Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,876 members, 7,828,115 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:24 AM

Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt (6657 Views)

2000-Year-Old Coffin Made Of Stone Discovered In Egypt, See Reactions (Photos) / Pics: Russian Plane Arrives U.S. To Evacuate 35 Expelled Diplomats & Families. / Russian Plane Crashes On Its Way To Syria. 9 Journalists, 83 Others Aboard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by Underground: 8:41am On Nov 06, 2015
I said it, these Charlie Hebdo guys are no good. Utterly despicable and sad.

Below is a post I made several months back when they mocked those Africans drowning in the Mediterranean.

Underground:
There has got to be a point where you draw the line between satire and disrespect for other people's culture and beliefs. As far as I am concerned this Charlie Hebdo guys have gone way too far. They have been reckless and insensitive with the garbage they have been churning out, shoved down our throats as satire. Below is what they posted just a few days before the Charlie Hebdo attacks.

They had it coming.

Above is a caricature which one of the folks who got murdered had just posted. The text reads: "Still no terrorist attacks in France - Wait, we have until the end of January to send you are best wishes". The crazy person shown in the drawing is packing a Kalashnikov and wearing an Afghan "Pakol" - the typical "crazy Muslim" in Charlie Hebdo's world

A Sick Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash in Egypt

French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo published two cartoons about the Russian passenger plane crash in Egypt. A Russian parliamentarian has called the cartoons an insult to the memory of the victims to Russia’s deadliest air accident in history, which took the lives of 224 people.

On Thursday, the magazine published two cartoons and a joke about the air crash over the Sinai Peninsula.

One of the pictures shows a jihadist of the Islamic State (IS) militant group and plane’s debris falling around him. The caption says “IS: Russian Aviation intensifies its bombing campaign.”

On the second drawing, a skull in sunglasses, lying on the ground amid the parts of the bodies and the plane’s debris, speaks about the dangers of flying with the Russian airline. The caption says: “The dangers of a Russian budget airline. I should have taken Air Cocaine.”

The cartoon apparently refers to what is known in France as the “Air Cocaine” affair, an incident with two Frenchmen accused of flying somewhat 680 kilos of cocaine from the Dominican Republic into France.

The cartoons have already been called blasphemy and insult to the memory of the victims of the horrible tragedy.

“I think it is blasphemy and a mockery of the memories of the victims of the tragedy. No mass media outlet should be allowed to do this, no matter which genre they specialize in,” said Igor Morozov, Russian parliamentarian and member of the Russian parliamentary Committee on Foreign Affairs.

"Laughing at the catastrophe that occurred in Sinai is unacceptable. Trying to be original, Charlie Hebdo just uses shock tactics. It forces one to recall the tragedy that occurred in January 2015. I think the journalists themselves provoke violence," said the member of the politician.

Charlie Hebdo is known for publishing controversial caricatures. On January 7, the Paris office of the magazine was attacked by Islamist gunmen who killed 12 people and wounded 11 after Charlie Hebdo published cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad.

Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova also commented on the cartoons on her page in Facebook with one single question: "Is anyone still 'Charlie?'"

The comment refers to the slogan 'JeSuisCharlie' (I am Charlie) and hashtag campaign that grew spontaneously after the attack in January. It was used to show empathy with those killed in the attack.

Earlier in September Maria commented on another cartoon of Charlie Hebdo on the death of a Syrian child.

"You know why I am not JeSuisCharlie?” she then wrote. “Because, to my mind, they deceive both us and themselves by affirming that there are no forbidden topics for their humor. If it were really so, then we could understand a cartoon of a dead Syrian child (not accept, but only understand)."

"But only under one condition – if the next day after the attack they would have published a cartoon of their dead colleagues."
Re: Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by Underground: 9:24am On Nov 06, 2015
These are the cartoons and they read:

1. Daesh: Russian aviation intensifies it bombardments

2. The dangers of low-cost Russian. I should have taken Air Cocaine

Re: Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by Nobody: 9:53am On Nov 06, 2015
Charlie Hebdo mocks everything. If you're the type to get displeased viewing their art then you're also the type to believe everything you read online.

The world is not that serious, you'd save a few headaches going offline and making real friends.

4 Likes

Re: Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by Underground: 10:29am On Nov 06, 2015
charix:
Charlie Hebdo mocks everything. If you're the type to get displeased viewing their art then you're also the type to believe everything you read online.

The world is not that serious, you'd save a few headaches going offline and making real friends.

Hmmm... Whilst I dont quite get your drift, I believe you are saying it's ok to joke about everything - nothing is beyond limits - as its all in the spirit of satire?

Second, how does one finding such "work" offensive translate to "believing everything you read online" and "making real friends" since you believe I have none?

Hmmmm...

1 Like

Re: Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by Nobody: 10:43am On Nov 06, 2015
Underground:

Hmmm... Whilst I dont quite get your drift, I believe you are saying it's ok to joke about everything - nothing is beyond limits - as its all in the spirit of satire?

Second, how does one finding such "work" offensive translate to "believing everything you read online" and "making real friends" since you believe I have known?

Hmmmm...
I'm saying freedom of speech and expression which they have in their constitution would always lead to stinging words and comments.
What you see there is one person/group's opinion on a matter, of course not everybody would agree with it. They may find a following(hence the reason people stood up in arm against their assault) but a lot of people would find it distasteful as you did.

There is no limit in satire, art and literature as it would get called self-censorship.

Finally, you finding something you stumbled upon online offensive means you're spending too much time on the internet - a lot of people do things online and spend a lot of time refining them with the sole aim of annoying others.

1 Like

Re: Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by garsul: 12:16pm On Nov 06, 2015
charix:

Can they mock the holocaust? Can they do a cartoon of Hitler murdering Jews? The world choose not to be serious when it best suits the west and their brainwashed followers

4 Likes

Re: Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by Nobody: 12:26pm On Nov 06, 2015
garsul:

Can they mock the holocaust? Can they do a cartoon of Hitler murdering Jews? The world choose not to be serious when it best suits the west and their brainwashed followers

Their problem, not mine or yours. If you feel bad about it then join F.N.N.(Fake Nigerian News) so you can create cartoons to mock zionist countries.

1 Like

Re: Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by Missy89(f): 1:41pm On Nov 06, 2015
garsul:

yes they have done a holocaust cartoon

1 Like

Re: Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by Underground: 2:15pm On Nov 06, 2015
charix:

Finally, you finding something you stumbled upon online offensive means you're spending too much time on the internet - a lot of people do things online and spend a lot of time refining them with the sole aim of annoying others.

Honestly you are cracking me up! You haven't, I presume, stumbled on anything on the Internet that you find offensive hence by your definition, you aren't spending too much time on the Internet right?
Or perhaps you have, so meaning you are indeed spending too much time in the Internet?
This theory of yours really is amusing to me. We could be unto something earth shattering here you know?

I think your s.illy & absurd theory needs to be tossed in the bin of du.mbsh*t things people that are trying to sound knowledgable and deep say.

What do you think?
Re: Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by Missy89(f): 2:38pm On Nov 06, 2015
Underground, Where do we draw the line between free speech and inappropriate and offensive speeches? . It is a grey area with valid arguments on both sides.

1 Like

Re: Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by Underground: 2:46pm On Nov 06, 2015
Missy89:
Underground, Where do we draw the line between free speech and inappropriate and offensive speeches? . It is a grey area with valid arguments on both sides.

I know it is but common, mocking the death of people from a potential terror attack? Common!

1 Like

Re: Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by Missy89(f): 3:18pm On Nov 06, 2015
Underground:

I know it is but common, mocking the death of people from a potential terror attack? Common!

true. I wonder why anyone would buy the mag
Re: Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by fr3do(m): 3:59pm On Nov 06, 2015
Why didn't the bloody bastards publish a cartoon of their slain colleagues?
Re: Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by Underground: 4:03pm On Nov 06, 2015
fr3do:
Why didn't the bloody bastards publish a cartoon of their slain colleagues?

Spot on!
Re: Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by Nobody: 4:23pm On Nov 06, 2015
Underground:

Honestly you are cracking me up! You haven't, I presume, stumbled on anything on the Internet that you find offensive hence by your definition, you aren't spending too much time on the Internet right?
Or perhaps you have, so meaning you are indeed spending too much time in the Internet?
This theory of yours really is amusing to me. We could be unto something earth shattering here you know?

I think your s.illy & absurd theory needs to be tossed in the bin of du.mbsh*t things people that are trying to sound knowledgable and deep say.

What do you think?
Stop trying to sound deep, you'd only confuse yourself while talking in circles. Yes, I've seen disturbing things on the internet but I don't babble over how they ruined my day. I shrug it off as man's evil nature at work. Remember the religion you practice speaks of evil too, yes?
Re: Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by Underground: 4:29pm On Nov 06, 2015
charix:

Stop trying to sound deep, you'd only confuse yourself while talking in circles. Yes, I've seen disturbing things on the internet but I don't babble over how they ruined my day. I shrug it off as man's evil nature at work. Remember the religion you practice speaks of evil too, yes?

Still you haven't confirmed your theory: getting offended easily = spending to much time on net.

Simple yes or no.

I am agnostic. wink
Re: Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by Nobody: 4:48pm On Nov 06, 2015
Underground:

Still you haven't confirmed your theory: getting offended easily = spending to much time on net.

Simple yes or no.

I am agnostic. wink

1. You're doing it now.
2. You want peer-reviewed sources? Give me half a day starting tomorrow.

Yes. Spending too much time on the internet blurs our perspective on reality - the internet becomes a second world to us where emotions escape unconsciously, thus why trolls exist; they believe people take the internet too serious. Multitudes of examples exist here where people's day gets destroyed by stringing together lines of text.
Re: Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by Underground: 5:40pm On Nov 06, 2015
charix:

1. You're doing it now.
2. You want peer-reviewed sources? Give me half a day starting tomorrow.

Yes. Spending too much time on the internet blurs our perspective on reality - the internet becomes a second world to us where emotions escape unconsciously, thus why trolls exist; they believe people take the internet too serious. Multitudes of examples exist here where people's day gets destroyed by stringing together lines of text.

No, I am not offended by you. By Charlie Hebdo though, I was. I actually tried to stir your emotions & get u offended --and then rubbish your theory-- by the toss in a bin comment. You, I must say excelled in the test.

Anyway, to me getting offended has nothing to do with how many hours spent on the Internet. Rather it's a reflection of your core beliefs or value system.
Re: Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by Appleyard(m): 10:06pm On Nov 06, 2015
Missy89:
What sort of valid argument can one humanely associate with free speech that doesn't have respect for the dead? Just wondering.
Re: Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by Missy89(f): 10:21pm On Nov 06, 2015
Appleyard:
What sort of valid argument can one humanely associate with free speech that doesn't have respect for the dead? Just wondering.

The valid argument is that it is not illegal but what you choose to do with your free speech is moral and there way no measure or control that since we all have different views
Re: Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by Appleyard(m): 1:58pm On Nov 07, 2015
Missy89:

The valid argument is that it is not illegal but what you choose to do with your free speech is moral and there way no measure or control that since we all have different views
I see. But i won't be surprise if that place goes up in flames again. Those guys are something else.
Re: Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by Nobody: 4:05pm On Nov 07, 2015
Underground:

Second, how does one finding such "work" offensive translate to "believing everything you read online" and "making real friends" since you believe I have none?

Hmmmm...

Nothing, and I mean nothing, is off limits for a satirist. The truth is, he isn't obligated to live up to anyone's moral standards. If you have delicate sensibilities, you aren't his audience.
Re: Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by Tom666: 5:06pm On Nov 07, 2015
My answer to Charlie Hebdo.

Re: Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by Nobody: 10:56am On Nov 08, 2015
Tom666:
My answer to Charlie Hebdo.

This doesn't even make sense. Ironically, it looks more like a mockery of Abrahamic religion, and something Hebdo himself might've drawn.

The first image seems to be a depiction of Catholicism, the worldwide funded cabal of child rapists. That second scene looks like the precursor to the famous Jesus quote, "Let him who is without sin among you be the first to cast the stone at her.”, supposedly right before Jesus stepped in and stole the thunder just as they were priming their sinful selves for a rock sluggin' good time. The third scene is obviously a reference to the 72 virgins Islam promises martyrs.
Re: Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by NairaMinted: 2:04pm On Nov 08, 2015
Missy89:

yes they have done a holocaust cartoon

Well, earlier this year, this happened....

French cartoonist Zeon arrested for anti-Zionist work
Brandon Martinez March 4, 2015 News

The French cartoonist Zeon was [arrested] Tuesday morning … by four police officers of the Brigade of Repression of Delinquency People (BRDP).

[At 7am] four police officers woke the cartoonist to take him before the judge to the High Court Instance of Paris. A complaint appears to have been filed by the BNVCA (National Bureau of Vigilance against Anti-Semitism).

The complaint seems to refer to the drawing – for which Zeon had yet been released last year by the 17th chamber – representing a balance and unbalanced weight of several historical crimes, but also for another drawing, which was not retained by the prosecutor at the trial, representing a Palestinian child stabbed by a Israel-shaped knife.

The judge has indicted the designer of incitement to racial, religious hatred, by speech, writing, picture or means of electronic communication. Zeon refused to answer his questions. He was set free in late morning.

Quick reminder on the BNVCA

The National Bureau of Vigilance against Racism and Anti-Semitism was founded by the Commissioner of Police Sammy Ghozlan in March 2002 with Union support Jewish bosses of France and the Word and Light Association (offshoot of the Simon Center Wiesenthal).

According BNVCA site itself, this organization has a unique community privilege to make complaints of “anti-Semitic aggression.”
Re: Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by NairaMinted: 2:14pm On Nov 08, 2015
And this as well....

Re: Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by Nobody: 1:58am On Nov 09, 2015
I doubt if there was any Charlie Hebdo's cartoon mocking the victims of 9/11attacks.
Re: Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by Nobody: 11:51am On Nov 10, 2015
Appleyard:
I see. But i won't be surprise if that place goes up in flames again. Those guys are something else.

That would be a travesty. Because a group of migrants killing people to intimidate the populace into behaving the way they want them to behave due to a cultural clash of perspectives on the limits of Free Speech/Expression is warranted? Excusable?

The idea is nothing short of preposterous.
Re: Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by Underground: 4:08am On Nov 14, 2015
Let's see if these s.illy Charlue Hebdo guys will make a caricature of the recent Paris attacks. Karma is a b*tch ain't it?

Your thoughts Charix wink
Re: Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by Nobody: 5:31am On Nov 14, 2015
Underground:
Let's see if these s.illy Charlue Hebdo guys will make a caricature of the recent Paris attacks. Karma is a b*tch ain't it?

Your thoughts Charix wink
They will.
Re: Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by bonechamberlain(m): 9:42am On Nov 14, 2015
I think Russia has just shown them that terrorist attacks are not limited only to Russians.
Re: Sick A Joke? Charlie Hebdo Mocks Russian Plane Crash In Egypt by NairaMinted: 2:15pm On Nov 14, 2015
charix:

They will.

Lol! No they won't!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Barak Obama 's Inaguration / Arafat's Body Exhumed For Poison Tests / Israel Prevents Christians In Gaza From Celebrating Christmas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.