Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,766 members, 7,809,953 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:42 PM

The Potential Of Wind Energy In Nigeria - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Potential Of Wind Energy In Nigeria (2190 Views)

Solar Energy In India Cheaper Than Fossil-fuel Power - Independent.co.uk / World's Largest Wind Energy Turbine Will Take 3yrs To Build! / US Generates 66 Gigawatts From Wind Energy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Potential Of Wind Energy In Nigeria by GeneralShepherd(m): 2:58am On Nov 05, 2015
One of the key problems in Nigeria's power sector is insufficient power generation linked to uncertainties in gas supply to generating stations. Wind energy will reduce the impact of gas supply inadequacies while at same time reduce the overall carbon emission produced in the country.

The fact that wind speeds are significantly, higher offshore than onshore have made the offshore sector a special sector for the installation of wind turbines. Nigeria has a lot of coastal states including Lagos, Rivers, Bayelsa, Cross River and Akwa Ibom which provides a strong argument for the development of wind energy in Nigeria.

Developing this sector will provide millions of jobs and boost our local manufacturing capabilities. It has the potential to significantly increas the standard of living in Nigeria.

A report by the United States Energy Department has shown the current gains and future future potentials of the offshore wind market in America . 13 projects capable of yielding 6000 MW are in the final stages of completion and 12 more projects will be completed by 2020 (http://ecmweb.com/green-building/new-report-shows-domestic-offshore-wind-industry-potential) .

6000 MW is more than our highest ever generated electrical power which is about 4000MW.

cc Lalastica
Please put this on the front page, the right eyes might see it there. Thanks!

1 Like

Re: The Potential Of Wind Energy In Nigeria by Ngasky(m): 5:01am On Nov 05, 2015
wind or solar are only good at peak load situations. but generally inefficient in terms of base loads. which Nigeria needs desperately
the two systems are open system machinery which have the efficiency of between 40-45% only at best case scenario.
it is also very expensive to install and also to maintain. it takes huge area of land/sea which cannot be used for any other purpose after installation of such system.
ask anybody who installs solar system in his house what is his experience? that is why people are going for inverters only rather than solar / wind system.
what Nigeria needs are mega power stations with the capability of base load requirement. and these can be achieved through conventional Nuclear. gas or hydro plants
i dont see where the massive job opportunity is in the phantom wind energy.
for 13 sites to give you 6000MW each site must contain thousands of wind pylons and covers thousands of hectares of area. whereby a single major power plant can give you 8000-10000MW which is better?

3 Likes

Re: The Potential Of Wind Energy In Nigeria by BALLOSKI: 6:44am On Nov 05, 2015
Ngasky:
wind or solar are only good at peak load situations. but generally inefficient in terms of base loads. which Nigeria needs desperately
the two systems are open system machinery which have the efficiency of between 40-45% only at best case scenario.
it is also very expensive to install and also to maintain. it takes huge area of land/sea which cannot be used for any other purpose after installation of such system.
ask anybody who installs solar system in his house what is his experience? that is why people are going for inverters only rather than solar / wind system.
what Nigeria needs are mega power stations with the capability of base load requirement. and these can be achieved through conventional Nuclear. gas or hydro plants
for 13 sites to give you 6000MW each site must contain thousands of wind pylons and covers thousands of hectares of area. whereby a single major power plant can give you 8000-10000MW which is better?

You have spoken so well and the gods are pleased with you.

Take a bow and go!

1 Like

Re: The Potential Of Wind Energy In Nigeria by Obeenah(m): 11:15pm On Nov 08, 2015
Ngasky:

Going through your write up I noticed you were not exactly harping on the true realities of the electricity situation in Nigeria.

For starters. The cost of building a 1000MW electricity plant is enormous compared to the solar or wind option. Also the plant would require so long a time to complete that I would be relatively time consuming. Ask yourself why Nigeria is still stuck with 4000MW since the days of Elijah.

Also the huge neglect of the power sector and infrastructure would cost the country a fortune to bring to life.

Now here's my take from my little knowledge of the situation and where the world is headed.

Do to the power sector what was done to the Telecommunications sector. At one point in time Nitel had only 75,000 operating lines with about 40% of that spread across govt parastatals, politicians and the Baba olowos. I bet we all recall the long queues we had to stand in before I could mk a call using the Nitel card.

Now fast forward to year 2000 with the liberalisation of the sector n entry of the now popular telcos. Do recall the telcos did a smart thing. Which was rather than build on the poorly maintained existing infrastructure, they decided to jump that and build from ground up. This was a smart move as it saved time n money. Next was to hand everyone who wanted to make a call a phone and this birthed the GSM revolution in Nigeria. A huge jump from Nitels 75k lines to over 100million active subscribers in less than 10years.

Similar would happen to electricity and power Generation. Every household would get a chance to own of use a solar system and pay to own or on a pay as you go basis. Thus would reduce the burden to generate electricity centrally while channeling the available 4000 MW to the industrial sector.

This is the Future. Solar Energy is the Future and we must embrace it.

1 Like

Re: The Potential Of Wind Energy In Nigeria by RuggedSniper: 6:02pm On Aug 04, 2020
Obeenah:

Going through your write up I noticed you were not exactly harping on the true realities of the electricity situation in Nigeria.

For starters. The cost of building a 1000MW electricity plant is enormous compared to the solar or wind option. Also the plant would require so long a time to complete that I would be relatively time consuming. Ask yourself why Nigeria is still stuck with 4000MW since the days of Elijah.

Also the huge neglect of the power sector and infrastructure would cost the country a fortune to bring to life.

Now here's my take from my little knowledge of the situation and where the world is headed.

Do to the power sector what was done to the Telecommunications sector. At one point in time Nitel had only 75,000 operating lines with about 40% of that spread across govt parastatals, politicians and the Baba olowos. I bet we all recall the long queues we had to stand in before I could mk a call using the Nitel card.

Now fast forward to year 2000 with the liberalisation of the sector n entry of the now popular telcos. Do recall the telcos did a smart thing. Which was rather than build on the poorly maintained existing infrastructure, they decided to jump that and build from ground up. This was a smart move as it saved time n money. Next was to hand everyone who wanted to make a call a phone and this birthed the GSM revolution in Nigeria. A huge jump from Nitels 75k lines to over 100million active subscribers in less than 10years.

Similar would happen to electricity and power Generation. Every household would get a chance to own of use a solar system and pay to own or on a pay as you go basis. Thus would reduce the burden to generate electricity centrally while channeling the available 4000 MW to the industrial sector.

This is the Future. Solar Energy is the Future and we must embrace it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Potential Of Wind Energy In Nigeria by VoidLoop: 1:51pm On Aug 06, 2020
BALLOSKI:

You have spoken so well and the gods are pleased with you.

Take a bow and go!

The gods are wise grin grin
Re: The Potential Of Wind Energy In Nigeria by AlphaTaikun: 11:39am On Nov 30, 2022
Ngasky:
Nicely put.

Mini-grids still have roles to play in locations where there is significant sunlight and wind though.

(1) (Reply)

Watch Video Of Popular Ogun River That Turns Dry Land, / Chrome Extension That Gives Nairaland A Beautiful New Look(wip) / Nigerian Student Builds Working Helicopter From Junks You Have To See This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.