Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,207 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:18 AM

Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls (50463 Views)

40 American Students Take Igbo Names After Tracing Ancestry To Igboland / 60 Igbo Names & Their Meaning / Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls – See List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by vanessaRN(f): 7:17pm On Feb 10, 2018
If you missed the Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls see link below.. https://www.nairaland.com/4338170/uncommon-yoruba-names-boys-girls

Are you looking for the most beautiful and unique Igbo names for your future baby? You have come to the right place. Here you will find a list of the most interesting and meaningful ancient names that are traditional for Delta Igbo people.

What’s there behind a person’s name?

All the nations, peoples and tribes in the world have a tradition of giving people names. In all traditions all around the globe, people’s personal names have a meaning. It’s not just a combination of letters that sounds pleasant. Ancient people believed that it’s something that could protect a person from evil spirits, give him or her a good destiny and success in life, or describe his or her personality in the best way.

The most ancient names are often the most beautiful. In the modern world and due to the clash of cultures, many names migrate between languages, countries, and cultures, people begin to forget the way their ancestors named their children.
Are Igbo names and meaning special in any way?

For Igbo people, a name is a way to express somebody’s unique personality. The majority of Igbo names are composed with the help of grammatical rules of the Igbo language. Each part of these names has a symbolic meaning. A name can reflect the circumstances of a child’s birth. Some people say that in ancient times, baby girls, future women, were named after market trading days.
What about the last name?

Unique Delta Igbo names and meaning

Now, let’s check out some traditional Delta Igbo baby names and their meaning.
Igbo baby names

Ozioma – this is both a male and a female name, which means “unique great news”
Uzoamaka – this is a female name, which means “a good journey” or “a smooth path”
Osinachi – this is a male name, which means “originating from God”
Ifeanacho – this is a male name, which means “exactly what we are searching for”
Jamuike – this is a male name, which means “encourage me” or “inspire me”
Daaluchineke/Chukwudaalu – these are both male and female names, which mean “thank you, Lord” or “thank God”
Ginikawa/Ginikachukwu – these are female names with meanings “there’s nothing greater than a child” and “there’s nothing greater than the Lord”
Akwaugo – this is a female name, which means “my precious daughter”
Sopuluchi – this is a male name, which means “respect God”
Akubundu – this is a male name, which means “wealth is life”
Amaogechukwu – this is a female name, which means “ Lord’s time is the best”
Ibeamaka – this is a male name, which means “love is in a friend”
Azuka – this is both a female and male name, which means “we grow stronger with experience”
Akumjeli – this is both a female and male name, which means “I will enjoy that wealth”
Isioma – this is a female name, which means “good luck”
Ositadimma – this is a male name, which means “May all be well since now”
Onochie – this is a female name, which means “the one who replaces”
Chukwunomso – this is both a female and male name, which means “Lord is near me”
Fumnanya – this is a female name, which means “love me”
Akuabia – this is a male name, which means “wealth has come”

How to choose a good name for your baby?

Here are several recommendations on choosing a good name for your child. To find a lovely name in specialized lists is one thing but wear it in everyday life is completely different. As parents, you should remember that if you like a certain name, it’s not a fact that your child will like it, too.

If you have twins, it may seem very cute to give them names that sound in some way similar.

source
https://www.reportnaija.ng/2018/02/10/beautiful-igbo-names-baby-boys-girls/

L

24 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by VonTrapp: 7:25pm On Feb 10, 2018
Agwoturumbe!!

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Baawaa(m): 7:27pm On Feb 10, 2018
I cannot find Ojukwu, Nnamdi,Orubebe,Azikwe etc in the list are they not good ibos names

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Thewesterner(m): 7:41pm On Feb 10, 2018
The new trend... First was yoruba names... Expecting the most peaceful tribe next

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Nobody: 7:51pm On Feb 10, 2018
Ok
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by MetroBaba1(m): 7:58pm On Feb 10, 2018
Baawaa:
I cannot find Ojukwu, Nnamdi,Orubebe,Azikwe etc in the list are they not good ibos names

114 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Odkosh: 8:50pm On Feb 10, 2018
Nice one
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by toluxa1(m): 9:09pm On Feb 10, 2018
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Leonbonapart(m): 9:09pm On Feb 10, 2018
If he is lazy, he's not igbo

78 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by OkpaAkuEriEri(m): 9:09pm On Feb 10, 2018
Kk

Kedu maka NgeneUkwuEwu?

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by yomibelle(f): 9:10pm On Feb 10, 2018
Waiting for our Hausa/Fulani counterparts

1 Like

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Odobaone: 9:10pm On Feb 10, 2018
My Daughter (Ihuomachi)is refusing everybody's hand apart from my Wyf. And my Wyf is tired of carrying her pls what do I do?

7 Likes

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by linkszelda: 9:11pm On Feb 10, 2018
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Mayydayy(m): 9:11pm On Feb 10, 2018
Chimamanda...my God will/shall not fail.
My daughter bears this one.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Edopesin: 9:11pm On Feb 10, 2018
Yoruba Guys When They Start Seeing Osho Upandan In The Soon To Come Edo Thread

4 Likes

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by sisisioge: 9:12pm On Feb 10, 2018
Uloma...
Unoma...
Chizoba
Chukwuemaka...
Adadinma...

1 Like

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by mybestlove(m): 9:12pm On Feb 10, 2018
Chimamanda= my God will never fail (female)

Ugonna = father's pride (male/female)

Chidinma= God is good (female)

Amarachi = God's grace (female)

Ugochukwu= God's peace (male/female)

Onyedikachi = Who is like God (male)

Chimamkpam =God knows my worries/needs (male)

Nneka = Mother is superior (female)

Obioma= good heart (male)

Tochukwu = Praise God (male)

And many many many others.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Benekruku(m): 9:12pm On Feb 10, 2018
Names sound like titles of Nollywood horror movies
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Mariangeles(f): 9:12pm On Feb 10, 2018
Nice.
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Pavore9: 9:12pm On Feb 10, 2018
Beautiful names.

4 Likes

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by ciopnigeria: 9:12pm On Feb 10, 2018
T
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by brunofarad(m): 9:13pm On Feb 10, 2018
My first daughter NNEDINMA

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by hubtiva: 9:14pm On Feb 10, 2018
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Haggui: 9:15pm On Feb 10, 2018
Obata osu

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Evergreen4(m): 9:15pm On Feb 10, 2018
Onyekachi - means who is greater than God.

5 Likes

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Nobody: 9:16pm On Feb 10, 2018
CHUKWUKADIBIA.....one of my best igbo names!

IBO.
HAUSA.
YORUBA.

VERY beautiful culture with beautiful people.
It keeps making me wonder why the hatred and argument y'all exhibit on this forum.

In ONE NIGERIA I BELIEVE!
GOD BLESS NIGERIA.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Alariiwo: 9:16pm On Feb 10, 2018
I know okoro, stands for charming cute guy.

But why are Igbos on here famzing Yorubas of late?
I hope ya'll will create thread for Hausa names and Fulanis likewise for us to see.

1 Like

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by maestroferddi: 9:16pm On Feb 10, 2018
Say no to ancestor names...

1 Like

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by tonio2wo: 9:16pm On Feb 10, 2018
Baawaa:
angry Orubebe??

4 Likes

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by LZAA: 9:16pm On Feb 10, 2018
vanessaRN:
If you missed the Uncommon Yoruba Names For Boys And Girls see link below.. https://www.nairaland.com/4338170/uncommon-yoruba-names-boys-girls

Are you looking for the most beautiful and unique Igbo names for your future baby? You have come to the right place. Here you will find a list of the most interesting and meaningful ancient names that are traditional for Delta Igbo people.

What’s there behind a person’s name?

All the nations, peoples and tribes in the world have a tradition of giving people names. In all traditions all around the globe, people’s personal names have a meaning. It’s not just a combination of letters that sounds pleasant. Ancient people believed that it’s something that could protect a person from evil spirits, give him or her a good destiny and success in life, or describe his or her personality in the best way.

The most ancient names are often the most beautiful. In the modern world and due to the clash of cultures, many names migrate between languages, countries, and cultures, people begin to forget the way their ancestors named their children.
Are Igbo names and meaning special in any way?

For Igbo people, a name is a way to express somebody’s unique personality. The majority of Igbo names are composed with the help of grammatical rules of the Igbo language. Each part of these names has a symbolic meaning. A name can reflect the circumstances of a child’s birth. Some people say that in ancient times, baby girls, future women, were named after market trading days.
What about the last name?

Unique Delta Igbo names and meaning

Now, let’s check out some traditional Delta Igbo baby names and their meaning.
Igbo baby names

Ozioma – this is both a male and a female name, which means “unique great news”
Uzoamaka – this is a female name, which means “a good journey” or “a smooth path”
Osinachi – this is a male name, which means “originating from God”
Ifeanacho – this is a male name, which means “exactly what we are searching for”
Jamuike – this is a male name, which means “encourage me” or “inspire me”
Daaluchineke/Chukwudaalu – these are both male and female names, which mean “thank you, Lord” or “thank God”
Ginikawa/Ginikachukwu – these are female names with meanings “there’s nothing greater than a child” and “there’s nothing greater than the Lord”
Akwaugo – this is a female name, which means “my precious daughter”
Sopuluchi – this is a male name, which means “respect God”
Akubundu – this is a male name, which means “wealth is life”
Amaogechukwu – this is a female name, which means “ Lord’s time is the best”
Ibeamaka – this is a male name, which means “love is in a friend”
Azuka – this is both a female and male name, which means “we grow stronger with experience”
Akumjeli – this is both a female and male name, which means “I will enjoy that wealth”
Isioma – this is a female name, which means “good luck”
Ositadimma – this is a male name, which means “May all be well since now”
Onochie – this is a female name, which means “the one who replaces”
Chukwunomso – this is both a female and male name, which means “Lord is near me”
Fumnanya – this is a female name, which means “love me”
Akuabia – this is a male name, which means “wealth has come”

How to choose a good name for your baby?

Here are several recommendations on choosing a good name for your child. To find a lovely name in specialized lists is one thing but wear it in everyday life is completely different. As parents, you should remember that if you like a certain name, it’s not a fact that your child will like it, too.

If you have twins, it may seem very cute to give them names that sound in some way similar.

source
https://www.reportnaija.ng/2018/02/10/beautiful-igbo-names-baby-boys-girls/

L
goblins wee not like thisgrin

8 Likes

Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Disneylady(f): 9:17pm On Feb 10, 2018
The meanings are cute
Re: Beautiful Igbo Names For Baby Boys And Girls by Nobody: 9:17pm On Feb 10, 2018
heard a new Igbo name today, and wished I could add to my Son's name.

CHIEHIURA - God never sleeps

This is similar to chimuanya , buy with a deeper undertone. Not only is he awake, he neither sleeps

14 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Women Pound Food On A Man With Mortar & Pestles (Video, Photos) / Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. / Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.