Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,055 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

Nigeria's Consul General Confronts South African Police Brutality - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Nigeria's Consul General Confronts South African Police Brutality (740 Views)

Xenophobia: Zambian Radio Station Stops Playing South African Music / 2013 Xenophobia Video In South African / South African Police Kill Striking Miners! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria's Consul General Confronts South African Police Brutality by blackspade(m): 8:12pm On May 15, 2009
Envoy Confronts South African Police Brutality

Lagos — Nigeria's Consul General (C-G) in Johannesburg, Kalu Ukwu, has challenged police authorities in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, over incessant reports of brutalisation, intimidation, extortion and harassment of Nigerians.

Ukwu, who visited the Province's Police Commissioner, Hamilton Ngidi, in his office in Durban, on Wednesday, said this was rather sad, especially at a time when relations between Nigeria and South Africa had reached a strategic level.

"'Nigerians still suffer series of police brutalisation, harassment, extortion and undue intimidation here in South Africa. I must say that we are not happy with the reported cases of undue harassment Nigerians are subjected to.

"While we are not against your government fighting criminality, we take exception to the situation where every Nigerian is targeted and tagged a criminal.

"You must be aware that many Nigerians are hard working, honest and respect the law, while contributing meaningfully to the economic growth of your economy. We will appreciate it if these issues are looked into, so that the existing cordial relations between both nations would continue to thrive, as both countries prepare to celebrate the 10 years Bi-National anniversary in October."

Ukwu said. Nigerian government was committed to protecting interest, welfare and well-being of its citizens anywhere in the world and would not fold its arms while Nigerians were unfairly treated by agents of government of their host community.

Responding, Ngidi assured Ukwu that the police would endeavour to look into all issues raised, with a view to fishing out some of the bad elements within the force.

He, however, said, "we do not deliberately go after any particular people or Nigerians during our policing operations, but I agree that there are some bad officers among us who take the laws into their hands."

"There is a unit currently dealing with tens of tons of such complaints even from South Africans," he said.

Earlier, at a meeting with leaders of the Nigerian community in Durban, Ukwu urged them to live by example and remain patriotic and good ambassadors of Nigeria in their host community.He advised the leadership to always liaise with officials of the Consulate if they confront any difficulty.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=143424

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Although we Nigerians have a reputation in South Africa for being into shady business, many innocent hard working Nigerians fall victim to discrimination by South Africa's (overwhelmingly white) police force just because they are Nigerian. I'm talking about regular people who have no connections to any bad business getting threatened and beaten all because of their accent or because they look different. Even with the criminals, there is extreme injustice. I remember watching a video about Nigerian criminals in Durban, and they had a segment to where the police had rounded up a group of naijas and searched them for drugs. Well in this segment I specifically remember a [white] police officer planting one of the men with a 'white substance' ! I will post the video for you all to watch.

(1) (Reply)

Iraq's Saddam Only Boasted Of Nuclear Capability 2 Deceive Iran / Us Marks Sept. 11 Attack / Muslim Riots In Sweden

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.