Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,317 members, 7,860,765 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 03:49 PM

Africans, Why Are You Christian? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Africans, Why Are You Christian? (747 Views)

Oyakhilome Consoles South Africans Over Synagogue Collapse / Did Reinhard Bonnke Actually Help Africans? *MUST READ!!!* / The Original Hebrews Are Black Africans From Ancient Egypt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Africans, Why Are You Christian? by ezeagu(m): 9:24pm On May 16, 2009
Not my video, but my same question.
[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuJ1WfbQi0c&hl=en&fs=1">[/flash]
Re: Africans, Why Are You Christian? by huxley(m): 11:28pm On May 16, 2009
Great Video and Great Question.
Re: Africans, Why Are You Christian? by PastorAIO: 10:39am On May 17, 2009
Good Question! Yeah, most Africa cultures that I'm aware of have always been monotheistic.

Without doubt christianity has been used as a tool for imperialism.

Last sunday Chinua Achebe talked on tele about how it was done and how in the mission schools they were made to feel that their parents were inferior and igbo culture was wrong.
http://www.itv.com/PressCentre/TheSouthBankShow/Ep6AchebeandAdichieWk20/default.html

However another very important question is whether religion is just merely a CULTURAL ARTIFACT or whether it is based on a more universal reality beyond culture.
If it is just cultural then you should practice your religion as an affirmation of your culture.
If it is more than cultural then it is important to explore what it is that gave rise to religion and why.
Re: Africans, Why Are You Christian? by tpaine: 10:57am On May 17, 2009
Pastor AIO:

Good Question! Yeah, most Africa cultures that I'm aware of have always been monotheistic.

Without doubt christianity has been used as a tool for imperialism.

Last sunday Chinua Achebe talked on tele about how it was done and how in the mission schools they were made to feel that their parents were inferior and igbo culture was wrong.
http://www.itv.com/PressCentre/TheSouthBankShow/Ep6AchebeandAdichieWk20/default.html

However another very important question is whether religion is just merely a CULTURAL ARTIFACT or whether it is based on a more universal reality beyond culture.
If it is just cultural then you should practice your religion as an affirmation of your culture.
If it is more than cultural then it is important to explore what it is that gave rise to religion and why.

Really, I was not aware of that. I thought that most African religions were polytheistic in nature. At least from my culture, our traditional supernatural beliefs were founded on ancestral and animistic "god" or dieties. And having read Achebe extensively as a teenager, this appears to be true of the Igbos as well. But then again, societies evolve and adopt and discards gods as they see fit.

I get a feeling that underlying this post is the idea the monotheism is "superior" to polytheism. Do you agree with that?
Re: Africans, Why Are You Christian? by PastorAIO: 11:22am On May 17, 2009
tpaine:

Really, I was not aware of that. I thought that most African religions were polytheistic in nature. At least from my culture, our traditional supernatural beliefs were founded on ancestral and animistic "god" or dieties. And having read Achebe extensively as a teenager, this appears to be true of the Igbos as well. But then again, societies evolve and adopt and discards gods as they see fit.

I get a feeling that underlying this post is the idea the monotheism is "superior" to polytheism. Do you agree with that?

No, I don't think monotheism is superior to polytheism or the issue of superiority comes into it at all. Something is either true or it isn't.

Most african societies believe that the world is populated by many spirits. Yet a distinction is made between the various spirits. What do you define as God. If as God you mean a primal cause, creator of all that exists, material and spiritual then Africans believe in one God. That is not to say they do not believe in the existence of other spirits. That is not to say they have not devised ways to engage and propitiate these other spirits. But is it the act of propitiation that makes them gods? If that is the definition of a diety, a being that is propitiated, then your Boss at work is also a god.

If however a god is to be defined simply as a spiritual being then christianity too is polytheistic because it too is full of spiritual beings.
In african societies the worship of a High God is not cultic. Rather cults are devised to engage with other spiritual forces, whether ancestral or otherwise.
Re: Africans, Why Are You Christian? by Nignog: 1:07pm On May 17, 2009
To get the hos of course
Re: Africans, Why Are You Christian? by ezeagu(m): 2:40pm On May 17, 2009
Thanks all for replying.
Re: Africans, Why Are You Christian? by Nignog: 10:18pm On May 17, 2009
Santa Claus bring me lots of good gifts and i get to hav reason 4 not goin 2 work bsides not hav job
Re: Africans, Why Are You Christian? by ezeagu(m): 7:43pm On May 18, 2009
Nignog:

Santa Claus bring me lots of good gifts and i get to hav reason 4 not goin 2 work bsides not hav job

Exactly my point, thats not Christianity. . . . . . . . .
Re: Africans, Why Are You Christian? by ezeagu(m): 7:44pm On May 18, 2009
Nignog:

BTW why is your name NigNog?
Re: Africans, Why Are You Christian? by Nignog: 3:41am On May 19, 2009
ezeagu:

BTW why is your name NigNog?
Cause dats what me mamma put on my certifcate of birth.
i like de santa claus an de easter rabbit 4 de good candy
Re: Africans, Why Are You Christian? by Backslider(m): 9:53am On May 20, 2009
We Africans should be the greatest of all christians. Looks like The first has become the last because African church is the oldest.

WHO PREACHED TO THE COPTIC CHRISTIANS OF EGYPT?
OR WHAT OF THE CHURCHES OF ETHIOPIA?
HOW OLD IS THE CHURCH OF ETHIOPIA

THE ACCOUNT OF PHILIP PREACHING TO THE ETHIOPIAN EUNUCH GIVES GRACE TO THE FACT THAT THE ETHIOPIAN FOUND CHRIST AND WENT BACK TO HIS PEOPLE AND HAD EFFECT ON ETHIOPIA.

OR IF ANYONE CAN SCHOOL ME ON WETHER ETHIOPIA WAS EVER COLONIZED BY ANY ONE OR WHO BROUGHT CHRISTIANITY TO THEM I AM READY TO LEARN.

(1) (Reply)

Does The Devil Deserve A Fair Hearing? / What Is The Most Wicked Act Capable Of Being Committed? / And So What About Pastor Ighodalo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.