Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,964 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:27 AM

What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? (15527 Views)

Are 'V6' Engines Stronger/More Durable Than I4 (4 Cylinder) Engines? / Why V8 Engines Are Better Than V6 Engines / V4 And V6 Engines - Why Nigerians are Running Away From V6? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by gentlegg(m): 11:11am On May 13, 2009
Please what actually is wrong with V6 engine cars. I went to Cotonou yesterday, saw a Honda Legend Car, V6 engine, factory AC, leather seat, full options and even test-drive d car myself and is very very sweet, but I didn't really like it being V6 engine because of what I use to hear about it. Then I called my friend who is a car dealer right there in Cotonou, told him about the car, but he said provided is V6 engine that I should not buy it, that V6 engines always take one to mechanics and so on, I almost pay in some money for the car immediately, because the price also is good, but because of what he said I didn't pay again, but out of all the cars I priced (within my budget) I still prefer that Honda Legend.

So is it advisable to buy V6 engine or will I regret it? Pls advise me.
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by yemstrad(f): 11:20am On May 13, 2009
I have never heard of any peculiar issue with V6 engines. By the way, how much in Cefa is the Honda Legend?
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by ugonna245(m): 6:50pm On May 13, 2009
This post is gone.
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by ElRazur: 8:31pm On May 13, 2009
I had a mitsubishi FTO and it comes with the MIVEC V6 engine. I must say having owned for about 2years, all cars must be legislated to come in V6. I personally believe that it strikes the balance between acceptable performance and economy!

I never had a single problem with mine, I love the sound of it and how it just picks up speeds. I love the smoothness of the engine - comes with 24 valves [or is it 16??]. One of the known quips people have with it is that changing plugs in them can be difficult as they are located in odd places - shape of engine - other than that, I really do not see any issue with them.
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by viperman: 8:50pm On May 13, 2009
There is nothing wrong with a V6 engine. Just service it regularly, and make sure it doesn't dry out of fuel while in use.
I actually use one now, it's ok, but annoys me because, it doesn't respond as fast as my former darling car cry, my AUDI A8 (V8 engine), i love V8 engines on sedans, kai!!!!
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by TouaregV8(m): 9:02pm On May 13, 2009
The V8 engine in Jeep is equally a joy to experience.
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by ElRazur: 9:10pm On May 13, 2009
viperman:

it's ok, but annoys me because, it doesn't respond as fast as my former darling car cry, my AUDI A8 (V8 engine), i love V8 engines on sedans, kai!!!!

V8 are suitable for off-roaders and sub-super cars in my opinion. V6 strikes the balance better for economy and performance lol
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by Nobody: 9:52pm On May 13, 2009
Nothing wrong with multiple cylinder engines.

My Audi RS4 is 4,2L V8 32V, and nice and smooth.
You also can't beat the giant slab of sheer torque a V6 / V8 provides, from even low speeds in higher gears.

I would never own an I4-engined car, the 4 cylinder engines lack character, and at high rpm, can become coarse.

The V6 / V8 engines are better balanced, hence they're silky smooth in operation.
And, an I4 engine is not necessarily more economical than a V.

1 Like

Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by viperman: 10:50pm On May 13, 2009
Siena:

Nothing wrong with multiple cylinder engines.

[size=18pt]My Audi[/size] RS4 is 4,2L V8 32V, and nice and smooth.
You also can't beat the giant slab of sheer torque a V6 / V8 provides, from even low speeds in gigher gears.

I would never own an I4-engined car, the 4 cylinder engines lack character, and at high rpm, can become coarse.

The V6 / V8 engines are better balanced, hence they're silky smooth in operation.
And, an I4 engine is not necessarily more economical than a V.

tell them siena, they don't know what they're missing, tell them!!!!!!!! grin grin grin
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by bigfather(m): 11:45pm On May 13, 2009
I have a camry V6XLE that i have been driving for the past 9mths and i can tell you that the car has never given me any course for regret. Low on fuel consumption and talking about smoothness, hmmmm na die ! . I LOVE MY TOY ! cool wink
There is nothing wrong with a V6 engine. It all boils down to how you maintain your ride.
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by gentlegg(m): 9:28am On May 14, 2009
I am sooo happy for all your contributions, all my fears about V6 engines are wiped away. Especially from some distinguished auto members of nairaland, like Siena & Viperman, I am more confident to buy the car now. Also I consulted a top mechanic around my area here, and he told me that V6 is incomparable to 4cycl and that it does not give any problem at all, as for fuel consumption, he said that even some 4cycl drink more fuel than V6 provided the engine is still very sound. But he only warned against the same thing viperman said, that I should NEVER allow the car to run out of fuel.

With all these I am making full payment for the car right away. Thanks all.
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by Emperoh(m): 11:44am On May 14, 2009
Terrible/bad mechanics will tell you not to buy V6
I see them as people wey no sabi work!! na dem sabi pass the oyibo wey build the car?
Why hasn't there been any recalls assuming these V6 engines are as problematic as touted to be?
Any mechanic who tell me as such, i consider as terrible mechanic
and avoid him like a plaque. Na so one of my guys want buy ford scorpio V6, na so dem discourage am.

I am just looking at my pocket considering fuel else, nothing stops me from owning a V6 car! Lets be truthful, it take more fuel.
But if you can fuel it, why not. . . . . dey return power, torque and performance. I just love the output.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-272225.0.html

Check the link above, i have refused to tell the guy i pre ordered this car for that it has arrived.
I am enjoying every bit of th cruise. . . . . you won't even hear any sound on accelaration. . . .  .with Rpm at 1.5, the speedo is already on 100mph
If e come reach 3rpm na im be say na 160mph!!! i just love the soundless accelaration!

There is another BMW 540i we i dey die for. The movement is outta this world but boy, e dey drink fuel like star grin
Eighty litres of gasoline just lasted for 5 days shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by lomaxbien(m): 2:16pm On May 14, 2009
man, , grab the V6 you wont regret it at all,its more balanced when on the road, i drive a V6 ride and my previous ride had a V6 engine too,i dont regret driving this monsters.
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by sultaan(m): 7:02pm On May 14, 2009
@Emperoh,

With a V8 you just entered another realm of motoring grin
Now try driving one of those expensive 4cyl 4runner sold by local dealers, then you can imagine how much value is missing for the price paid.
V6 is the middle engine for big cars(bigger than mid size).4 cyl is perfect for Accord, but overtasked by a car like Avalon/Legend.They may have similar dimension, but the performance expected from these type of cars require V6.

Difference is just 2 more spark [lugs, and fuel consumption is no more than 1/4 of a litre per 50km
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by LeMoor(m): 8:03pm On May 14, 2009
lomaxbien:

man, , grab the V6 you wont regret it at all,its more balanced when on the road, i drive a V6 ride and my previous ride had a V6 engine too,i dont regret driving this monsters.
Not trying to deride you or anyone, If you think a V6 is a monster to drive, then you need to try the V10 BMW M5.
THAT!!! is a monster,
That said, the V6, as somebody mentioned earlier strikes the balance btw power and fuel economy, Besides, it is becoming the unspoken industry standard.
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by Pittbaby(f): 8:06pm On May 14, 2009
Fuel economy is better on V4s and smaller engines, but the drive is better on a V6 anyday anytime .

I currently drive a V4 in pittsburgh (the city of hills ) you should hear how the engine groans on an incline , meanwhile a V6 will just purr and be like bring it on , grin
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by sultaan(m): 8:15pm On May 14, 2009
Pittbaby:

Fuel economy is better on V4s and smaller engines, but the drive is better on a V6 anyday anytime .

I currently drive a V4 in pittsburgh (the city of hills ) you should hear how the engine groans on an incline , meanwhile a V6 will just purr and be like bring it on , grin

I4(inline 4)
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by Pittbaby(f): 8:19pm On May 14, 2009
sultaan:

I4(inline 4)

Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by viperman: 8:42pm On May 14, 2009
gentlegg:

I am sooo happy for all your contributions, all my fears about V6 engines are wiped away. Especially from some distinguished auto members of nairaland, like Siena & Viperman, I am more confident to buy the car now. Also I consulted a top mechanic around my area here, and he told me that V6 is incomparable to 4cycl and that it does not give any problem at all, as for fuel consumption, he said that even some 4cycl drink more fuel than V6 provided the engine is still very sound. But he only warned against the same thing viperman said, that I should NEVER allow the car to run out of fuel.

With all these I am making full payment for the car right away. Thanks all.

Wait o!!!! Wait o!!!! Wait o!!!!
Which year model of legend are you talking about here?? shocked
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by Nobody: 8:46pm On May 14, 2009
Pittbaby:

Meaning your 4 cylinder is not in a "V" format.

It's in an "I", hence I4 / inline 4.
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by ElRazur: 9:10pm On May 14, 2009
Siena, what is your take on a straight six engine? I know the arrangement is slightly different from a V6, but I havent driven one before. smiley

PS
I am still awaiting your reply for the RvR/Space runner email. smiley
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by gentlegg(m): 12:33pm On May 15, 2009
@ Viperman

It is 95/96 Model. Why ask?
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by viperman: 2:05pm On May 15, 2009
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by gentlegg(m): 3:02pm On May 15, 2009
2nd one with coupe but the Honda logo design in the front is slightly different
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by Nobody: 3:10pm On May 15, 2009
Honestly the fuel consumption is not an issue in my case.I get good mpg on my V6 which could be well compared to a 4cylinder
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by viperman: 9:48pm On May 16, 2009
Gentle egg,

Don't buy that second one, i don't know anybody that has used that car without complaint.
And it's second hand value is wack.
Just an advice.
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by gentlegg(m): 5:46am On May 18, 2009
How many people do u know that have used the car with complain? And what's their complain?
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by switosman(m): 5:56pm On May 28, 2009
gentle be careful, if u must go v6 then go toyota. I drive a v6 honda engine rover salon. mine came with auto gear but its manual because when it got bad after a slight accident I cld not get a good replacment. now mechanics are finding it hard to repair my timing after my timing bearing got bad. my legend engine rover is a bumber on the road but where will u fly to. fuel consumption is better with manual than auto. well cars are all about luck then ur handling.
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by Nezan(m): 6:01pm On May 28, 2009
Is Honda BabyBoy V6 also good?
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by sultaan(m): 1:27pm On May 31, 2009
switosman:

gentle be careful, if u must go v6 then go toyota. I drive a v6 honda engine rover salon. mine came with auto gear but its manual because when it got bad after a slight accident I cld not get a good replacment. now mechanics are finding it hard to repair my timing after my timing bearing got bad. my legend engine rover is a bumber on the road but where will u fly to. fuel consumption is better with manual than auto. well cars are all about luck then ur handling.

Since you didn't have any problem before the slight accident, I may have to assume that Its your mechanic that is no doing a good job(accident has nothing to do with timing/bearing).

Older Toyotas V6 do have a sluge problem

http://www.autosafety.org/toyota-broadens-sludge-repair-program

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2002/04/04/toyota-sludge.htm
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by FowardEast(f): 3:33pm On Aug 07, 2009
V8, the best!!!
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by barry06(m): 1:03pm On Nov 05, 2009
V6 Engine is super. No gain saying much.

'drive and see for your self'.

i currently drive an audi 80 wagon V6 Engine, may goodness this car is super-fast,balanced and smooth on the highway(smooth -road like benin-warri/benin-asaba). its recommended for long distance travel, driving it within city/township could make it perform sub-optimally.

In terms of maintenace; i ve not touched the engine since i bought the car(2yrs on), all i ve done is service it once every 3 months whether the oil is due or not.However, i think the car consumes more fuel when driven around town, than on the highway.
Also, i think the engine has impact on the shock because i ve changed my twice-probably because of the engine weight.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photos: Dangers Of Potholes And How To Handle It / Do You Know 5 Must-check Parts When Buying A Used Car? / What Are The Basic Documents (papers) A Car Should Has?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.