Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,472 members, 7,770,163 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:18 AM

Learn And Share Epie-atissa Phrases Here - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Learn And Share Epie-atissa Phrases Here (4212 Views)

President Of Atissa Youth Council Thanks Participants Of Uge-adiafa Festival / Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) / How Some Popular English phrases/ traditions Originated. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Learn And Share Epie-atissa Phrases Here by Oshovie(m): 11:16pm On Nov 15, 2015
The Epie-Atissa language is spoken by the Epie-Atissa people of Bayelsa State. The Epie-Atissa are a sub-ethnic group of the Ijaw nation; with an extant myth of origination from Benin.

Here are some words, and phrases in Epie-Atissa (you could add to the list):
Come= yó
Go= tàa

Good morning= ya na min? (literally, "have you risen or woken up"wink

Good afternoon= tegene min ?(pronounced as "tay-gay-nay-min)

Good evening= biese min? (pronounced as "bi-yay-say-min)

How are you?= wọ yam vón zé?
Wọ yàa?

I am fine? Ózu kpọ zé? (my body is strong) or mé yà.

Who are you?= wọ ovó?

I am John= mẹmẹ John.

What is your name?=Ini wọ kón vo?

My name is Peter= Ini mẹ kó Peter
(where "ini" is name; "mẹ" is me and "kó" is called)

Come and eat= yi di.

What will you eat?=wọ di emini?

I will eat rice=me di orosi or oworoworo

I am an Epie (or Atissa)= me omo Epié.

I love you= mẹ munẹnẹ wọ.

I am angry= fàn mẹ gbol' zé.

Please, contribute to the list. Gban Épié ni Naïraland.
Re: Learn And Share Epie-atissa Phrases Here by Kirigidi(m): 9:53pm On Dec 24, 2015
Linguistically, d Epie-Attissa language is no where similar to d Ijaw language. D classificatn of Epie-Atissa as Ijaw group is mainly for political convenience nd for sake of d same mangrove envt they share, nd not because of language similarity at all. Linguistically, d Epie-Atissa language is obviously closer to Urhobo-Isoko language nd of course, d general Edoid language family than to Ijaw language. Som of d sentences u made here in Epie-Atissa share very close similarities wit Urhobo-Isoko. E.g., "Who ar u?" in Urhobo language can also also b expressd as="We ovo?". "I'm John" in Urhobo-Isoko can b written alternativly as="meme John". I'm Epie man can also b expressd in Urhobo-Isoko as="Me omo Epie".

2 Likes

Re: Learn And Share Epie-atissa Phrases Here by fratermathy(m): 2:04pm On Jul 13, 2016
Kirigidi:
Linguistically, d Epie-Attissa language is no where similar to d Ijaw language. D classificatn of Epie-Atissa as Ijaw group is mainly for political convenience nd for sake of d same mangrove envt they share, nd not because of language similarity at all. Linguistically, d Epie-Atissa language is obviously closer to Urhobo-Isoko language nd of course, d general Edoid language family than to Ijaw language. Som of d sentences u made here in Epie-Atissa share very close similarities wit Urhobo-Isoko. E.g., "Who ar u?" in Urhobo language can also also b expressd as="We ovo?". "I'm John" in Urhobo-Isoko can b written alternativly as="meme John". I'm Epie man can also b expressd in Urhobo-Isoko as="Me omo Epie".

I noticed same. However, the Epie language has more with Isoko than Urhobo language. Culturally, they seem to align with Ijaw but linguistically, the language is Edoid. Even some words and names of items are shared.
Re: Learn And Share Epie-atissa Phrases Here by Kirigidi(m): 5:27pm On Jul 13, 2016
fratermathy:

I noticed same. However, the Epie language has more with Isoko than Urhobo language. Culturally, they seem to align with Ijaw but linguistically, the language is Edoid. Even some words and names of items are shared.
D Epie-Atissa language along side Egenni language ar classified as Delta Edoid languages. Their ancestors were probably among Edoid migrant groups who desertd ancient Udo (d then capital of ancient Aka Kingdm) due to anarchy which trailed d collapse of d Ogiso Dynasty btw d 8th nd 10th centuries. These periods witnessd mass exodus of pipo out of Aka Kingdom/Biniland into surroundin regions especialy d creeks of d Niger-Delta for safety nd peace. But wit gradual restoratn of peace follwin d establishmnt of d Oba Dynasty nd change of name frm Aka Kingdm to Benin Kingdm, many of d Urhobo-Isoko groups moved out of d creeks/mangroves upward into drier lands while d Egenni nd Epie-Atissa groups stayd put or settled permanently in d creeks of d delta.

1 Like

Re: Learn And Share Epie-atissa Phrases Here by Ovywils: 5:21pm On Jun 08, 2017
More phrases please...
Re: Learn And Share Epie-atissa Phrases Here by AgoraRoad(m): 5:57pm On Jun 08, 2017
Visit [url]agoraroad.com[/url] Blog that archives FORBIDDEN knowledge from the Darknet, [url]agoraroad.com[/url]

Re: Learn And Share Epie-atissa Phrases Here by Sinistami(m): 9:17pm On Aug 04, 2018
Iam Epie maternally and Engenne (Zarama) paternally but I can't speak my language even as iam born and bred in Yenagoa.
Re: Learn And Share Epie-atissa Phrases Here by ijawcitizen(m): 6:10pm On Jan 29, 2019
Kirigidi:
D Epie-Atissa language along side Egenni language ar classified as Delta Edoid languages. Their ancestors were probably among Edoid migrant groups who desertd ancient Udo (d then capital of ancient Aka Kingdm) due to anarchy which trailed d collapse of d Ogiso Dynasty btw d 8th nd 10th centuries. These periods witnessd mass exodus of pipo out of Aka Kingdom/Biniland into surroundin regions especialy d creeks of d Niger-Delta for safety nd peace. But wit gradual restoratn of peace follwin d establishmnt of d Oba Dynasty nd change of name frm Aka Kingdm to Benin Kingdm, many of d Urhobo-Isoko groups moved out of d creeks/mangroves upward into drier lands while d Egenni nd Epie-Atissa groups stayd put or settled permanently in d creeks of d delta.

Epie was not founded by Aka migrants, Epie Ijaws accommodated the Aka migrants. Take note
Re: Learn And Share Epie-atissa Phrases Here by Sinistami(m): 6:41pm On Jan 29, 2019
ijawcitizen:

Epie was not founded by Aka migrants, Epie Ijaws accommodated the Aka migrants. Take note

If this is true then it comfirms one thing that the Izons are too accommodating and this isn't the only case where the Izons would loose their language to be mixed with the languages of migrants, but when it's Ijaw in other areas they are assimilated. take a look at Ibani,Nkoro, Kalahari, etc
Re: Learn And Share Epie-atissa Phrases Here by Fejoku: 6:39pm On Sep 08, 2021
Can anyone shed more light on the area called Igbogene around the Yenagoa area of Bayelsa? What's the meaning of the name and what language do they speak over there?
Re: Learn And Share Epie-atissa Phrases Here by Sinistami(m): 9:22pm On Oct 13, 2021
Fejoku:
Can anyone shed more light on the area called Igbogene around the Yenagoa area of Bayelsa? What's the meaning of the name and what language do they speak over there?

It means big bush or stick.

Igbo: Bush

Gene: Big

They speak Epie.
Re: Learn And Share Epie-atissa Phrases Here by Nwanyiogwashi(f): 10:22pm On Nov 06, 2021
cheesy grin
Re: Learn And Share Epie-atissa Phrases Here by Dartilo(m): 7:39am On Nov 07, 2021
I used to wonder how come an old empire as Benin use to be now have such a small population...now I c that most ethnicity in south migrated from Benin, there by depopulating the empire...
From Urohbo,to isoko,to ika,to degema,to epie,to ikwerre to Onitsha ado,to esan,to Afemai,to igede and many more

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Only Africans Especially Nigerians Hiss? Lol / Any Hausa Or Yoruba Man/ Who Can Speak Igbo Fluently? Come In / Ogun Ti Ota Ki Fi Ri Eniyan Mun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.