Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,952 members, 7,810,638 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:32 PM

I Want To Buy A Car Through Nairaland, But I Am Scared... - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / I Want To Buy A Car Through Nairaland, But I Am Scared... (1023 Views)

Has Anyone Bought A Car Through Nairaland?? / I Got My Car Through Nairaland / I Want To Buy A Car Through Nairaland, But I Am Scared... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Buy A Car Through Nairaland, But I Am Scared... by Potch: 11:03pm On Nov 15, 2015
I want to buy a car through this forum and I have spent quite number of hours following some car adverts. However, I am scared I might be an easy prey to a stolen car or I might be scammed of my hard earned money cool. I have searched for "how not to buy a stolen car" or "how not to fall into the hands of scammers", but I couldn't find any of such information angry.
For instance, most cars from Port Harcourt are "cheap", but something tells me to be careful. Can anyone suggest how to go about this without regretting my action in the end?

cc:
Seun
Auto moderator
Re: I Want To Buy A Car Through Nairaland, But I Am Scared... by bigtt76(f): 11:07pm On Nov 15, 2015
grin custom auctions or which one?
Re: I Want To Buy A Car Through Nairaland, But I Am Scared... by hayor2014(m): 11:22pm On Nov 15, 2015
You mean in the state where you live, there are no car dealers where you can walk to and buy a car, some of you never learn.....

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Buy A Car Through Nairaland, But I Am Scared... by lesterpullen: 11:37pm On Nov 15, 2015
just compare prices here and idea of cost of the vehicle u intend buy. visit car dealer or owner for purchase around u

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Buy A Car Through Nairaland, But I Am Scared... by Potch: 11:52pm On Nov 15, 2015
hayor2014:
You mean in the state where you live, there are no car dealers where you can walk to and buy a car, some of you never learn.....
I once lived in a state where I could log into either "Gumtree" or "Bid or Buy" and do a stress-free transaction until I came down to where I am now, and I found out the game has changed. Don't blame the "player", blame "field".
Re: I Want To Buy A Car Through Nairaland, But I Am Scared... by cimamotor: 6:54am On Nov 16, 2015
I'm an online car dealer, 07062406530 is my phone number. Call or whatsapp me.
Re: I Want To Buy A Car Through Nairaland, But I Am Scared... by rydow(m): 7:14am On Nov 16, 2015
Almost all the Used cars tagged buy and drive no issue on NL had some hidden fault which the seller will tell u later that u actually bought a Used car and not a Tokunbo. Bros anywhere u dey, kindly enter a Dealers shop, Point and Kill the ride of ur choice.

But if u are actually interested in the Used One, go wt ur trusted Kazeem Mecho, mind U. Be careful of ur choice of mechanic oooo. The one that inspected my uncles car knew it had a bad suspension and rust body, he never said it out and what I guess was he was expecting him to always bring the ride to him so he can continue chopping his money.but my uncle changed it for him and he regret his actions.

Shine ur eye well well bro!. There is only 5% Buy and drive Used cars on this forum others u Av to really spend to maintain them. The one I bought, I went to Ilorin to pick it. And today am enjoying but its not a Buy and drive as the seller claim. Its a Buy, Repair and drive.

Safe!

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Buy A Car Through Nairaland, But I Am Scared... by oblo(m): 7:38am On Nov 16, 2015
I have sold and bought quite a number of cars via this forum since I joined in 2006 or so..

A few tips from a private dealers point of view.

Go.physically with your trusted mechanic as stated by op above.

Never pay upfront before seeing the car. Pay after thoroughly inspecting. Remember to request for originals too. And definitely obtain a receipt / proof of sale duly signed by all parties..including witnesses.

If its a registered car checkout the papers properly.

If toks it. would be wise to do a vin check and request to see custom documents.( fakes dey o..so take note)

Test drive! test drive! test drive! ...some issues especially overheating or transmission problems don't manifest till the car has reached full operating temperature. Listen for out of place noises too.

Have some knowledge no matter how little of the specific car you are going for or cars in general. Google is your very good friend here.

There is nothing wrong in going to.inspect a would be purchase more than.once....guy na your money...do not be rushed by seller or your mechanic.

If a deal.is.too good to.be true...walk away..else take extreme precaution. Some too good to be true deals are actually genuine.

As a parting note..nothing comes before some good old common sense! (some say it aint common sha)

Person wen dey ask questions..no dey miss road o..well on some occasions sha if person wen he ask sef no sabi road grin

Thank you!

1 Like

Re: I Want To Buy A Car Through Nairaland, But I Am Scared... by Potch: 8:02am On Nov 16, 2015
rydow:
Almost all the Used cars tagged buy and drive no issue on NL had some hidden fault which the seller will tell u later that u actually bought a Used car and not a Tokunbo. Bros anywhere u dey, kindly enter a Dealers shop, Point and Kill the ride of ur choice.

But if u are actually interested in the Used One, go wt ur trusted Kazeem Mecho, mind U. Be careful of ur choice of mechanic oooo. The one that inspected my uncles car knew it had a bad suspension and rust body, he never said it out and what I guess was he was expecting him to always bring the ride to him so he can continue chopping his money.but my uncle changed it for him and he regret his actions.

Shine ur eye well well bro!. There is only 5% Buy and drive Used cars on this forum others u Av to really spend to maintain them. The one I bought, I went to Ilorin to pick it. And today am enjoying but its not a Buy and drive as the seller claim. Its a Buy, Repair and drive.

Safe!
Thanks, I will follow your advice.
Re: I Want To Buy A Car Through Nairaland, But I Am Scared... by Potch: 8:04am On Nov 16, 2015
oblo:
I have sold and bought quite a number of cars via this forum since I joined in 2006 or so..

A few tips from a private dealers point of view.

Go.physically with your trusted mechanic as stated by op above.

Never pay upfront before seeing the car. Pay after thoroughly inspecting. Remember to request for originals too. And definitely obtain a receipt / proof of sale duly signed by all parties..including witnesses.

If its a registered car checkout the papers properly.

If toks it. would be wise to do a vin check and request to see custom documents.( fakes dey o..so take note)

Test drive! test drive! test drive! ...some issues especially overheating or transmission problems don't manifest till the car has reached full operating temperature. Listen for out of place noises too.

Have some knowledge no matter how little of the specific car you are going for or cars in general. Google is your very good friend here.

There is nothing wrong in going to.inspect a would be purchase more than.once....guy na your money...do not be rushed by seller or your mechanic.

If a deal.is.too good to.be true...walk away..else take extreme precaution. Some too good to be true deals are actually genuine.

As a parting note..nothing comes before some good old common sense! (some say it aint common sha)

Person wen dey ask questions..no dey miss road o..well on some occasions sha if person wen he ask sef no sabi road grin

Thank you!

Thanks Bros.
Re: I Want To Buy A Car Through Nairaland, But I Am Scared... by valarinz: 10:37am On Nov 16, 2015
I have bought a car from Nairaland and I see no big deal, this is just a forum for adverts for heavens sake, all it does is to advertise the car. It now left to you to go and physically inspect and test drive the car before buying, what's so hard with that.

All those saying rubbish about going to your local car dealers, the cars those ones sell are made from mars and the one here on Nairaland are from here earth abi. You dont even know that most adverts here are made by car dealers, what now invalidates their biz is that they brought it here to nairaland?

Op please ignore most of those talking trash, if you find an advert which suits your need, fix an appointment and inspect the vehicle, if its something you can manage, you buy, else, move on.

Because a car ad is on nairaland, its a faulty vehicle, but if its in a car stand, its perfect, smh. Na only those wey never buy motor before dey talk anyhow. I stand to be corrected by saying that, unless you buy a brand new vehicle, every car you buy have one fault or the other, hidden or disclosed.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: I Want To Buy A Car Through Nairaland, But I Am Scared... by Princenady(m): 11:06am On Nov 16, 2015
op, am in d same shoe with you. I hv bn searching for a car for 4 months now and am yet to buy because of my schedule and location. if u r in a location that has a lot of dealers on nairaland, go and inspect cos i dnt c any difference as dealer is dealer whether online or on street. BTW am expecting my car by this week as i don worry my dealer to bring me motor bfr payment. never pay for what u v nt seen physically.
Re: I Want To Buy A Car Through Nairaland, But I Am Scared... by cynhamscakes(f): 11:59am On Nov 16, 2015
Op just wrote my mind. I'm in your shoes too. All the juicy stuffs seems to be in Lagos and Port Harcourt.

I have made several contacts here but the fear of getting myself entangled in a messy deal i.e Stolen car or terribly damaged but good looking car has stopped me from getting one.

No dealer will agree to sell payment on delivery to Abuja. Else i would have settled since.

(1) (Reply)

Very Neat 2000 Model Toyota Camry Le Available Forsale / Urgent Sale!!! Neatly Used Toyota Avensis 2003 Model For 800k Negotiable / Clean Reg Honda Accord 08 :- B Kings Auto

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.