Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,142 members, 7,821,895 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:06 PM

Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour (38930 Views)

OAU students trapped following a downpour, today, in Ile Ife, Osun State (Photos / PHOTO: Public Schools In Kano Flooded Days After First Heavy Downpour / Benue Poly Students Suffer Flood From Early Morning Downpour (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by j4sure(m): 11:33am On Nov 11, 2015
ok ooooooooooooooooo
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by maurs(f): 11:44am On Nov 11, 2015
[quote author=69MissedCalls post=39903105][/quote] May God forgive you. U are just one of the few mumu I know without brain.
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by maurs(f): 11:46am On Nov 11, 2015
Fynestboi:
The victim, who was married with children, was said to be returning home when there was a downpour which flooded the road.

As the victim attempted to jump over a gutter, one of his legs was said to have been trapped.

Eyewitnesses told our correspondent that efforts to save him were abortive, adding that the 38-year-old did not struggle with the surge.

His remains were said to have been recovered in a swamp on Odediran Street on Sunday morning.

A bundle of naira notes and a teller were reportedly found on him.

A trader, Jane Nwosu, who claimed to have witnessed the incident, said it happened around 1pm.

She said, “The man had just come out of the bank and he was about to cross the gutter when his feet slipped. People tried to rescue him but his head was stuck in the drainage.

“He appeared weak and did not struggle to save himself. The flood swept him through the drainage and everybody was helpless.”

A friend of the victim, who identified himself as Korede, said Talabi had been sick and had been admitted to a private hospital before he was discharged on Friday.

A relative, Ibikunle Oguntamu, said the family did not know he had been swept away by flood.

He said after Talabi did not return home on Friday evening, they became apprehensive, adding that they reported a case of missing person to the police.

“Yinka (Talabi) did not drink or womanise and he never kept late at night. When we did not see him and his phone was not reachable, we reported at the Ikotun Police Division.

“We later learnt he was swept away by water and we searched everywhere without any success. On Sunday morning, his corpse floated in a swamp behind Muslim College, Ikotun.”

During a visit to the community on Tuesday, the family lamented that the corpse had yet to be released to them for burial.

One of the relatives of the deceased, Mayowa Adebola, appealed to the police not to aggravate the sorrow of the family by delaying the release of the corpse.

“We plan to bury him today (Wednesday), and the police are holding back the clearance form, saying the Divisional Police Officer who is meant to sign the form is not around and our people have been waiting at the mortuary since morning.

“We beg them not to worsen our sorrow,” he added.

PUNCH Metro gathered that it was not the first time a person would drown in the community due to the blockage of the drainage.

A tricycle operator, who did not identify himself, said some residents were fond of dumping refuse into the drainage.

“Some time ago, around Governor’s Road, a student was similarly swept away by flood. A vulcaniser, who tried to save him, was also swept away.

“We were able to remove the boy and take him to the hospital where the dirty water was evacuated from his stomach, but the vulcaniser died.”

The Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Joe Offor, confirmed the incident.

He said, “The man got drowned on Sunday. He had been sick for some time and he was in his house when one of his work mates called him that their salary had been paid he should come and collect his share.

“He was returning from there when he fell into a gutter and got drowned. The police have released the corpse to them.”

Cc:Lalasticlala

http://punchng.com/graduate-slips-into-gutter-drowns-after-downpour/
RIP
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by NoMoreTrolling: 11:50am On Nov 11, 2015
I have never seen open gutters in the U.S, U.k, dubai...

Our leaders are just wicked.

Drainages should be buried so that even when ppl litter, the dirt just stays on the surface.

Drainages should be buried so that cases lime this don't happen.

RIP to the dead sad

Nigeria, I continue to spit on all our daft leaders.

1 Like

Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by 69MissedCalls(m): 11:51am On Nov 11, 2015
maurs:
May God forgive you. U are just one of the few mumu I know without brain.

what have I done? undecided
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by basit322(m): 11:55am On Nov 11, 2015
Oblion:
Academics is not everything, he could not even swim to save himself, if nah my fisherman brother, him for still de around now, R.i.p to Mr.graduate

The guy didnot just graduate. @oblion I can bet it wit u if dat ur fisherman broda fall inside dat ikotun gutter is on his own
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by Ganjafama(m): 11:58am On Nov 11, 2015
Nigerians and their love for titles. What's wrong if the headline says "Man, 38 slips into gutter, drowns after downpour". The emphasis must not be on qualification. We really need to change our orientation. May his soul rest in peace.
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by harry509: 12:06pm On Nov 11, 2015
Fynestboi:
The victim, who was married with children, was said to be returning home when there was a downpour which flooded the road.

As the victim attempted to jump over a gutter, one of his legs was said to have been trapped.

Eyewitnesses told our correspondent that efforts to save him were abortive, adding that the 38-year-old did not struggle with the surge.

His remains were said to have been recovered in a swamp on Odediran Street on Sunday morning.

A bundle of naira notes and a teller were reportedly found on him.

A trader, Jane Nwosu, who claimed to have witnessed the incident, said it happened around 1pm.

She said, “The man had just come out of the bank and he was about to cross the gutter when his feet slipped. People tried to rescue him but his head was stuck in the drainage.

“He appeared weak and did not struggle to save himself. The flood swept him through the drainage and everybody was helpless.”

A friend of the victim, who identified himself as Korede, said Talabi had been sick and had been admitted to a private hospital before he was discharged on Friday.

A relative, Ibikunle Oguntamu, said the family did not know he had been swept away by flood.

He said after Talabi did not return home on Friday evening, they became apprehensive, adding that they reported a case of missing person to the police.

“Yinka (Talabi) did not drink or womanise and he never kept late at night. When we did not see him and his phone was not reachable, we reported at the Ikotun Police Division.

“We later learnt he was swept away by water and we searched everywhere without any success. On Sunday morning, his corpse floated in a swamp behind Muslim College, Ikotun.”

During a visit to the community on Tuesday, the family lamented that the corpse had yet to be released to them for burial.

One of the relatives of the deceased, Mayowa Adebola, appealed to the police not to aggravate the sorrow of the family by delaying the release of the corpse.

“We plan to bury him today (Wednesday), and the police are holding back the clearance form, saying the Divisional Police Officer who is meant to sign the form is not around and our people have been waiting at the mortuary since morning.

“We beg them not to worsen our sorrow,” he added.

PUNCH Metro gathered that it was not the first time a person would drown in the community due to the blockage of the drainage.

A tricycle operator, who did not identify himself, said some residents were fond of dumping refuse into the drainage.

“Some time ago, around Governor’s Road, a student was similarly swept away by flood. A vulcaniser, who tried to save him, was also swept away.

“We were able to remove the boy and take him to the hospital where the dirty water was evacuated from his stomach, but the vulcaniser died.”

The Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Joe Offor, confirmed the incident.

He said, “The man got drowned on Sunday. He had been sick for some time and he was in his house when one of his work mates called him that their salary had been paid he should come and collect his share.

“He was returning from there when he fell into a gutter and got drowned. The police have released the corpse to them.”

Cc:Lalasticlala

http://punchng.com/graduate-slips-into-gutter-drowns-after-downpour/
diff stories evriday. God pls save ur children. R.I.P
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by ewizard1: 12:07pm On Nov 11, 2015
But please, can anyone explain why Police would find it difficult to release a corpse to its owners even after identification? They want them to pay or what?
And for you dumb f00lish NLers that makes comments from your ill fated brains only for you to modify it after been bashed! Why not try get sense?
See this ode saying "overjoy dey worry am..."
#Aunty Oponu!!!
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by Nobody: 12:14pm On Nov 11, 2015
Nigeria is a nation of moats and that is a big shame on the construction companies and city planner. Ptui!

Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by 4nobody4every1: 12:21pm On Nov 11, 2015
embarassed embarassed
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by calcal: 12:28pm On Nov 11, 2015
this country again?
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by Nobody: 12:51pm On Nov 11, 2015
RIP
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by Nicepoker(m): 1:07pm On Nov 11, 2015
Lizabeth25:
Modified tongue
before ur delayed modification. Ur earlier comment had gone viral.
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by charlesbailey(m): 1:14pm On Nov 11, 2015
i laff at humans who struggle hard to win an already lost battle and console themselves with 'recieving grace for still being alive'
don't you people get it? the point of living is dying,if you're not yet dead,one day you'll be..will you say God's grace finished? or you were no longer worthy of the grace?
thank him for what you're able to achieve while you're here. death is absolute. death comes to all
r.i.p to the dead
SporaD8:
Sometimes like these, Am forced to look at my life in retrospect - many have died, and many perished. is it 'cos am better than they are? No! Its by the special grace of God than am alive to witness yet another 11:11(my birthday) in the land of the living!
Baba na you biko!!!
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by Nobody: 1:26pm On Nov 11, 2015
If any of your relatives and including you self get my kinda beauty, make u dey thank God! Idiot!

tociano009:
madness run in your blood, ugly bitch
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by Lucasbalo(m): 1:55pm On Nov 11, 2015
NoMoreTrolling:
I have never seen open gutters in the U.S, U.k, dubai...

Our leaders are just wicked.

Drainages should be buried so that even when ppl litter, the dirt just stays on the surface.

Drainages should be buried so that cases lime this don't happen.

RIP to the dead sad

Nigeria, I continue to spit on all our daft leaders.
Gbam.
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by AbbeySOM: 1:57pm On Nov 11, 2015
We live on same street, didn't believe when I heard it but... life is cruel! Life is like shadow, like vapour that appears now n disappear next, life is like flower that grows, glows and dies. God please take care of his little twin children. Still cant find a place in my heart to Kip the sad story but He's dead. All is vanity, vanity upon vanity... Please look at your self critically today and amend your ways with God. Rev. 3:19-20
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by tociano009(m): 2:31pm On Nov 11, 2015
Lizabeth25:
If any of your relatives and including you self get my kinda beauty, make u dey thank God! Idiot!

go and die

1 Like

Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by Nobody: 3:21pm On Nov 11, 2015
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

die ke..? I sure will die but not now! But you, go fall inside d lagoon. that is where your kind belong! tongue

tociano009:
go and die
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by bummyla(m): 3:58pm On Nov 11, 2015
So Sad! RIP!
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by Resilience: 5:39pm On Nov 11, 2015
This is a very painful one. RIP
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by newsteller: 7:01pm On Nov 11, 2015
Over 50,000 Jamb candidates are offered admission today visit https:// allstudentarena.com to see if you are among
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by newsteller: 7:01pm On Nov 11, 2015
Over 50,000 Jamb candidates are offered admission today visit https:// allstudentarena.com to see if you are among
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by newsteller: 7:02pm On Nov 11, 2015
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by Aromas: 8:52pm On Nov 11, 2015
fortune1968:
nonsense! na birthday we dey talk here? person drown he dey talk jargons!
Feel free to hug transformer bro!!! grin
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by mrLhanray(m): 12:27am On Nov 12, 2015
i know him, he stays in my area. he was a very friendly person...
Re: Graduate Slips Into Gutter, Drowns After Downpour by franklingud(m): 10:03am On Nov 12, 2015
embarassed sad death, R.I.P bro

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Admissions At King's University Edmonton Canada / Cows Disrupt School Activities In Benin City (Photos) / Final Year Student Of Michael Okpara University Killed In Accident In Abia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.