Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,707 members, 7,816,907 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:54 PM

War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry (12715 Views)

Northerners In NEPC Gang Up Against Segun Awolowo / MEND Threatens To Commence Attacks From Friday / MEND Threatens To Disintegrate Nigeria Soon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by C2H5OH(f): 10:54pm On May 23, 2009
This stupid cult should have been torn apart by FG a long time ago.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by asha80(m): 10:57pm On May 23, 2009
let me ask this question.what makes us think this will not develop into a full scale war?
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by texazzpete(m): 11:00pm On May 23, 2009
@JJYOU
The Kebbi guy spoke for himself, and he was roundly (and rightly) condemned for his stupid utterances. Why make a mountain out of one man's foolishness?

@4play
Discussion about the Niger Delta governors is apt in this situation. The constant explanation for the rise of millitancy in ND is the lack of development. Ergo, it becomes extremely important to identify the reasons why there's a lack of development.  Simple!

Out of curiosity, what would you guys have the JTF do, after the bloody ambush that killed 8 soldiers in cold blood? Resort to prayers, eh?
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by ono(m): 11:05pm On May 23, 2009
@Tex,

The military or the FG should have sent some military/security intelligence into the area to properly understand who the real agitators are and then fishout the criminal elements

And if the people we call leaders cannot think in that direction before carrying out a dastardly act like we have seen, then I wonder the crop of leaders we have governing us. A responsible government will not send out their military in the manner YarAdua did.

But, thinking about getting intelligence reports, I want to believe that the military, since the deployment of the JTF into the ND (since the early 2000) should already know who the criminal elements are. So, why not go after them? why raze down a make shift hospital? why kill innocent people? This basically underscores my fear that there is some elements of ethnic cleansing in the whole exercise.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by naijaking1: 11:07pm On May 23, 2009
biina:

I have spent considerable time in the Niger delta and in the oil and gas industry. I have also lived in the North and visited most states in Nigeria. The ND is in a bad state, and so are the northern states. The problem we need to tackle is our corrupt leaders, and not waste our efforts on tribal sentiments and superiority complexes.

The comparison of the north and ND is in very bad light, and very decietful.
B/4 oil took over the ND, the people farmed and fished properously. Infact, they exported fish all over W. African, I know because one of aunties is Ogoni. I know the north, infact I did my NYSC in Wudil, Kano, so I have a first hand information about the 2 regions.
As we speak, the ND people can't fish any more, because of all those pure and sweet smelling creeks/rivers have been completely covered by a thick layer of oil gue for the past 5 years. Don't talk about drinking water, or farmlands that has been turned over to the federal government with little or no compensation. Another tragedy: young people don't know how to fish anymore.
And you want to compare it tothe rural north with its desert, but intact lands? Be real cool
Who are still trying to convince that your'e not a northerner?
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by SkyBlue1: 11:09pm On May 23, 2009
asha 80:

let me ask this question.what makes us think this will not develop into a full scale war?

I desperately hope it doesn't get to that stage but to be honest the federal government isn't helping matters. The simple truth is that MEND is the symptom of the problems plaguing the nation, underdevelopment, mismanagement, corruption, weak institutions, etc. If the Niger Delta region was developed I don't think MEND would have existed which is why I question their motives. Yes there are issues to be resolved, some of the issues are common nationwide, however what makes it more pronounced in the Niger Delta region is that the oil exploration which accounts for almost all exports out of the country has had a negative impact on the lives of the people. Rivers have been polluted, lands rendered useless with regards to farming, pollution, gas flaring, etc. These things affect people's livelihood and hence it is not just an issue of people making noise because they aren't getting more money. That is why comparing the situation of the Niger Delta to what is obtainable in the north seems ignorant. The federal government wants to continue obtaining revenue from oil but does not want to address the negative impact such has on the people in the region and therein lies the major problem and the cause for all the outrage.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by Abagworo(m): 11:14pm On May 23, 2009
naijaking1:

B/4 oil took over the ND, the people farmed and fished properously. Infact, they exported fish all over W. African, I know because one of aunties is Ogoni. I know the north, infact I did my NYSC in Wudil, Kano, so I have a first hand information about the 2 regions.
As we speak, the ND people can't fish any more, because of all those pure and sweet smelling creeks/rivers have been completely covered by a thick layer of oil gue for the past 5 years. Don't talk about drinking water, or farmlands that has been turned over to the federal government with little or no compensation. Another tragedy: young people don't know how to fish anymore.
And you want to compare it tothe rural north with its desert, but intact lands? Be real cool

this should be the basis for agitation & not MEND
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by texazzpete(m): 11:17pm On May 23, 2009
ono:

@Tex,

The military or the FG should have sent some military/security intelligence into the area to properly understand who the real agitators are and then fishout the criminal elements

And if the people we call leaders cannot think in that direction before carrying out a dastardly act like we have seen, then I wonder the crop of leaders we have governing us. A responsible government will not send out their military in the manner YarAdua did.

But, thinking about getting intelligence reports, I want to believe that the military, since the deployment of the JTF into the ND (since the early 2000) should already know who the criminal elements are. So, why not go after them? why raze down a make shift hospital? why kill innocent people? This basically underscores my fear that there is some elements of ethnic cleansing in the whole exercise.

So the federal government found out that the perpetrators are millitants from camps in delta state. So how would you go about 'fishing them out' from their well armed camps? Entice them with candy, maybe?

As for the civillian casualties, it's worth noting that the civillian casulaty figure is almost certainly exaggerated. and it's extremely difficult to completely prevent civillian casualties in a war zone. Look at what's happening in Pakistan. look at what happens in afghanistan every time american drones carry out attacks on taliban positions.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by biina: 11:20pm On May 23, 2009
asha 80:

u wan force nigeria on people head?na by force?
and you have a ghanian passport? undecided

Sky Blue:

Apologies but your post seems to contradict itself. If anything you seem to be the person making the issue about tribes. Nigeria is a federation made up off states, right? Should states be allowed to control their own resource and development hence actually making the arrangement a proper federation? So where does tribalism come into play? A lot o states have multiple ethnic groups so again, where does tribalism come into play?

You advocate each part of the country developing its own industry in order to have something to present in the 'national pot' (for lack of a better phrase) yet you are against resource control which is more likely to bring such into fruition more quickly?

You seem to advocate patriotism but it seems you do not realise that you can't force people to be patriotic and that forcing people against their will while showing disdain for their rights and their own thoughts on their own development (like the federal government seems to be doing) is definately not a good way to incite patriotism.
Resource control will not improve the lot of Nigerians if we still have the same corrupt elites in office. Look at the various developed countries and the variations in their style of government. The success is not in the theory, but in the practice. Resource control is not a silver bullet for the ND people. I am not willing to expand the scope of the depletion of our natural resources if it would only fill the pockets of the few.

That being said I am all for resource control if it is approved by the legislature, but I am against the MEND approach to achieving it.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by biina: 11:31pm On May 23, 2009
naijaking1:

The comparism is valid cos if the  northern states are also in a bad state, you cannot make the argument that the oil money is being spent by them. The money from oil has been ending up in the pocket of a few corrupt leaders.
Do you think the leaders care where the oil is from? Have they not tried, but failed, to find oil in substantial quantities in the chad basin region?
Nigerian leaders, if left unchecked, would loot the nation to bare bones, and they are not guided by regional boundaries as you seem to be.
Accountability and transparency should be the first step towards improving the lot of the people, and not wasted efforts on regional definitions.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by SkyBlue1: 11:36pm On May 23, 2009
biina:

The comparism is valid cos if the  northern states are also in a bad state, you cannot make the argument that the oil money is being spent by them. The money from oil has been ending up in the pocket of a few corrupt leaders.
Do you think the leaders care where the oil is from? Have they not tried, but failed, to find oil in substantial quantities in the chad basin region?
Nigerian leaders, if left unchecked, would loot the nation to bare bones, and they are not guided by regional boundaries as you seem to be.
Accountability and transparency should be the first step towards improve the lots of the people, and not wasted efforts on regional definitions.

The issue is the negative impact without any form off compensation whatsoever or any plans to reduce the impacts, hence you might want to re-read why the comparison might not be valid, its not necessarily about underdevelopment which is inherent in Nigeria anyway. The gas flaring deadline has come and gone, has gas flaring stopped? Is gas flaring allowed on mainland in any western country? This is getting a tad futile, so I am out : )
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by asha80(m): 11:37pm On May 23, 2009
biina:

The comparism is valid cos if the  northern states are also in a bad state, you cannot make the argument that the oil money is being spent by them. The money from oil has been ending up in the pocket of a few corrupt leaders.
Accountability and transparency should be the first step towards improving the lot of the people, and not wasted efforts on regional definitions.

in a country in confusion.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by biina: 12:27am On May 24, 2009
Sky Blue:

The issue is the negative impact without any form off compensation whatsoever or any plans to reduce the impacts, hence you might want to re-read why the comparison might not be valid, its not necessarily about underdevelopment which is inherent in Nigeria anyway. The gas flaring deadline has come and gone, has gas flaring stopped? Is gas flaring allowed on mainland in any western country? This is getting a tad futile, so I am out : )
without any form of compensation? That brings us back to the question of what has happened to all the funds that have been pumped into the region. 
The gas flaring deadline was not observed, is that the fault of the northerners too? or the selfish oil companies and their NNPC friends?
If the issue of underdevelopment is common to all areas, then it is wrong to point a finger at a particular region for being responsible for depriving another. Rather the accusing finger should be pointed at corrupt leadership, irrespective of the region, tribe or state of origin.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by ono(m): 12:52am On May 24, 2009
texazzpete:

So the federal government found out that the perpetrators are millitants from camps in delta state. So how would you go about 'fishing them out' from their well armed camps? Entice them with candy, maybe?

As for the civillian casualties, it's worth noting that the civillian casulaty figure is almost certainly exaggerated. and it's extremely difficult to completely prevent civillian casualties in a war zone. Look at what's happening in Pakistan. look at what happens in afghanistan every time american drones carry out attacks on taliban positions.

Fact remains that if the FG had nipped the issue of build up of arms in the region way back in 1999- 2000, when all these trouble started, we won't find ouselves in this mess. There are true agitators and there are criminals who just cash in on the situation in there to forment trouble. It is the responsibility of the FG and law enforcement agents to quickly quell any uprising from anywhere in the country - but no.

They even hired these guys as thugs during elections into several political positions in the country. Now, innocent people have to die because of their shortsighted and ''i don't care ''disposition towards the problems in Delta State.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by Nobody: 9:14am On May 24, 2009
No one listened to Fela! Where is Asari Dokubo? bastard!!Shame on Nigeria. If the Niger Deltans want control of their resources, they can cause it's a democracy but the people don't read their constitutional rights. Look where we dey!!! No vision for Africa at all, we can't catch up with the human race anymore. Others have moved on and they are going further look where Africans are, same place we started.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by otokx(m): 9:24am On May 24, 2009
We have in started walking backwards.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by Iranoladun(f): 10:13am On May 24, 2009
The issue of Niger Delta cannot be silenced by a million JTF in a thousand year unless the source of a malaise is address/cure FG & her JTF will keep treating the symptoms which may give a deceptful albeit temporary peace! Reasonable compensation & ensuring the state/LG and the oil companies develop the ND & respect international treaties on oil exploration and safety/preservation of the environment. Anyone on this forum who has not lived or visited the Niger Delta region in the last ten years cannot really appreciate the level of deprivations & damages.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by Iranoladun(f): 10:17am On May 24, 2009
The issue of Niger Delta cannot be silenced by a million JTF in a thousand year unless the source of a malaise is address/cure FG & her JTF will keep treating the symptoms which may give a deceptful albeit temporary peace! Reasonable compensation & ensuring the state/LG and the oil companies develop the ND & respect international treaties on oil exploration and safety/preservation of the environment. Anyone on this forum who has not lived or visited the Niger Delta region in the last ten years cannot really appreciate the level of deprivations & damages.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by SapeleGuy: 10:22am On May 24, 2009
biina:

without any form of compensation? That brings us back to the question of what has happened to all the funds that have been pumped into the region. 
Are you talking about the 36 years before 1999 or the 8 years after 1999 because you can't be selective in the fight against corruption.

The gas flaring deadline was not observed, is that the fault of the northerners too? or the selfish oil companies and their NNPC friends?
It is the fault of the FG who have not shown enough resolve to tackle the issue, perhaps they can declare war against the multinationals as this flaring is also costing the country $3 billion every year.

If the issue of underdevelopment is common to all areas, then it is wrong to point a finger at a particular region for being responsible for depriving another. Rather the accusing finger should be pointed at corrupt leadership, irrespective of the region, tribe or state of origin.
Clearly all those who contribute nothing are happy with their lot, if they weren't they would do something about it. We have been pointing the finger even before 1960, now people are doing something about it. Nobody gives you power, you have to grab it. In the new order there can be no food for 'lazy man' regardless of where they come from. If you don't work you can't get paid
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by texazzpete(m): 12:47pm On May 24, 2009
Iranoladun:

And how the hell do you ensure the state and local governments develop the state? Yar Adua has no power to remove an elected Governor. Only the people can, through the ballot box. And it's only when they recognise the need to heap the blame on their State and LG leaders that they can start making moves to force their leaders to do the right thing.
Instead all we have are 'elders' meeting to dole blame on others. Look at MEND threatening Northerners instead of the elected local government chairmen and governors who fail to build schools, repair roads and help create jobs.

I repeat, the bayelsa state Govt was paying millitants N200 million monthly for 'peace'. It's an open secret that the Delta state govt pays out huge sums to these miscreants too. How will the state get developed when such huge amounts are paid out to hoodlums instead of being used for development?
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by otokx(m): 12:57pm On May 24, 2009
The delta state government does not pay any militant monthly money; please get your facts correctly.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by freed(m): 1:10pm On May 24, 2009
This stupid cult should have been torn apart by FG a long time ago.

I dont support militancy but your country soldiers(hausa, yoruba) attacked civilains not militants if you dont know.
the militants are in the creeks, mangrove, swamp whatever dem dey call am. they know where those militants are, just go into the creeks and meet hundreds of them. the militants have home advantage and their environment is also an advantage just like vietnam war. when the hausa soldiers decide to go into the creeks and fight them, they die like ants. your nigerian soldiers should man up and go into the creeks and stop killing innocent civilians.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by otokx(m): 1:23pm On May 24, 2009
@Freed

Tell them, the JTF should go into the water and pursue the militants if they can. They should stop attacking villages whose only crime is being next to the water. They should never again attach a Government general hospital like they did at Ogbe-ijoh.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by Nobody: 1:39pm On May 24, 2009
Years ago, it was Igbos marganising the ND in their own land. few years ago, it was the Yorubas, heading all major oil company and every key ministerial positions. Now it is the Hausas and their Army.

When would the people pof the ND realise that it is not a tribal thing. It is simply a small group of individuals sunbjugating the rest of the country and exploting the hell out of everyone.

It is high time, all Nigerians tooks their destiny in their own hands.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by texazzpete(m): 1:48pm On May 24, 2009
freed:

I dont support militancy but your country soldiers(hausa, yoruba) attacked civilains not militants if you dont know.
the militants are in the creeks, mangrove, swamp whatever dem dey call am. they know where those militants are, just go into the creeks and meet hundreds of them. the militants have home advantage and their environment is also an advantage just like vietnam war. when the hausa soldiers decide to go into the creeks and fight them, they die like ants. your nigerian soldiers should man up and go into the creeks and stop killing innocent civilians.

So where do you think Camp 5, the strongest millitant base in Delta, is located? Or the Iroko forest base? The JTF have been attacking the millitant bases.

MEanwhile, where exactly have you been getting your casualty report from? How sure are you that those numbers are just propaganda?
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by SkyBlue1: 2:01pm On May 24, 2009
texazzpete:

And how the hell do you ensure the state and local governments develop the state? Yar Adua has no power to remove an elected Governor. Only the people can, through the ballot box. And it's only when they recognise the need to heap the blame on their State and LG leaders that they can start making moves to force their leaders to do the right thing.
Instead all we have are 'elders' meeting to dole blame on others. Look at MEND threatening Northerners instead of the elected local government chairmen and governors who fail to build schools, repair roads and help create jobs.

I repeat, the bayelsa state Govt was paying millitants N200 million monthly for 'peace'. It's an open secret that the Delta state govt pays out huge  sums to these miscreants too. How will the state get developed when such huge amounts are paid out to hoodlums instead of being used for development?

I agree with a significant part of what you have stated, governments should be held accountable, however what I find irritating is the arrogance attached to the impact the oil exploration has had on the people in the region. Who pretty much controls the oil industry? Is it not the federal government that pretty much runs the oil sector in order to get funding used to build abuja? So why on earth should state governments accountable or not, spend whatever limited resources they have on clearing oil spills and reversing the huge environmental impact the oil has brought with it? Why? Is accountability in government exclusively a Niger Delta issue? So why does it seem that the region is paying for blood while funding the nations spending habits? The oil companies have been stepping on the will of the people for so long and the federal government even with all the uproar has kept quiet on the issue because it hasn't been affecting them, till now.

With regards to the issue of resource control, it would be less patronising if people spoke of it in sincerity and stopped using bad governance as an excuse. There has always been bad governance in every part of the country hence why would that become the issue rather than practising federalism and letting states control their resources and choose what path they want to take? MEND and all the militant groups should be dealt with but it shouldn't be used as a way of placating the people or putting temporary plaster on the cancer, the issue needs to be addressed and we should push for a more federal structure which would be good in the long term because that will mean decentralisation of power, making government more grass root oriented and closer to the people instead of Abuja oriented.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by ayomide06(m): 2:34pm On May 24, 2009
otokx:

The delta state government does not pay any militant monthly money; please get your facts correctly.

What you failed to realize Mr freed , is that your lazy ass militants are nothing compared to the Vietnamese those are very committed army who will sacrificed everything (including their life) in order to liberate their country not some bunch of criminals who has every opportunity in life but refused to take it. if they are actually committed to this struggle why the hell are they running away like armed robber been chased by police? they should stand fight, and die for this course( if they actually fighting for this the course) like the TAMIL TIGER rebels did few days ago they stood their ground and die for what they believed in. but our niger delta militants are just common criminals. so whether the army killing them are yoruba or hausa or even idoma does not really matter what really matter is FLUSH THEM OUT ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by ayomide06(m): 2:37pm On May 24, 2009
otokx:

What you failed to realize Mr freed , is that your lazy ass militants are nothing compared to the Vietnamese those are very committed army who will sacrificed everything (including their life) in order to liberate their country not some bunch of criminals who has every opportunity in life but refused to take it. if they are actually committed to this struggle why the hell are they running away like armed robber been chased  by police? they should stand  fight, and die for  this course( if they actually fighting for this the course) like the TAMIL TIGER rebels did few days ago they stood their ground and die for what they believed in. but our niger delta militants are just common criminals. so whether the army killing them are yoruba or hausa or even idoma does not really matter what really matter is FLUSH THEM OUT ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by ayomide06(m): 2:42pm On May 24, 2009
freed:

What you failed to realize Mr freed , is that your lazy ass militants are nothing compared to the Vietnamese those are very committed army who will sacrificed everything (including their life) in order to liberate their country not some bunch of criminals who has every opportunity in life but refused to take it. if they are actually committed to this struggle why the hell are they running away like armed robber been chased  by police? they should stand  fight, and die for  this course( if they actually fighting for  the course) like the TAMIL TIGER rebels did few days ago they stood their ground and die for what they believed in. but our niger delta militants are just common criminals. so whether the army killing them are yoruba or hausa or even idoma does not really matter what really matter is FLUSH THEM OUT ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by ayomide06(m): 2:44pm On May 24, 2009
freed:

What you failed to realize Mr freed , is that your lazy ass militants are nothing compared to the Vietnamese those are very committed army who will sacrificed everything (including their life) in order to liberate their country not some bunch of criminals who has every opportunity in life but refused to take it. if they are actually committed to this struggle why the hell are they running away like armed robber been chased  by police? they should stand  fight, and die for  this course( if they actually fighting for  the course) like the TAMIL TIGER rebels did few days ago they stood their ground and die for what they believed in. but our niger delta militants are just common criminals. so whether the army killing them are yoruba or hausa or even idoma does not really matter what really matter is FLUSH THEM OUT ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.
Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by ayomide06(m): 2:46pm On May 24, 2009
freed:

Re: War In Niger Delta: Mend Threatens Northerners In Oil Industry by freed(m): 3:16pm On May 24, 2009
ayomide06:

I am not from the so called Niger delta. your stupid yoruba and hausa soldiers cant get rid of militants but attack civilians to show that they are doing something. flush them out? flushing innocent people instead of the militants in the creeks. your yoruba)hausa and fulani oligarchy have lots of work and need to get their acts together  or else your lagos and abuja will be doomed

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Fake Boko-Haram Member Arrested In Enugu / Four Rail Lines’ll Be Completed This Year –FG / NJC Dismisses Petitions Against Abang Over Abia/Ondo Governorship Cases

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.