Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:55 AM

War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry (12719 Views)

Northerners In NEPC Gang Up Against Segun Awolowo / MEND Threatens To Commence Attacks From Friday / MEND Threatens To Disintegrate Nigeria Soon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by ono(m): 4:31pm On May 18, 2009
naijaking1:

@Poster
What has kidnapping of a River state's official got to do with warning northerners to stay away from the delta region
I was thinking MEND had kidnapped the Emir of Kano, or some top official from the north, now that would have been news.

MEND is not going to succeed, because of false intellectual philosophies provided by the like of Ibime, Adaka Boro, etc.
Greed, laziness, and petty jealousy have never been known to form the philosophical cornerstone of any people's liberation idealogy.

naijaking1, naijaking1, naijaking1. . . . . . .na how many times I call you just now? These things wey dey happen for this side no be as you think am o. . . . . . there's more to this than meet the ordinary eye o.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by CyberG: 4:54pm On May 18, 2009
What SADNESS to read the MADNESS of the government in Nigeria? No words can describe my feelings when I read the gargantuan human killings, shedding of blood and wanton destruction in Nigeria! What a frustration!

In the first place, in the face of justice and equity, it will be difficult to support and justify the actions of MEND and such groups but clearly, the government of Nigeria knows nothing about fairness, justice and equity! How can any government deploy so much military force when it knows there are civilians, young children, pregnant women, old and weak people that are MOST likely to be killed in a most violent way? These are people who have suffered so much in life already, UNJUSTLY, while their slave masters live on their resources and still go and KILL them like this? Gosh, how terrible and horrible!

Well, in case MEND or their agents ever read this messages on NL, I have only one suggestion: PLEASE DELIVER THE MASTER STROKE ONCE AND FOR ALL AND PUT US ALL OUT OF THIS MISERY! It is time to employ new strategies as the Nigerian forces are still in the 60s. . .it is time to make IEDs, remote bombs, even if it were possible to hijack one of their own bomber planes they have used to decimate human lives - give them a taste of their own medicine!

No need to let them come to fight in the ND, the IEDs will be very useful in Abuja. . .lace the roads leading to the seat of this corrupt and wicked government with them and blow them right to HELL. Attach remote bombs to the Bentleys, Mercedes, BMW, limousines they have stolen money to accumulate and better still. . .let them go off when they are at their evil devices on how to steal money or rig elections. If fighter planes could be hijacked, rented, bought. . .whatever. . .one bunker busting bomb in Aso Rock and another at the senate will be sufficient right in their council meeting or 'executive' meeting will be more effective than all the fighting and killing already impoverished soldiers (who are zombies, by the way) who are not paid a decent wage and will be slammed into life imprisonment if they even asked for their meager salary!
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by naijaking1: 5:22pm On May 18, 2009
ono:

naijaking1, naijaking1, naijaking1. . . . . . .na how many times I call you just now? These things wey dey happen for this side no be as you think am o. . . . . . there's more to this than meet the ordinary eye o.

I just read a report that over 1000 Ijaws have been killed in a fight with federal troops in the delta area. My heart goes out to the innocent, the woem and children involved. Where Igbo stops and Ijaw begins remains difficult to discern, or at least still subjected to controversy. And killing people because of oil found in their area remains a crime before God and man. However, the philosophical perspectives of the Niger Delta movement right from the Biafran era has been selfishly greed driven, and myopic at best.

While Ken saro Wiwa paid the ultimate sacrifice for supporting the northerns during the civil war, Adaka Boro is not alive to see today's news about the killing of 1000 Ijaws. Somehow I wish he is alive, maybe the younger ones, including his advocates on this forum would learn from his personal mistakes of putting his clans' short term interest over and above long term interest of his region and people.

Because of the questionable foundation of this delta struggle, every emerging leader(s) of MEND have always tended to end up with personal benefit instead of sticking to the principle of one for all, and all for one. Once again, the Ijaw and southeastern people cannot successfully fight for their right/minerals/land if they cannot agree within themselves.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by Afaukwu: 5:27pm On May 18, 2009
1000 Ijaws Silenced by the Military- I Thought The VP is Ijaw?
« on: Today at 04:09:45 PM »

Nigeria fighting 'killed 1,000'
map

The military in Nigeria has been accused of killing 1,000 civilians during an upsurge in operations against militants in the oil-rich Niger Delta.

"They, bombard entire communities from the air, sea and land," said the Ijaw National Congress which represents the region's largest ethnic group.

A Nigerian military spokesman dismissed the allegations as unfounded.

The army has freed 17 hostages, mostly foreigners, held by militants fighting for a greater share of oil revenues.

But the military action has "resulted in over a thousand deaths, because we dared to ask for our rights," said Victor Burubo, spokesman for the Ijaw National Congress.

He called on the United Nations to intervene in a BBC interview.

The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) declared "all-out war" on the Nigerian government after an attack on one of its camps deep in the swamp lands on Friday.

'Rescue operation'

A second hostage being held by Mend militants was killed in fighting with government forces.

In the upsurge of violence - the worst in months - the military have used naval gunboats and there are claims of helicopter gunship attacks, the BBC's Caroline Duffield reports from Nigeria.

The army says the offensive is a rescue operation to save the crews of two ships hijacked by gunmen last Thursday, and that nine Filipinos, four Ukrainians and four Nigerians have been freed so far.

A Mend statement said: "We regret to announce that two hostages have been killed by the indiscriminate shelling."

Nigerian militants

'Blood oil' dripping from Nigeria
Elusive peace in Nigeria's oil Delta

It said their bodies would be given to the Red Cross, but gave no details of nationality.

The group added that Briton Matthew Maguire, who was taken hostage separately last year, was now being moved to a new location.

Mend - the most visible of numerous armed gangs operating in the Delta - says it is fighting for a fairer share of Nigeria's oil wealth for local people.

However they are involved in extortion and massive oil theft as well as kidnapping, our correspondent says.

They had ordered oil companies to pull out their staff by Saturday. The group also says it blew up two major gas pipelines over the weekend.

Analysts expected renewed violence between militants and the military after Mend rejected an amnesty offered by the government.

The government has still not officially said the offer is off the table.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8054585.stm
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by henriee(f): 5:37pm On May 18, 2009
I'm really upset at the Niger delta situation, always hoped it would not resort to this.
This country of ours, sad sad
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by oolumide: 5:46pm On May 18, 2009
When they came for the Jew, I said nothing,
When they came for the Negro I said nothing,
When they came for the Chinese I said nothing,
When they came for me there was nobody to come to my aid, because they have taken everybody.

Now they have come to Abuja and they will soon take over everywhere.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by naijaking1: 6:02pm On May 18, 2009
oolumide:

When they came for the Jew, I said nothing,
When they came for the Negro I said nothing,
When they came for the Chinese I said nothing,
When they came for me there was nobody to come to my aid, because they have taken everybody.

Now they have come to Abuja and they will soon take over everywhere.

Why not:

When they came for the Igbos in cold blood, I said nothing,
When they came for the Biafran war, I said nothing,
When they came to nationalize all lands with their mineral resources, I said nothing,
When they came for Abiola, I said nothing,
When they took PDP from Ekwueme, released Obasanjo and gave him the presidency, I said nothing,
When they imposed Yar'dua on us, I said nothing,
I said nothing because I thought it didn't affect me, now they have come to take me away,
Nobody is saying nothing
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by RuuDie(m): 6:12pm On May 18, 2009
MEND get mouth. . . . . . 4 who sai

I'm currently in the Nija Delta region and close to an area where the JTF has just routed em out of one of em camps.
It was a crushing show of how capable the Nija millitary can be. . . . in less than 48 days, d'em enter milli stronghold and disperse every for there.

Na jus the hostages and innocentees w'ey d'em d'ey use as human shield d'ey helep em from the wrath of our millitary jare!
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by DRANOEL(m): 6:19pm On May 18, 2009
because the military played with em for some time they grew horns,now with a single operation the chicken has now come home to roost, criminality is criminality whether niger-delta or sahara delta
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by MrCrackles(m): 6:20pm On May 18, 2009
MEND just threatening everything!

WTF is thier problem anyway? undecided
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by devimcy: 6:32pm On May 18, 2009
i am happy nigeria is reaping what it sowed as 4 the notherners dominating the big offices in niger delta should be kiss
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by DRANOEL(m): 6:47pm On May 18, 2009
devimcy:

i am happy nigeria is reaping what it sowed as 4 the notherners dominating the big offices in niger delta should be kiss

maybe you aint aware of whats going on right now JTF is roasting dem militants
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by bawomolo(m): 6:51pm On May 18, 2009
attention whorism. I doubt they would be that bold against Northerners.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by Becomrich: 6:55pm On May 18, 2009
I think Yar Adua should called is military men to withdraw thier troope as quick and possible. It is wrong to kill the ijaws. I hope Yar Adua knows he is killing Children of Oduduwa and Yar Adua should ask himself what would happen if the Oduduwa people congress [OPC] join MEND?. It would be hell for his government and the military.

He should pull his troope. It is the only wise thing to do.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by ayomide06(m): 6:59pm On May 18, 2009
This guys MAD or MEND or whatever those criminals called themselves are nothing but some bunch of lazy ass, i don't even know why the Govt. indulge them for so long. they are only taken advantage of democracy why not try this nonsense during abacha? dem go know say khaki no be leather.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by naijaking1: 7:06pm On May 18, 2009
Becomrich:

I think Yar Adua should called is military men to withdraw thier troope as quick and possible. It is wrong to kill the ijaws. I hope Yar Adua knows he is killing Children of Oduduwa and Yar Adua should ask himself what would happen if the Oduduwa people congress [OPC] join MEND?. It would be hell for his government and the military.

He should pull his troope. It is the only wise thing to do.

Reminds me of when they agreed to join Biafra embarassed
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by DRANOEL(m): 7:09pm On May 18, 2009
@becomerich

the military should stop what? let them use the whole military might if possible,MEND & other militants crossed the line when they started kidnapping kids!

naijaking1:

Reminds me of when they agreed to join Biafra embarassed

grin grin grin
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by FrankC3: 7:13pm On May 18, 2009
I the words of Ojukwu, "Good morning Niger delta!'
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by Becomrich: 7:16pm On May 18, 2009
does this picture look like MEND to you

what the nigeria govt is doing is displaces and creating homeless people. If the nigeria military want to fight they should go to the north to displace people. And leave our people alone.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/components/com_fpss/images/ijawwomen.jpg http://www.vanguardngr.com/components/com_fpss/images/Ijawchildren.jpg http://www.vanguardngr.com/components/com_fpss/images/Ijawchildren1.jpg
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by ayomide06(m): 7:26pm On May 18, 2009
Becomrich:

I think Yar Adua should called is military men to withdraw thier troope as quick and possible. It is wrong to kill the ijaws. I hope Yar Adua knows he is killing Children of Oduduwa and Yar Adua should ask himself what would happen if the Oduduwa people congress [OPC] join MEND?.  It would be hell for his government and the military.

He should pull his troope.  It is the only wise thing to do.

I don't know why people just talk without reasoning why would you compared oodua people with this common criminals called MEND?? the former are highly intelligent and one of the most sophisticated tribe of this nation, they can never partake in any action that will bring this nation down. while the later are just thief's who represent their pockets only. wheres DOKUBO ASARI TODAY?? upon all the noise he was making about fighting for  the freedom of his people off cause he has been settled so he kept quiet. now MEND tell me WHAT ARE THEY MENDING? their fat bank accounts abi?
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by grafikdon: 7:45pm On May 18, 2009
We didn't see this show of "force" during the senseless religious killings. . .
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by Ahmadtjk(m): 8:00pm On May 18, 2009
They have started again, i heard people praising Mend and Co for what they doing as far as am concern it is not not the best way to fight for your right, infact MEND is nothing but group of criminals and oppotunist hope Niger Deltans would see thse,
I cant see who a group of undispline criminal can defit Federal Goverment troops, Well when they exhaust Federal gov patience, The death of Velupillai Prabhakaran the rebel leader of Tamil tiger should be a good lesson to those MEND leaders,,

why threatiening Northern Leader when you cant even confront your corrupt chiefs(Thiefs) living in you door steps, FOOLS
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by Afaukwu: 8:02pm On May 18, 2009
Where is the Ijaw monkey jonas/pilas/comfort/mohadana, etc, etc, etc? He should be in the creek fighting the military and not merely a cyber warrior. grin grin grin grin
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by naijaking1: 8:14pm On May 18, 2009
Afaukwu:

Where is the Ijaw monkey jonas/pilas/comfort/mohadana, etc, etc, etc? He should be in the creek fighting the military and not merely a cyber warrior. grin grin grin grin

You missed Ibime shouting"UP MEND"
After fighting the federal troops, they would have had a taste of their own medicine, the way Adaka Boro and Saro Wiwa helped federal troops kill Biafrans.
Do you hear the chicken coming home to roost
Next they will start fighting Onitsha and Aba traders because of the in-land river port under construction.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by SapeleGuy: 8:26pm On May 18, 2009
Grafikdon - Thank you. That is the WA ZO BIA factor at work.

The federal govt needs to negotiate. As some right thinking people on this forum have stated. FG may have won the battle but they can't win the war. MEND has embarassed the FG troops too many times for anybody to be complacent.

Nigeria does not have the stomach for a civil war. The next tactic is obvious, let us see if the FG apologist go still dey chop mouth when the retaliation begins in Abuja and other cities outside the South South. All it will take is for 1 device to go off in  FCT and the country will be brought to its knees.

We need peace and we need justice. May the souls of those who have lost their lives in this struggle rest in perfect peace.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by Afaukwu: 8:34pm On May 18, 2009
naijaking1:

You missed Ibime shouting"UP MEND"
After fighting the federal troops, they would have had a taste of their own medicine, the way Adaka Boro and Saro Wiwa helped federal troops kill Biafrans.
Do you hear the chicken coming home to roost
Next they will start fighting Onitsha and Aba traders because of the in-land river port under construction.

Completely unlike Jonas, Ibime is a cool and level-headed fellow; and I also think all the oil-producing communities, and not just the Ijaws, have a case. I am from one of such oil-producing community in Abia State and I also feel shortchanged by the rampagers from other regions. I will rather deal with an Ijaw than some brain-washed, gun-wielding almajiris
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by biina: 8:54pm On May 18, 2009
I don't think any fair minded person would deny that the oil producing areas have been neglected, but the approach of MEND has given the federal government the higher moral ground.
Like I said earlier, they will only survive if the international community supports them, a support they will not get given where the interest of those countries lie.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by naijaking1: 9:01pm On May 18, 2009
Afaukwu:

Completely unlike Jonas, Ibime is a cool and level-headed fellow; and I also think all the oil-producing communities, and not just the Ijaws, have a case. I am from one of such oil-producing community in Abia State and I also feel shortchanged by the rampagers from other regions. I will rather deal with an Ijaw than some brain-washed, gun-wielding almajiris

Adaka Boro was also one cool and level-headed fellow. Chilling out in Britain as opposed to the swamps of the delta might make one appear level headed, but the principles of these self-serving MEND apologist are the same. From carrying water for the likes of Boro, Saro Wiwa, to betraying Biafra on the simple pretex that Ojukwu disrespected them in Eastern Nigeria, to occupying houses built through the sweat of their Igbo brothers in the name of abandoned property, to the present myopic politics of Chief Clark and other Ijaw leaders; it's obvious this people are all the same.

The deprivation and loss of natural habitat in the delta cries out for justice; no questions. Unfortunately, this situation is also a direct result of Biafra loosing to the federal side. The World and most Nigerians would have supported them if they simply maintained that equitable resource allocation is their prime goal, no, instead any time there's an opportunity, they would act like short term oriented criminal gangs. From occupying other people's houses, to settling for a few naira bribe, to accepting plum federal positions, now they're resorting to kidnapping people for ransom. All these have nothing to do with improving the lives of the common Ijaw or Igbo person
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by Nobody: 9:11pm On May 18, 2009
@oludashmi and asha 80

I dig ur posts so much i dont even know what else to add.

These militants shud go after their governors who refused to develop their area. The get more than other states yet they have nothing to show for it
They are really underestimating Nigeria. The fact that they have just 1 war plane for this war means they are not prepared.

I feel for the young children, whom these thugs never gave the chance to enjoy life.
including women and their old people. You dont just wage a war when you know you cannot win.
All for their self greed. Please can anyone tell me why ASARI DOKUBO IS NOT A PART OF THIS WAR?
I LEARNT HE SUCCESSFULLY ACQUIRE AN OIL WELL AND HE IS DOING TOO FINE THAT HE WONT LIKE TO PUT HIS LIFE ON THE LINE ANYMORE
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by Ibime(m): 9:53pm On May 18, 2009
webdezzi:

Please can anyone tell me why ASARI DOKUBO IS NOT A PART OF THIS WAR?
I LEARNT HE SUCCESSFULLY ACQUIRE AN OIL WELL AND HE IS DOING TOO FINE THAT HE WONT LIKE TO PUT HIS LIFE ON THE LINE ANYMORE

Asari-Dokubo is not hiding anywhere. He is working hard in collaboration with Ralph Uwuzurike and MASSOB to unite the Ijaw and Igbo to a common cause. A true revolutionary must seek to progress his ideas. Its not always by gra-gra.

I can no more denounce MEND (despite unscrupulous elements), than an Igbo man can denounce MASSOB. Whatever their motives are, Ijaws have come to generally be protective of them. The latest developments would suggest that Eastern-Ijaw MEND and Western-Ijaw MEND have ironed out their differences; as we have seen Eastern-Ijaw MEND rush to provide reinforcements for their Western comrades. 15 years ago, there was nothing like an Ijaw nation, just Okrikas, Ibanis, Kalabaris etc. Thanks to this emancipation struggle, Ijaw is now one nation with a common destiny. . . . or better yet, one nation because they face a common threat. The threat of environmental, fiscal and physical exploitation from Nigeria.

As for JTF killing civilians, if they like they can kill 10,000. The blood is on their head. They cannot kill everyone. Where they silenced 1,000 'passive civilians', another 1,000 will become radicalised, hence they have created more enemies than they originally had.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by SapeleGuy: 10:13pm On May 18, 2009
Ibime - that is Massob propaganda, Asari won't work with Massob, in terms of strategy that is a backward step.

Afaukwu - Please - Don't bore us with Biafra - Open another thread for that story.

Webdezzi - Why can other people own oil blocks but it is wrong for Dokubo, a son of the soil to own one. This is exactly the type of injustice we are fighting against.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by asha80(m): 10:27pm On May 18, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Ibime - that is Massob propaganda, Asari won't work with Massob, [b]in terms of strategy that is a backward step.[/b]Afaukwu - Please - Don't bore us with Biafra - Open another thread for that story.

Webdezzi - Why can other people own oil blocks but it is wrong for Dokubo, a son of the soil to own one. This is exactly the type of injustice we are fighting against.

Care to explain?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Why Ndigbo Should Join APC —- Kalu / FG Roads Debt: Senate To Assist Enugu Government's Reimbursement / Adedeji Stanley Olajide Chase Journalists Out Of COVID-19 Probe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.