Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,214 members, 7,829,351 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:05 AM

How British Mps Eat Tax Payers Money, This One Is Super Smart Corruption. - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / How British Mps Eat Tax Payers Money, This One Is Super Smart Corruption. (1957 Views)

How British and American Citizens Talked This Western Propaganda / Busted: Kiev Mps Try To Fool US Senator With ‘proof’ Of Russian Tanks In Ukraine / Biafran Son/Daughter Won In The British Election & Become Parliamentary MPs! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How British Mps Eat Tax Payers Money, This One Is Super Smart Corruption. by JustGood(m): 1:47pm On May 21, 2009
Thor:

The comparison is stupid as no crimes have been committed in the UK. They were just taking liberties with the expense system, not stealing money.

It is principle and morals on trial that during the current worldwide downturn whether it was morally right to claim certain expenses.

You can not compare the UK with Nigeria lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Even homeless Africans living in the UK have a better future than most Nigerians undecided

You know as well as I do that the biggest problem with Nigeria is that the British are not running the country angry

Crimes have been committed by MPs. Perhaps you dont know that the failure to pay appropriate taxes constitutes an offence and that fraudulently making claims that are false also constitute an offence.

The difference between UK politicians and Nigerian politicians is that the UK has some order which makes certain things easy to change whereas Nigeria is so complex that things are more difficult to change, coupled with the level of poverty and ignorance of the populace.

This sends a signal to me that you are posting out of hatred for Nigeria and ALL things Nigeria.

What exactly does the propects of people living in UK and Nigeria got to do with whether or not politicians are corrupt?

You revealed your true colour when you stated that the problem with Nigeria is that the British are not running the country. . . is your name on the recently publicised list of BNP members?
Re: How British Mps Eat Tax Payers Money, This One Is Super Smart Corruption. by Thor(m): 2:39pm On May 21, 2009
If Nigerians can not run Nigeria then why not the British?

I am sure allot of people would be better off if only they can swallow their pride a little sad

I am sure that for the sake of a green and white flag that many people would trade that for a well paid job, good housing, education, food and public safety lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: How British Mps Eat Tax Payers Money, This One Is Super Smart Corruption. by Kobojunkie: 4:16pm On May 21, 2009
Not all MPs committed crimes here. What they did was deemed immoral but not CRIMINAL since it was not against the law in the UK to claim most of what was claimed.
Re: How British Mps Eat Tax Payers Money, This One Is Super Smart Corruption. by Bastage: 4:42pm On May 21, 2009
Thor:

The comparison is stupid as no crimes have been committed in the UK. They were just taking liberties with the expense system, not stealing money.

When you make the law, you decide what is a crime and what is not. The UK Parliament is just smarter than it's Naija counterpart in that respect. If one were to take a moral stance on this issue, I don't see how it can be viewed in any other way but as theft.

It is principle and morals on trial that during the current worldwide downturn whether it was morally right to claim certain expenses.

I don't agree. Although the global downturn probably has jaded the view of the issue somewhat, I feel sure people would feel just as outraged if this issue were to occur in a time of plenty. The UK people pride themselves on their Mother of All Parliaments being incorruptable. This is clearly not the case and the reaction would probably be the same whatever the economic climate.

You can not compare the UK with Nigeria  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

You can compare anything with anything else. It's how you compare it that's important.

Even homeless Africans living in the UK have a better future than most Nigerians  undecided

I don't really dispute that. But it's not really the issue here.

You know as well as I do that the biggest problem with Nigeria is that the British are not running the country angry

Now? I doubt that they would do a much better job. They would be skimming off whatever they could get. They'd just be a lot smarter on how they go about it.
Re: How British Mps Eat Tax Payers Money, This One Is Super Smart Corruption. by JustGood(m): 5:24pm On May 21, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Not all MPs committed crimes here. What they did was deemed immoral but not CRIMINAL since it was not against the law in the UK to claim most of what was claimed.

You may find, if you read well, that what some of them did was criminal. Is it not criminal for a citizen to evade tax? Is it not criminal to make false declarations for monetary gain?
Re: How British Mps Eat Tax Payers Money, This One Is Super Smart Corruption. by Thor(m): 5:51pm On May 21, 2009
There were no false declarations so I do not understand what you are talking about?

There is a big difference between tax evasion and tax avoidance angry

Just because Nigeria is a rotten failed state, you can not tar the UK with the same brush  lipsrsealed
Re: How British Mps Eat Tax Payers Money, This One Is Super Smart Corruption. by Bastage: 7:05pm On May 21, 2009
Thor:

Just because Nigeria is a rotten failed state, you can not tar the UK with the same brush  lipsrsealed

It's not a case of Nigeria is worse or better. The subject is regarding the UK parliament and the trough they have been sticking their nose in.
Nigeria's problems have nothing to do with the UK.
But the similarity in corruption is there however you would like to under-state it.

As for not making false declarations? I believe that you'll find some of the MPs in question have done just that.

I must admit, I am suprised at your attitude. You're just about the only person who lives in the UK who would defend their actions. The vast majority of the populace is damning them with utter condemnation.
Re: How British Mps Eat Tax Payers Money, This One Is Super Smart Corruption. by Thor(m): 7:18pm On May 21, 2009
The system is wrong. In the UK ministers get paid a stupidly low wage and then have the perks. They should just pay them a decent wage and be done with it other than travel expenses etc.
Re: How British Mps Eat Tax Payers Money, This One Is Super Smart Corruption. by Bastage: 7:45pm On May 21, 2009
Agreed.
But don't forget that the system was created by themselves. Therefore the argument that the MPs are using by blaming the system is a hollow one.

They had chances to take pay rises but have turned them down because they knew that the expenses system was easier to milk.
Re: How British Mps Eat Tax Payers Money, This One Is Super Smart Corruption. by Kobojunkie: 8:44pm On May 21, 2009
JustGood:

You may find, if you read well, that what some of them did was criminal. Is it not criminal for a citizen to evade tax? Is it not criminal to make false declarations for monetary gain?

Kobojunkie:

[size=13pt]Not all MPs[/size] committed crimes here. What they did was deemed immoral but not CRIMINAL since it was not against the law in the UK to claim most of what was claimed.
Re: How British Mps Eat Tax Payers Money, This One Is Super Smart Corruption. by hoeyeadoe: 10:45pm On May 21, 2009
Call it super smart corruption if you like.

I'm still finding it difficult to understand why a random citizen would like to serve his country for 2 terms (8yrs) given the level of stress and work that is required. I think one of the incentives keeping these politicians on their feet is this one. Personally, I know it's a whole lot of work for some, and a child's play for others, depending on how prominent they are.

Has any1 ever wondered why some of these pp resign? you dont think it's all about ministerial responsibility and collective cabinet responsibility, it is wahala,

This is the kind that their counterparts in 9ja would kill for, think!

Talking about tax payers money, Ask the abled bodies on disability allowance.

I still think this kinda incentives should be given to politicians to discourage corruption of the highest level, An exemption that allows dem work wiv all vigour.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Hypocrisy That Exuded From Black Voters In The Elections Concerning Obama / Trump’s Face, Israeli Flags Spread On Casket In Iran Rally / Berlusconi Jailed For Four Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.