Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,626 members, 7,813,055 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:54 AM

I Took A Second Wife To Avert Impending Scandal - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Took A Second Wife To Avert Impending Scandal (10977 Views)

I Took Her In And She Seduced My Husband / I Took Her In And She Seduced My Husband / Married As A Second Wife For Child-Bearing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Took A Second Wife To Avert Impending Scandal by JJYOU: 2:48pm On May 16, 2009
nigerians are very funny it is unbelievable. just read the replies and comment section if you cant read this guy.

[size=18pt]'I took a second wife to avert impending scandal’[/size]
By ADEOLA BALOGUN
Published: Saturday, 16 May 2009

Popular Islamic singer and President of Islamic Musician Association of Nigeria, Alhaji Wasiu Sidiq, talks about his music career and explains why he took a second wife in this interview with ADEOLA BALOGUN. What does it take to be an Islamic singer? To be an Islamic singer, talent should be the number one thing. Number two is a solid knowledge of the religion and the Quran. Acquiring western education in addition would be a big plus. As far as I am concerned, these are the basic things for someone to be an Islamic singer.
Skip to next paragraph
click to expand image
Adeola Balogun

Wasiu Sidiq

How did you get into it?

I think it was the will of the almighty Allah, because I had an National Diploma in Mass Communication from the Ogun State Polytechnic. I can say the MSS (Muslim Students Society) discovered me, because during my secondary school days, the society used to organise various activities among various schools where various events like quiz, debate and Quranic competitions took place. From there, I discovered that I had a talent for Islamic music. On account of that, I was advised by a Muslim brother to form a band, which I did in the 80s and called it The Voice of Islamic Charity. The likes of Alhaji Abdullahi Akinbode and Alhaji Wahab Falowo were reigning then, and I can say they are my mentors.

So you started singing while in secondary school?

Yes, I started in secondary school. Then, I was singing for various Islamic organisations like the MSS, Young Muslim Progressive Association of Nigeria and so on. But I ventured fully into music after I finished my diploma programme in the polytechnic, and that was 1988/89.

Since then, you have not gone back for your HND. Why?

I decided to change my course and do a degree in Islamic Studies instead. You know I told you that I read Mass Communication for my ND. I intend to go to the Lagos State University this year, even though I had been trying to do that for a couple of years without success because of music. Though it is not going to be easy, I will try and do that.

Why did you study Mass Communication for your your diploma?

I was an art student in secondary school. Moreover, I wanted to become a journalist. To be specific, a broadcaster.

These days, there are so many people who want to be Islamic singers. Why is it so?

It is because it has become a very lucrative venture. Trust Nigerians, wherever they find money, everyone will want to be a part of the crowd.

When you started, was it lucrative?

No, it was not. There was no money. I remember that I did not get a kobo for the first five albums that I waxed. In fact, my first album, I sponsored it myself. I paid for the studio, did everything, and at the end of the day, I didn‘t get anything in return.

And you were not discouraged?

I was not, but at a certain stage, I wanted to give up. Then, a brother in Islam called me to boost my morale. I can easily recollect that the first album launch that I organised, nobody turned up, either as guests or the audience, I didn‘t see anybody. You know as a young boy, I felt so bad but the brother told me that the downfall of a man was not the end of his life. He said I should not look at it that way, that one day, I would look back and thank God.

So far, you have how many albums?

Today, I have about 20 albums.

Some people say they get inspiration to sing when they are asleep. In your own case, where do you get inspiration?

Like I told you earlier on, to be a musician, you must first of all have the talent, then after that, everything else follows. There are various categories of musicians. There are those who can not compose on their own. They hire producers who package the music for them. But for the mere fact that they have the talent, they will be able to present whatever that the producers package for them. But on my own, I am a composer, a producer and a musician, all rolled into one. I do everything on my own and I compose when I am alone. Inspirations come at times when I am in the toilet or at a secluded place or even asleep. I have a recorder which I carry about everywhere and immediately I receive inspiration, I quickly record it before it flies away. And if the recorder is out of reach, I put it down in writing.

You seem to be versed in the Quran too, when did you learn it?

Well, you may see it that way but I think I am more versed in western education than in Islamic knowledge. I spent more of my time pursuing western education, though I have a basic knowledge of the religion.

People have accused Islamic singers of copying Fuji music…

I have always told people that the message in our music is very important. The problem is that the origin of Fuji is Were, a genre of music sung during the Ramadan. It was Were that metamorphosed into Fuji. To distinguish our music, you have to listen to the message, because there is no instrument we are using that Fuji musicians are not using. Not all Fuji musicians are praising Allah. Not all of them are passing a message. Ours is message-based, and that is the hallmark.

Is it even correct to assume that the thought of making money is the motivating factor for venturing into Islamic music?

They all work together. When I started Islamic music, it was not because of wealth. But at present, it may be difficult not to think about wealth, because it looks very lucrative now, once the musician knows his onions.

Alhaji Akinbode used to be the leading Islamic musician around, but all of a sudden, he dropped all that and some people say he did so because it is against the tenets of Islam to sing and drum…

What happened is that Alhaji Akinbode dropped out of active music because of his involvement with NASFAT where he is the missioner. He is the one that leads the huge congregation every week, and you don‘t expect the same man to still be active in the music industry.

Where would one find your fan base?

You would find my fan base among the youth, market women, everywhere.

Where did you grow up?

I grew up in Mushin and Agege in Lagos.

Ironically, these two places are synonymous with thuggery. How was life in Mushin?

I was very young when I left Mushin. I had my primary school education there and I went to secondary school in Agege. I left Agege when I was in class three. You can see that I may not be able to describe what life was in Mushin.

You are married to an equally popular Islamic singer. Was it music that brought you together?

It was not music that brought us together. We attended the same secondary school. It is wrong to think that it was music that brought us together. In fact, it was after I got married to her that I saw the talent in her and I helped her to nurture it. She has the talent, no doubt. I formed the band for her and I support her in every aspect. She was my junior in secondary school when we started courting.

And you courted for how many years?

Almost seven years.

People are surprised that despite the closeness between you, you still have another wife…

We are close, no doubt, but as a Muslim, I think I am allowed to have more than one wife. And I believe you will agree with me that it is better I have a wife than keep concubines. Being a musician, women would want to get close, and if you are not very careful, you can fall into temptation.

I am sure your senior wife did not find it funny when you brought in another wife. How did you manage the crisis?

All marriages have their ups and downs. But I thank God, Allah is in control.

Are you saying that it is easy to keep two women under the same roof?

They are not living under the same roof. That might be suicidal, because women will always be women.

Did you set out to have a second wife or you got involved in an affair that later led to marriage?

She used to be my back-up singer. When I found that the situation might become scandalous, I decided to marry her.

Some people said you had to take another wife because your first wife had a challenge with child bearing.

That is a lie. This is not the first time I am hearing it, but I am telling you it is baseless because I have male and female children from her.

There was this rumour that the likes of Ayeloyun and Labaika have run you out of the scene.

That is baseless as well. It is expected that new artistes will always come on the scene, and that does not mean that their entry will run out the existing ones. The ones you mentioned are just new artistes, and as their albums are selling, mine are also selling. There is no problem between us.

Why then are Ayeloyun and Labaika always fighting?

They are not fighting. It is not true. But you know, fans are our greatest problems. What is happening in all genres of music is also happening here. Ayeloyun is from Ilorin, Labaika is from Ilorin, so why should they be fighting and over what? I am the president of the Islamic Musicians Association of Nigeria, and I think I am in a better position to tell you that.

What new things are you bringing in your forthcoming album?

You know in my last album, Tani, I introduced hip hop and it sold like hot cake. I am bringing in something new.

But people believe that Islam is conservative…

It depends on what you mean by conservatism. I am a musician and I know what I am doing. I have a reason for introducing innovations. When I introduced hip hop into Islamic music, the message sank and the album was a complete sell out. In the coming one, I am infusing another thing which will blow the minds of Muslims. The aim is to win more souls for Allah through Islamic music. If that is all I achieve, I am glad.

Comments:

* @sesan ayo,innovations are not allowed on the fundamentals of the Islamic faith as those fundamentals are applicable to all places and time.God is Most Merciful and is most understanding of our genuine situations,problems we have in Islam stems from interpretation by scholars and most of these interpretations are influenced by individual scholar`s environment.The Quran and the authentic Hadiths are enough as guides,spiritual and inspirational songs are not classified as haram in the Quran.

Posted by: abdulrafiu , on Saturday, May 16, 2009

Report this comment

* Tutu we are NIGERIANs NOT OYINBO. secondly, though I am a Christian I don`t believe that a man cannot marry more than one wife. David married so many and Solomon the same.and if you read you bible properly its only compulsory for priest and pastors to marry one wife. I am married to one wife becos I cannot cope with the trouble that comes with polygamy and though the Koran allows four Wives. It states that " its better to marry one if only you know" we are not Arabs or OYINBO and we can decide

Posted by: kayode Banjo (uk)&(Nig) , on Saturday, May 16, 2009

Report this comment

* Tutu, It is permissible to marry a woman for her BEAUTY, WEALTH or RELIGION. The best being the last one. Whilst the initial relationship was illicit, It can be said that he retraced his steps. I think marrying the lady was better than keeping her as a bit on the side. The place of music and cigarette, yes cigarette are debatable in Islam. Everything is halal unless Allah says it is haram. Also avoid things that impair your prayers such as strong liquor and dirt.

Posted by: O12 , on Saturday, May 16, 2009

Report this comment

* bidiah (innovations)in any form is not allowed in islam in whatever manner; music, prayers etc. Did u really asked Alh Akinbode why he stopped singing? Anyway we should be conscious of whatever we say, May Allah 4give us all,

Posted by: sesan ayo , on Saturday, May 16, 2009

Report this comment

* Tutu: Basically you're senseless. To say more will be to water down the fact that you're senseless. All you dirty hypocrites have lovers and concubines in numerous numbers but hypocritically, you are always at the fore-front of preaching monogamy. think deeply, which will please God more. To have sexual intecourse with your neighbours wife is one of the greates sins in God's books. God is so wonderful cuz he slaps people like you by making your useless husbands marry your dirty househelps.

Posted by: Jason , on Saturday, May 16, 2009

Report this comment

* I am not judging you for taking a second wife sir since it is allowed in Islam, but you could have explained what happened in this way. you took a second wife to legalise your adultery. You were cheating on your wife and decided to marry the woman to avoid scandal and save your profession. The kind of love you have for your wife is what i call uncommon.

Posted by: Tutu , on Friday, May 15, 2009
http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2009051611281559

(1) (Reply)

What Will You Do When Your Daughter Starts To Date? / Would You Tell Your Spouse You Cheated If The Lord Asks You To? / Is It Compulsor For A Woman To Know How To Cook? Would You Marry One Who Doen't?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.