Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,774 members, 7,817,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:34 AM

Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone (21948 Views)

Trending Android Smartphone Features To Lookout For Before Buying A Phone / Itel P51: Unboxing My New Android Phone / Blackberry Confirms The Rumor That It Is Working On An Android Phone. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone by Cirphrank(m): 2:22am On Nov 08, 2015
In this article I'll be highlighting two things that you should consider before purchasing an Android phone. 'Let's talk the talk'.

-RAM
Random Access Memory, it is a common term but many do not really understand its concept. Even for old model type of phones such as those that ran on the Symbian OS, RAM is a thing of essential value as it has its crucial use in a phone mostly Androids for which it is indispensable for the now and can't be overlooked.

I'm not about to hit you with geeky terms that will only confuse your understanding about RAM already, but let's put it this way: LOW RAM, SLOW MOVEMENTS.

When that Android you intend to buy comes with attractive features but has has low ram, those features are as useless as 10kb of internet surfing data is to instagram. RAM is temporary memory to which every app on your phone has access, they don't get to reside there or save their data there permanently but they can come have a stay there from time to time. Let's make out some instance. If you're editing a picture on your phone or you are making a video or an audio record, you are creating some data which is being handled by an app, however the app needs a something to lean on to run effectively and that's where our dear RAM comes in, it will take up the responsibility of that for the app until the app is through with the process and saves the data generated on the phone' ROM or Micro Storage Disk and closes. So the more the data being handled by the app the more the RAM needed, Get it? So RAM which helps the phone's movement has to come in a considerably okay quantity else movement gets hiccups easily 'cos if you buy that 'lovely' phone with like 512MB RAM, let me put it to you that once you open up to like 3 apps with even moderate size and they get to work, you'll start getting slow response from the device in no time, if you've been wondering why that techno M3 of yours or that Alcatel One touch you own runs only a bit faster than tortoise, I believe now you know. With low ram even if that your phone was to come with Android 6.0 marshmallow, 5.5" screen, and it has 256 0r 512 MB RAM, you'll eventually hate it. It will limit your multitasking options unbearably, and you might be wondering how can 3 quite mid sized app just eat up a whole 512MB RAM, answer is: If the phone is said to come with that RAM size you'll probably have only 256-340 at your disposal as the rest will be taking toll of by system apps, those apps that aren't for your use but needed to keep the phone's system running. The least RAM size I'd advice you go for is 1GB, when system apps are done taking their share, you'd be having nothing less than about 700MB at your disposal and that's pretty okay for multitasking though not GREAT.
Not too clear? Read this

The second thing one should not miss looking out for is the Version of Android OS the phone runs on. I'm not going to be writing much like I did on RAM on this.

-Android Operating System
Just like iPhones have their iOS which they run on so has Android phones. Version upgrades keep coming, and the old one is never better than the new one, they do make sure of that. Below is the list of android versions that has come into existence since they started getting confectionery codenames;

Donut (1.6)
Eclair (2.0–2.1)
Froyo (2.2–2.2.3)
Gingerbread (2.3–2.3.7)
Honeycomb (3.0–3.2.6) [a]
Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0–4.0.4)
Jelly Bean (4.1–4.3.1)
KitKat (4.4–4.4.4, 4.4W–4.4W.2)
Lollipop (5.0–5.1.1)
Marshmallow (6.0)

The reason why I brought you the list is for you to take a very good look at the strata, if you go for Ice Cream Sandwich don't expect to enjoy all those features you've seen that attracted you to the Android brand. The least Version I'd advice you to go for is KitKat, when a new version comes it comes with cool features and will be able to run the latest apps, most apps that will be built from then hence forth will be compatible only with the latest version and maybe the immediately preceding one or two and that's it. So you sure won't want to end up with a good looking phone running a medieval OS. I believe I've made things lucid on that.

However, the above two are not the only things that are important for one to look out for, if you've got the legal tender, considerably much of it, it will be better you go for that with at least 16GB ROM or 8 but not 4, its processor should at least be dual core with both clocking at 1.2GHz, might be 1GHz though. But more processors means battery drains faster, 8MP camera with quality resolution is best for phones, greater MP is literally useless else you intend to print pics you take with the phones in large forms. And a host of others, permit me to give my fingers some rest now. Happy Droiding.
#Share

Cc : lalasticlala

37 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone by stevealibi: 3:47am On Nov 08, 2015
Hehehehe no need am using a bb porch grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone by Warlord3000(m): 6:42am On Nov 08, 2015
Nice writeup

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone by Emeka71(m): 6:55am On Nov 08, 2015
But can't the RAM be increased?
Re: Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone by hadedayor10(m): 9:23am On Nov 08, 2015
Good write up.......low Ram on smartphones can be frustrating

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone by Joel3(m): 10:33am On Nov 08, 2015
the list is not complete without battery. I think battery mah should come first for we in this part of the world.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone by Nobody: 11:53am On Nov 08, 2015
Joel3:
the list is not complete without battery. I think battery mah should come first for we in this part of the world.
I concour. battery very important

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone by kaayposh: 11:57am On Nov 08, 2015
Good
Re: Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone by Chrisx1x(m): 12:21pm On Nov 08, 2015
Very education

1 Like

Re: Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone by Chrisx1x(m): 12:21pm On Nov 08, 2015
Very educating
Re: Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone by olahero(m): 2:56pm On Nov 08, 2015
RAM / Android Version / Screen size and / Battery.

3 Likes

Re: Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone by Cirphrank(m): 5:42pm On Nov 08, 2015
Emeka71:
But can't the RAM be increased?
It can, after due processes, which will start with you rooting the phone.
Re: Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone by Cirphrank(m): 5:43pm On Nov 08, 2015
Chrisx1x:
Very educating
Thanks.
Re: Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone by Cirphrank(m): 5:59pm On Nov 08, 2015
Joel3:
Not too many offer high capacity battery and would be of pocket loving price but with management you can make even a 1500mAh battery last pretty well. Using 2g which is quite fast with good network, reducing screen brightness and enabling power saving mode will make will help for instance itel it1406 charged up to 96% last about seven hours of near heavy use, that's quite okay in my view.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone by Youngzedd(m): 6:04pm On Nov 08, 2015
Chipset and ROM should be the main koko.

Forget paper spec.
Re: Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone by Cirphrank(m): 6:18pm On Nov 08, 2015
hadedayor10:
Good write up.......low Ram on smartphones can be frustrating

Yes. Thanks for the compliment.
Re: Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone by Gbadebo01(m): 6:22pm On Nov 08, 2015
stevealibi:
Hehehehe no need am using a bb porch grin grin
U no even sabi the spelling
u sure say no be 4 ur dream u dey use am?

2 Likes

Re: Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone by Cirphrank(m): 6:57pm On Nov 08, 2015
Youngzedd:
Chipset and ROM should be the main koko.

Forget paper spec.

ROM ROM over RAM? are you kidding me? dude the least ROM can't even hold a phone with good RAM down to bad performance! ROMs for smartphones always come with ability to be expanded to at least 32GB most times. So what's your contempt with that?

And chipset?
First off, are you a Heavy Gamer?
If yes then I understand your plight.
No? then you are just after what will be of almost no use to you. Even old form of chipset can satisfy an average phone user! Even a single core processor clocking at 1GHz can please many out there. Do you know you might use a phone with dual core processors clocking at 1GHz and another with octa core processor clocking at 1.3GHz for six months and observe that non runs app faster than the other? OEMs have been playing on the ignorance of many, filling devices with multi processors and thus slamming high prices on them meanwhile most app out there available for use can only run itself on a single processor at a time, apps that can spread itself to run on multi processors at a time are rare and not even needed by many. The highest for of processor I'd prefer in a phone is quad core and it is not even really necessary! Know why most new phones get so hot easily and battery tend to drain fastly? e.g the infinix Zero 2, it's 'cos it has more processors to handle! and that is a battery killing task!
Higher GPU is same, I think I read even iPhone 6s plus had similar prob with a type of the model. Bottomline bro is, high chipset not needed if you ain't an heavy gamer with regular power supply in Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone by Joel3(m): 7:34pm On Nov 08, 2015
I do not agree with you. my tab is 3000mah. and the battery don't last even upto 5hours on 2g usages. I am very economical to with power. without power you can't even your phone.

Cirphrank:

Not too many offer high capacity battery and would be of pocket loving price but with management you can make even a 1500mAh battery last pretty well. Using 2g which is quite fast with good network, reducing screen brightness and enabling power saving mode will make will help for instance itel it1406 charged up to 96% last about seven hours of near heavy use, that's quite okay in my view.

Re: Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone by Youngzedd(m): 7:41pm On Nov 08, 2015
Cirphrank:

ROM ROM over RAM? are you kidding me? dude the least ROM can't even hold a phone with good RAM down to bad performance! ROMs for smartphones always come with ability to be expanded to at least 32GB most times. So what's your contempt with that?

And chipset?
First off, are you a Heavy Gamer?
If yes then I understand your plight.
No? then you are just after what will be of almost no use to you. Even old form of chipset can satisfy an average phone user! Even a single core processor clocking at 1GHz can please many out there. Do you know you might use a phone with dual core processors clocking at 1GHz and another with octa core processor clocking at 1.3GHz for six months and observe that non runs app faster than the other? OEMs have been playing on the ignorance of many, filling devices with multi processors and thus slamming high prices on them meanwhile most app out there available for use can only run itself on a single processor at a time, apps that can spread itself to run on multi processors at a time are rare and not even needed by many. The highest for of processor I'd prefer in a phone is quad core and it is not even really necessary! Know why most new phones get so hot easily and battery tend to drain fastly? e.g the infinix Zero 2, it's 'cos it has more processors to handle! and that is a battery killing task!
Higher GPU is same, I think I read even iPhone 6s plus had similar prob with a type of the model. Bottomline bro is, high chipset not needed if you ain't an heavy gamer with regular power supply in Nigeria!

Point of correction, I am not a dude.

It seems you haven't use high end Chipset and well optimised ROM. Get a phone with Snapdragon 808 and above with MIUI 6 or 7 or Flyme OS come back and drop your testimony.

If you can get a phone with high end Chipset, 1 or 2GB RAM, well optimised ROM and 2500 - 3000mAh you're good to go. Mind you new Chipset are always designed to consume less power than old ones.

A phone with 4GB ram and those Chipset Tecno do use will still lag when you multi task it.

My phone running MIUI 7 Kit kat gives me almost same features with Lollipop and also ones not available in stock Lollipop.

To me, I consider mainly Chipset and ROM before other things.

Too sad, many do not know the function of Chipset and ROM, what they're after is big ram and battery.

Last bullet, what I need a superb performance.

#Xiaomi
#MIUI

2 Likes

Re: Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone by Cirphrank(m): 7:50pm On Nov 08, 2015
Joel3:
I do not agree with you. my tab is 3000mah. and the battery don't last even upto 5hours on 2g usages. I am very economical to with power. without power you can't even your phone.

Brother, that which I said is a pure truth/fact. I've done it before.
Re: Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone by Kelvin0(m): 8:54pm On Nov 08, 2015
If you are the type that loves taking pictures then u might wanna check for the camera size! cool i select my devices based on this three criterion
Re: Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone by Nobody: 8:56pm On Nov 08, 2015
Will shopping Malls allow us to open the pack, put on the phone and run a check on it. I dnt believe in that specification tags again after all we count our money after withdrawing from ATMs
Re: Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone by UltimateDaniel(m): 8:58pm On Nov 08, 2015
Hello,
Belove are you bored or feel you need to read messages online. Read OPEN HEAVENS DAILY DEVOTIONS by Pastor E.A ADEBOYE. He is a Minister annoited by GOD. Visit now: www.openheavensdaily.com HAVE A LOVELY 5 WORKING DAYS! DON'T FORGET TO SHARE WITH YOUR FRIENDS. GOD BLESS YOU.
Re: Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone by missKiffy(f): 8:58pm On Nov 08, 2015
Chrisx1x:
Very education
You say smiley
Re: Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone by kulobyno: 8:59pm On Nov 08, 2015
A good one more captivating than celebrity trash that has been enjoying field days on Nairaland.
Re: Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone by Truthhurtss: 9:04pm On Nov 08, 2015
Youngzedd:

It seems you haven't use high end Chipset and well optimised ROM. Get a phone with Snapdragon 808 and above with MIUI 6 or 7 or Flyme OS come back and drop your testimony.

If you can get a phone with high end Chipset, 1 or 2GB RAM, well optimised ROM and 2500 - 3000mAh you're good to go. Mind you new Chipset are always designed to consume less power than old ones.

A phone with 4GB ram and those Chipset Tecno do use will still lag when you multi task it.

My phone running MIUI 7 Kit kat gives me almost same features with Lollipop and also ones not available in stock Lollipop.

Too sad, many do not know the function of Chipset and ROM, what they're after is big ram and battery.

#Xiaomi
#MIUI
Re: Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone by ChudyJ: 9:09pm On Nov 08, 2015
Youngzedd:

#Xiaomi
#MIUI
hmmm, u consider chipset and rom. I undastnd ur nid for a high end chipset. But sayin u can use a fone wit 1gb of ram is jst overkill, u obviously dnt multitask. And for all ur love for rom, its easily expandable in most fones some up to 128gb. One more tin a low end chipset is nt necessarily d cause of lags and stutters, d ram is also a major contributing factor. App r beginning to get heavier, d heavier de becom d more d ram space nided to rum dis apps increase. De r some games a 1gb ram and evn a 2gb ram wont run and evn if de run dem, de ll be massive lags.
Re: Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone by MAXRICHADO: 9:12pm On Nov 08, 2015
The write -up is quite insightful, more grace bro.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Infinix Smart 2/2 Pro Unveiling: Full Specifications And Features / If You Own A Spoilt Laptop Battery, Come In / Tecno L9plus Is Total Rubbish, Here Are My Observations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.