Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,906 members, 7,817,682 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour (38927 Views)

OAU students trapped following a downpour, today, in Ile Ife, Osun State (Photos / PHOTO: Public Schools In Kano Flooded Days After First Heavy Downpour / Benue Poly Students Suffer Flood From Early Morning Downpour (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by kayo80(m): 10:48am On Nov 11, 2015
whoa!
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by Nobody: 10:48am On Nov 11, 2015
grin grin grin grin grin

k bro!

studio14:
until African man stops attributing every of his misadventures to his village people he hill not make headway
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by ademoladeji(m): 10:48am On Nov 11, 2015
Let's all learn how to swim
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by Dapaboy: 10:48am On Nov 11, 2015
Bad government since time immemorial.
From incompetent military dictators to incompetent elected dictators,

What you get? Poor or no infrastructure.

Please we want Biafra.

My dog is telling me he will govern better than your so called leaders

1 Like

Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by omojeesu(m): 10:49am On Nov 11, 2015
A consequence of a nation that cares not for its own! The wages of corrupt leadership!

1 Like

Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by Nobody: 10:50am On Nov 11, 2015
Lizabeth25:
R.I.P to the dead......and may God console his families cry
until Africans stops attributing all his misfortunes to his village people they are not making any headway
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by tociano009(m): 10:50am On Nov 11, 2015
Lizabeth25:
Modified! tongue

madness run in your blood, ugly bitch

1 Like

Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by Nobody: 10:50am On Nov 11, 2015
Lizabeth25:
Like seriously Boo! grin

Don't 'boo' me jor. angry angry angry
Thank God you edited it, i don de plan swear for you undecided undecided
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by Nickymezor(f): 10:51am On Nov 11, 2015
wat a sad story.... Rip Mr Talabi
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by zamwazi(m): 10:51am On Nov 11, 2015
RIP
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by Nobody: 10:51am On Nov 11, 2015
Open drainage system is open wickedness!!! Rochas and Wike take note.

1 Like

Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by SirLegal(m): 10:53am On Nov 11, 2015
So Sad.

RIP to him
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by YaksonFCA(m): 10:54am On Nov 11, 2015
May his soul rest in peace.
My condolence goes to the families and friends of the deceased.

While we all expect the government to provide good drainage system on our roads we all owe it as a duty that we dont engage in indiscriminate dumping of refuse to forestall this kind of incidence.
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by April4th(m): 10:54am On Nov 11, 2015
RIP
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by Nobody: 10:55am On Nov 11, 2015
ifISLAPYOU:
Awwww #sad
shocked shocked shocked....is that you and your boobs?

Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by Oblion(m): 10:57am On Nov 11, 2015
Academics is not everything, he could not even swim to save himself, if nah my fisherman brother, him for still de around now, R.i.p to Mr.graduate
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by Nnamoo77: 10:57am On Nov 11, 2015
R.I.P.
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by Armaggedon: 10:57am On Nov 11, 2015
Rest in Peace
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by sherrylo: 10:57am On Nov 11, 2015
IYANGBALI:
just like dat?na wa o

The thing tire me so oh
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by Heineken(m): 11:02am On Nov 11, 2015
@lizabeth25 you no try at all babe. This thing can happen to anyone na. Your talk no make sense from here to there.

1 Like

Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by justmenoni: 11:02am On Nov 11, 2015
May his soul rest in peace, there are lots of abandoned drainages In lagos and it's very dangerous yet our govt haven't find it necessary to complete these projects.. In their opinions we only voted them to loot us back and forth.

1 Like

Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by ifISLAPYOU(f): 11:04am On Nov 11, 2015
ZuzuMan:
shocked shocked shocked....is that you and your boobs?
wat is yu saying?
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by Orikinla(m): 11:06am On Nov 11, 2015
[size=18pt]It was an unfortunate tragedy that would have been prevented.
In any storm, the best safety advice is to find a shelter in the storm and stay there until the rainfall is over and the flood has reduced. But you see Nigerians removing their shoes, sandals and slippers and wading through flood during heavy rainfall and risk stepping on exposed electric cables or falling into gutters.

Parents, guardians and teachers don't even know the dangers of allowing school children to go to school and return home during storms.
I am sorry many Nigerians behave like re-tards.

STAY ALIVE!

[/size]
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by fascowilly(m): 11:14am On Nov 11, 2015
Lizabeth25:
R.I.P to the dead......and may God console his families cry

Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by fortune1968: 11:17am On Nov 11, 2015
Aromas:
Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding. This my birthday quote to all my friends. Happy Birthday To Me
nonsense! na birthday we dey talk here? person drown he dey talk jargons!
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by Okeikpu(m): 11:18am On Nov 11, 2015
After ogogoro nd kaikai here is the consequences undecided
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by Nobody: 11:21am On Nov 11, 2015
so sad...
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by techmart(m): 11:22am On Nov 11, 2015
RIP
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by Godsonkemz(m): 11:27am On Nov 11, 2015
Police always feeding the public with false statement since 1914...just like Lia Mohammed and Adesina will always do.
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by DMerciful(m): 11:31am On Nov 11, 2015
Look how casually a man with children died! Nigeria is a failed state undecided
Fynestboi:
The victim, who was married with children, was said to be returning home when there was a downpour which flooded the road.

As the victim attempted to jump over a gutter, one of his legs was said to have been trapped.

Eyewitnesses told our correspondent that efforts to save him were abortive, adding that the 38-year-old did not struggle with the surge.

His remains were said to have been recovered in a swamp on Odediran Street on Sunday morning.

A bundle of naira notes and a teller were reportedly found on him.

A trader, Jane Nwosu, who claimed to have witnessed the incident, said it happened around 1pm.

She said, “The man had just come out of the bank and he was about to cross the gutter when his feet slipped. People tried to rescue him but his head was stuck in the drainage.

“He appeared weak and did not struggle to save himself. The flood swept him through the drainage and everybody was helpless.”

A friend of the victim, who identified himself as Korede, said Talabi had been sick and had been admitted to a private hospital before he was discharged on Friday.

A relative, Ibikunle Oguntamu, said the family did not know he had been swept away by flood.

He said after Talabi did not return home on Friday evening, they became apprehensive, adding that they reported a case of missing person to the police.

“Yinka (Talabi) did not drink or womanise and he never kept late at night. When we did not see him and his phone was not reachable, we reported at the Ikotun Police Division.

“We later learnt he was swept away by water and we searched everywhere without any success. On Sunday morning, his corpse floated in a swamp behind Muslim College, Ikotun.”

During a visit to the community on Tuesday, the family lamented that the corpse had yet to be released to them for burial.

One of the relatives of the deceased, Mayowa Adebola, appealed to the police not to aggravate the sorrow of the family by delaying the release of the corpse.

“We plan to bury him today (Wednesday), and the police are holding back the clearance form, saying the Divisional Police Officer who is meant to sign the form is not around and our people have been waiting at the mortuary since morning.

“We beg them not to worsen our sorrow,” he added.

PUNCH Metro gathered that it was not the first time a person would drown in the community due to the blockage of the drainage.

A tricycle operator, who did not identify himself, said some residents were fond of dumping refuse into the drainage.

“Some time ago, around Governor’s Road, a student was similarly swept away by flood. A vulcaniser, who tried to save him, was also swept away.

“We were able to remove the boy and take him to the hospital where the dirty water was evacuated from his stomach, but the vulcaniser died.”

The Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Joe Offor, confirmed the incident.

He said, “The man got drowned on Sunday. He had been sick for some time and he was in his house when one of his work mates called him that their salary had been paid he should come and collect his share.

“He was returning from there when he fell into a gutter and got drowned. The police have released the corpse to them.”

Cc:Lalasticlala

http://punchng.com/graduate-slips-into-gutter-drowns-after-downpour/

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Final Year Student Of Michael Okpara University Killed In Accident In Abia / Cows Disrupt School Activities In Benin City (Photos) / John Chukwuemeka Nwafor, "Nigeria's Longest Serving Teacher" (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.