Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:00 AM

In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice (3376 Views)

I’m In A Serious Dilemma. I Think My Car Key Has Been Duplicated. / Please Advice: What Car Should I Buy For Mom ? / Pro And Con Of Golf 4 Please Advice With Your Experience !!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by ife01(m): 10:01pm On Nov 11, 2015
I've been in a bit of dilemma as per the brand of car to acquire. I call it unnecessary because I don't think getting a car should be as tedious and difficult as it has been for me.

A major reason for this dilemma again is my budget which is 100k less than 1m.

Now, I am not a fan of all these pencil, tiny/envelope light and the rest. Car just doesn't appeal to me. Unfortunately this is what people around, my budget and the market has been getting me.

On the other hand, I have also seen cars like Nissan Altima 05, Mazda tribute 02 and other variants which 'people' especially my 'Kazeem' has been condemning in terms of expensive parts, high cost of maintenance, reliability and durability et al..

I want to rely on experts and users opinion on here... Kindly come to my aid and advise sincerely.

Thanks
Re: In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:35pm On Nov 11, 2015
Your kazeem is right. Don't go near those cars.
Re: In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by DGD1(m): 10:57pm On Nov 11, 2015
if you could push the cash to about 1.3/1.5m u would av beta options.

pencil is real worth 4 ur hard earned money in nigeria
Re: In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by ife01(m): 11:11pm On Nov 11, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
Your kazeem is right. Don't go near those cars.

Thanks.
Vox populi
Re: In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by ife01(m): 11:18pm On Nov 11, 2015
DGD1:

Gracias
Re: In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by sultaan(m): 2:13am On Nov 12, 2015
If you are buying the car for your mechanic is ok but if it for you but what you like and can afford

2 Likes

Re: In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by ife01(m): 7:21am On Nov 12, 2015
sultaan:
If you are buying the car for your mechanic is ok but if it for you but what you like and can afford

Hmmm, meaning there's no point seeking for advice?
Re: In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by earthrealm(m): 8:39am On Nov 12, 2015
ife01:
I've been in a bit of dilemma as per the brand of car to acquire. I call it unnecessary because I don't think getting a car should be as tedious and difficult as it has been for me.

Now, I am not a fan of all these pencil, tiny/envelope light and the rest. Car just doesn't appeal to me. Unfortunately this is what people around, my budget and the market has been getting me.

On the other hand, I have also seen cars like Nissan Altima 05, Mazda tribute 02 and other variants which 'people' especially my 'Kazeem' has been condemning in terms of expensive parts, high cost of maintenance, reliability and durability et al..

I want to rely on experts and users opinion on here... Kindly come to my aid and advise sincerely.

Thanks

only buy such vehicles if you have access to original parts from usa, cos thier parts arent common, and quite expensive in nigeria..
Re: In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by ogawisdom(m): 3:00pm On Nov 12, 2015
It's ur first car n nt ur last, start with sth u can afford to buy n maintain easily and grow from there. With 900k ur best bet is pencil light, toks 1999 camry

If u can save up to 1.6m ur options will increase may b u will go for corolla/highlander 2003/2004 or Lexus rx 300 and feel some luxury tongue

1 Like

Re: In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by BTT(m): 10:34am On Nov 13, 2015
ife01:

Hmmm, meaning there's no point seeking for advice?

See Ife01, as far as Nigerians are concerned, it is ok even if you steal provided you are going to buy a Toyota brand with it.

You don't have to push yourself to buy what interests others. For me, the biggest push for buying a Toyota would be the availability of market whenever you decide to sell it off later in its lifetime no matter how badly scrapped you and your 'Kazeem' have made it.

With your budget as it is, you can get quite a couple of great cars. Maybe, the Altima and Tribute are not ok (this opinion based solely on my conclusion of what Gazzuzz -someone whose auto opinion I strongly trust- posted above).

I would recommend the Nissan Primera if you ask me, but you see Ife, the decision is yours.

Make up your mind, armed with the conviction that you will live with the consequences of that decision, buy what you please. This principle always makes life easier when faced with such a quandary as yours.

Cheers bruv.

2 Likes

Re: In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by phnibeogu: 12:30pm On Nov 13, 2015
DGD1:

whats the best to buy at 1.3/4... please dont tell me corrola and camry, i can do civic or any other good car
Re: In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by sultaan(m): 5:55pm On Nov 13, 2015
Now finally a good option, the Civic is a good car
Re: In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by ife01(m): 6:35pm On Nov 13, 2015
BTT:

See Ife01, as far as Nigerians are concerned, it is ok even if you steal provided you are going to buy a Toyota brand with it.

You don't have to push yourself to buy what interests others. For me, the biggest push for buying a Toyota would be the availability of market whenever you decide to sell it off later in its lifetime no matter how badly scrapped you and your 'Kazeem' have made it.

With your budget as it is, you can get quite a couple of great cars. Maybe, the Altima and Tribute are not ok (this opinion based solely on my conclusion of what Gazzuzz -someone whose auto opinion I strongly trust- posted above).

I would recommend the Nissan Primera if you ask me, but you see Ife, the decision is yours.

Make up your mind, armed with the conviction that you will live with the consequences of that decision, buy what you please. This principle always makes life easier when faced with such a quandary as yours.

Cheers bruv.

Quite appreciate this.
Re: In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by DGD1(m): 11:14pm On Nov 13, 2015
phnibeogu:

whats the best to buy at 1.3/4... please dont tell me corrola and camry, i can do civic or any other good car

Honda cars r good, d civic or accord is nt bad. you can get an EOD within that range or toyota's luxury : d lexus ES300(d one similar to big daddy) or a solara

yuh could also consider cr-v, rav4, etc

1 Like

Re: In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by Coldplay007(f): 3:11pm On Nov 14, 2015
BMW E39 525i and your life will never remain the same. Check out the NL BMW thread and ask to be added to the whatsapp group.
Wish I could join the group too but my Oga no gree. Been driving the car for 6 months now, best car I ever owned.
Re: In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:17pm On Nov 14, 2015
Coldplay007:
BMW E39 525i and your life will never remain the same. Check out the NL BMW thread and ask to be added to the whatsapp group.
Wish I could join the group too but my Oga no gree. Been driving the car for 6 months now, best car I ever owned.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3073842_img20151112wa016_jpeg08cde8507db4262814aff8890fc59652 it's all in your head tongue

2 Likes

Re: In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by ife01(m): 7:34pm On Nov 14, 2015
Re: In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by Coldplay007(f): 8:06pm On Nov 14, 2015
Re: In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by kennybabs1980: 8:18pm On Nov 14, 2015
Bros, what about 96-2000 Benz C 180 or 220, have you considered that also, you may even collect some change from your 900k
Re: In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by phnibeogu: 3:57pm On Nov 20, 2015
DGD1:

Honda cars r good, d civic or accord is nt bad. you can get an EOD within that range or toyota's luxury : d lexus ES300(d one similar to big daddy) or a solara

yuh could also consider cr-v, rav4, etc

thanks a lot, can i include Mitsubishi outlander to the cuv list? cos i love that more than those two you mentioned is it good? 2005 and 2007 models?
Re: In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by 9icetoo(m): 5:48pm On Nov 20, 2015
OP, it is your first car. You have a budget of 900k and you may not have a lot more to spend if something goes awry. You wouldn't want your first car to sleep in a mechanic workshop for two months or more because you couldn't afford a part or worse still couldn't find a part all becuase you tried to stand out from the crowd.

Based on the above reasons, I will advise you as a nairalander to buy a car known first for its reliability, ease of sourcing parts, diagnosing issues and pocket friendly. Forget effizy for now. Its time shall come when you have the resources.

A lot of young Nigerian chaps buy the corolla or the camry because of the reasons i stated in the first paragraph. The honda accord and civic also fall into this category. The civic is not so practical because of its lower ground clearance. It gets roughed up quite easily unless you have good roads where you stay.

Another car you can probably give a try is the 3 series BMW. You can give the 318i a try if fuel economy is your concern but if not you can try out the 330i or other engine choices available. Chicks love beemers (I can testify to this. lol). It is not as pricey to repair or as difficult to diagnose as some other European cars out there.

You can also check out the Audi A4 or the sporty looking A3 hatchback. I have never used the Audi though I have a Skoda (owned by the same group that owns Audi), I can say they are ok but beware of electrical issues. They can be a nightmare if not well taken care of (Siena no vex oo). The Audi A4 may be within ur reach based on your budget.

However, like I said earlier, make your choice based on your circumstances. You wouldn't want your first car to empty you bank account just because you want to stand out.

1 Like

Re: In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:17pm On Nov 20, 2015
9icetoo:
OP, it is your first car. You have a budget of 900k and you may not have a lot more to spend if something goes awry. You wouldn't want your first car to sleep in a mechanic workshop for two months or more because you couldn't afford a part or worse still couldn't find a part all becuase you tried to stand out from the crowd.

Based on the above reasons, I will advise you as a nairalander to buy a car known first for its reliability, ease of sourcing parts, diagnosing issues and pocket friendly. Forget effizy for now. Its time shall come when you have the resources.

A lot of young Nigerian chaps buy the corolla or the camry because of the reasons i stated in the first paragraph. The honda accord and civic also fall into this category. The civic is not so practical because of its lower ground clearance. It gets roughed up quite easily unless you have good roads where you stay.

Another car you can probably give a try is the 3 series BMW. You can give the 318i a try if fuel economy is your concern but if not you can try out the 330i or other engine choices available. Chicks love beemers (I can testify to this. lol). It is not as pricey to repair or as difficult to diagnose as some other European cars out there.

You can also check out the Audi A4 or the sporty looking A3 hatchback. I have never used the Audi though I have a Skoda (owned by the same group that owns Audi), I can say they are ok but beware of electrical issues. They can be a nightmare if not well taken care of (Siena no vex oo). The Audi A4 may be within ur reach based on your budget.

However, like I said earlier, make your choice based on your circumstances. You wouldn't want your first car to empty you bank account just because you want to stand out.

Wise words.
Re: In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by Jazzlite: 3:22am On Nov 21, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Wise words.
no original cont3bution?
Re: In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by luvinhubby(m): 5:27am On Nov 21, 2015
Re: In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by luvinhubby(m): 5:32am On Nov 21, 2015
ife01:

Thanks
That amount can get a decent Nigeria used vehicle for you.
And considering our state of roads, availability and affordability of parts, maitainance & fuel consumption, Honda or Toyota will be your best option.
A CRV or RAV4 if you ask me.
Re: In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by corpux: 1:36pm On Nov 21, 2015
Re: In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by Nobody: 3:15pm On Nov 21, 2015
Am in same dilemma with u Bro.
I need to buy a classy Car for my wife, my budget is 1.4mil but i dont know which brand to go 4. undecided
Fellow NL help me decide pls
Re: In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by BayoJoe: 7:22pm On Nov 21, 2015
B
Eco2580:
Am in same dilemma with u Bro.
I need to buy a classy Car for my wife, my budget is 1.4mil but i dont know which brand to go 4. undecided
Fellow NL help me decide pls

Bros, beta get a clue of what your wifey will like. Don't try this surprise thing that will lead to "...I don't really like the car".

1 Like

Re: In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by sultaan(m): 8:40pm On Nov 21, 2015
Classy @ N1.4m

Be careful
Re: In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by Nobody: 10:01pm On Nov 21, 2015
BayoJoe:
B

Bros, beta get a clue of what your wifey will like. Don't try this surprise thing that will lead to "...I don't really like the car".
Thank you sir
Am thinkin of Corolla S or C240
Re: In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by nnamdibig(m): 10:22pm On Nov 21, 2015
OP, 99-00 Mercedes Benz C180-C230 is the best car you can get at that price........ My opinion sha
Re: In An Unnecessary Dilemma... Please Advice by itemj2k(m): 7:46am On Nov 22, 2015
Op buy a 2000 model c-class the face lift model. C180 or C200

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is The Difference Between These Number Plates? / Which SUV Should I Go For With A Budget Of #2M / Help Me Choose Between Honda Accord 03-08 And Honda Pilot 03-06

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.