Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,522 members, 7,958,585 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 06:07 PM

No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness (17310 Views)

EFCC Detains Tunde Ayeni, Ex Skye Bank Chairman, Over N1bn Bribe To Ex-fct Minis / Report Indicts NCAA, MTN Over N1bn Fine / NAFDAC Slams N1bn Fine On Guinness For ‘re-validating Expired Raw Materials’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by manny4life(m): 10:11pm On Nov 13, 2015
johhnnie:

If u know how much these multinationals repatriate in terms of profit from Nigeria, you will be dazed.

They should be made to respect the life of every Nigeria citizen. Just go to the US and approach the govt that u want to open ordinary water bottling coy. .....

This is a signal and a message that there is a new sheriff in town !

And they would sooner or later find another way to exploit more money (the legal gray area) from Nigerians because the fine has to be paid one way or another.

In the U.S., the only companies that I know of that have been fined to the tune of billions of $$$ are mostly banks with hundreds of billions of $$$ in assets. I may well be wrong BUT I have not heard of a beverage or beer company fined billions, then again, like I said, I may be wrong.
Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by Mrlekan07034617: 10:12pm On Nov 13, 2015
If guinness does not go along with the fine, let them go to court!!
Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by symbianDON(m): 10:18pm On Nov 13, 2015
manny4life:

Okay, it seems like you missed the point I was trying to make. I am NOT supporting their violating practices, I'm only concerned at the fines.
grin grin ok bro.....let's hope at the end the fine can be negotiated to something agreeable.
Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by Growingboi(m): 10:31pm On Nov 13, 2015
kayjasper:
Pathetic Guiness!!!

They are not even trying to disprove the allegations.

That they revalidate expired products and their store for raw materials is exposed to rodents which carry various diseases.!!!

Guiness is busy fighting over the amount of money or the legality when the weighty accusations is not addressed.

[size=14pt] That's Obviously a Guilty Verdict For Guiness [/size]

What's this one saying

Someone should please explain the meaning of 'Ode' to him

2 Likes

Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by ncoolsome(m): 10:32pm On Nov 13, 2015
kingzx0:
Govt regulatory bodies forming busy body this period; first it was MTN, now Guinness. Who's next?

U r wrong..1st it was the banks then mtn,then....
Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by GOVERNMEMT1(m): 10:48pm On Nov 13, 2015
I hope dis apc government are not to shot down nigeria beweries on a useless. Basis why is it now that nafdac have to weak up from their sleep GOD help naija
Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by Nobody: 11:10pm On Nov 13, 2015
Mtn, standbic ibtc and now guiness, I guess this year's budget deficit would be recovered from fines, first bank and skye bank already had their share.
But then most businesses are already groaning under the harsh economic condition and cost of doing business, further fines would only assist in sending them under.
Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by kayjasper(f): 11:12pm On Nov 13, 2015
Growingboi:

What's this one saying

Someone should please explain the meaning of 'Ode' to him

I need not say much to you, your name says it all.......Grow Up Boy.

1 Like

Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by tbaba1234: 11:18pm On Nov 13, 2015
manny4life:

I have not said companies shouldn't obey the law of the land; I haven't supported the violators either. MTN may have agreed to pay it, after all do they have a choice? What I am saying is the heavy-handed penalties is a bad signal for business. At this rate, an emerging economy such as Nigeria will face a downward growth of investment.

All the government needs to do to encourage investment is to create the enabling environment. Nigeria is a great market for any investor.
Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by tbaba1234: 11:26pm On Nov 13, 2015
manny4life:

And they would sooner or later find another way to exploit more money (the legal gray area) from Nigerians because the fine has to be paid one way or another.

In the U.S., the only companies that I know of that have been fined to the tune of billions of $$$ are mostly banks with hundreds of billions of $$$ in assets. I may well be wrong BUT I have not heard of a beverage or beer company fined billions, then again, like I said, I may be wrong.

Big tobacco in the US was fined $206 billion.
BP $4 billion
GlaxoSmithKline $3 billion
Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by emzila(m): 11:30pm On Nov 13, 2015
eaglechild:
Buhari will soon chase away all the foreign investors.
AND WHO SAY THE IGBOS ARE NOT READY TO SQUEEZE OUT BITTER LEAVE WATER, TURN IT INSIDE BOTTLE, ADD LITTLE SALT PLUS SUGAR AND CALL IT STOUT? ABA KWENU!!
Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by Nobody: 11:31pm On Nov 13, 2015
kingzx0:
Govt regulatory bodies forming busy body this period; first it was MTN, now Guinness. Who's next?

Skye bank
Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by uridadole: 11:49pm On Nov 13, 2015
politricks:
Are you in this country at all or didn't you hear of MTN's fine?
Buhari is performing his regukatory duty. No prison for eering companies. Their punishment is fine. Maintain best practices and standards, that's all.
Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by ogene007: 12:07am On Nov 14, 2015
braimeddy:

Source
NAFDAC were simply dancing to the gallery and succeeded only in embarrassing themselves. We are obviously in the season of sycophancy with most of the heads of these MDAs trying to warm their way towards PMB. Our advice to them is for them to quit embarrassing themselves and Nigerians at large.
Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by mikolo80: 12:10am On Nov 14, 2015
Kx:
[size=18pt]No legal basis for fines/sanctions by an organ/department of the government but there is a legal basis for unethical practices of re-validating substandard and expired products for profit making purposes by a private firm right?[/size]
did they have legal document that states they can fine companies arbitrarily?
you go school na
at least pretend you go school
if you drive anyhow police Will fine you so and so amount
not pull a number out of their asss
same with nafdac
if to say you drink stout vomit con sue dem, court com award you damages na different story

1 Like

Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by superstar1(m): 12:56am On Nov 14, 2015
These coys have taken Nigeria for long.
Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by saopauloman(m): 1:04am On Nov 14, 2015
ikechukwu354:
I know this doesn't agree to the thread but matters but

Its no longer news hearing the ongoing protests in various part of the SE by the IPOB youths. In as much as I'm of the SE extraction, I want my fellow South Easterners to be rational and objective in their thinking. Biafra shouldn't be our priority now.
The reasons why I'm of the opinion that Biafra shouldn't be our priority are:
1. Most powerful Igbos leaders are against it: Those of us with strong memories would agree with me that Nnamdi Kanu isn't the first person to follow this path.
Years ago during Obasanjo's administration, Mr Ralph Uwazurike the leader of MASSOB attempted something similar. What was the result...he spent years locked up in an underground cell, his members were jailed many are still in jail as we speak, some even lost their precious lives.
The then igbo leaders who even had the senate leadership then did nothing, why cos they weren't ready to relinquish their positions and Federal Government appointments for Uwazurike's movement.
If nothing was done by the SE leaders then, what makes the youths so certain that they'll lift a finger towards their course now considering the fact that most of our leaders are self centered?
2. Thousands and even millions of South Easterners are likely going to be plunged into the job market upon declaration of Biafra: Its most likely that if the biafran dream is actualized today, Igbos working in various Nigerian government parastatals across the federation would automatically loose their job. Starting from Igbos in the military (Army, Airforce and Navy), to Civil Service, to the Nigerian Police Force, NSCDC, Customs, Immigration, FRSC, EFCC, ICPC, The Ministry, Ministers and Senators from the biafran territory will no longer be recognized in the Nigerian Senate, ...etc.
Can we cope with that, noting that the current economy of some SE states isn't something to be proud about, and we can't even secure employment for those living there how much more when you have a mass exodus of people relocating home. How will they survive?
Germany requested for thousands of Syrian refugees because they have a very good economy to settle them in months.
We should understand that if Biafra is declared, a similar mass exodus would be experienced.
Question is do we have a plan to absorb the thousands who probably would be relieved of their duties by the Nigerian Federal Government into the biafran economy and create such parastatals for them with a short period of time so they can work and take care of their families?
These are questions we need to ask ourselves.
3. The SE is improvised: We deserve a good leadership in the SE not biafra: Currently, we lack good roads, we lack constant electricity, we lack well equipped government primary and secondary schools, we lack portable drinking water...etc. Why should secession be our priority?
Few months ago, Afikpo youths comprising of Amasiri, Edda, Uwanna...etc blocked the roads to protest 2years of blackout in Afikpo. (The thread was even on Nairaland) I witnessed that protest live cos I was in Amasiri (Ebotrans park) en route Abakaliki and was delayed by the protesters for over an hour because the whole roads leading to Abakaliki were all blocked.
If Afikpo which is agurably the second largest town with the best economy in Ebonyi state after Abakaliki can be in darkness for 2years, then I think its time for us to go back to the drawing board. Cos we can't expect the biafra economy to survive in darkness.
We should also be bothered about the number of our educated minds finding their way to other geopolitical zones outside the SE in search of greener pastures. That's another indication to tell us that our economy needs serious rehabilitation.
If we're so bent on making biafra a reality then we should beginning to hold our leaders accountable to every promise they made to us during the past elections
Great nations are ruled by great minds not thieves, crooks and heartless looters camouflaging themselves as leaders to enrich their 20th generation.
It is time for the Igbo youths to come together and reverse the trend of ubiquitous leadership ravishing igbo land and put up a system that would enable the best of us emerge as leaders.
Our leaders are our problem, therefore we should direct our aggression towards them. Because even if the biafran dream becomes a reality, I doubt we would survive up to 3years considering the kind of crooks we have as leaders.
We should try to understand that Biafra isn't the solution to the problems we're currently facing in the SE. If we fail to address the issue of bad leadership then biafra will be a case of "Dead On Arrival".
4. Inability to stand Independently: A child only thinks of leaving his parents home to cater for himself when feels he's matured enough to survive independently.
If we're sincere enough, you'll all agree with me that most SE states cannot survive without FG allocation. Currently people in Ebony are experiencing serious hardship. No thanks to the Governor (Dave) who has slashed their salaries for no good reason. Imo state isn't left out of the suffering as state workers there are also experiencing hardship as well.
We have FG allocations yet our Governors cannot pay their workers, and cannot make the state habitable for its people by providing basic amenities. What do you think would happen if the allocation stops?
A few years back when Rochas announced that he wants all secondary schools in imo state to put on a particular school uniform. Yes it was a welcome development to reduce discrimination's amongst schools. But most people frowned at him when he contracted the job to a Chinese company.
Why would a governor contract a job to a Chinese company for billions of naira when there are so many indigenous companies in the SE that would do it for a far lesser amount?
If our leaders are interested in developing the SE why have they refused to invest in the numerous untapped resources in the SE?
Or are they scared that their successors would become the direct benefactors when they leave office?
Isn't that a myopic way of reasoning?
5. Dis-unity and inability to make accurate political calculations: From the 1999 till date, while people of other regions had managed to unite behind their candidate of choice in virtually all elections that had been held, we have always failed to do so.
I wasn't born during the civil war so I have very little knowledge about Ojukwu's acceptance by the general Igbo populace then.
But I remember vividly in 2003 how he (Ojukwu) lost that election in the SE to PDP's Obasanjo. It was recorded that Obasanjo had a thrilling 69.46% of votes from the SE. If we sincerely wanted power that year why didn't we rally round Ojukwu and give him our support like we did during the civil war?
Even when Alex Ekwueme contested the PDP primaries against Obasanjo the same year (2003). That attempt clearly outlined the dis unity amongst our leaders, because most PDP governors of SE states openly campaigned against their own son and supported the same Obsanjo.
Ever since I became knowledgeable of the events happening around me, I've never witnessed any election in Nigeria where we (Igbos) emphatically agreed and produced a candidate of the Igbo extraction acceptable to the whole nation and backed him aggressively. Just as President Buhari was backed by his kinsmen and practically other tribes.
In all the elections however from 1999-till date, we (Igbos) have failed to present a formidable candidate.
We don't even have a formidable political party to start with in the SE. The APGA which was created by Ojukwu has only the governorship seat in Anambra state to boast of.
The North and the SW easily formed an alliance because they had formidable parties they were all loyal to.
My point is that if we cannot determine our political relevance here in Nigeria, we'll keep having problems among ourselves should biafra become a reality.
Solution: We are all Nigerians so we should work towards the growth of this country. To my IPOB brothers, I will say sheath your swords. Don't waste your precious lives, MASSOB has followed that path, and today their members in jail are yet to get justice and those that lost their lives as a result of the struggle have been forgotten. If you die in this struggle you will be forgotten, your name wouldn't even be mentioned anywhere as a hero. Our leaders don't care, their kids are all abroad so when a stray bullet from a happy trigger policeman hits you, you're gone. No justice!
Anyi Ga-eme Mbaa Ka Ódi Ukwuu Ma Öbúrú Na Agbúrú Nille Ga Etikota Aka Rúó Órú Ma Gharakwa Ì Na-ata Ndi Ózó Uta Mgbe Ihe Mgberede Dakwasiri Anyi.E Kwenyerem Nigïria Ga Adikwa Ukwúú ÖZÖ.

guy you no dey tire ?
Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by rextermail: 2:12am On Nov 14, 2015
kingzx0:
boss that's just my mind set here. I just hope this government in its bid for change will not chase away all foreign firms and crumble this economy more than it is now. But come to think of it if eventually this companies pay all these fines are they aware that the resultant effect if retrenchment of workers thereby increasing the number of unemployed. Food for thought.

1 Like

Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by arabianights: 3:42am On Nov 14, 2015
manny4life:

And it's the people that will directly/indirectly suffer the brunt of these fines.

smartly avoid using the institutions for a year ..... till you are sure they have recovered losses grin
Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by Billygee2u: 4:40am On Nov 14, 2015
Kx:
[size=18pt]No legal basis for fines/sanctions by an organ/department of the government but there is a legal basis for unethical practices of re-validating substandard and expired products for profit making purposes by a private firm right?[/size]
can they say that in Asian countries or other continents of the World?
Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by lizzyslaw(f): 5:08am On Nov 14, 2015
Guineas Nig. PLC does its best to maintain its high standard. The assertion by NAFDAC is quite porous. Why would they be asking for administrative charges when Guineas has 'supposedly' violated standards? They should be demanding penalties.

In any case, Guineas Nig. has been good to Nigeria. Their packages for their staff was quite good but the moment they had a Nigerian GM, their welfare gradually dwindled and now it just trickles. Our people are so corrupt that it is when they came on board that things became tighter for their staff. Telling lies and saying targets not reached. Believe me if Guineas is guilty, the staff would be the ones to suffer it.

However, I also know they have abandoned production factories. Some years ago, I know they had to stop production in their Aba branch. If the facility is not in use then they should not be made to pay ridiculous fine.

If ever Guineas is cutting corners which I doubt, the blame is on the Nigerian GM's they are a stingy and greedy lot. Thinking only of themselves and leaving their less fortunate Nigerian staff.

In any case, if there is no legal basis, biko go to court
Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by billyG(m): 7:08am On Nov 14, 2015
braimeddy:

Source
Recertifying expired products & using Rats & cockroaches shiit to Brew xtasmooth is a crime agst Humanity,poisoning d unsuspecting liqour guzzling public no wonder life expectancy 4 nigerian males has reduce to 40yrs,somepple in charge shld go 2 Jail 4 this evil,mass killing 4 huge profits,I hereby stop drinking Guiness products 4life.
Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by billyG(m): 7:13am On Nov 14, 2015
kennyman2000:
Hmmm... I really hope these companies are not been frustrated and chased out of the country...

I really hope govt doesnt fine any indian company cos indian no get joy if u na try am.. Indian go use Nigeria workers like slave.. As in, they'll work sotey, they'll work pass machine..

Could recall some years back when i was working in an indian factory like that.

Name of the production manager is BUCHESH.. I asked him why other indians like using Nigerian workers anyhow and pay meagre salary as well.

Could easily interact with him cos he's different. He's kind and has human sympathy..

His response was that, if you see how much we pay to your Nigerian govt as tax, community will collect their own fees, obas will collect their own fees, police too will come and collect their own. Thats why most indians pay small wages cos your govt have collected money that's meant for u na wages..

Dnt b wailing on NL,report those fuuking indians 2 yur kinsman Sen.Chris Ngige who is now d Labour minister.
Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by billyG(m): 7:16am On Nov 14, 2015
manny4life:
With the way Nigerian Agencies are slamming fines on Nigerian business is a cause for alarm. As much as there are violations and I'm not in anyway supporting the violators, the fines handed down is scary. If things continue at this rate, a lot of potential investors will see Nigeria as a hostile business environment.
Hostile Biz envrmnt abi?But frdly 4 manufacturing fake,substandard & expired prdcts @ d detriment of d health & well being of d populace.

1 Like

Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by billyG(m): 7:22am On Nov 14, 2015
k1centy:
MTN-5 trillion
UBA-2 billion
First Bank-1 billion
SKYE Bank-4 billion.
By the time we are done with all these firms, our 2016 budget go complete.
Thank God we finally found another source of income generation apart from oil. The change is here gidi.
Very wise move by govt.Fining Lawbreakers like oil coys,brewries,telecoms,1way drivers,overload trailers,overspeeding drivers can generates twice d expected national Budget.nigerians loves Breaking d laws.
Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by Acidosis(m): 7:38am On Nov 14, 2015
Nigeria's Business Environment is rated one of the poorest in Africa by 'Doing Business'

We need to be careful. This might take us from being one of the poorest to the poorest.
Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by dazzlingd(m): 8:10am On Nov 14, 2015
So many investors have always seen nigeria as a lawless nation..They practice things they would never try in other countries in nigeria and get away with it.

Now, the fines are harsh...but using some of them as terrible scape goats will send lessons to the others..

never again will foreigners look down on our laws
Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by BABANGBALI: 8:10am On Nov 14, 2015
flokii:

I second that...

God bless you ikechukwu354 for not allowing tribal bigotry cloud your sense of judgement..

Ow I wish SR can get this and alert all yeebos...

all they think is that we hate them...
he remains the best igbo man ever liveth
Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by zigalo(m): 8:16am On Nov 14, 2015
Dazzler07:
It is high time these regulatory bodies lived up to their lresponsibilities.... Letz go for DSTV next

Yes ooo let's go for dstv.. Na dat 1 concern me
Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by lakesider2006(m): 9:21am On Nov 14, 2015
kingzx0:
ME OFCORSE!
Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by GoodMuyis(m): 9:54am On Nov 14, 2015
akwana:
No basis abi? Ok just wait and see. Don't shout that we are chasing investors later. I hope you guys violate more laws so we can have more money to build roads and bridges.

Instead of Drink Our Life out
Re: No legal basis for NAFDAC’s N1bn fine –Guinness by Growingboi(m): 11:11am On Nov 14, 2015
;DDont say much...ejoorr..
kayjasper:

I need not say much to you, your name says it all.......Grow Up Boy.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Business Ideas For Returning Nigerian Diaspora. / PHOTOS: Folorunsho Alakija Covers July Edition Of Today's Woman Magazine / FBN, Zenith, 2 Others Appointed Settlement Banks for Naira/RMB Currency swap

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.