Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,200 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:16 PM

Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] (17000 Views)

Senate To Contractor: Stop Work On Otuoke Road Project / Ganduje In Caterpillar, Commissions A Road Project (Photos) / Amaechi Got N257bn From ECA In 2013 - Iweala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by SkyBlue1: 10:30pm On May 16, 2009
The Structure of the Ministry of Transportation (From Ministry Website)

Minister of Transport - Mrs. Diezani Allison-Madueke
Minister of State (Air) - Felix Hassan Hyat
Minister of State (Water) - Prince John Okechukwu Emeka

Now for any of us planning to do anything about the situation, perhaps such information might be helpful
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by Kobojunkie: 10:41pm On May 16, 2009
1.7 Billion dollars? So Nigeria get that kin money? WOW!!!
@Poster, how many miles/km are we talking of here. I mean with that kind money, all roads in Abuja should be taken care of for at least the next 5 years. WOW!!

I mean imagine the Federal Ministry of Education putting that kind of money towards rehabing all public schools in Nigeria. That would be awesome and there will definitely be serious change in so many places ( assuming at least 50% of the money makes it to where it ought to). grin
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by asha80(m): 10:55pm On May 16, 2009
This is the kind of thing you expect in Goatgeria.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by phantom(m): 12:13am On May 17, 2009
umaru get mental problem, I swear! 275billion for what?Even uncle rotimi proposed 125km six lane ring road complete with a cable stayed bridge,four interchanges, and eight flyovers for nigerdelta no cost reach 1billion dolls, Na wa o!
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by ayinisong: 6:03am On May 17, 2009
I don't get it. 10 lanes when there is 8 lanes already. This is sick. Come and just dualise Aba-Ikot Ekpene Road for 55bn Lagos-Onitsha 100bn, Ekparakwa-Azumini 1bn, Benin-Ore 30bn, Umuahia-Ikot Ekpene - 1bn, Onitsha-Owerri 20bn Rail line from lagos - calabar -50 bn and I bet you Nigeria will realise vision 2020. Else forget it. DREAM 2020
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by biina: 6:43am On May 17, 2009
The project is a bloody waste of money and likely just another avenue for them to siphon money into the pocket of corrupt individuals.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by bigrovar(m): 9:04am On May 17, 2009
tosh_acer:

As usual - the same people that complains nothing is done are the same people now complaining, what the hell is wrong with Nigerians?

when Nigerians say do something, we mean something that will affect the lives of the common man. every goverment administraion tries to embark on some elephant project which 1 is a wastew of money, 2 is like window dressing the core problem 3 will only benefit less than 1% of Nigerians.

I live in abuja and everybody that comes here knows that Abuja has the best roads in Nigeria. which is ok being the capital city and all. But among all the major cities HP, Kano, Lagos,Ibadan etc Abuja has the least traffic. even the current airport road as it is is not used to optimum level.

I have you tried travelling to abuja by road say from lagos? if yes that you wont have made that statement. The state of the road is an eye sore. and i have heard that its even worse in eastern Nigeria. That kind of money will serve the people better if its spent on bad roads that causes accidents that have claimed thousands of life, than polishing a read which is already better than most important roads in Nigeria , a road that will have little benefit to the lives of Nigerians
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by ikeyman00(m): 9:13am On May 17, 2009
^^^^^^

there u go!
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by Abagworo(m): 9:43am On May 17, 2009
Why can't Bonny island be linked by road to Port harcourt?Why cant the Warri,Port harcourt and Calabar seaports be upgraded?Why cant the East-West road dualisation(not 10 lanes) be actualised?why should oil money gotten from a few states be shared by all?F, k FG and their Abuja waste of our resources.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by AloyEmeka9: 11:26am On May 17, 2009

It was only a day to pick up a Good job when Unilag Accounting Graduate working as Okada Rider got killed by a trailer.

May 16, 2009 at 11:23am

His was a sublime kind of tragedy. Less than 24 hours before he was to bid unemployment goodbye and put a stop to his dangerous stop-gap routine as a commercial cyclist, otherwise called okada, a trailer crushed 35-year-old Emmanuel Aiyegbusi, a graduate of Accounting from the University of Lagos, and sent him to early grave.

It was the first working day of the week and, as it is typical in Lagos, everybody was in a hurry to get to their places of work. So as early as 6 am on Monday, the Ilo-Awela junction at the old toll gate at the Sango-Ota section of Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway was already blocked.

Scores of vehicles blared their horns desperately in their bids to get out of the snarl of traffic. Desperate workers came down from the vehicles they had boarded and hopped on commercial motorcycles that parked at the junction.

Suddenly, the driver of a container-carrying trailer descending the slope from the NITEL end of the ever busy Ilo-Awela Road lost control of the vehicle and headed towards the scores of people at the intersection, but only a few of them were conscious of the looming catastrophy. One of them was Mohammed Nureh, an okada rider who quickly jumped off his motorcycle and took to his heels. “I fell into the gutter, stood up again and ran. In the process, I sustained serious injuries. See my leg; I’m just returning from the hospital,” he said.

Like Nureh, other people at the junction saw the trailer and fled in different directions. Motorcycle and car owners abandoned their vehicles and fled for dear lives, but Aiyegbusi was not so lucky as he was caught in the melee.

“I think the driver of the trailer was also trying to avoid a serious tragedy. The human and vehicular traffic was much, so he tried to avoid them. If not, the situation would have been worse,” said Kamidu Akinbode, the Vice Chairman of the Toll Gate branch of the Commercial Motorcycle Operators Association.

It was gathered that in an attempt to avoid the crowd of people at the junction, the driver diverted the truck to the direction of oncoming vehicles and overran no fewer than five motorcycles and nine commercial vehicles. The fruck also killed Aiyegbusi and left many injured.

Hundreds of people at the scene, including those who narrowly escaped death, gathered around the truck and wailed uncontrollably as they beheld the mangled body of Aiyegbusi who only a few minutes earlier had been his lively self.

“I think he was not looking in the direction of the truck. By the time he realised what was happening, it was impossible for him to escape,” said Tosin Olude, another okada rider in the area.

Investigation conducted by Saturday Punch revealed that Aiyegbusi graduated from the Accounting Department of the University of Lagos last year.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by MrCrackles(m): 11:27am On May 17, 2009
Oh God! shocked cry
May his soul rest in peace! cry
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by AjanleKoko: 11:57am On May 17, 2009
Something is wrong with that organogram.
Skypower Catering and Hotel Services is not NAHCO.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by Kobojunkie: 12:49pm On May 17, 2009
bigrovar:

when Nigerians say do something, we mean something that will affect the lives of the common man. every goverment administraion tries to embark on some elephant project which 1 is a wastew of money, 2 is like window dressing the core problem 3 will only benefit less than 1% of Nigerians.

I live in abuja and everybody that comes here knows that Abuja has the best roads in Nigeria. which is ok being the capital city and all. But among all the major cities HP, Kano, Lagos,Ibadan etc Abuja has the least traffic. even the current airport road as it is is not used to optimum level.

I have you tried travelling to abuja by road say from lagos? if yes that you wont have made that statement. The state of the road is an eye sore. and i have heard that its even worse in eastern Nigeria. That kind of money will serve the people better if its spent on bad roads that causes accidents that have claimed thousands of life, than polishing a read which is already better than most important roads in Nigeria , a road that will have little benefit to the lives of Nigerians

I suspected as much considering last I heard, the city is still not as populated as Owerri or even Benin can boast of. So what justification is the FEDERAL ministry of transportation giving for this project? 10 Lanes in a city like abuja?
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by sashbaby(f): 1:32pm On May 17, 2009
he's trying to sell the mega city project.misplaced priority
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by toshacer: 3:21pm On May 17, 2009
blacksta:

tosh_acer

is

I_laugh/akpangboon/tombola/mosun_ade

Shitface

what a bore!
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by Nobody: 3:27pm On May 17, 2009
the road in question is not that long, and if its a case of congestion they should look at the road leading  MMI Airport lagos

besides they should consider other more efficient means of getting to the airport such as short distance surface rail
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by Kobojunkie: 3:34pm On May 17, 2009
salsera:

the road in question is not that long, and if its a case of congestion they should look at the road leading MMI Airport lagos

besides they should consider other more efficient means of getting to the airport such as short distance surface rail

Excellent suggestion! For that amount of money, I think rail would make more sense.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by Strength10: 4:03pm On May 17, 2009
It is high time we Nigerians Lifted our Banner of protest to the idiocy, stupidity and incompetence of our government. What a JOKE. Only in Nigeria. The busiest road in West Africa(Lagos-Onitsah-Enugu road) is begging for basic maintenance and even repair. Most are still single lanes and the accidents in that road remains the highest in Nigeria. And the federal government is talking about using this amount to fix an already good and manageable road in Abuja with its scanty population. We need better educated people in Nigeria to be our leaders.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by Tudor2: 5:26pm On May 17, 2009
Ah an. . . .why are you all angry? The 4 lanes to the airport are being conjested by hungry nigerians desperate to get out of this hell hole, just look at it this way, 10 lanes to the airport means 10 different ways to get the hell outta here!
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by sashbaby(f): 5:51pm On May 17, 2009
funny
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by AloyEmeka9: 6:02pm On May 17, 2009
he's trying to sell the mega city project.misplaced priority
lol
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by sbo(m): 6:07pm On May 17, 2009
Just to add a few comments

Someone needs to advise the Govt that road building is not the solution to traffic congestion. The MoT and FCT bureaucrats should be advise that you cannot build your way out of congestion. When developed economies are looking at ways of reducing traffic demand, and investing in public transport, we are still investing billions of dollars in providing uneccessary road capacity for a city with less than 1 million residents at a cost $1.7bn! Let's even accept that it is necessary, does it offer value for money? As someone noted earlier, has there been any study undertaken to see how we can make efficient use of  the existing infrastructure? Introduction of traffic management measures (such as intelligent transport systems) might just ease the congestion. That should be the first step before embarking $1.7bn road building programme.

Also, there is no doubt that we have a transport  infrastructure deficit in Nigeria. There are lots of strategic roads needing rehabilitation, and the list is endless. My suggestion to the Govt will be undertake some form of 'infratsructure audit' (i.e get a good understanding of the problems). Following this, the Govt then needs to develop an Infratsructure Plan and Program, which will prioritise how the infrastructure requirements will be delivered. The prioritisation will be based on a 'value for money' assessment framework and subjected to rigorous cost-benefit analysis. This process will ensure that only projects wth compelling 'business case' are appropriated funds in the Federal Budget. It will also create a transparent decision-making process.

For now, the whole process is totally disjointed. This will be needed sooner rather than later as move into the era of tight funding.
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by skylooh(m): 6:11pm On May 17, 2009
Misplaced priorities
what about the  lagos- benin express way that is a big death trap?
what about the accient river niger bridge at asaba? that conects the east with western nigeria which construction experts have predicted may probably colapse before the end of 2009
yara´dull is there talking of vision 2020 which he saw in his coma
hissssss
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by ikeyman00(m): 6:23pm On May 17, 2009
@@@@@@@@@@@@ post

plz lets some people stop acting and diaplayin the slowpoke reasoning plz, this is nigeria we are talkin about! the plight and the safety of nigerians should come firstly u would expect from these two-faced nlders

now forget rail project, nigeria is not about abuja, lagos and kano. Dont know about u lots, people do drive around from state to state in nigeria. At this point in time nigeria should have all their high way in tact in line with the G2020 thing.

once again how many bodies will go just due to stupidity of the Fg

once again these roads needed to scrape and tared to 4 inches in deep with drainages and safety divides in the right places

[b] Lagos-abuja

Lagos-benin-onitsha-Enugu

Lagos-north

lagos-ibadan

enugu-north via nnsuka-benue
etc

ahah rule of law-vision 2020 !!

for those of u that have travel around nigeria, know this is the ultimate[/b]
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by ikeyman00(m): 6:26pm On May 17, 2009
and again no bloody rail project till the above is done

for those that drive through lagos-benin-onitsha

u know what me talkin about, people die like chicken in that route

how many more bodies

VERY VERY SAD WHEN THESE PEOPLE CHOSE TO CONTINUE FOOLING THEIRSELVES!
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by ikeyman00(m): 6:29pm On May 17, 2009
SBO
Someone needs to advise the Govt that road building is not the solution to traffic congestion. The MoT and FCT bureaucrats should be advise that you cannot build your way out of congestion. When developed economies are looking at ways of reducing traffic demand, and investing in public transport, we are still investing billions of dollars in providing uneccessary road capacity for a city with less than 1 million residents at a cost $1.7bn! Let's even accept that it is necessary, does it offer value for money? As someone noted earlier, has there been any study undertaken to see how we can make efficient use of  the existing infrastructure? Introduction of traffic management measures (such as intelligent transport systems) might just ease the congestion. That should be the first step before embarking $1.7bn road building programme.

YES em i think u are right,however fix your road first, so that the north can travel down to east, the east can travel down north, the south ,west etc without lost of live and with ease
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by babake2020: 6:38pm On May 17, 2009
H E L L O ! [/color])[color=#770077])[size=16pt][/size]
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by richjohn1(m): 7:44am On May 18, 2009
I've given up on Nigeria long ago sad
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by AloyEmeka9: 7:50am On May 18, 2009
I've given up on Nigeria long ago
Did you also give up all your landed properties? wink wink wink
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by RichyBlacK(m): 7:59am On May 18, 2009
rich_john:

I've given up on Nigeria long ago sad

[size=18pt]Nigeria surely has the most useless government in the world![/size]
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by mbulela: 8:12am On May 18, 2009
as much as i find the idea of a 10 lane road in abuja senseless, the part that got me worried is the part where he tries to tie this road project with vision 20-20. i really don't get it?is this guy insane?we really need some indepth analysis of the nigerian political leadership system.
how does such a slowpoke (for lack of a better word, i am just not being insulting for the sake of it) get to the position that he presently occupies?
why are there no checks that can ensure that even when crooks get to position of power at least they are intelligent men and women?
on this same note, have you ever listend to Orji Uzor Kalu speak?
how much sense does he make?
on a related note,it is obvious from the comments on this thread that Nigerians are not idiot and without thinking for longer than 60 seconds, lots of folks are coming up with better ways of spending that amount of money and easily pointing out all that is wrong with this project.
My question then is, how come the entire executive cabinet and the horde of advisers and special advisers can offer no better advice on the stupidity of this project and better ways of spending this money?
is there something about power in Nigeria that makes seemingly intelligent men and women lose their thinking ability?
don't tell me about this being an avenue to launder money. who tells you that there is no avenue to launder money if you fix lagos-ore road? or fix lagos-ibadan road?or onitsha-benin road?
something more severe is fundamentally wrong and every right thinking Nigerian should be worried and afraid.i mean very afraid!!!
still tell me, what has this road got to do with vision 20-20
Re: Abuja’s 10-lane Road Project To Gulp N257bn[$1.7BN] by toshacer: 8:46am On May 18, 2009
apart from political and ethinically motivated reasons, no one has given any sensible reason why it is wrong to build this road apart from people who think it should be spent on food because we are a bunch of hungry people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Bomb Defused In Imo / "My Stressful PVC Registration Experience In Lagos, INEC Not Ready" - Lady / Osinbajo Says Nigeria’s Problem Isn’t Restructuring

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.