Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,047 members, 7,825,335 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 11:57 AM

BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN (16951 Views)

CBN Introduces New FX Rate For Bdcs / How To Link Your BVN To Your Gtbank Acct Via Any Atms Nationwide. / BVN - How To Link Your BVN To Your Other Bank Accounts Online Or By Sms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by Adesiji77: 9:34am On Nov 09, 2015
Last week, messages had gone round through the social media that revealing one’s Bank Verification Number (BVN) will expose the bank account number of such to fraudsters and the account could be cleared.

This had formed part of the reasons some walk-in customers of Bureau De Change (BDC) operators had refused to disclose their BVN numbers before conducting foreign exchange transactions.

The apex bank had directed that effective November 1, BDC operators in the country must demand for the BVN of any customer as a requirement for the sale of foreign exchange transaction. The BVN must also be verified before the transaction is consummated and the BDCs are also required to make a returns of the transactions to the apex bank.

Basically, BDCs are to verify the BVN given to them by the customers either through a USSD short code *565*1# or through the he Nigeria Inter Bank Settlement System (NIBSS) portal. Customers who do not know their BVN can also call it up from their mobile phones by dialling the short code *565*0#.

According to Chief Executive of H.J Trust BDC, Mr Harrison Owoh, “most of the customers were not willing to submit their BVN due to fear of what it might be used for. This has slowed down sales of forex by BDCs because we can’t sell without obtaining the BVN.”

In the era of cybercrime, increased electronic banking fraud and scams, bank customers are becoming more wary in giving out information of any sort. While this should be the case, many are unaware of the nature and use of the BVN.

Contrary to the belief of some, the BVN cannot be used to electronically or otherwise withdraw funds from the customers’ accounts, Director of Corporate Communications Department of CBN, Ibrahim Mu’azu explained that the submission of BVN to BDCs for foreign exchange transactions should not be seen as a security threat.

“This probably has to do with people with illicit flows, and not for fear of the BVN itself. And for people with illicit flows, they are avoiding documentation, the way they avoid the banks.

“To us, if not for the likely impact on the black market, it is a good development because it means the foreign exchange market is now demand driven. For example, if you go to the banks for ‘Form A’ foreign exchange transactions, it requires more than the BVN” he said.

Mu’azu in a statement issued last Thursday explained that the provision of BVN by customers at the point of foreign exchange purchase or for any legitimate banking transaction with any bdc or deposit money bank does not attract any security risk. Rather it protects the customer against identify theft.

The adoption of BVN as a condition for the purchase of foreign exchange he said is expected to reduce the incidence of “multiple purchases, round tripping and illicit transfer of funds, facilitate enforcement of authorized limits of forex sales to end users, sanitize the retail segment of the market and engender policies that will facilitate better allocation of the forex, based on genuine demands.

“The BVN is neither a payment instrument nor an account number and therefore could not be used to access any account by unauthorized users. The banks, BDC operators and even regulators use the BVN to validate the identity of a customer using some biometric information such as finger prints and photograph obtained at the point of enrollment.

The BVN is a unique identification number for every bank customer that safeguards their identity and protects it with the use of biometric features which are hard to break. Although it is like the regular account number, it does a lot more than that as it also links all the customers’ accounts together giving the customer a unique identity across the banking industry.

Asides that, it protects the customers’ accounts from unauthorized access and addresses the issue of identity theft, thus reducing the customers exposure to fraud. The BVN was also designed as a tool to fish out fraudsters as all traction a become more traceable and transparent. Every customer is identified and cases of monies moving into unidentified accounts becomes a foregone issue.

Explaining how the BVN will curb the level of fraud in the system, Director, Banking and Payment System of the CBN, Mr ‘Dipo Fatokun said any bank account that does not have a BVN cannot receive or take out money. “So if you are a fraudster and you try try to transfer money to an account that does not have a BVN, the system will reject it. If you are fraudster and you transfer money to an account that has BVN then we know you.”

Adding that the data collated will be harmonized with other biometric data collected by other security and identity agents in the country, Fatokun said “once we have that harmonization, the is no hiding place. If any account is used to defraud anyone, we will know who it is.

Likewise, Executive Director at Sterling Bank, Mr Abubakar Suleiman has said when fully implemented, the BVN will help to curb arbitrage in the foreign exchange market.

The Bankers Committee and the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) had cut spending limits on naira denominated cards for transactions abroad.

The policy reduced the spending limit on the usage of the naira denominated debit cards for transactions abroad, from $150,000 per person annually, to $50,000 per person annually, while daily cash withdrawal limit on the card was also fixed at $300 per person.

Since BDCs are not allowed to sell more than $5000 to an individual, the requirement of BVN for the purchase of Foreign exchange will however ensure that every one complies with the directive and the nation’s reserve is not depleted by Maloney launderers who cash out foreign exchange to take out of the country.

http://leadership.ng/blogposts/473112/bdcs-operations-revealing-your-bvn-is-not-a-security-threat-cbn lalasticlala

5 Likes 5 Shares

Re: BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by boboLIL(m): 10:14am On Nov 09, 2015
I hope so cos that kind moni wey I go for bank eh? Lols
Re: BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by kimond101: 10:50am On Nov 09, 2015
The policy is too harsh on BDC operators.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by yomalex(m): 10:50am On Nov 09, 2015
I wonder o
If you are yet to link your BVN read steps here www.tipsdome.com/how-to-link-your-bank-verification-number-bvn-to-other-banks/
Re: BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by Nobody: 10:51am On Nov 09, 2015
Great

“This probably has to do with people with illicit flows, and not for fear of the BVN itself. And for people with illicit flows, they are avoiding documentation, the way they avoid the banks. shocked

All these Nigerians sef

9 Likes

Re: BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by 360ng: 10:52am On Nov 09, 2015
Okay
Re: BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by gurunlocker: 10:53am On Nov 09, 2015
you go fear if dem clear your account.....
BVN might not reveal acc details, but its still sensitive

2 Likes

Re: BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by Easycheddah(m): 10:54am On Nov 09, 2015
i don't believe that common this is nigerians we are talking about

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by bdemix(m): 10:54am On Nov 09, 2015
Spread Mats grin

1 Like

Re: BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by Nobody: 10:54am On Nov 09, 2015
Bvn simply prevents identity theft. Just like social security number used in other countries. It will help prevent fraud

5 Likes

Re: BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by bmxshop: 10:55am On Nov 09, 2015
The End of days is very Near.
Re: BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by richidinho(m): 10:56am On Nov 09, 2015
lol

1 Like

Re: BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by gunners160(m): 10:57am On Nov 09, 2015
Thank God o o o
Re: BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by free2ryhme: 10:57am On Nov 09, 2015
grin
Re: BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by free2ryhme: 10:58am On Nov 09, 2015
Dem don dey fear
Re: BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by datguru: 10:58am On Nov 09, 2015
I'm about losing 3 Million naira to this shitt called BVN.

Why did our polithiefians support this at first ?

I had two Names for several accounts with different banks, thank God I verified my real name first and that one has no problem.

The problem is that I also verified the fake name which I use for my shitty business ( you can hug a transformer if its hurts you) but that one didn't work since I can't use same finger prints, same face and a different name on the same database.

My account has been blocked since NOV. 1st and I dunno what to do though I'm a big customer at tha bank but I don't wanna damage my image and reputation. I'm just gonna confide in my account officer and see if there's a way out

1 Like

Re: BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by IceSplash(f): 10:58am On Nov 09, 2015
Relieved
Re: BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by dayo23(f): 10:58am On Nov 09, 2015
BVN wahala....my accounts are all close
Re: BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by Lordnewton1(m): 11:02am On Nov 09, 2015
I WONDER HOW MUCH DE UNA ACCOUNT SEF
Re: BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by Nobody: 11:03am On Nov 09, 2015
BLACK FRIDAY DISCOUNT
Black Friday 2015 on JUMIA - 27 th of November Jumia has made it possible to enjoy the best of Black Friday deals online by bringing you products ranging from electronics, mobile phones, tablets, household items to fashion clothing and many more at discounted prices. Shop online at Jumia and discover exclusive offers, vouchers, special deals and more this Black Friday. It promises to be an amazing shopping experience for all. You get to purchase a product with up to 90% discount on JUMIA Black Friday sales. So get ready for this amazing shopping experience!!! It is definitely going to be mind blowing...
Call 4 your fastest online shopping experience. Faster delivery, Cash On + Doorstep Deliveries. 08136386580
If you miss out on this latest discounts on every products, you have yourself 2 blame.

1 Like

Re: BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by oshibote1: 11:05am On Nov 09, 2015
Ok
Re: BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by Boss13: 11:08am On Nov 09, 2015
datguru:

I had two Names for several accounts with different banks, thank God I verified my real name first and that one has no problem.

The problem is that I also verified the fake name which I use for my shitty business ( you can hug a transformer if its hurts you) but that one didn't work since I can't use same finger prints, same face and a different name on the same database.

My account has been blocked since NOV. 1st and I dunno what to do though I'm a big customer at tha bank but I don't wanna damage my image and reputation. I'm just gonna confide in my account officer and see if there's a way out

Good for you since you belong to the group of persons that carries out illegitimate businesses in the country. That is exactly what the BVN was designed to do.

13 Likes

Re: BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by allisonluvsu(m): 11:09am On Nov 09, 2015
ok
Re: BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by kelvyn7: 11:10am On Nov 09, 2015
shocked
Re: BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by Marvyx(m): 11:11am On Nov 09, 2015
datguru:

I had the same problem though i don't do shitty business.

I couldn't link my fidelity account with my Ecobank account coz of name issues.

But am glad i went to withdraw all my money the day b4 BVN ended...

Even the day i went to withdraw my money, the teller was so rude with her squeezed face and short stature... I am so glad am free 4rm Ecobank. #worst bank ever.

4 Likes

Re: BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by EngrAbiola: 11:12am On Nov 09, 2015
I dnt stil no why nigerians are ignirance of the BVN. it has come to stay and it will go a long way in improving our economy

do you no that dollars has begin to fall read it here http://www.musbizubeat.com/2015/11/bvn-pushes-naira-to-232-against-dollar/
Re: BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by Joeace3000(m): 11:14am On Nov 09, 2015
Nigerians make a meal of everything

Meanwhile for those people who have no jobs, are tired of switching jobs or have no skill at all and want to develop skills that can fetch them money today, here is my Nairaland thread (Brought to you by brilliantlightsmedia) where you can come in to learn how to join fiverr and offfer Hot, In-demand Services as well as developing the skills needed not only to make money monthly working online on fiverr but offline as a workplace skill you can start a business with or use to boost your resume and job chances. Ain't that cool?

The thread is a well explained step by step guide along with images to help you grasp what you need to do. to help you get started today

There are very easy ways of making it through the internet, you just have to find the safest and surest way, and this one beckons. follow me now...

The Nairaland Fiverr Free Training Thread
Re: BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by lalaboi(m): 11:15am On Nov 09, 2015
datguru:

First, you want us to go and hug Transformer.

And you will want someone to offer you a way out?

There's even several options for you but since you're such a shitty person, there's no point

9 Likes

Re: BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by menix(m): 11:16am On Nov 09, 2015
Hmm..

Nigerians re funny oo..

How on earth can someone believe that his/her account can be tampered with if ur BVN is known..

If that is so, having knowledge of ur account number would also be used to clear an account..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by datguru: 11:23am On Nov 09, 2015
lalaboi:

First, you want us to go and hug Transformer.

And you will want someone to offer you a way out?

There's even several options for you but since you're such a shitty person, there's no point

Hell yeah... Don't huge a transformer bro. We are talking about 3.2 million Nigerian naira here.

What's the way out, please if you don't min
Re: BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by menix(m): 11:31am On Nov 09, 2015
datguru:

Hell yeah... Don't huge a transformer bro. We are talking about 3.2 million Nigerian naira here.

What's the way out, please if you don't min

I can help only if u post a pix where u actually hugged a transformer instead..

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: BDCs Operations: Revealing Your BVN Is Not A Security Threat – CBN by Nobody: 11:33am On Nov 09, 2015
The one that pains me is that , some pastors are telling their members not to register, that the BVN is about anti Christ coming. Meanwhile pastor don go do his BVN to protect his money. We need to invest in education seriously.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oil Slump: Banks Face Financial Distress / Secrets For Turning A Small Business Into A Big One / 3 Pitfalls That Can Destroy The Dreams Of Entrepreneur And How To Overcome Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.