Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,473 members, 7,812,463 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:48 PM

the Journey of Android OS Till Date. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / the Journey of Android OS Till Date. (926 Views)

6 Symptoms Of Android OS Infection / Progression Of Android From Cupcake To Marshmallow 2008 - 2016 / List Of Android Smartphones That Will Receive Android 6.0 Marshmallow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

the Journey of Android OS Till Date. by Joel3(m): 7:28pm On Nov 07, 2015
Android's releases are named after sweets or dessert items (except for the first and second releases):
1.1 - Alpha
1.2 - Beta
1.5 - Cupcake
1.6 - Donut
2.0.x & 2.1 - Eclair
2.2.x - Frozen Yogurt ("Froyo"wink
2.3.x - Ginger Bread (Minor UI Tweak)
3.x.x - Honeycomb (Major UI revamp)
4.0.x - Ice Cream Sandwich (Minor UI Tweak)
4.1.x, 4.2.x & 4.3.x - Jelly Bean
4.4.4 - KitKat
5.0.1 & 5.1.1 - Lollipop (Major UI revamp)
6.0 - Marshmallow
Re: the Journey of Android OS Till Date. by Joel3(m): 7:36pm On Nov 07, 2015
Just a little more than a year ago, in May 2012, Android’s [NASDAQ:GOOG] market share surpassed that of Apple iOs [NASDAQ:AAPL] for the first time. Back then, Apple's share of the world market was 22.95 percent, and Android’s 23.81 percent -- a difference of less than 1 percent, according to data tracked by
StatCounter .
Today, Android runs on 43 percent of all the world’s smartphones while Apple iOS still runs on one in five smartphones.
Of the 227 countries for which data is tracked by StatCounter, Android was the market leader in 135 countries, whereas Apple was the market leader in only 38 countries, including the U.S.
Android’s biggest advantage is that it isn’t tied to a single device manufacturer or relatively limited price point, which is why the Google-owned OS is very popular in countries with low per-capita income. Android isn’t losing any non-price-sensitive consumers either, because companies like Samsung and HTC produce high-end Android-powered phones featuring the newest technology.
The iOS, which runs only on Apple devices, is not only tied to a device but a relatively high price range. Most of the 38 countries in which iOS is popular are developed countries with a large number of consumers with high disposable incomes.
Re: the Journey of Android OS Till Date. by encryptjay(m): 8:36pm On Nov 07, 2015
Nice one, Android being a free OS makes it stand out in the smart phone world. The Android version names makes it more enticing.
They are not looking back...

Android for life.
Re: the Journey of Android OS Till Date. by Nobody: 9:30pm On Nov 07, 2015
Joel3:
Just a little more than a year ago, in May 2012, Android’s [NASDAQ:GOOG] market share surpassed that of Apple iOs [NASDAQ:AAPL] for the first time. Back then, Apple's share of the world market was 22.95 percent, and Android’s 23.81 percent -- a difference of less than 1 percent, according to data tracked by
StatCounter .
Today, Android runs on 43 percent of all the world’s smartphones while Apple iOS still runs on one in five smartphones.
Android is ~83% market share, not 43%.
Re: the Journey of Android OS Till Date. by bigtt76(f): 11:54pm On Nov 07, 2015
Android helped give Chinese phones a more prominent identity rather than the fake iOS or Symbian they were used to doing back then.

Now we got names like Xiaomi, Redmi, Infinix amongst others. Back then it was eyePhone, Nok1a etc grin

2 Likes

Re: the Journey of Android OS Till Date. by Nobody: 12:13am On Nov 08, 2015
bigtt76:
Android helped give Chinese phones a more prominent identity rather than the fake iOS or Symbian they were used to doing back then.

Now we got names like Xiaomi, Redmi, Infinix amongst others. Back then it was eyePhone, Nok1a etc grin
I agree with you that android helped the Chinese phone makers, but I must say they also improved greatly in the quality of their hardware, gone are the days when you could hear a China phone ring from three miles away.
Re: the Journey of Android OS Till Date. by bigtt76(f): 12:18am On Nov 08, 2015
Lol very true but some still like that o grin make my Infinix Hot2 alert you today of incoming SMS you go bow grin

imas:

I agree with you that android helped the Chinese phone makers, but I must say they also improved greatly in the quality of their hardware, gone are the days when you could hear a China phone ring from three miles away.
Re: the Journey of Android OS Till Date. by Nobody: 12:21am On Nov 08, 2015
bigtt76:
Lol very true but some still like that o grin make my Infinix Hot2 alert you today of incoming SMS you go bow grin

I want to buy the phone(hot2) next week, but am worried about the battery, in your opinion is it okay?
Re: the Journey of Android OS Till Date. by bigtt76(f): 12:54am On Nov 08, 2015
Battery performance in any new mobile phone is subject to how much time and activities being performed on it by the owner.

Most people tend to babysit their phones for the first few days hence battery don't last but once they start getting weaned off it, it lasts much longer.

Hot 2 battery performance not bad. I'm a heavy but not a gaming user. I get at least 12 hours of use from it with several features of needed turned off. It could do same for you too.

Meanwhile there's a 3000mAH battery and case for Hot2 on Jumia. It's 2200 Naira. Original battery on Hot2 is rated 2200mAH so I believe with this new one it would last much longer.

imas:

I want to buy the phone(hot2) next week, but am worried about the battery, in your opinion is it okay?

2 Likes

Re: the Journey of Android OS Till Date. by Nobody: 4:13am On Nov 08, 2015
@ bigtt76 thanks, I'll buy it and the 3000mAh battery.
Re: the Journey of Android OS Till Date. by Warlord3000(m): 6:40am On Nov 08, 2015
What a journey... Interesting one at that
Re: the Journey of Android OS Till Date. by Joel3(m): 7:12am On Nov 08, 2015
has anyone noticed its going down alphabetically.. A.B.C.D.E.F.G.H.I.J.K.L.M.

One can easily predict the next name for version 7
Re: the Journey of Android OS Till Date. by Joel3(m): 7:14am On Nov 08, 2015
Re: the Journey of Android OS Till Date. by Mckandre(m): 8:15am On Nov 08, 2015
Joel3:
has anyone noticed its going down alphabetically.. A.B.C.D.E.F.G.H M.I.J.K.M.

One can easily predict the next name for version 7
nice one, my guess the next one will be nugget, nutterbutter or Nectarine
Re: the Journey of Android OS Till Date. by tmanis(m): 11:54am On Nov 08, 2015
Mckandre:
nice one, my guess the next one will be nugget, nutterbutter or Nectarine
probably nuttela

1 Like

Re: the Journey of Android OS Till Date. by Hysmady(m): 7:31pm On Nov 08, 2015
Android may probably die out at android Z cheesy

(1) (Reply)

I Want To Buy An Android Phone / Samsung S3 Battery / How To Saving Data Bundle On Android Phones With Opera Max

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.