Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,096 members, 7,849,425 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 09:16 PM

Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. (23337 Views)

Police Block Road To NJC Office, Denying Protesters Access To Corupt Judges / Saraki's Lawyers Walked Out On Tribunal (photos) / Saraki’s Lawyers Stage Walkout At Tribunal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by philips70(m): 8:28am On Nov 06, 2015
idris4eva:
are u a lawyer?

Not even a court clerk or bailiff. Just a court jester who knows zilch about the law but only interested in defending his corrupt paymaster. Somebody has whooped him to submission with sound legal submission known to law up there and he could probably be sweating somewhere this morning.

1 Like

Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by Genbuhari3: 8:28am On Nov 06, 2015
SAN still living in the past. The new act clearly states trial shall continue even if there is an appeal. This is to stop abortion of trials due to appeals hanging at a higher court. Supreme court has better things to do!

1 Like

Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by Nobody: 8:30am On Nov 06, 2015
philips70:

Not even a court clerk or bailiff. Just a court jester who knows zilch about the law but only interested in defending his corrupt paymaster. Somebody has whooped him to submission with sound legal submission known to law up there and he could probably be sweating somewhere this morning.

Shut up man!! The stupid CCT chairman have been dragged before the NJC lets sit and watch events unfold!!
Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by Nobody: 8:31am On Nov 06, 2015
kennybabs1980:
What will Saraki get at the supreme court? The same disappointment he got at the FHC and Court of Appeal now!

If you are so sure how come the CCT is rushing the trial!!
Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by Etinosajay(m): 8:32am On Nov 06, 2015
chukwudi44:

Nope dear!! It is called rule of law!! The stupid CCT chairman should just wait for the supreme court to adjudicate on the matters of jurisdction!! What exactly is he in a hurry for?

Are you a lawyer? Do you know the contents of the ACJA (Administration of criminal Justice Act)? Do you know more than Rotimi Jacobs (SAN)? Do you know more than the CCT judges?

2 Likes

Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by mbeheddy: 8:34am On Nov 06, 2015
I'm always amased whenever I hear people say that the youths are future leaders of tomorrow. Let me ask, what age barrack is the youths categorised into? Because to me, the youth age is between 14yrs to 35yrs. The likes of Presidents M. Buhari, Aguiyi Ironsi, O. Obasanjo etc were in their 30s when they ruled this nation, so why are they still ruling in their old age? I think and feel they should give way for someone that is still youthful just like they were when they first ruled this nation. But, that can only be possible if we youths come together, put aside our ethnic differences, and then choose and vote for someone that is between age 35-45yrs. Its only when we do this that we can liberate ourselves from these greedy and aging people will have at the helm of affairs in our country. Our votes for this candidate will surely count because in terms of numbers, we youths our more that them (people from age 50 and above).
God bless Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by Excelboi(m): 8:35am On Nov 06, 2015
IM coming
Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by miqos02(m): 8:38am On Nov 06, 2015
we shall see
Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by j4sure(m): 8:40am On Nov 06, 2015
Only God can stop corruption in Nigeria.
wengerjay:
The legal team of the Senate president, Dr Bukola Saraki, has vowed to send a protest letter to the National Judicial Council (NJC) over the alleged biased conduct of the chair of the Code of Conduct Tribunal, Mr. Danladi Umar, in the trial of their client who is facing charges of false assets declaration in Abuja.

Yesterday, three Senior Advocates of Nigeria (SANs), Mr. Ahmed Raji, Alhaji Mahmoud Magagi and Saka Abimbola Isah, who led the legal team of the Senate president, all staged a walkout on the conduct tribunal chairman to protest alleged bias in the trial.

A source last night said that the legal team had resolved to report the tribal chairman to the NJC.

“You just wait and see the action we will take in the next few days. We cannot continue like this in this country. The judicial body has to intervene in this matter,” the source said.

The angry lawyers, accompanied by about 100 others, withdrew their services in the prosecution of Saraki by federal government, accusing the tribunal of open bias against the number three citizen and displaying judicial rascality in handling the case.

The anger of the lawyers arose when the tribunal chairman, Mr. Umar, ruled that he would not stay the trial in spite of Saraki’s pending appeal at the Supreme Court.

Magaji, who first withdrew his services in the trial, told the tribunal point-blank that going ahead with the prosecution amounted to daring and prejudicing the Supreme Court in the pending appeal case of the Senate president.

He told the chairman that, as a senior counsel in the bar and a minister in the temple of justice, he would not wish to be part of an illegality and an affront on the apex court.

Mr. Raji, who followed suit in withdrawing from the suit, told the tribunal chairman he was setting a bad precedent by sitting on the same issue at the same time with the Supreme Court.

Raji explained that apart from the law and practice, it was the tradition of respect that when the Supreme Court had been invited into a matter, the lower court will, as a matter of tradition, allow the apex court decide the matter first before taking over.

“In my capacity as a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, I have not seen where this kind of conduct will be exhibited against the apex court of the country. The action of this Code of Conduct Tribunal is an affront on the constitution and to the Supreme Court and, from my own side, I will not wish to be part of this act.

“I find it most impossible to sit down here and participate in a proceeding whose legality is being challenged at the Supreme Court.”

Earlier, both Magaji and Raji had asked the tribunal to stay proceedings pending the time the Supreme Court will make pronouncement in Saraki’s appeal in which he is challenging the legality of his trial.

They cited several authorities to buttress their arguments on the need for the tribunal to grant adjournment.

But in a ruling, the chairman of the tribunal dismissed the application for adjournment and agreed with the prosecution counsel, Mr. Rotimi Jacobs (SAN) that trial should go ahead in spite of the appeal at the Supreme Court.

The tribunal chairman held that the action of the defence was a ploy to delay the trial, adding that the arguments canvassed by Saraki’s lawyers had been overtaken by the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA) 2015 which, he said, gave no room for delay in trial.

“It is an obvious fact that where a party wants to delay trial, the party normally rushes to the higher court, as in this case, but the intendment of the ACJA has taken care of such attitude where criminal trials are unjustly delayed. We will not allow that; we are going ahead with the trial,” he had ruled.

The tribunal, however, ran into trouble when no lawyer showed up to defend Saraki yesterday and he was then asked whether he would defend himself.

But the Senate president told the tribunal that he was trained in the medical line and not in law, and that it would be unfair to ask him to defend himself in a terrain he knew nothing about.

He pleaded for one month to enable him persuade his lawyers to come back or for him to look for alternatives but the tribunal insisted that one month was too long.

The case was subsequently adjourned till November 19 for trial.

. http://leadership.ng/news/472444/walkout-on-code-of-conduct-tribunal-sarakis-lawyers-vow-to-report-cct-chair-to-njc
Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by Realdeals(m): 8:43am On Nov 06, 2015
The lawyers should be reported to the body of benches and stripped of their SAN, they are a disgrace!

3 Likes

Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by philips70(m): 8:43am On Nov 06, 2015
chukwudi44:

Shut up man!! The stupid CCT chairman have been dragged before the NJC lets sit and watch events unfold!!

Your emotions do not govern the laws of Nigeria Mr man. Prepare to follow him to jail.

2 Likes

Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by Vatsyayana: 8:43am On Nov 06, 2015
I think the ruling of the tribunal is clear and simple...it states that the ACJA has taken care of uneccesary delay tactics of which JURISDICTION issues are a part of. The trial continues until the SC orders the tribunal to stop & if the tribunal arrives at a decision b4 the SC ruling, the judgement would simply be nullified. I don't blame the senior lawyers, they became SANs b4 the ACJA...let them go back to their library to do some research! & stop acting like carpenters in the temple of justice. quote author=chukwudi44 post=39729912]

Nope dear!! It is called rule of law!! The stupid CCT chairman should just wait for the supreme court to adjudicate on the matters of jurisdction!! What exactly is he in a hurry for?[/quote]

2 Likes

Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by paragon40(m): 8:45am On Nov 06, 2015
NJC is not for them alone (Saraki's lawyers)..they can go ahead and write anything, I thought S.A.N should know the law better with thier wealth of experience at the bar..."you cannot put something on nothing it will fall" you walked out on a court of competent jursdiction..are they saying that the Appeal court ruling is not binding on them...as if the Appeal court is not a court of superior record...if we are to follow judicial precedent wc says the decision of the higher court is binding on the lower...as far as I'm concerned there is no other judgement from any higher court other than the ruling of the Appeal wc is binding on the parties...supreme court nvr upturn judgememt now.....prior to the Administration of Criminal Justice Act 2015, the trial can go on...or the learned Adocates wants the judge to bend the law to their favour...I know u guys are trying hard to defend your client ,but a man has bn accused...and u don't want him to prove his innocence...the judiciary must not be intimidated...

3 Likes

Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by ajilegend(m): 8:45am On Nov 06, 2015
Saraki's lawyers are only been mischievous because ACJA says it all. So the Chairman is on point as regards the trial. I sense the lawyers know its a lost case that is why they are pulling out.

3 Likes

Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by Nobody: 8:46am On Nov 06, 2015
philips70:

Your emotions do not govern the laws of Nigeria Mr man. Prepare to follow him to jail.

Until then!! For now he is still our distinguished Senate President.
Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by Vatsyayana: 8:47am On Nov 06, 2015
Who is this chukwudi sef! Just keep quiet and let justice take its cause...

1 Like

Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by Nobody: 8:47am On Nov 06, 2015
wengerjay:
The legal team of the Senate president, Dr Bukola Saraki, has vowed to send a protest letter to the National Judicial Council (NJC) over the alleged biased conduct of the chair of the Code of Conduct Tribunal, Mr. Danladi Umar, in the trial of their client who is facing charges of false assets declaration in Abuja.

Yesterday, three Senior Advocates of Nigeria (SANs), Mr. Ahmed Raji, Alhaji Mahmoud Magagi and Saka Abimbola Isah, who led the legal team of the Senate president, all staged a walkout on the conduct tribunal chairman to protest alleged bias in the trial.

A source last night said that the legal team had resolved to report the tribal chairman to the NJC.

“You just wait and see the action we will take in the next few days. We cannot continue like this in this country. The judicial body has to intervene in this matter,” the source said.

The angry lawyers, accompanied by about 100 others, withdrew their services in the prosecution of Saraki by federal government, accusing the tribunal of open bias against the number three citizen and displaying judicial rascality in handling the case.

The anger of the lawyers arose when the tribunal chairman, Mr. Umar, ruled that he would not stay the trial in spite of Saraki’s pending appeal at the Supreme Court.

Magaji, who first withdrew his services in the trial, told the tribunal point-blank that going ahead with the prosecution amounted to daring and prejudicing the Supreme Court in the pending appeal case of the Senate president.

He told the chairman that, as a senior counsel in the bar and a minister in the temple of justice, he would not wish to be part of an illegality and an affront on the apex court.

Mr. Raji, who followed suit in withdrawing from the suit, told the tribunal chairman he was setting a bad precedent by sitting on the same issue at the same time with the Supreme Court.

Raji explained that apart from the law and practice, it was the tradition of respect that when the Supreme Court had been invited into a matter, the lower court will, as a matter of tradition, allow the apex court decide the matter first before taking over.

“In my capacity as a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, I have not seen where this kind of conduct will be exhibited against the apex court of the country. The action of this Code of Conduct Tribunal is an affront on the constitution and to the Supreme Court and, from my own side, I will not wish to be part of this act.

“I find it most impossible to sit down here and participate in a proceeding whose legality is being challenged at the Supreme Court.”

Earlier, both Magaji and Raji had asked the tribunal to stay proceedings pending the time the Supreme Court will make pronouncement in Saraki’s appeal in which he is challenging the legality of his trial.

They cited several authorities to buttress their arguments on the need for the tribunal to grant adjournment.

But in a ruling, the chairman of the tribunal dismissed the application for adjournment and agreed with the prosecution counsel, Mr. Rotimi Jacobs (SAN) that trial should go ahead in spite of the appeal at the Supreme Court.

The tribunal chairman held that the action of the defence was a ploy to delay the trial, adding that the arguments canvassed by Saraki’s lawyers had been overtaken by the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA) 2015 which, he said, gave no room for delay in trial.

“It is an obvious fact that where a party wants to delay trial, the party normally rushes to the higher court, as in this case, but the intendment of the ACJA has taken care of such attitude where criminal trials are unjustly delayed. We will not allow that; we are going ahead with the trial,” he had ruled.

The tribunal, however, ran into trouble when no lawyer showed up to defend Saraki yesterday and he was then asked whether he would defend himself.

But the Senate president told the tribunal that he was trained in the medical line and not in law, and that it would be unfair to ask him to defend himself in a terrain he knew nothing about.

He pleaded for one month to enable him persuade his lawyers to come back or for him to look for alternatives but the tribunal insisted that one month was too long.

The case was subsequently adjourned till November 19 for trial.

. http://leadership.ng/news/472444/walkout-on-code-of-conduct-tribunal-sarakis-lawyers-vow-to-report-cct-chair-to-njc

yeye people, as if the (NJC) is not watching tv?

4 Likes

Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by adanny01(m): 8:47am On Nov 06, 2015
cornoil:
It's still same judicial rascality, though Wike eventually lost at the supreme Court, the tribunal ought to wait for supreme Court to pass the judgement. There is nothing like time wasting in the court of Law, we always want to twist law for our own personal purpose. It happens everywhere.

Time is of essence since the tribunal had 90 days to give their ruling. If they waited till when the supreme court did, they would never meet with dead line.

Besides, am sure you have by now read the criminal justice act which allows for the sitting but for execution of the judgement.

2 Likes

Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by viktagorion: 8:47am On Nov 06, 2015
I feel highly embarrassed by the decision of counsel to walk out on a court of law that is duly constituted.

This is contempt of court in the extreme.

It is the height of professional irresponsibility for a lawyer to leave his client in the cold, in the dock, and walk out of court in anger.

I expect the body responsible for the discipline of lawyers to take this up and appropriate sanctions to the lawyers concerned.

Senior lawyers setting bad example.

8 Likes

Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by oluwa2015(f): 8:48am On Nov 06, 2015
OH
Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by babasolo(m): 8:51am On Nov 06, 2015
chukwudi44:

Nope dear!! It is called rule of law!! The stupid CCT chairman should just wait for the supreme court to adjudicate on the matters of jurisdction!! What exactly is he in a hurry for?
excuse me sir, did the supreme court give any date for hearing, but it ordered stay of proceedings rightthat is to frustrate a lower court of law..

1 Like

Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by paragon40(m): 8:54am On Nov 06, 2015
viktagorion:
I feel highly embarrassed by the decision of counsel to walk out on a court of law that is duly constituted.

This is contempt of court in the extreme.

It is the height of professional irresponsibility for a lawyer to leave his client in the cold, in the dock, and walk out of court in anger.

I expect the body responsible for the discipline of lawyers to take this up and appropriate sanctions to the lawyers concerned.

Senior lawyers setting bad example.
my brother I wonder the type of S.A.N saraki went to hire...that is rascality, and indiscipline...they have to be punsihed.NJC should do them that favour.

5 Likes

Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by Etinosajay(m): 9:00am On Nov 06, 2015
mbeheddy:
I'm always amased whenever I hear people say that the youths are future leaders of tomorrow. Let me ask, what age barrack is the youths categorised into? Because to me, the youth age is between 14yrs to 35yrs. The likes of Presidents M. Buhari, Aguiyi Ironsi, O. Obasanjo etc were in their 30s when they ruled this nation, so why are they still ruling in their old age? I think and feel they should give way for someone that is still youthful just like they were when they first ruled this nation. But, that can only be possible if we youths come together, put aside our ethnic differences, and then choose and vote for someone that is between age 35-45yrs. Its only when we do this that we can liberate ourselves from these greedy and aging people will have at the helm of affairs in our country. Our votes for this candidate will surely count because in terms of numbers, we youths our more that them (people from age 50 and above).
God bless Nigeria

First of all, it is age bracket not age barrack (maybe a typo).

Your reasoning up there is appalling. The only youth at the helm of affairs in the world I know, is Kim jung Un (a north Korean dictator).

All other democratically elected leaders are elders and older than 35 for a good reason. It takes years to gather experience and leadership skills.

If you are between 14 and 35years what experience do you have right now? Both in leadership, country management and law making?

Before you graduate from university, become a professional in your field and then turn to governance, you are well over 45 (if you started early)

So tell me how you want a youth without experience to take on governing or leading a country?

2 Likes

Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by paragon40(m): 9:01am On Nov 06, 2015
chukwudi44:

it is you that need to shut up...I wonder if you understand the content of this particular thread...Saraki's Lawyers ""Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC..."" not dragged ok ...still a probability.... undecided
Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by Rajiolaade: 9:03am On Nov 06, 2015
chukwudi44:

There is nothing like time been wasted under the law dear!!! Judicial regulations stipulates that the CC should suspend the trial until the supreme court finally adjudicates on the matter!!!An inferior court cannot br sitting side by side with the supreme court !! That is judicial rascality of the highest order!! I hope the NJC descends heavily on the CCT chair!! We cant have such compromised men manning our benches.
the view of NJC might differ from way u see, listen, Admin. Of criminal justice act 2015,has taken care of delay ploys,suppose there are 1000s cases b4 cct & they all run 4 injuctions when will justice prevail,infact lets commend d cct judge 4 his steadfastness.

2 Likes

Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by paragon40(m): 9:04am On Nov 06, 2015
Rajiolaade:
the view of NJC might differ from way u see, listen, Admin. Of criminal justice act 2015,has taken care of delay ploys,suppose there are 1000s cases b4 cct & they all run 4 injuctions when will justice prevail,infact lets commend d cct judge 4 his steadfastness.
God bless you

1 Like

Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by MrMcJay(m): 9:07am On Nov 06, 2015
chukwudi44:

Lmao.

See as you have disgraced yourself? You keep making ignorant assertions on legal matters and I just keep watching you.

I think you have more sense than Saraki's lawyers cos you come online for us to school you, while they don't.

Let me tell you, the same thing here happened in Wike's case and it is a function of the amended Administration of Criminal Justice Law. Get a copy, read it and shut your mouth.

4 Likes

Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by Brugo(m): 9:08am On Nov 06, 2015
adaweezy:

Judicial authorities and seniority usually make a lower court step aside while a matter is being appealed at a higher court but that as changed as only the reading of the judgement can be suspended according to S305 of the ACJA

Thank you. Don't mind that mischievous Chukwudi44 who has conveniently forgotten that this is a CRIMINAL case. grin very funny guy.

I won't be surprised if Saraki's lawyers get sanctioned by the NJC for their disgraceful conduct instead. That would be very proper.

2 Likes

Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by MrMcJay(m): 9:13am On Nov 06, 2015
Etinosajay:

First of all, it is age bracket not age barrack (maybe a typo).

Your reasoning up there is appalling. The only youth at the helm of affairs in the world I know, is Kim jung Un (a north Korean dictator).

All other democratically elected leaders are elders and older than 35 for a good reason. It takes years to gather experience and leadership skills.

If you are between 14 and 35years what experience do you have right now? Both in leadership, country management and law making?

Before you graduate from university, become a professional in your field and then turn to governance, you are well over 45 (if you started early)

So tell me how you want a youth without experience to take on governing or leading a country?

Don't mind the clown. If he wants to lead as a youth, he can go and be his family head in the village.

The leaders he is saying ruled Nigeria in their youth are responsible for the problems we face till today.
Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by mudolak(m): 9:19am On Nov 06, 2015
[quote author=chukwudi44 post=39729912]

Nope dear!! It is called rule of law!! The stupid CCT chairman should just wait for the supreme court to adjudicate on the matters of jurisdction!! What exactly is he in a hurry for?[/
Hmmmm supreme court never stop them if u follow saraki wnt supreme court to stop the trial nd supreme court adjourn it own
Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by Ozededes: 9:24am On Nov 06, 2015
You too can be a landlord this year, buy a plot of land at

Beachveiw Lekki (sea side) 3.5m/plot

Wood island ikorodu 900k/plot

Agbara 300k/plot

ENQUIRIES: 08059414703

www.pacismultiplex.com

34b isaac john street igbobi, Fadeyi, Lagos.

Re: Saraki's Lawyers Vow To Report CCT Chairman To NJC. by Ovamboland(m): 9:24am On Nov 06, 2015
chukwudi44:

Why can't Saraki and his lawyers too wait for the verdict of the CCT and appeal if they feel they did not get justice in it's decision.

It's a shame when the senate president is the one exploiting every possible loophole in our legal system, it smacks of lack of accountability from him and his shifty supporters

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Twitter User Compares Nigeria's Recession With Arsenal / May 30 Sit-At-Home: We Will Deal Decisively With Biafra Groups - Police / El-zakzaky: India’s Shi’ites To Bear Cost Of IMN Leader’s Treatment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.