in Hausa like in almakashi (scissors) or Al-gungumi (devious), or even the more famous al-majiri, where did the yoruba's get the Al from? Why is it closer to the Hausa variation and not a different variation of the original. Also for wahala, I'm still waiting for a reply from my saudi friend because I don't know the Arabic variation but I'm sure is not wahala, why is the Yoruba word also wahala?

No offense but leave our words alone.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 12:09pm On Nov 05, 2015
Arabic has a variation of wahala but it doesn't even mean the same thing. Afro asiatic languages tend to have similar words with different meanings, just like they're some shared words between oromo and Hausa but have different meanings.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by funmijoyb(f): 2:22pm On Nov 05, 2015
bigfrancis21:

This debate has been had on nairaland before and have provided the link below:

Oyibo has always been the word for white man used by the Igbos since, at least, the 17th century. And no, the Igbos did not borrow it from the Yorubas. It is often said that the word "oyibo" itself was a nickname given to Europeans by Igbo people since they found it difficult to pronounce "onye Igbo" and instead said "oyi ibo" when referring to Igbos. The earliest record of the Igbo usage of the word can be found in Olaudah Equiano's book where he mentioned that his people referred to 'red-skinned' men as 'oyeeboe'. Note, this was at a time when there was barely any contact between the Igbos on the east and Yorubas on the west and both areas were separated by the Bini kingdom located in between. Also, a christian missionary in old Aboh kingdom, an Igbo-speaking kingdom in modern-day Delta Igbo, wrote of his experienced and noted that the people often referred to him as 'oeboe'. This published evidence proves that the Igbos have been using 'Oyibo' since the last 300 years.

On the other hand, there is no evidence that Oyibo is of Yoruba origin. Being sister languages, Igbo and Yoruba share so many similar words in common such as nti/eti for ear, mmili/omi for water, okwute/okuta for stone/rock etc. Proper, Oyinbo can be said to be the Yoruba way of pronunciation and 'Oyibo' the Igbo word for the same thing. 'Peeled skin' meaning whatever is not a definitive basis for your conclusion.

Even more evidencing is the fact that across several tribes in southern Nigeria, the word for a European person is 'Oyibo' except only in Yoruba land where it is 'Oyinbo'. The Igalas who are said to have a Yoruboid language even use 'Oyibo' and not 'Oyinbo'.

At best, it can be said that Oyibo is Igbo pronunciation, Oyinbo is Yoruba pronunciation. Just as Igbos have 'gini' and Yorubas have 'kini'.
Long before d white people came, Yorubas has always been using "Oyinbo" for the albinos or white animals. Meaning peeled skin, Removed skin, d ibos writers r just too biased when it comes to claiming somethings r theres without research.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by bigfrancis21: 3:43pm On Nov 05, 2015
funmijoyb:

Long before d white people came, Yorubas has always been using "Oyinbo" for the albinos or white animals. Meaning peeled skin, Removed skin, d ibos writers r just too biased when it comes to claiming somethings r theres without research.

Oyinbo is Yoruba pronunciation. No one is arguing that with you. However, as for Oyibo deriving from Oyinbo? I am not sure about that.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by scholes0(m): 3:48pm On Nov 05, 2015
VoslerGrimsbane:

Albasa-hausa
Wahala-hausa

Thanks

No.
Both languages got it from Arabic.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Nov 05, 2015
scholes0:

No.

Hausa got it from Arabic. Yoruba got it from hausa. That's in the case of "basl"

In the case of wahala, it's a hausa word.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 3:55pm On Nov 05, 2015
scholes0:

No.

I think your tribesman admitted to deriving it from hausa here. It's a no brainer.

https://www.nairaland.com/939854/common-yoruba-words-borrowed-arabic

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by scholes0(m): 4:02pm On Nov 05, 2015
VoslerGrimsbane:

I think your tribesman admitted to deriving it from hausa here. It's a no brainer.

https://www.nairaland.com/939854/common-yoruba-words-borrowed-arabic

which one is ''Tribesman" again
I am telling you it wasn't originally an Hausa word. If your neighbor teaches you Latin, it does not mean Latin originated in his house.
Funnily enough, that Yoruba Neighbor from which the word was acquired may have actually been the Nupe and Not the Hausa. Yorubas had no real direct link with the later group.
Or aren't we talking about the origin of words (their etymology) here again ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Nov 05, 2015
scholes0:

which one is ''Tribesman" again
I am telling you it wasn't originally an Hausa word. If your neighbor teaches you Latin, it does not mean Latin originated in his house.
Funnily enough, that Yoruba Neighbor from which the word was acquired may have actually been the Nupe and Not the Hausa. Yorubas had no real direct link with the later group.
Or aren't we talking about the origin of words (their etymology) here again ?

In a Nigerian context, it's our word, not yours. Why are you so worked up by this? Lool! Onion isn't originally indigenous to you. Nor us probably, that'd why you didn't have a word for it. There's no shame in it. Just be man enough to call a spade a spade. Admit you got it from hausa, I dont care what route you choose but we adopted that word first.

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by scholes0(m): 7:26pm On Nov 05, 2015
VoslerGrimsbane:

In a Nigerian context, it's our word, not yours. Why are you so worked up by this? Lool! Onion isn't originally indigenous to you. Nor us probably, that'd why you didn't have a word for it. There's no shame in it. Just be man enough to call a spade a spade. Admit you got it from hausa, I dont care what route you choose but we adopted that word first.

Thanks

Is it a word original to the Hausa or not?
Simple question.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 7:31pm On Nov 05, 2015
VoslerGrimsbane:
Further proof. The Arabic word is basl and the Hausa word is Al-basa, the prefix Al, is very popular in Hausa like in almakashi (scissors) or Al-gungumi (devious), or even the more famous al-majiri, where did the yoruba's get the Al from? Why is it closer to the Hausa variation and not a different variation of the original. Also for wahala, I'm still waiting for a reply from my saudi friend because I don't know the Arabic variation but I'm sure is not wahala, why is the Yoruba word also wahala?

No offense but leave our words alone.

Scholes0

Wtf is your problem? Do you have an inferiority complex or something? The other day you were busy with some stu.pid argument about our population, when you were proven wrong you ran for the heels calling us uneducated. What's wrong with you? Do you have a problem with hausas or something? I have no problem with you using it as long as you admit it roots and not try to steal it. Have you not heard of plagiarism?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by scholes0(m): 7:38pm On Nov 05, 2015
VoslerGrimsbane:

Scholes0
Wtf is your problem? Do you have an inferiority complex or something? The other day you were busy with some stu.pid argument about our population, when you were proven wrong you ran for the heels calling us uneducated. What's wrong with you? Do you have a problem with hausas or something? I have no problem with you using it as long as you admit it roots and not try to steal it. Have you not heard of plagiarism?

You still haven't answered the question. undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 7:39pm On Nov 05, 2015
scholes0:

You still haven't answered the question. undecided

If that doesn't answer your question then you my friend are an im.becile.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by scholes0(m): 7:44pm On Nov 05, 2015
VoslerGrimsbane:

If that doesn't answer your question then you my friend are an im.becile.

You keep dodging the question.
Is Wahala a word original to Hausa? How difficult can that be? Just answer, instead of throwing tantrums like a toddler.
We can start discussing the possible routes from which the word came into Yoruba later. And finally, you can leave the thread and let the original purpose be discussed instead of throwing fits.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi Builds New House 'Paraki White House' In Ife (Pics) / I Am Dominican From Dominica Republic... ASK Me Anything. / Ooni Of Ife Oba Ogunwusi Finally Marries Fourth Wife, Set To Marry 5th(pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.