Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,631 members, 7,827,351 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:54 AM

What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? (15547 Views)

Are 'V6' Engines Stronger/More Durable Than I4 (4 Cylinder) Engines? / Why V8 Engines Are Better Than V6 Engines / V4 And V6 Engines - Why Nigerians are Running Away From V6? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by miccodb(m): 4:59pm On Dec 12, 2011
the only problem i see with the V-engines is just a little more complications for most auto mechs. everything seems double due to the dual nature of the design. crankshaft, firing order more complicated and position of the main and big-end journal is 120 degress instead of conventional 180 degrees(crankshaft). so timing seems more difficult. working area is reduced due to cumbersome engine design. since most engine parts are duplicated then maintenance cost duplicates too and since we virtually have 2 seperate engine then there is also more failure point. in general our auto mechs dont have the technical know how to handle the V-engines for now. so they'll always runaway from it.
this is what i see as an issue but as for me i think a well and regularly maintained vehicle should serve you long enough before you begin to experince serious issues. i personalyy have the habit of delving into automobile models people complain most about and most of the time i never have issues because i hold maintenance with a very high esteem.
maintenance is the key to avoiding killer automobile issue

1 Like

Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by danadam(m): 12:33am On Jan 19, 2012
i currently drive Mercedes Benz E-CLASS (E-430) Year 2000 model which has a V8 engine. i started having sleepless nights after test driving the monsterous V8, all that was on my mind was how i was going to arrange the cash for payment. although the car is relatively old with a mileage of over 240,000 miles, i couldnt resist the roar and rapid accelaration of the machine. i did a road trip from kano-katon karfe (Kogi)- Lafia (Nasarawa state)-kano and it was awesome. i will neva buy any car with I4 engine, i dont even want a V6 because i scared i might not love it as much as i love my V8.
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by nissparts(m): 10:49am On Jan 19, 2012
miccodb:

the only problem i see with the V-engines is just a little more complications for most auto mechs. everything seems double due to the dual nature of the design. crankshaft, firing order more complicated and position of the main and big-end journal is 120 degress instead of conventional 180 degrees(crankshaft). so timing seems more difficult. working area is reduced due to cumbersome engine design. since most engine parts are duplicated then maintenance cost duplicates too and since we virtually have 2 seperate engine then there is also more failure point. in general our auto mechs dont have the technical know how to handle the V-engines for now. so they'll always runaway from it.
this is what i see as an issue but as for me i think a well and regularly maintained vehicle should serve you long enough before you begin to experince serious issues. i personalyy have the habit of delving into automobile models people complain most about and most of the time i never have issues because i hold maintenance with a very high esteem.
maintenance is the key to avoiding killer automobile issue
Very accurate response. However, it is not a matter of mechanics not being knowledgable enough about V6 engines, it is the fact that the fixes require considerable more effort than for a 4cylinder and who wants to do more work than necessary??
For example, timing chain replacement in a V6 Altima takes 3 days minimum. A job which can be done in 3 hours on the 4 cylinder engine.
A simple change of plugs on the same vehicle V6 can take 1-2 hours depending on proficiency and cannot be done by the owner unless he is advanced in auto maintenance while the 4cyl plug change can be done by anyone in 15mins.
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by pannyman(m): 11:36am On Jan 19, 2012
@ nissparts, please, please don't try to scare people off V6 cars. The timing belt on my V6 '99 Camry took only a few hours to replace, and the mechanic did a perfect job.
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by nissparts(m): 11:42am On Jan 19, 2012
Err, note that I said Nissan Altima specifically in my post.
Besides, a timing belt is COMPLETELY different from a timing chain set up so your analogy does not apply.
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by baaliyah(m): 12:29pm On Jan 19, 2012
I will never buy for a 4-cylinder car for personal use. v6 is stronger, heavier, faster and more reliable than l4. Ask any body that has driven a v6. The most important thing is proper maintenance.
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by Ikenna351(m): 1:15pm On Jan 19, 2012
@ nissparts,

Point of correction. If your V6 engine has timing chain, then, you have no business with the part of the engine where the timing chains are. Like my two cars that are all V6s, both have timing chains. Each bank of the cylinder head has a single timing chain, thus, two timing chains per engine, making the chains less stressful while in functions. Of all the reviews of Peugeot 505 V6 & 605 V6 i have read, no place was mentioned that anyone replaced its engine timing chains of both the cars (ZN3J & ZPJ), even the ones that have clocked 600,000 miles. Unless you are telling us that Nissan V6 timing chain engines are not reliable & durable like other brands. Timing chains in V6 engines outlive the cars lifespan. Prove me wrong. Worst case scenario, you re-adjust the chain, since they all have components installed to be used to adjust the chains.

V6 is the best in terms of performance & favorable fuel economy, unlike the V8, V10 & V12. The fuel consumption difference btw I4 & V6 is insignificant, and yet you get more driving pleasure and power from the V6. I have used both and realised how much i missed while i was in the I4 world. V6 world is a world i cant imagine myself leaving again.

Ikenna.
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by nissparts(m): 1:25pm On Jan 19, 2012
AGAIN,

I am specifically referring to Nissan V6 vehicles and yes they do have timing chain and tensioner issues as early as 25,000 miles on the clock.
There are references and experiences all over the net if you care to check.

Also note that this was simply an analogy to describe the difficulties experienced by mechs maintaining a V6 engine compared to its 4 cyl equivalent and thus comparing a 2 decade old 505 really does not come into play here.

I drive a V6 and nowhere have I said it's a bad thing to drive which should be obvious by the poster I quoted and agreed with.
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Jan 20, 2012
^^^ Your analogy is correct, Nissparts. V6/V8 are not for the faint-hearted, in terms of maintenance costs. For the enthusiast who will maintain their cars regardless of cost, and know the right places to go, they're a doddle.

Interesting about the Nissan Altima V6 timing chain replacement times. Three days??  Is that due to space constrainsts and poor access?  Because that's a heck of a long time. I've replaced the timing chain on a 2006 3,2 V6 Alfa Romeo 159. A nasty job, very little room between the lower chain chest and the chassis rails. Solution? I lowered the complete engine and transmission on the subframe, raised the bodyshell, and replaced the chain. Took me Nine hours in total.

Ikenna, timing chains do need maintenance too. True they don't snap as often as belts, but breakages are not uncommon. The chain guides are teflon-lined, and when they wear, the chain will wear through to the links very rapidly. Worn guides will be obvious to the trained ear as a rattle, more on overrun. Chains also stretch beyond the tensioner limits. Unlike belts, they give more warning before they let go, and as long as you're observant enough to know what the rattles are, you can catch it in time.

The V6 engines in both your Peugeot are chain-driven, but they also need periodic checking, and any worn parts should be replaced. Dirty oil will increase the wear rate, so regular oil changes are essential.
Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by Lexusgs430: 10:39pm On Jan 20, 2012
My Lexus Gs430 is a V8 32v but with the cost of Petrol in the UK now, I have resorted to driving my Toyota Paseo & Honda S2000 more. It pains me to have to SORN her, but I have to start saving money, rather than be a spend thrift !!!!!!!
But the thrill of a V8, is out of this world !!!!

1 Like

Re: What's Actually Wrong With V6 Engines? by cjpanta: 8:27am On May 17, 2012
I am specifically referring to Nissan V6 vehicles and yes they do have timing chain and tensioner issues as early as 25,000 miles on the clock.
There are references and experiences all over the net if you care to check

This post by nissparts really scared me as I intend to get a Nissan Altima 3.5 SL. If the timing chain is unreliable, I may change my mind

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

At What Age Should A Child Start Driving? / Drivers Should Be Observant Of These 10 Common Car Issues / My Peugeot 505 V6 New XN1A Engine Conversion Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.