Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,495 members, 7,823,158 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:58 AM

To Change Car Engine From 2.4 To 2.2 Means What? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / To Change Car Engine From 2.4 To 2.2 Means What? (1988 Views)

Lady Teaches Ladies How To Change Car Tyres Better Than Men. / How To Cook Food On Your Car's Engine (Photos) / How Can I Stop A Smoking Engine From Smoking Any Fluid? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Change Car Engine From 2.4 To 2.2 Means What? by Bobbyjay001(m): 8:01pm On Nov 04, 2015
Pls,help a fellow nairalander. I want to buy a Toyota big daddy to be precise and I asked the owner the issue(s) with the car. He only said the engine was changed from 2.4 to 2.2. What does this mean? Is it adviceable to buy or not? What are the 2.2 engine setback over the 2.4? I need an answer ASAP as I don't want someone else to buy it cos it's price is very cheap. Thanks.
Re: To Change Car Engine From 2.4 To 2.2 Means What? by tempex88(m): 8:03pm On Nov 04, 2015
Means u Don spoil am
Re: To Change Car Engine From 2.4 To 2.2 Means What? by Ukeachu1(m): 8:14pm On Nov 04, 2015
Bobbyjay001:
Pls,help a fellow nairalander. I want to buy a Toyota big daddy to be precise and I asked the owner the issue of the car. He only said the engine was changed from 2.4 to 2.2. What does this means? Is it adviceable to buy or not? What are the 2.2 engine setback over the 2.4? I need an answer ASAP as I don't want someone else to buy it cos it's price is very cheap. Thanks.

means d original engine of d car was removed and d engine of another car was introduced. probably for more speed or torque. cud have vibration problems if d sitting of d engine was not perfect
Re: To Change Car Engine From 2.4 To 2.2 Means What? by Bobbyjay001(m): 8:32pm On Nov 04, 2015
Thanks bro. Could this mean that that the engine was replaced with same engine model like the original engine or with an engine differerent from the original one? Is it compulsory the car will vibrate when its engine is changed? And if nothing like the vibration or any other emgine problem is noticed,is it adviceable I buy it cos I av not maintained a car in my life. This will be my first car and the car in question is Toyota big daddy. Thanks sir.
Ukeachu1:

means d original engine of d car was removed and d engine of another car was introduced. probably for more speed or torque. cud have vibration problems if d sitting of d engine was not perfect
Re: To Change Car Engine From 2.4 To 2.2 Means What? by mayor2013: 9:00pm On Nov 04, 2015
Bobbyjay001:
Pls,help a fellow nairalander. I want to buy a Toyota big daddy to be precise and I asked the owner the issue of the car. He only said the engine was changed from 2.4 to 2.2. What does this means? Is it adviceable to buy or not? What are the 2.2 engine setback over the 2.4? I need an answer ASAP as I don't want someone else to buy it cos it's price is very cheap. Thanks.

You better ru as far as your legs can carry you. Or better still I call usain bolt to teach you how to run

2 Likes

Re: To Change Car Engine From 2.4 To 2.2 Means What? by Nobody: 9:43pm On Nov 04, 2015
My understanding of this issue is that, a new engine of less displacement was installed. If the car's wiring wasn't tampered with & the engine is a direct fit, i don't see a problem here.

Setback is less engine power which may / maynot translate to better fuel economy.
Re: To Change Car Engine From 2.4 To 2.2 Means What? by Ukeachu1(m): 9:52pm On Nov 04, 2015
Bobbyjay001:
Thanks bro. Could this mean that that the engine was replaced with same engine model like the original engine or with an engine differerent from the original one? Is it compulsory the car will vibrate when its engine is changed? And if nothing like the vibration or any other emgine problem is noticed,is it adviceable I buy it cos I av not maintained a car in my life. This will be my first car and the car in question is Toyota big daddy. Thanks sir.

its definitely not d same engine model. d 2.4 and 2.2 are actually d litres of d engine cylinders. if u ask me. I'll say don't buy. it cud lead to many complications except done by an expert.
Re: To Change Car Engine From 2.4 To 2.2 Means What? by Bobbyjay001(m): 10:01pm On Nov 04, 2015
God bless you sir. Your advice is handy.
I asked for advice from a friend who knows a lot about cars. He adviced I shouldn't buy cos of the engine replaced. The owner is even giving me clues that it's engine has problem and maybe it's fuse or relay.
Heard you sir. I will call of the deal ASAP. Thanks once again.
Ukeachu1:

its definitely not d same engine model. d 2.4 and 2.2 are actually d litres of d engine cylinders. if u ask me. I'll say don't buy. it cud lead to many complications except done by an expert.
Re: To Change Car Engine From 2.4 To 2.2 Means What? by mayor2013: 10:18pm On Nov 04, 2015
0rex:
My understanding of this issue is that, a new engine of less displacement was installed. If the car's wiring wasn't tampered with & the engine is a direct fit, i don't see a problem here.

Setback is less engine power which may / maynot translate to better fuel economy.

The chances of the CAN wiring system not being compromised is slim. I would give it 2%
Re: To Change Car Engine From 2.4 To 2.2 Means What? by Nobody: 10:45pm On Nov 04, 2015
mayor2013:

The chances of the CAN wiring system not being compromised is slim. I would give it 2%
Ok. Boss.
I wonder how our mechanics reason at times. It's not like the standard engine is not readily available, so why wreck factory engineering you can't reproduce
Re: To Change Car Engine From 2.4 To 2.2 Means What? by mayor2013: 10:48pm On Nov 04, 2015
0rex:
Ok. Boss.
I wonder how our mechanics reason at times. It's not like the standard engine is not readily available, so why wreck factory engineering you can't reproduce

They should be better off show casing their talents at Nigeria's car assembling plant undecided
Re: To Change Car Engine From 2.4 To 2.2 Means What? by mayor2013: 10:48pm On Nov 04, 2015
0rex:
Ok. Boss.

They would be better off show casing their talents at Nigeria's car assembling plant undecided
Re: To Change Car Engine From 2.4 To 2.2 Means What? by austin4real(m): 11:16pm On Nov 04, 2015
If u're opportuned, kindly paste a picture of the vehicles engine bay here on this forum..
Re: To Change Car Engine From 2.4 To 2.2 Means What? by FestacGirl(f): 11:31pm On Nov 04, 2015
This is the car the op is talking about
that car has been beaten based on look's , i know it's gonna be a money pit, i wouldn't advice you to buy it
https://www.nairaland.com/2712109/registered-toyota-big-daddy-380k#39661699
Re: To Change Car Engine From 2.4 To 2.2 Means What? by FestacGirl(f): 11:38pm On Nov 04, 2015
mayor2013:

They should be better off show casing their talents at Nigeria's car assembling plant undecided
0rex:

i doubt if any mechanic in his sane senses will embark on such, this will be the fault of the owner not being able to afford the engine replacement thereby going for the cheaper pencil light engine , because i heard the 2003-2006 camry engine is upto 200k
Re: To Change Car Engine From 2.4 To 2.2 Means What? by abatically(m): 2:19am On Nov 05, 2015
Bobbyjay001:

In simple English, the engine was replaced with Camry pencil light engine. Not a good idea if u ask me, unless done by a professional which would end up costing more money than replacing with its original engine.
Re: To Change Car Engine From 2.4 To 2.2 Means What? by ogawisdom(m): 5:48am On Nov 05, 2015
Bobbyjay001:

Don't buy BC u dnt want to start ur car ownership with engine wahala, I guess d owner is selling cheap BC of this. It's always better to buy naija used cars with their factory fitted engine. Jst walk away from d deal even if d car is offered to u at 250k angry. Every car is designed with a specific engine for a reason, dnt believe in swapping engines

If u must buy d car then u ve to return the original 2.4 engine ie buy toks n remove dt junk installed there n replace. This will b really capital intensive n will leave u financially devastated
Re: To Change Car Engine From 2.4 To 2.2 Means What? by Bobbyjay001(m): 5:48am On Nov 05, 2015
Thanks, I av called off d deal already.
abatically:

In simple English, the engine was replaced with Camry pencil light engine. Not a good idea if u ask me, unless done by a professional which would end up costing more money than replacing with its original engine.
Re: To Change Car Engine From 2.4 To 2.2 Means What? by Bobbyjay001(m): 6:14am On Nov 05, 2015
ogawisdom:

Don't buy BC u dnt want to start ur car ownership with engine wahala, I guess d owner is selling cheap BC of this. It's always better to buy naija used cars with their factory fitted engine. Jst walk away from d deal even if d car is offered to u at 250k angry. Every car is designed with a specific engine for a reason, dnt believe in swapping engines

If u must buy d car then u ve to return the original 2.4 engine ie buy toks n remove dt junk installed there n replace. This will b really capital intensive n will leave u financially devastated

I really appreciate your prompt response. Many have adviced I run as fast as my legs could carry me. And I av already called off the deal. Thanks so much sir.
Re: To Change Car Engine From 2.4 To 2.2 Means What? by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:12am On Nov 05, 2015
There's no way a camry 2.2liter 5s-fe engine would fit in the engine bay, without changing the original transmission.

My guess is the entire engine and transmission was replaced.

OR

A smaller 1AZ-FE (2.0 liter) engine was used.
Re: To Change Car Engine From 2.4 To 2.2 Means What? by Nobody: 8:02am On Nov 05, 2015
grin
mayor2013:

They would be better off show casing their talents at Nigeria's car assembling plant undecided
Re: To Change Car Engine From 2.4 To 2.2 Means What? by Nobody: 8:07am On Nov 05, 2015
FestacGirl:

i doubt if any mechanic in his sane senses will embark on such, this will be the fault of the owner not being able to afford the engine replacement thereby going for the cheaper pencil light engine , because i heard the 2003-2006 camry engine is upto 200k
Ok but sometimes, it's the mechanics that mislead car owners, especially those that don't seek for multiple opinions before taking decision.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Your Car can look this Great / ATTN: Sienna, Fhemmy, Kunle & NL Auto Gurus: MY 06 SONATA ENGINE PROBLEMS. / Camry, Honda Most Stolen Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.