Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,768 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:29 AM

The Top 10 Largest Churches In The World - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Top 10 Largest Churches In The World (3583 Views)

Daddy Freeze Reacts To Signboard Of 4 Different Churches In The Same Building / Jude Okoye's Comment About 3 Churches In One Building (Photos) / The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Top 10 Largest Churches In The World by iamsodium(m): 12:06pm On Nov 08, 2015
Humanity inherited large secular works with striking architecture and very rich in historical detail. Walking by faith devotees do not see it as a simple construction, but see it as a sacred place. To express this thought increasingly, churches are made ​​of sacred materials, places of apparitions / burials in various styles.

It is not up to us to define the top 10, because the criteria are many and can make a vague sense definitive. The criteria may be by area, volume, length, width, height and / or capacity, although the latter is much more subjective.

10. Basilica of Our Lady of Peace, Ivory Coast

With 8,000 square feet of indoor area, the church building was inspired by the Basilica of St. Peter in 1989. Although seem small, it can accommodate up to 18,000 people inside.

9. Basilica of the Sacred Heart, Belgium

Considered a landmark and faith, the church building was dedicated to the sacred heart of Jesus, completed in 1969. Before the construction, it had been already interrupted twice by world wars. The basilica is located in Brussels, and measures 8,000 m².

8. Basilica of the Holy Trinity, Portugal

With a capacity of up to 9000 people, the Basilica of the Holy Trinity church is more modern in top 10 lists. It was built between 2004 to 2007 in the village of Fatima in Portugal, where there appeared to some devotees. Its decor was inspired by Byzantine art and Orthodox. Its inner area is 8,700 m².

7. Shrine of Our Lady of Lichen, Poland

Built through donations from pilgrims, the basilica took 10 years to get ready (1994-2004). The church, Roman Catholic, is in Lichen Stary Poland. It has an internal area of ​​10,090 m².

6. Cathedral of Liverpool, UK

Situated in Liverpool it is the second largest Anglican Church in the world. It had been construction, between 1904 and 1978, was inspired by the Gothic Revival style. It has internal area of ​​9,687 m², has a maximum capacity of up to 5,800 people.

5. Cathedral of Milan, Italy   

The most famous Gothic church in Europe is in Italy. Its structure and finishing took nearly six centuries to be what it is today. It is one of the main cards of Milan, references in architecture, art and literature. Its interior has 10,186 m².

4. Cathedral of St. John the Divine, United States

With 11,200 square feet of indoor area, it is the largest church in the United States. It was founded in 1892, but after the fire of 2001, a neo-Gothic decoration was compromised. The work remains unfinished, although it is functioning normally.
3. Cathedral of Seville, Spain

The Cathedral of Santa Maria Cathedral, known as the Cathedral of Seville has a history that was built in the 16th century. The place is also known to be where Christopher Columbus is buried. Inner area is measuring 11,520 m² with very rich details of Gothic architecture. It is recognized by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site.

2. Basilica of Our Lady of Aparecida, Brazil

The largest center of Marian pilgrimage in the world, is in Brazil ( the world’s largest Catholic country ). The shrine, built between 1946-1980, receives up to 10 million visits per year. Inside fit 45-70 thousand devotees, in a space of 12,000 m². The basilica is in Aparecida.

1. St. Peter’s Basilica, Vatican City

The Basilica of St. Peter is considered the mother church of the Roman Catholic Church and one of the holiest places for Catholics. Tradition says that below the altar is the tomb of Peter, one of the twelve apostles of Christ, and considered the first pope of the Catholic Church. The basilica has internal area of ​​15,160 m² and maximum capacity of 60 thousand faithful.

Re: The Top 10 Largest Churches In The World by Nobody: 12:08pm On Nov 08, 2015
shocked
Re: The Top 10 Largest Churches In The World by Nobody: 12:11pm On Nov 08, 2015
All of them will be turned to gym,trade centers pretty soon.
Re: The Top 10 Largest Churches In The World by boboLIL(m): 12:16pm On Nov 08, 2015
Happy birthday to me..... Guys appreciate me.... Its only God that can do it....today is my day

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Top 10 Largest Churches In The World by johnydon22(m): 12:30pm On Nov 08, 2015
Let me assume there is an anthropomorphical creator of this universe somewhere and that creator is interested in human affairs.

If you think the creator of the vast universe is interested in these magnificent edifices summing up to billions while this

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6YGavZ1wSA3G26C_vlVCaPZzp4sF9gvtt6B4BvDSfKqgBGgRPzEt92Tw[/img]
happens all over the planet..

Then you must be fvcking out out your God damn mind...

1 Like

Re: The Top 10 Largest Churches In The World by iamsodium(m): 12:32pm On Nov 08, 2015
More

Re: The Top 10 Largest Churches In The World by Niyeal(m): 12:52pm On Nov 08, 2015
Tot Cannanland ota. Oyedepo wil make d list!
Re: The Top 10 Largest Churches In The World by btoks: 2:14pm On Nov 08, 2015
ifeness:
All of them will be turned to gym,trade centers pretty soon.
In thy dreams.
Christianity has had bigger trials than secularism and this phase will soon pass. In 500 years and beyond, those same Churches will still exist as churches.

1 Like

Re: The Top 10 Largest Churches In The World by Nobody: 4:20pm On Nov 08, 2015
the churches are fugly
Re: The Top 10 Largest Churches In The World by Obinoscopy(m): 10:40am On Nov 21, 2015
So which of the pictures is St Peters Basilica?
Re: The Top 10 Largest Churches In The World by alternate1: 1:09pm On Nov 22, 2015
Re: The Top 10 Largest Churches In The World by Fadman4real(m): 4:17pm On Nov 22, 2015
johnydon22:
Let me assume there is an anthropomorphical creator of this universe somewhere and that creator is interested in human affairs.

If you think the creator of the vast universe is interested in these magnificent edifices summing up to billions while this

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6YGavZ1wSA3G26C_vlVCaPZzp4sF9gvtt6B4BvDSfKqgBGgRPzEt92Tw[/img]
happens all over the planet..

Then you must be fvcking out out your God damn mind...

You keep talking about people suffering, how have you helped the begged in your street. You talk what you do not understand,

James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Mat. 25:34 "Then I, the King, shall say to those at my right, 'Come, blessed of my Father, into the Kingdom prepared for you from the founding of the world. Mat. 25:35 For I was hungry and you fed me; I was thirsty and you gave me water; I was a stranger and you invited me into your homes; Mat. 25:36 naked and you clothed me; sick and in prison, and you visited me.' Mat. 25:37 "Then these righteous ones will reply, 'Sir, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you anything to drink? Mat. 25:38 Or a stranger, and help you? Or naked, and clothe you? Mat. 25:39 When did we ever see you sick or in prison, and visit you?' Mat. 25:40 "And I, the King, will tell them, 'When you did it to these my brothers you were doing it to me!' Mat. 25:41 Then I will turn to those on my left and say, 'Away with you, you cursed ones, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his demons. Mat. 25:42 For I was hungry and you wouldn't feed me; thirsty, and you wouldn't give me anything to drink; Mat 25:43 a stranger, and you refused me hospitality; naked, and you wouldn't clothe me; sick, and in prison, and you didn't visit me.' Mat. 25:44 "Then they will reply, 'Lord, when did we ever see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and not help you?' Mat 25:45 "And I will answer, 'When you refused to help the least of these my brothers, you were refusing help to me.' Mat. 25:46 "And they shall go away into eternal punishment; but the righteous into everlasting life."

There is enough that God has created for us that can fill all the belies of poor people around us. It is because of greediness and lack of fear of God that makes the word the way it is today

(1) (Reply)

"The Grace Not To Miss Heaven" A Very Needless Prayer Most Christians Pray / The Deist War: Part 1: Atheists. . . Unperceptive / What Does The Bible Mean Whenever It Uses This Word?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.