Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,845 members, 7,813,848 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:48 PM

Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names (3416 Views)

60 Igbo Names & Their Meaning / Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls / Igbo Names And Their Funny Direct Translations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names by Abagworo(m): 4:47pm On Nov 15, 2015
After a long hiatus from culture section I'm back with this important topic. The aim is to help Igbos from different cultural zones learn other dialects as well as to enable the younger generation learn how Igbo names were before spread of Chi based names by missionaries. I will like us to restrict it for now to Southeast Igbos and popular politicians or celebrities for now.

Here is a list for a start. We will add more as the thread progresses.

Achike Udenwa

Azikiwe

Achebe

Obiano

Uma Ukpai

Idika

Idiga

Igariwei

Anyim

Ohakim

Onovo

Ebittu Ukiwe

Ikwechegh

Oputa

Adichie

Nwapa

Ekwensi

Tansi

Okadigbo

Umahi

Abii
Re: Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names by Wulfruna(f): 5:58pm On Nov 15, 2015
I can attempt a few, mostly the ones from the Anambra axis:

Azikiwe - The youth are quick to express anger.

Achebe - a contraction of Anichebe. Means 'May the Earth (goddess) watch over/protect'. Such contractions are common in the Anambra communities close to the Anambra and the Niger rivers.

Obiano - in full, it would be 'Obi anoo m mmili'. 'The heart has been softened/filled with compassion'.

Anyim - I believe the bearer was named after the Cross River - or (more generally) a big river.

Adichie - I'm not very sure. But if it means what it sounds like to me, it would mean something like 'has been replaced'. The kind of name you would give a child born after you had lost a previous one - kind of like Edochie and Onochie. I could be wrong about this one.

Tansi - Contraction of Tabansi. Means something along the lines of 'Have patience'/Endure.

Abii - a bearer of this last name I know from Mbaise says it means 'manilla money'.

4 Likes

Re: Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names by Nobody: 6:25pm On Nov 15, 2015
Re: Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names by Nobody: 6:31pm On Nov 15, 2015
I've been asking forever on this site for the meanings of some Ogbaru names.

Enebeli, Ojugbani/Ojugbana/Ojugbali, Oputa (that's already on your list).

And some Aro ones: Iphie, Oti...

Then the names of a few public figures. Etiaba, Ibiam, Ebitu, Macebuh (a famous journalist from Ukwa, Abia State. Name doesn't even sound African)

1 Like

Re: Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names by Abagworo(m): 7:09pm On Nov 15, 2015
Radoillo:

Then the names of a few public figures. Etiaba, Ibiam, Ebitu, Macebuh (a famous journalist from Ukwa, Abia State. Name doesn't even sound African)

Your contributions have given an insight into possible shortening of full names to something simpler which interferes with the true meaning. Achike could be same as Achinike. Anyim could be Ifeanyim/Iheanyim.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names by Nobody: 7:20pm On Nov 15, 2015
Abagworo:

Your contributions have given an insight into possible shortening of full names to something simpler which interferes with the true meaning. Achike could be same as Achinike. Anyim could be Ifeanyim/Iheanyim.

Contributions?

Oguta is culturally similar to Ogbaru, isn't it? Can you take a shot at the meaning of the Ogbaru names I listed. Enebeli/Eneberi/Eleberi in particular.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names by bigfrancis21: 7:22pm On Nov 15, 2015
Wulfruna:

Achebe - a contraction of Anichebe. Means 'May the Earth (goddess) watch over/protect'. Such contractions are common in the Anambra communities close to the Anambra and the Niger rivers.

Obiano - in full, it would be 'Obi anoo m mmili'. 'The heart has been softened/filled with compassion'.

Anyim - I believe the bearer was named after the Cross River - or (more generally) a big river.

Adichie - I'm not very sure. But if it means what it sounds like to me, it would mean something like 'has been replaced'. The kind of name you would give a child born after you had lost a previous one - kind of like Edochie and Onochie. I could be wrong about this one.

Tansi - Contraction of Tabansi. Means something along the lines of 'Have patience'/Endure.

Abii - a bearer of this last name I know from Mbaise says it means 'manilla money'.

Nice interpretations. However, I think 'obiano' should be 'obi ano mili' ie one's heart should not falter/give up. More of like an advice.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names by Nobody: 7:24pm On Nov 15, 2015
Abagworo:

Shortening names is very common sha. My last name was originally a three-word thing joined as one, like Odichi (O-di-chi - not my real last name). My family threw away the third part and stuck with the first two.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names by musicwriter(m): 7:43pm On Nov 15, 2015
Only few of them have meaning, cause a name doesn't always have to mean anything literally. It's just a name.

However, Obiano is Obi (palace) + Ano (where you are or in vogue or reigning). I can say it means the reigning palace. I mean "reign" as in wetin de reign.

Anyim is Ocean.

Okadigo means "the most Igbotic".

1 Like

Re: Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names by Nobody: 8:01pm On Nov 15, 2015
musicwriter:
Only few of them have meaning, cause a name doesn't always have to mean anything literally. It's just a name.

However, Obiano is Obi (palace) + Ano (where you are or in vogue or reigning). I can say it means the reigning palace. I mean "reign" as in wetin de reign.

Anyim is Ocean.

When you say some of the names don't really mean anything, are suggesting they are just sounds? Methinks names always mean something.

Your breakdown of Obiano makes the assumption that the modern colloquialism 'Ebe ano' meaning 'in vogue' was in use in the middle of the last century at least, which isn't the case. And the tone on the 'Obi' part is óbì (heart) and not òbí (palace).

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names by musicwriter(m): 8:07pm On Nov 15, 2015
Radoillo:

When you say some of the names don't really mean anything, are suggesting they are just sounds? Methinks names always mean something.

Your breakdown of Obiano makes the assumption that the modern colloquialism 'Ebe ano' meaning 'in vogue' was in use in the middle of the last century at least, which isn't the case. And the tone on the 'Obi' part is òbì (heart) and not òbí (palace).

Yes, name doesn't always have to mean anything literally, unless you want to tell me you have meaning for all these names.

We do not have the Igbo keyboard here with the diatones or whatever it is called. Obi with some arrow sign on it's head is different from Obi without that sign. But, Willie Obiano, for instance isn't pronounced as Obi for heart but as Obi for palace.

Of course, things have always been in vogue from Adam.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names by Nobody: 8:55pm On Nov 15, 2015
musicwriter:

Yes, name doesn't always have to mean anything literally, unless you want to tell me you have meaning for all these names.

We do not have the Igbo keyboard here with the diatones or whatever it is called. Obi with some arrow sign on it's head is different from Obi without that sign. But, Willie Obiano, for instance isn't pronounced as Obi for heart but as Obi for palace.

Of course, things have always been in vogue from Adam.

There are good reasons why the meaning of some names may prove elusive. It could be an archaic name whose meaning has been lost as our modern dialects evolved from their archaic earlier forms. It could be that the name is in a dialect you do not speak/understand. It could be that the name is a shortened form of a longer name, and that it's meaning will only become clear if the longer version is known. It could be that the name was borrowed from our non-Igbo neighbours. It could be that the name refers to an institution or cultural practice you are unfamiliar with. It could be any of these - but certainly not that the name is just a piece of meaningful onomatopeia.

I do not think you are pronouncing the name Obiano correctly - unless you are talking of a different Obiano, and not the one borne by the Anambra State governor.

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names by musicwriter(m): 9:02pm On Nov 15, 2015
Radoillo:

There are good reasons why the meaning of some names may prove elusive. It could be an archaic name whose meaning has been lost as our modern dialects evolved from their archaic earlier forms. It could be that the name is in a dialect you do not speak/understand. It could be that the name is a shortened form of a longer name, and that it's meaning will only become clear if the longer version is known. It could be that the name was borrowed from our non-Igbo neighbours. It could be that the name refers to an institution or cultural practice you are unfamiliar with. It could be any of these - but certainly not that the name is just a piece of meaningful onomatopeia.

I do not think you are pronouncing the name Obiano correctly - unless you are talking of a different Obiano, and not the one borne by the Anambra State governor.

For all those reasons you listed is why I said a name is just a name, i.e you don't have to understand it's meaning literally to be a name.

That was my own interpretation of Obiano. Please go ahead with your interpretation.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names by Nobody: 9:13pm On Nov 15, 2015
musicwriter:

That was my own interpretation of Obiano. Please go ahead with your interpretation.

If we are to go by how the name is pronounced, then it would be either bigfrancis21's or Wulfruna's interpretation.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:57pm On Nov 15, 2015
Okadigbo...oka di Igbo mma....still pleases Igbo.
Okika di gboo....superiority is ancient...something like that.

I don't really know the real pronounciation of that name and only then can we give an accurate meaning.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names by OdenigboAroli(m): 10:05pm On Nov 15, 2015
Ekwensi....something about not letting a curse/ charm work.

Obiano....could mean Obi ano mma...heart is never at rest

1 Like

Re: Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names by musicwriter(m): 10:43pm On Nov 15, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

I don't really know the real pronounciation of that name and only then can we give an accurate meaning.

The name there is Okadigbo. Nobody calls it Okadigbo mma. And those addition you people are making isn't the original question.

But, I agree with you on one thing, and I was trying to explain to the other guy what you just said, that in Igbo language (as well as in other African languages) pronunciation matters.

In fact, this discussion is almost useless without an Igbo keyboad to state categorically what the pronunciation is.

For Example; depending on the pronunciation, Obiano could mean Obi (heart) + Ano (four).

It could also mean Obi (palace) + Ano (where you are, in vogue, reigning).

It's a shame we even have to use English language to discuss our own Igbo language!. No thanks to brainwashing western education.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:28am On Nov 16, 2015
@Musicwriter,a lot of Igbo names are spoken words that has been shortened.
Examples..
Emee odi....Emordi.
Ora kwuelu m'.....Orakwue.
Ife di ora mma.....Ifediora.
Nna gboo ogu...Nnagbo.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:34am On Nov 16, 2015
Wulfruna:

Your Tansi could be wrong....In my town we have a word Takwansi meaning "dare" or "to dare".
Takwansi owee maa m' ula....
Would he dare to slap me.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names by sirade(m): 9:57am On Nov 16, 2015
Abagworo:
After a long hiatus from culture section I'm back with this important topic. The aim is to help Igbos from different cultural zones learn other dialects as well as to enable the younger generation learn how Igbo names were before spread of Chi based names by missionaries. I will like us to restrict it for now to Southeast Igbos and popular politicians or celebrities for now.

Here is a list for a start. We will add more as the thread progresses.

Achike Udenwa

Azikiwe

Achebe

Obiano

Uma Ukpai

Idika

Idiga

Igariwei

Anyim

Ohakim

Onovo

Ebittu Ukiwe

Ikwechegh

Oputa

Adichie

Nwapa

Ekwensi

Tansi

Okadigbo

Umahi

Abii

Obiano, Obiyo, Obilor, Obialor, Umeayo, Umealor, means the same thing depending on the dialect.
It means peace of mind.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names by Nobody: 8:15pm On Nov 16, 2015
Correct
sirade:

Obiano, Obiyo, Obilor, Obialor, Umeayo, Umealor, means the same thing depending on the dialect.
It means peace of mind.
Re: Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names by agadez007(m): 1:38pm On Nov 18, 2015
What of names like
Onu Obianyo Okide Agoha
Re: Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names by Nobody: 8:33pm On Nov 18, 2015
Names like Abagwalatu and okpeti can be difficult to interpret too. Any help?
Re: Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names by Lanceslot(m): 8:53am On Nov 19, 2015
Radoillo:

I'm from Ogbaru, but can't explain the meaning of most Ogbaru names. Names like Ofili, Ajie, Oduah, Omodi, Odawuzo, Onuwo, Uti, Obaze, Akpe, Osadebe, Osunne.etc.
Oputa is not Ogbaru name.
Re: Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names by Nobody: 9:20am On Nov 19, 2015
Lanceslot:
I'm from Ogbaru, but can't explain the meaning of most Ogbaru names. Names like Ofili, Ajie, Oduah, Omodi, Odawuzo, Onuwo, Uti, Obaze, Akpe, Osadebe, Osunne.etc.

Oputa is not Ogbaru name.

Are you sure about the emboldened? I know of a local politician from Ogwu Ikpele in Ogbaru, Anambra that goes by the name Charles Oputa. But perhaps the name is more common downriver (Oguta and co.) than upriver (Ogbaru, Anambra).

Also, I was using the word 'Ogbaru' in its wider historic sense, and not in its narrower administrative sense that limits it to a local government in Anambra.
Re: Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names by Lanceslot(m): 9:43am On Nov 19, 2015
Radoillo:

Are you sure about the emboldened? I know of a local politician from Ogwu Ikpele in Ogbaru, Anambra that goes by the name Charles Oputa. But perhaps the name is more common downriver (Oguta and co.) than upriver (Ogbaru, Anambra).

Also, I was using the word 'Ogbaru' in its wider historic sense, and not in its narrower administrative sense that limits it to a local government in Anambra.

Yea! I think there's a link between Ogwu-Okpele/Ogwu aniocha and Oguta/Imo people, their type of Igbo sounds similar so its understandable if someone from Ogwu bears Oputa, but you will hardly see people with the name from Akili ogidi upward. You are right anyway.
Re: Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names by odumchi: 11:05pm On Nov 19, 2015
An important thing to bear in mind with these names (and especially the Eastern Igbo ones) is that they were in vogue in an era when most people were multilingual and intercultural interactions were at their apex. When you take archaic names like Ukpai, Akuma, Iphie, Essien, Uduma, Ukpabi, Ivie, Oti, Uma, Agbai, Akanu, Awa, and etc out of the cultural context in which they were relevant and try to constrain or define them in modern Igbo, that's when problems arise.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names by ChinenyeN(m): 1:54am On Nov 20, 2015
Radoillo:
[...] could be an archaic name whose meaning has been lost as our modern dialects evolved from their archaic earlier forms. It could be that the name is in a dialect you do not speak/understand. It could be that the name is a shortened form of a longer name, and that it's meaning will only become clear if the longer version is known. It could be that the name was borrowed from our non-Igbo neighbours. It could be that the name refers to an institution or cultural practice you are unfamiliar with. It could be any of these - but certainly not that the name is just a piece of meaningful onomatopeia.[...]

odumchi:
An important thing to bear in mind with these names (and especially the Eastern Igbo ones) is that they were in vogue in an era when most people were multilingual and intercultural interactions were at their apex. When you take archaic names like Ukpai, Akuma, Iphie, Essien, Uduma, Ukpabi, Ivie, Oti, Uma, Agbai, Akanu, Awa, and etc out of the cultural context in which they were relevant and try to constrain or define them in modern Igbo, that's when problems arise.

The exact reasons why I rarely, if ever, get involved with name interpretations. And the exact reasons why I especially dislike Igbo people for always trying to peddle interpretations for names they know nothing about. It is one of the most annoying things for me. Not to say that this thread is an example of that. In fact, I don't believe I should have to truly explain where I'm coming from and that this thread is for the most part excluded from the point I am making.
Re: Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names by ezeagu(m): 10:38pm On Nov 21, 2015
Abagworo:

I thought Achike was the 'strong Achi tree', which I thought Ojukwu was also 'Oji ukwu'. I'm guessing from the fact that the oji (iroko), achi, and uburu trees hold great significance.

OdenigboAroli:
Ekwensi....something about not letting a curse/ charm work.

Obiano....could mean Obi ano mma...heart is never at rest

Ekwensi is short for Aniekwenansi, like Anichebe, 'the earth goddess prevents poison and witchcraft'.

Many of these names were associated with traditional beliefs and were also shortened because of Christian dogma.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Let Us Interprete Some Uncommon Igbo Names by Dhugal: 10:44pm On Nov 21, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

Can be pronounced two ways,viz:
Oka di di gboo or Okika di gboo,both meaning same thing -Superiority or being superior has been of old.

(1) (Reply)

Alausa - The Mix Of Ironies / The main origin of the Fulanis and how they dominate African politics(photos) / Eating Culture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.