Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,835 members, 7,834,799 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 07:54 PM

South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc (51430 Views)

Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? / Feb 2016 Fixed Deposit Rates: GTB, Diamond, Firstbank, Stanbic, Sterling, Wema (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc by naptu2: 7:55am On Nov 05, 2015
[size=14pt]Why NCC Acted[/size]

27 Oct 2015

May 1, 2010: Telecom operators in Nigeria were mandated to start collecting biometric and non-biometric personal information for each new subscriber in an effort to improve information gathering towards enhancing national security. This was initiated by the Office of the National Security Adviser (NSA) in collaboration with other security agencies and the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC).

November 7, 2011: The SIM Registration Regulations came into force. Section 19 of the SIM Registration Regulations sets out a fine of N200,000 for every SIM card which is found to be fully active without proper registration details while Section 20 of the Regulations also stipulates a fine of N200,000 for failure to deactivate any SIM Card without proper registration details.

November 2013: Operators were directed to fully bar any newly registered SIM card, which failed to perform a voice or data communication within 48 hours after its registration.

September 2014: The NCC, to whom operators upload registrations every month, shared details back to the operators of registration records that the NCC judged as invalid on the NCC system. Operators were directed to clean up their registration records through deactivation or reconcile the records within a 30-day period.

July 8, 2015: The NCC directed operators to deactivate all pre-registered SIM cards (SIMs registered but without a record of activity) within a period of 21 days - from July 8, 2015 to July 29, 2015.

August 4, 2015: Operators, representatives of the NSA, Director State Security (DSS) and the NCC held a meeting to discuss issues around SIM registration in Nigeria. The issue of invalid registrations was highlighted as a major threat to national security and a directive was issued to all telecommunications operators to deactivate all SIM cards with improper/invalid registration details by August 11, 2015.

August 17, 2015: The NCC and security agencies conducted a compliance audit on all operators between August 17, 2015 and August 19, 2015 following the expiry of the deadline of August 11, 2015, for deactivation of improperly registered SIM cards. The NCC disclosed, at a press conference on the same day that despite sharing a list of invalid registration details with operators, MTN had made little or no effort towards compliance with the deactivation directive whilst other operators had largely complied.

September 4, 2015: A high level meeting chaired by the Chief of Staff to the President of Nigeria was called at the presidential villa. This meeting is unprecedented in the Nigerian business industry as the telecom CEOs were brought to meet the heads of the main security agencies and the Executive Vice-Chairman of the NCC, in order for the compliance with the deactivation directive to be emphasised.

Operators were advised that continued non-compliance would lead to the imposition of penalties of N200,000 per improperly registered SIM card, and that all businesses must respect the law or risk licences being revoked. The Chief of Staff to the President of Nigeria implored operators to take the matter seriously noting that (i) security and safety of the people is No. 1 on the president's agenda; (ii) 70% of kidnappings, violent crimes and insurgence are facilitated using unregistered SIM cards making it impossible to trace the perpetrators; (iii) government supports the private sector but companies must operate within the law; (iv) in other countries heavy fines are levied on the private sector for non-compliance (e.g. JP Morgan’s $20bn fine).

It was also agreed that (i) operators were to immediately reconcile the records of their deactivations against the list of invalid registrations earlier shared with operators by the NCC by September 7, 2015; and (ii) a penalty of N200,000 per unregistered/poorly registered SIM card would be imposed as stipulated in the SIM Registration Regulations 2011.

Despite the above detailed entreaties and warnings over a 12-month period (from September 2014), on the importance of ensuring that only SIM cards with valid SIM registration details are active on telecommunications networks, MTN failed to comply with the directive to deactivate improperly registered subscribers.

September 2015: Following repeated warnings and compliance enforcement visits as detailed above, MTN only made a partial attempt to bar unregistered subscribers in selected areas over a few days in September 2015. Other operators had fully complied and reconciled their deactivations with the invalid registrations shared by the NCC up to four weeks earlier.

October 22, 2015: Having reviewed the registration records of all the telecom operators and having taken into consideration their compliance records, the NCC imposed a fine on MTN alone for non-compliance with SIM registration. This unprecedented fine is indicative of the magnitude of the transgression and the seriousness with which the NCC and the authorities are approaching this issue. It is also more likely to ensure that the willful non-compliance by MTN ceases.
Non-compliance

MTN’s non-compliance with the directive is unfortunately not an isolated incident. It needs to be seen in the context of a general pattern of non-compliance with regulatory directives that actually predates the current SIM registration infractions.

•Source: Nigerian Communications Commission

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/why-ncc-acted/223896/

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc by Nobody: 7:55am On Nov 05, 2015
MTN was a signatory to the sim card regulation deadline, yet it broke the rule.

*In mama peace' voice*

WHO DEY FOOL WHO

2 Likes

Re: South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc by osabiya16(m): 7:55am On Nov 05, 2015
Typing
Re: South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc by ireasontight: 7:56am On Nov 05, 2015
and why is it that no nigerian head of state(even when buhari was head of state) have fined these oil exploration companies billions of dollars for spilling oil in Biafra land.,Maaad people

1 Like

Re: South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc by RexTramadol1: 8:01am On Nov 05, 2015
Abajo, the rate @ which dem dey deduct credit eh, e don taya me,but wetin man go do?
Re: South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc by Nobody: 8:03am On Nov 05, 2015
They havent paid the fines yet, ben murray brute is even saying that mtn should be given a warning, I wonder if he is a senator of the republic of MTN. I wont be surprised if they end up not paying anything at all.
Re: South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc by oz4real83(m): 8:07am On Nov 05, 2015
Shame on u for supporting the excesses of another nation against urs!!! I expected us to stand together in this kind of situation. Mtn has been raping Nigerians for so long. They don't care about our rules even when they were signatory to some of the agreements. Even when we don't communicate they still charge us as long as we have dialled a number!!! Our data subscription still expires even when we don't use it. They bill us for services we don't even request for. Our companies in South Africa can never blantantly break their laws over there as they are doing here!!! The case of the seized 15million dollars is still very fresh in our memory. I stand with NCC all the way in this situation. If u can't do the time don't do the crime!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc by babafirst(m): 8:08am On Nov 05, 2015
I hope MTN is not using economic blackmail or arm twisting methods.They should beg cos they signed the 200k per SIM agreement.Infact,I now know why in the 70s Murtala Mohammed did everything possible to prevent the Lebanese from dominating our economy.Although in this era of globalization I know economic networking and cross border investments are essential however governments must be strict in ensuring that no other country or organization is so powerful it brings a nation to it's knees.

1 Like

Re: South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc by Nobody: 8:09am On Nov 05, 2015
MTN, DSTV & others should always do the needful,..God bless naija,..my dream & prayer is to see all nation turns to christian believe faith of God so as peace can reign.
Re: South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc by Nobody: 8:09am On Nov 05, 2015
MTN should sell their facilities in Nigeria and move out if they are not ready.

Other investors are willing to buy and comply with the rules.

Thanks for Change.

2 Likes

Re: South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc by deb(m): 8:10am On Nov 05, 2015
onoerime:
they should also look into dstv dubious activities

What dubious activity is that?
Re: South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc by cirmuell(m): 8:12am On Nov 05, 2015
wordcat:
No need worrying, Nigeria is an amusement park where everything is possible if you knw your way.
Well, not anymore.
Re: South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc by cirmuell(m): 8:13am On Nov 05, 2015
aminho:
So 9ja fit cripple another country economy
why you think they call us the Giant of Africa tongue
Re: South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc by Nobody: 8:13am On Nov 05, 2015
The govt shud fashy MTN and focus on DSTV, they are the mentors and the master scamlords!
Re: South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc by nogames: 8:14am On Nov 05, 2015
superstar1:
Just tell your companies that there is a new no-nonsense government in town.

Going forward, they should learn to play by the rules.

If it was during the days of a particular administration - where stealing is not corruption and yams are kept with the goats, I am sure MTN would have been laughing at NCC hysterically.
Dont mind them, tbey were silent when their companies flaut rules of the land any how. DSTV is next i could remember the company went ahead to increase subscription fee early this year against court ruling. Their sanction is doing press-up

3 Likes

Re: South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc by cabaliciouscabal: 8:15am On Nov 05, 2015
onyedikachukwue:
Under 6months Apc has turn Nigeria to a joke.
Economic recession
Insecurity(everyday armrobbery,bombing)
The youths touting around.
People loosing their jobs
Investors loosing.
And their are still some gullible ones.

So all these weren't present during ur clueless jonathan reign?

Am sure u Jst woken up from a Bad Dream.

Beta go bk and continue ur sleep. It seems u ar still drowsy.

1 Like

Re: South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc by tiredface: 8:17am On Nov 05, 2015
WORRY FOR WHAT? "I DEE LAF OOO" THEY JUST DON'T KNOW THAT WE'RE THE MOST DIS FUNCTIONAL IRRITANT COUNTRY

1 Like

Re: South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc by cirmuell(m): 8:17am On Nov 05, 2015
fistonati:
Next should be dstv and gv startimes audience needed as China did.

Time for speedy transformation of NITEL

Yes to Nigerian products for economic recovery
Startime is China bruh.
Re: South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc by Nobody: 8:17am On Nov 05, 2015
The fact that they're worried shows they're actually sensible.
Would they have broken the law if they were operating in USA or UK? Hell no!
So, they should pay the fine and abide by the laws or pack up and flee.
Re: South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc by olutunde12(m): 8:18am On Nov 05, 2015
ValerianSteel:
Can they stop singing reggae blues already.

Pay the fine cause this is a new Nigeria,there's no bribing or conniving your way out of this,they can't even go to court,)that would make their case worse.

MTN had better acted responsible enough and pay up these fine cause if it were customers owing MTN,they'd find a way to collect the money in double.

Instead of being jealous of SA, I think what we need do is tell the dollards in aso rock to do something too. Tell us the name of nigeria's investment in other countries. Why being jealous of SA?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc by Acidosis(m): 8:19am On Nov 05, 2015
If MTN, DSTV, Gotv, Stanbic, Shoprite halt all outlets in Nigeria, over 10 million Nigerians would be rendered jobless and useless.

Nigerians should stop destroying people when they have no better alternative. Think about the number of football viewing centres. The number of Chelsea, Arsenal fans that would die of heart attack, the number of Shoprite workers and affiliates that would end up begging on the streets.

We simply can't do anything aside empty noise online. We have more Nigerians living in South Africa than S.As living in Nigeria. Why?

We are just bunch of lousy buffalos who have nothing to offer than extorting monies. Why can't you all go to S.A and make or build another MTN? What stops GLO from investing in S.A? What stops MYTV from investing/extorting in S.A? A clear case of mediocrity!

We need to bury our heads in the saw dust of shame. Shameless citizens.

Nigerians and their love for quick money. Your economy is failing in the midst of over 30 mineral resources and all you all can think about is MTN recharge card money. Same money you all will indirectly pay back to the company.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc by olutunde12(m): 8:23am On Nov 05, 2015
tiredface:
WORRY FOR WHAT? "I DEE LAF OOO" THEY JUST DON'T KNOW THAT WE'RE THE MOST DIS FUNCTIONAL IRRITANT COUNTRY

Eni ti ko ni iru eni ko le mo iyi eni i.e you do not appreciate what you have not experienced. Nigeria doesnt have foreign investments so does not know the meaning of losing about 5,000,000 customers because of a registrtion that was an after thought!
Re: South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc by aku626(m): 8:24am On Nov 05, 2015
They've now increased the tariff of FAF to 20k/s I believe the public can as well do more damage to mtn by porting to other networks. If i were etisalat and glo this would be the time to act fast oh and airtel are they still in existence?
Re: South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc by olutunde12(m): 8:26am On Nov 05, 2015
[quote author=Acidosis post=39697806]If MTN, DSTV, Gotv, Stanbic, Shoprite halt all outlets in Nigeria, over 10 million Nigerians would be rendered jobless and useless.

Nigerians should stop destroying people when they have no better alternative. Think about the number of football viewing centres. The number of Chelsea, Arsenal fans that would die of heart attack, the number of Shoprite workers and affiliates that would end up begging on the streets.

We simply can't do anything aside empty no

Lobatan. God bless you!
Re: South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc by logica(m): 8:26am On Nov 05, 2015
They should continue to worry. So they think they are above the law since they are foreigners?
Re: South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc by himola: 8:27am On Nov 05, 2015
I prayed this would not bounce back on the subscribers if they (MTN) eventually pay the fines.
Our administrators too never take some certain things into cognizance, such security implications when "yello-yello everywhere was going on" advertisement, competition of higher customers based, sim cards and data usages were not properly account for.
No registrations of lines, an individual can have as many lines of same network as s/he wants because nobody cares, talking about cybercrimes (apart from knowing where the http comes from can one truly know the real source? ), no regulations as far as I'm concerned, ask yourself, do we (Nigerians) have a National carrier, even America maintained theirs for security, hmmmm wikileak, yes but still manageable. In 9ja, every sensitive is leakageable.
NCC have not got it right, Defence still missed there, Nigerians can still lose alot, where is your data stored? No wonder, those terrorists played the government down, can't the Govt have their tele-transmission independently? Glo, MTN, AIRTEL, even privatized N?TEL were not 9ja proper where / how will Govt compete or regulate?
Let have our own, not necessarily means Govt is into business but invest into security before it will be too late.

1 Like

Re: South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc by awa(m): 8:27am On Nov 05, 2015
Obviously from the numerous posts I have read here, it is glaring that most Nigerians are in full support of the fine slashed on MTN for defaulting.
I think I will fully comment after conclusion of this issue between NCC and MTN.

Example must be set after all other Nigeria firms like UBA and First Bank were fined too. MTN therefore is not a scapegoat at all
Re: South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc by Salmoneus(m): 8:28am On Nov 05, 2015
onyedikachukwue:
Under 6months Apc has turn Nigeria to a joke.
Economic recession
Insecurity(everyday armrobbery,bombing)
The youths touting around.
People loosing their jobs
Investors loosing.
And their are still some gullible ones.

PDP screwed this country up for 9 years and you expect it to be fixed in 6 months? undecided

2 Likes

Re: South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc by RetroBoy: 8:28am On Nov 05, 2015
magaliyu:
They should have thought about this when they collaborate with some Nigerians in there shady weapon deal,economic monopoly and emperialism of Dstv and Mtn,thank God startime and globacom are onboard the day of reconning is here.
Sorry no offence,is not protectionism is call self defence.
You cannot spell 'reckoning', your tenses and punctuation are terrible and your post doesn't make sense.
Stop insulting the intelligence of Nairalanders
Re: South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc by hectorswag(m): 8:29am On Nov 05, 2015
I'm loving this!! Let them go abeg.. As for Shoprite, brace up, Walmart is coming in soon! cheesy

Meanwhile, check out the flier below for your music production jobs & studio sessions!! Interested persons should call [size=14pt]08180335389[/size]. Thanks

Re: South African Lawmakers Worried About What Could Happen To Shoprite, Stanbic etc by olutunde12(m): 8:29am On Nov 05, 2015
aku626:
They've now increased the tariff of FAF to 20k/s I believe the public can as well do more damage to mtn by porting to other networks. If i were etisalat and glo this would be the time to act fast oh and airtel are they still in existence?

Before you begin to act fast out of jealousy, think about the number of Nigerins who have provitable jobs with that company nd others like it from SA. Ipa n pa ara e, o ni oun pa aja.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Bonds Investors Hub / NAIRALANDERS: Be Careful Of Where You Invest Your Money On This Platform. / MMM Yet To Pay Participants 72 Hours After Comeback

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.