Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,503 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? (5931 Views)

Is Gionee X1s (3gb/32gb) Fake / Is Gionee Dead In Nigeria? / Is Gionee M6 Really Worth120k, Pls Be Honest, No Sentiments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by TechRez(m): 1:00pm On Nov 11, 2015
Gionee’s mobile division in Nigeria is falling apart. The Chinese mobile manufacturer founded in 2002 grew to become a formidable brand in China, expanding its market to India, Vietnam, Taiwan, Phillppines and Nigeria.

In 2013, the mobile brand grew in popularity in Nigeria, posing a huge threat to Tecno. Gionee’s constant push for innovative smartphones backed by aggressive marketing made the brand a household name.

The company also earned a global recognition for manufacturing the slimmest phone in 2014, the Elife S5.5, although it has been overtaken by Micromax’s Canvas Sliver 5.

During that same year, Gionee got in the media for some shoddy practices. It was accused of delivering smartphones pre-installed with Malwares.

Gionee E6
Gionee E6
Fast-foward to 2015, the company appears to be struggling especially in Nigeria where other OEM ‘s like Infinix have had an instant impact in Africa’s biggest mobile market.

Infinix and Google had a mega deal that brought in the Infinix Hot 2, an Android One smartphone that has sold in tens of thousands. The same thing cannot be said of Gionee smartphones, though they launch new devices continuously, it appears no one noticed.

The competition is going to be more stiff, as Xiaomi which was recently dethroned as the biggest Mobile Vendor in China by Huawei launches two smartphones in Nigeria at the end of November.

Jumia is also likely to partner with Wileyfox to launch two smartphones in Nigeria before the end of 2015 TechRez can authoritatively confirm. Wilefox phones are like the hugely successful OnePlus phones running on Cyanogen OS with top-of-the-line specs on-board.

It is not clear what went wrong in the camp of Gionee, but if they choose to remain relevant in Nigeria. They have to “re-study” the market, knowing why brands like Yezz Mobile failed miserably in Nigeria with their completely down-market phones and why emerging brands like InnJoo have suddenly become an instant success.

http://www.techrez.com/why-is-gionee-struggling-in-nigeria/

cc: lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by Maximum83: 1:08pm On Nov 11, 2015
TechRez:
Gionee’s mobile division in Nigeria is falling apart. The Chinese mobile manufacturer founded in 2002 grew to become a formidable brand in China, expanding its market to India, Vietnam, Taiwan, Phillppines and Nigeria.

In 2013, the mobile brand grew in popularity in Nigeria, posing a huge threat to Tecno. Gionee’s constant push for innovative smartphones backed by aggressive marketing made the brand a household name.

The company also earned a global recognition for manufacturing the slimmest phone in 2014, the Elife S5.5, although it has been overtaken by Micromax’s Canvas Sliver 5.

During that same year, Gionee got in the media for some shoddy practices. It was accused of delivering smartphones pre-installed with Malwares.

Gionee E6
Gionee E6
Fast-foward to 2015, the company appears to be struggling especially in Nigeria where other OEM ‘s like Infinix have had an instant impact in Africa’s biggest mobile market.

Infinix and Google had a mega deal that brought in the Infinix Hot 2, an Android One smartphone that has sold in tens of thousands. The same thing cannot be said of Gionee smartphones, though they launch new devices continuously, it appears no one noticed.

The competition is going to be more stiff, as Xiaomi which was recently dethroned as the biggest Mobile Vendor in China by Huawei launches two smartphones in Nigeria at the end of November.

Jumia is also likely partner with Wileyfox to launch two smartphones in Nigeria before the end of 2015. Wilefox phones are like the hugely successful OnePlus phones running on Cyanogen OS with top-of-the-line specs on-board.

It is not clear what went wrong in the camp of Gionee, but if they choose to remain relevant in Nigeria. They have “re-study” the market, knowing why brands like Yezz Mobile failed miserably in Nigeria with their completely down-market phones and why emerging brands like InnJoo have suddenly become an instant success.

http://www.techrez.com/why-is-gionee-struggling-in-nigeria/

cc: lalasticlala
Gionee don't understand the African mobile market. Companies like Tecno, Infinix are doing very well. Report has it that Tecno sold over 45 millions of phones last year in Africa. Gionee market strategy is poor

1 Like

Re: Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Nov 11, 2015
Gionee has all it takes to make it in the African market only if they will go back to the drawing board, involve top bloggers and all that.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by isaacasher(m): 3:54pm On Nov 11, 2015
nigerian market does not like surprises they want what they know tecno came with basic phones with alarming battery life, which gave dem a name and pave way for their smart phones .... they need to change strategy, I don't really trust gionee Buh tecno and infinix are really trying
Re: Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by TechRez(m): 3:56pm On Nov 11, 2015
gadgetsngs:
Gionee has all it takes to make it in the African market only if they will go back to the drawing board, involve top bloggers and all that.

I totally agree with you.. smiley
Re: Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by Oyetboy(m): 4:03pm On Nov 11, 2015
Gionee is far more reliable than tecno, infinix etc

13 Likes

Re: Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by Panshow(m): 4:29pm On Nov 11, 2015
Where are your facts?, any statistics to back up your point?.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Nov 11, 2015
Oyetboy:
Gionee is far more reliable than tecno, infinix etc

The Tecno paid trolls would soon hit back at you

7 Likes

Re: Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Nov 11, 2015
Panshow:

Must there be statistics? Can't you see what's right in front of you?
Re: Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Nov 11, 2015
koice:

Must there be statistics? Can't you see what's in front of you?
leave him alone,I will produce stats Next year
Re: Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by wildcatter23(m): 5:18pm On Nov 11, 2015
I am a die hard gionee fan. But I feel in the marketing department, gionee comes last. Imagine, the gionee m3 mini came out, independent marketers in Onitsha were not even aware of it. I had to show them pictures of the phone I got from Nairaland before they took me serious. Had to travel to Benin to get the phone after waiting a week. I reside in asaba, mind you. I remember the week tecno l3 came out, marketers in emeka ofor had it so with other tecno products, a lot of people don't even know about the phone Gionee. Gionee in my opinion makes better phones but has failed in the marketing department, their Facebook page is wack. Perhaps they should engage an independent marketer like jumia and work hard on aggressive marketing

8 Likes

Re: Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by Avero(m): 5:21pm On Nov 11, 2015
gionee people make good phones with good specs and great battery life, but they hardly have the masses in mind, they forget Nigeria I'd a developing country and has majority of The masses as poor, their phones are usually expensive, and rvry font really market their products much or very friendly to customers

My Opinion sha

5 Likes

Re: Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by TechRez(m): 5:38pm On Nov 11, 2015
ollah1:

The Tecno paid trolls would soon hit back at you

Funny..
Re: Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Nov 11, 2015
To me, Gionee's sale is not high in Nigeria because of the following
1. The market penetration is poor.
2. The phone market is saturated coupled with the fact that they are not innovative enough. Their selling point is battery but it goes beyond battery life. Infinix is a hot cake in Nigeria because of their battery life, affordable price(not too low not high), good camera quality-( most persons opt in for it because it was clear and sharp) and after sales repair in nearly the 36 states of the federation. But what woo them was the sharp and clear pictures coupled with big screen, long lasting battery that charges fast.( Although I learnt the new Gionee now charges fast from the advert I watched)
3. It was just of recent that they introduced low range phones with good battery life e.g gionee mini range.
Possible solutions(my opinion)
1. The marketing department should carry out a survey or research on what Nigerians really need because that is the basis for determing what to produce before production.
2. They should study the strength of their competitor to know their selling point.
3. They should capitalise on every opportunity available at their disposal to out way their competitor. This entails doing it more better than their competitor. For example infinix selling point is quality camera, strong battery, affordable price( medium range) case study infinix hot note pro and carl centre. Gionee may decide to add some spices to their product, e.g water resistance, durable( nokia 3310 a good example), long lasting battery, carl centre in the 36 states of federation for after. Imagine buying a phone with good camera pix, long lasting battery and strong phone for N10,000 that is if they would do so. Having a good trained customer care representative similar to GTB bank. Not someone that is aggressive but patient with their customers. Be able to resolve their problem on time. Their spare parts shouldn't be expensive that is buying one part shouldn't lead me to buy another phone. E.g if the cost of my phone is N20,000 and changing the screen is about N7,000, it wouldn't be reasonable to change it instead I would save some cash to add to it to buy another
4. Price is one of the greatest weapon to woo customers to their brand especially customers comparing the benefits and cost from product. It is a major determinant of demand( ask Tecno why their so called Camon 8 or C8 hasn't being a huge success since it was lauched.
That is Nigeria market for you

11 Likes

Re: Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by TechRez(m): 5:49pm On Nov 11, 2015
Panshow:

Most of these Chinese OEM do not release their quarterly report to the public.

However, we carried out a very intense study on the situation, online and offline analysis to come to our logical conclusion.

We write purely on facts and not on assumptions or emotions. smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by TechRez(m): 5:52pm On Nov 11, 2015
asuustrike2009:
To me, Gionee's sale is not high in Nigeria because of the following
1. The market penetration is poor.
2. The phone market is saturated coupled with the fact that they are not innovative enough. Their selling point is battery but it goes beyond battery life. Infinix is a hot cake in Nigeria because of their battery life, affordable price(not too low not high), good camera quality-( most persons opt in for it because it was clear and sharp) and after sales repair in nearly the 36 states of the federation. But what woo them was the sharp and clear pictures coupled with big screen, long lasting battery that charges fast.( Although I learnt the new Gionee now charges fast from the advert I watched)
3. It was just of recent that they introduced low range phones with good battery life e.g gionee mini range.
Possible solutions(my opinion)
1. The marketing department should carry out a survey or research on what Nigerians really need because that is the basis for determing what to produce before production.
2. They should study the strength of their competitor to know their selling point.
3. They should capitalise on every opportunity available at their disposal to out way their competitor. This entails doing it more better than their competitor. For example infinix selling point is quality camera, strong battery, affordable price( medium range) case study infinix hot note pro and carl centre. Gionee may decide to add some spices to their product, e.g water resistance, durable( nokia 3310 a good example), long lasting battery, carl centre in the 36 states of federation for after. Imagine buying a phone with good camera pix, long lasting battery and strong phone for N10,000 that is if they would do so. Having a good trained customer care representative similar to GTB bank. Not someone that is aggressive but patient with their customers. Be able to resolve their problem on time. Their spare parts shouldn't be expensive that is buying one part shouldn't lead me to buy another phone. E.g if the cost of my phone is N20,000 and changing the screen is about N7,000, it wouldn't be reasonable to change it instead I would save some cash to add to it to buy another
4. Price is one of the greatest weapon to woo customers to their brand especially customers comparing the benefits and cost from product. It is a major determinant of demand( ask Tecno why their so called Camon 8 or C8 hasn't being a huge success since it was lauched.
That is Nigeria market for you

Wow, these are outstanding points you raised.

Marketing is everything. The last time I checked, Samsung can sell plastics as gold and people will fall, because they have the best mobile marketing department in the world.

For me this is so sad, because Sony and Gionee are in the same page. They make decent phones with mediocre marketing.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by henryobinna(m): 6:26pm On Nov 11, 2015
They have bad marketing strategy
Re: Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by tempem: 8:00pm On Nov 11, 2015
Panshow:
I wonder oh. All I see is a tecno fan.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by xxxtedyxxx(m): 8:50pm On Nov 11, 2015
TechRez:

Most of these Chinese OEM do not release their quarterly report to the public.

However, we carried out a very intense study on the situation, online and offline analysis to come to our logical conclusion.

We write purely on facts and not on assumptions or emotions. smiley
oga. All u posted is trash, u can't even ansa such a simple question. See ur mouth like online and offline analysis. U typed trash and called it ananlysis. All these yeye bloggers that won't do their homework well. U said infinix hot 2 has sold tense of thousands...can u prove that? U just sit down with plate of beans dey compose rubbish.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:14pm On Nov 11, 2015
TechRez:

Marketing is everything. The last time I checked, Samsung can sell plastics as gold and people will fall, because they have the best mobile marketing department in the world.

For me this is so sad, because Sony and Gionee are in the same page. They make decent phones with mediocre marketing.
That is my brother. If you have any of them reading this, they take those points raised seriously
Re: Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by TechRez(m): 9:16pm On Nov 11, 2015
xxxtedyxxx:
oga. All u posted is trash, u can't even ansa such a simple question. See ur mouth like online and offline analysis. U typed trash and called it ananlysis. All these yeye bloggers that won't do their homework well. U said infinix hot 2 has sold tense of thousands...can u prove that? U just sit down with plate of beans dey compose rubbish.

The sales of Infinix Hot 2 was independently confirmed by Infinix Mobility. At the time we got the report, over 170k units of the device had left the company.

However, we will not continue to join words with you. Next time, before you insult bloggers, do your homework and run through the profile of the blogs.

Please take a seat!

1 Like

Re: Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by wildcatter23(m): 9:18pm On Nov 11, 2015
TechRez:

There is a niche yet unsatisfied in the tab scene. Maybe gionee should capitalize on that
Re: Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by TechRez(m): 9:19pm On Nov 11, 2015
tempem:
I wonder oh. All I see is a tecno fan.

You may need to borrow an eye-glass..
Re: Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by TechRez(m): 9:21pm On Nov 11, 2015
wildcatter23:

There is a niche yet unsatisfied in the tab scene. Maybe gionee should capitalize on that

Sales of Tablet are dropping astronomically, that would be a terrible business decision, if you ask me.
Re: Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by invisibility: 9:59pm On Nov 11, 2015
Gionee's only problem is marketing.They don't take marketing seriously. Tecno and infinix with lower quality products market aggressively. They have their adverts in all the major tech markets, webs and blogs.

All the tech mega dealers are well in partnership with Tecno and the likes but go into many tech shops and you observe that many Gionee products are foreign to them while Tecno and infinix litter the shops.

Aside that they have quality and brand far better than Tecno and others. They also have affordable phones too.
Re: Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by Youngpo413: 10:07pm On Nov 11, 2015
Tecno are really dominating followed by infinix...
Re: Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by Youngpo413: 10:11pm On Nov 11, 2015
TechRez:

Sales of Tablet are dropping astronomically, that would be a terrible business decision, if you ask me.
I hate tabs and I don't have any reason for that,I rejected an ipad recently.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by Andyblaze: 12:31am On Nov 12, 2015
Still better than Tekno and Infinity

I found something more shocking here -www.nairaland.com/2730606/shocking-experience-girl-nairaland....must-read

1 Like

Re: Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by xxxtedyxxx(m): 12:47am On Nov 12, 2015
TechRez:

The sales of Infinix Hot 2 was independently confirmed by Infinix Mobility. At the time we got the report, over 170k units of the device had left the company.

However, we will not continue to join words with you. Next time, before you insult bloggers, do your homework and run through the profile of the blogs.

Please take a seat!

ode. How does ur post confirm the question u were asked? Lol. Ur just another copy n paste blogger. Yeye

1 Like

Re: Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by encryptjay(m): 12:51am On Nov 12, 2015
You guys have said it all. Marketing has been their problem.
Re: Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by ahmadgtx: 12:55am On Nov 12, 2015
Gionee phones are ugly

1 Like

Re: Why Is Gionee Struggling In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:00am On Nov 12, 2015
encryptjay:
You guys have said it all. Marketing has been their problem.

grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Change Facebook Name Before 60 Days-trick / Browse Gmail, Google Search, Google+free On Airtel With Google Freezone / Enjoy 9mobile Awoof Data: ₦200/1GB And ₦1000/5GB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.