Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,693 members, 7,816,834 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:18 PM

Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? (67386 Views)

Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica / 4 Things Igbo People Like. / Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 7:51pm On Nov 05, 2015
scholes0:

You keep dodging the question.
Is Wahala a word original to Hausa? How difficult can that be? Just answer, instead of throwing tantrums like a toddler.
We can start discussing the possible routes from which the word came into Yoruba later. And finally, you can leave the thread and let the original purpose be discussed instead of throwing fits.

Yes, Wahala is.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by scholes0(m): 7:57pm On Nov 05, 2015
VoslerGrimsbane:

Yes, Wahala is.

Alright then. Explain this.

wahala
noun; Affliction, trouble or tribulation Wahala is a word that has been used in both the Yoruba and Hausa language for a very long period of time. These two languages are very distinct and are spoken in completely different regions of Nigeria. it’s derived from the Arabic “wahla,” which means “fright,” “terror”, and due to the Arabic influence in both the north and west, (regions where hausa and Yoruba is spoken) the word was adopted and became part of the two languages centuries ago. Wahala has a negative connotation and refers to an affliction, grave trouble or tribulation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Phut(f): 7:58pm On Nov 05, 2015
funmijoyb:
Lalasticlala

Ose or Oshey ; Thank you
Oluwa; God
Baba; Father
Jo; please
Oya or Otiya
Patapata; everything
Lailai; Never
Lepa; Slim
Orobo; Fat
Ajebutter; Wealthy person
Ajepako; Poor person
Yeye; Joke
Keke; Bicycle
Igbo; weed or Bush
Oga; Boss
Mama; mother

You are guilty of what you accuse Igbo's. It seems once a word from any of the native languages becomes part of mainstream pidgin, you turn and claim it to be Yoruba.
Kaura5000 and VodlerGrimsbane have already schooled you on Wahala being a Hausa word.

Another is Oga/Ogaranya which a 100 % Igbo word and not Yoruba. Oga/Ogaranya = Rich man/Boss in Igbo. Go ask your elders the Yoruba word for Boss because it sure ain't Oga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig97XJv8iRQ?t=1s

BTW, I just saw "Mama" on your list. You must be a joker

12 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Nov 05, 2015
L O L.

I wasn't aware Igbos use Ogbeni and Oja when speaking Igbo, let alone claim them as Igbo words.

And I like the irony that at least one of the words Igbos were supposed to have 'stolen' had been in turn stolen from the Hausa or the Arabs or whoever.

Finally, I can't help laughing at the claim that 'Mama' is a Yoruba word.

9 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by scholes0(m): 8:02pm On Nov 05, 2015
Phut:

You are guilty of what you accuse Igbo's. It seems once a word from any of the native languages becomes part of mainstream pidgin, you turn and claim it to be Yoruba.
Kaura5000 and VodlerGrimsbane have already schooled you on Wahala being a Hausa word.

Another is Oga/Ogaranya which a 100 % Igbo word and not Yoruba. Oga/Ogaranya = Rich man/Boss in Igbo.

Oga is Yoruba.
The Oga of Yoruba is a word by itself, meaning "Boss", not rich man or anything similar to it. not part of a word.
Also, their tones are different. Oga is (Ògá), Ogaranya's is (Ògà)

Other than that, I agree with the rest of your statement, thread title is stupid.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Phut(f): 8:08pm On Nov 05, 2015
scholes0:

Oga is Yoruba.
The Oga of Yoruba is a word by itself, not part of a word.
Also, their tones are different. Oga is (Ògá), Ogaranya's is (Ògà)

Other than that, I agree with the rest of your statement, thread title is stupid.

Nope. I have had this conversation with a Yoruba girl, who thought Oga was Yoruba because the use of the word is so mainstream now but when she asked her mother, her mother told her otherwise.

In Igbo language we use contractions all the time

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by scholes0(m): 8:11pm On Nov 05, 2015
Phut:

Nope. I have had this conversation with a Yoruba girl, who thought Oga was Yoruba because the use of the word is so mainstream now but when she asked her mother, her mother told her otherwise.

In Igbo language we use contractions all the time

How would you explain the difference in intonation, then?
As you might well be Aware, in African Languages like Igbo and Yoruba, Tones can make all the difference.

Ògá in Yoruba is a stand alone word, meaning someone above you.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Phut(f): 8:11pm On Nov 05, 2015
Drchristian:

Oyibo is simply out of d word Oyinbo which is a yoruba
word. oyibo has no direct meaning in igbo.

Wrong. Oyibo is an Igbo word and always have been. Igbo people even bear it as names. I have a family friend named Oyibo Asi***

A search on Facebook will show many Igbo people that bear the name Oyibo

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by scholes0(m): 8:15pm On Nov 05, 2015
Phut:

Wrong. Oyibo is an Igbo word and always have been. Igbo people even bear it as names. I have a family friend named Oyibo Asi***

A search on Facebook will show many Igbo people that bear the name Oyibo

I find the co-incidence interesting.
Because Yoruba also bear that very same word as name, either as a stand alone, or with prefixes such as "omo", "Ade". The present Deji as Akure has it in one of his names. But in the Yoruba form, oyinbo"

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Phut(f): 8:17pm On Nov 05, 2015
scholes0:

How would you explain the difference in intonation, then?
As you might well be Aware, in African Languages like Igbo and Yoruba, Tones can make all the difference.

Ògá in Yoruba is a stand alone word, meaning someone above you.

The tonal pronounciation in the Igbo word is exactly the same as the pidgin equivalent. And like I said, Igbo's contract words all the time.
I don't understand Yoruba so I am not going to comment on that. But I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that when we Igbo's say the word Oga, we are referring to its meaning in Igbo and not some Yoruba word

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by scholes0(m): 8:22pm On Nov 05, 2015
Phut:

The tonal pronounciation in the Igbo word is exactly the same as the pidgin equivalent. And like I said, Igbo's contract words all the time.
I don't understand Yoruba so I am not going to comment on that. But I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that when we Igbo's say the word Oga, we are referring to its meaning in Igbo and not some Yoruba word

The tone in Igbo and Pidgin is not the same. I listened to the video you posted, and they are not the same.
All (or most) African languages contract words.

What I would like you to do now is break down the word "Ogaranya" and tell us what the Ògà in it means.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Phut(f): 8:27pm On Nov 05, 2015
funmijoyb:
Lalasticlala

Ose or Oshey ; Thank you
Oluwa; God
Baba; Father
Jo; please
Oya or Otiya
Patapata; everything
Lailai; Never
Lepa; Slim
Orobo; Fat
Ajepako; Poor person
Yeye; Joke
Keke; Bicycle
Igbo; weed or Bush
Oga; Boss
Mama; mother

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Phut(f): 8:30pm On Nov 05, 2015
funmijoyb:
Lalasticlala

Ose or Oshey ; Thank you
Oluwa; God
Baba; Father
Jo; please
Oya or Otiya
Patapata; everything
Lailai; Never
Lepa; Slim
Orobo; Fat
Ajepako; Poor person
Yeye; Joke
Keke; Bicycle
Igbo; weed or Bush
Oga; Boss
Mama; mother

For Oluwa, there is Chineke
For Jo, there is Biko
For Omo there is Nna (Nna mehn)
For Oya, there is Ngwa

Inyanga is from Igbo language
Kwanta is from Igbo.
Plus a whole list of others I don't care to mention. The difference is that most people (except for you) have acknowledged the impact the different native languages have had on pidgin. And even if part of their pidgin speech contains a word from another persons native language, they give credit and move on. Unlike u who want to claim that every word is from Yoruba

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by scholes0(m): 8:31pm On Nov 05, 2015
Phut:

For Oluwa, there is Chineke
For Jo, there is Biko
For Oya, there is Ngwa

Inyanga is from Igbo language
Kwanta is from Igbo.
Plus a whole list of others I don't care to mention. The difference is that most people ((except for you) have acknowledge the impact the different native languages have had on pidgin. And even if part of their pidgin speech contains a word from a native language, they give credit and move on. Unlike u who want to claim that every word is from Yoruba

Dont mind that girl grin
But my own interests comes in, when the origin of words that are really Yoruba , such as Akara, Oga, Ashewo are involved, abd become bones of contention

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Nov 05, 2015
scholes0:

Alright then. Explain this.

My point remains the same. If wahla is the Arabic words then why are both ethnic languages using wahala? Both have a completely different language, how come the derived word for the yoruba's is the same as that of Hausas? Why not wahalo or something like that which sounds more like your language? Why is it same as hausa instead of Arabic? Loool! You can't win this.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Nov 05, 2015
Oga, akara, akamu, ogbono, egusi, agidi, oyibo, are all Igbo words. The three major ethnic groups have contributed greatly to the evolution of Pidgin English in Nigeria. The claim made by the OP is simply laughable.

scholes0:

Dont mind that girl grin
But my own interests comes in, when the origin of words that are really Yoruba , such as Akara, Oga, Ashewo are involved, abd become bones of contention

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by funmijoyb(f): 9:17pm On Nov 05, 2015
Phut:

Another is Oga/Ogaranya which a 100 % Igbo word and not Yoruba. Oga/Ogaranya = Rich man/Boss in Igbo. Go ask your elders the Yoruba word for Boss because it sure ain't Oga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig97XJv8iRQ?t=1s

No u r d Joker, see you, claiming all d words but d credit will always be giving to d source.
Oga is now igbo word abi? don't say it arround any yoruba person. Nice night

i'll tell you people, love ur culture like you love yours. Stop claiming yoruba is yours just bcuz of Millions of you has migrated to yorubaland.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by funmijoyb(f): 9:21pm On Nov 05, 2015
nwanlecha:
Oga, akara, akamu, ogbono, egusi, agidi, oyibo, are all Igbo words. The three major ethnic groups have contributed greatly to the evolution of Pidgin English in Nigeria. The claim made by the OP is simply laughable.

Oga
Oyibo
you are wrong sister.This are d words ur people took back home frm interaction with yorubas.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Nov 05, 2015
Also, as an easterner, most of the words the OP put up as part of mainstream Pidgin English, are strange to me. They are probably restricted to the lingo in the SW. Growing up in the East, we knew more of Hausa words 'cause there were and are still so many Northerners in Igbo land, just as The North has the most population of Igbo migrants in Nigeria. Yoruba land is the least destination for Ndi Igbo in Nigeria, except maybe Lagos yet, Yorubas make the most noise about having Ndi Igbo in their land, which I find very funny.

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by scholes0(m): 9:21pm On Nov 05, 2015
VoslerGrimsbane:

My point remains the same. If wahla is the Arabic words then why are both ethnic languages using wahala? Both have a completely different language, how come the derived word for the yoruba's is the same as that of Hausas? Why not wahalo or something like that which sounds more like your language? Why is it same as hausa instead of Arabic? Loool! You can't win this.

Two consonants typically dont follow in Yoruba, so typically, "A" comes between the H and the L.
I dont know about Hausa.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Nov 05, 2015
I am more than right. Your people can choose to claim those words too, but it will never change the fact that they are Igbo words. I bet you now regret opening this thread, i.e. if you are the OP, because you've obviously seen how ignorant you are, about the origin of the many words you wrongly claimed were Yoruba.

funmijoyb:

Oga
Oyibo
you are wrong sister.

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by scholes0(m): 9:26pm On Nov 05, 2015
nwanlecha:

Oga, (Boss), Akara (Bean Cake), Oyinbo (White man), Akamu (pap), Egidi (corn meal) are Yoruba words.
I agree with the rest.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by funmijoyb(f): 9:31pm On Nov 05, 2015
nwanlecha:
Also, as an easterner, most of the words the OP put up as part of mainstream Pidgin English, are strange to me. They are probably restricted to the lingo in the SW. Growing up in the East, we knew more of Hausa words 'cause there were and are still so many Northerners in Igbo land, just as The North has the most population of Igbo migrants in Nigeria. Yoruba land is the least destination for Ndi Igbo in Nigeria, except maybe Lagos yet, Yorubas make the most noise about having Ndi Igbo in their land, which I find very funny.
what do you mean? You are a Joker of the higest order. South west of Nigeria has d largest igbo people in the world. Igbos in Ekiti alone is more than the ibos in d entire north. if d population of igbos in d South west is like that of the north, there wouldn't be any igbo in the South east again. Believe me

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Nov 05, 2015
Hehehe! See them claiming Conc. Igbo words as theirs. Those words are popular, so you Yorubas as usual will try to lay claim to them, just as y'all have been claiming 'wahala' as yours, before you got schooled on this thread. It's a free world anyway, so ride on. Ndi Igbo are not in the least offended.
scholes0:

Oga, (Boss), Akara (Bean Cake), Oyinbo (White man), Akamu (pap), Egidi (corn meal) are Yoruba words.
I agree with the rest.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Nov 05, 2015
You wish! Y'all are a funny bunch for real. Well, if it makes you feel better to believe that, then by all means, knock yourself out.

funmijoyb:

what do you mean? You are a Joker of the higest order. South west of Nigeria has d largest igbo people in the world. Igbos in Ekiti alone is more than the ibos in d entire north. if d population of igbos in d South west is like that of the north, there wouldn't be any igbo in the South east again. Believe me

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by scholes0(m): 9:39pm On Nov 05, 2015
nwanlecha:
Hehehe! See them claiming Conc. Igbo words as theirs. Those words are popular, so you Yorubas as usual will try to lay claim to them, just as y'all have been claiming 'wahala' as yours, before you got schooled on this thread. It's a free world anyway, so ride on. Ndi Igbo are not in the least offended.

How can I claim conc Igbo words, when I dont even understand Igbo?
I listed those word and told you what they mean

Read this document, for Egidi.
http://scihub.org/AJFN/PDF/2011/2/AJFN-1-2-79-81.pdf

As for Akamu, Oyinbo, Oga, Akara and the rest, I wont even argue with u

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Nov 05, 2015
I wouldn't even argue with you guys about words that are definitely ours so, I am done here. It's not only 'egidi,' how about 'digidi.' funny people!
scholes0:

How can I claim conc Igbo words, when I dont even understand Igbo?
I listed those word and told you what they mean

Read this document, for Egidi.
http://scihub.org/AJFN/PDF/2011/2/AJFN-1-2-79-81.pdf

As for Akamu, Oyinbo, Oga, Akara and the rest, I wont even argue with u

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Nov 05, 2015
VoslerGrimsbane:

Yes, Wahala is.
Go and study yoruba's alphabets, then u will know Whala, Oga and many more words u r claming are yoruba word.

Yoruba people, culture and words has existed long before the igbo's first ancestor was born. Think about d population in 5 states of Benin republic, more than 8 states in Nigeria.

part of Edo, Lagos,Kwara,Kogi,Osun,Ekiti,Oyo, Ogun and Ondo.

Togo
ivory coast e.t.c

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 9:55pm On Nov 05, 2015
Onijagidijagan:

Go and study yoruba's alphabets, then u will know Whala, Oga and many more words u r claming are yoruba word.

Yoruba people, culture and words has existed long before the igbo's first ancestor was born. Think about d population in 5 states of Benin republic, more than 8 states in Nigeria.

part of Edo, Lagos,Kwara,Kogi,Osun,Ekiti,Oyo, Ogun and Ondo.

Togo
ivory coast e.t.c

Did I mention Igbo since I began this discussion? Lol! And I'm the one who needs to learn how to read.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 9:56pm On Nov 05, 2015
nwanlecha:
Jargons 4 saying more Hausa words? igbo cannot speak 4 five minutes without a yoruba word in it.
even some of ur market u called it oja Oba.

But a yoruba might not speak ibo word throughout his/her life time.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by Nobody: 10:00pm On Nov 05, 2015
Please quit this madness. What business do I, as an easterner, have with Yoruba of all languages? Please if this is an insult, desist from it. Inukwa!

Onijagidijagan:

Jargons 4 saying more Hausa words? igbo cannot speak 4 five minutes without a yoruba word in it.
even some of ur market u called it oja Oba.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? by scholes0(m): 10:05pm On Nov 05, 2015
This Nwalencha is just arguing blindly....
lol... so these people have rilly been made to believe these words are Igbo? Eehya.

Next will be "Nkor, Kpatakpata, Jare, Shebi, Gbedu, Bam-bam, Abi, Gbadun, Lekpa, Shey, Omo, Kpangolo, Joor, and a ton of others.
Onijagidijagan, just wait in 10 more years, they will say these words are theirs.

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

I Am Dominican From Dominica Republic... ASK Me Anything. / Juju/black Magic In Nigeria - Blood Money And Spiritual Attacks / Ooni Of Ife Oba Ogunwusi Finally Marries Fourth Wife, Set To Marry 5th(pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.