Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,031 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:02 AM

Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) (69878 Views)

Are Ukwuani People Of Delta State Igbos? / Ukwuani People Are Not Igbos. / The Official Ukwuani Thread: Ukwuani Bu Ani Eze (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by binjahbo: 6:41pm On Feb 19, 2011
OGA, I ask again, Do not refer to me as you would like, refer to me as i would like to be called. You can read right? My username is on the left corner of my post.

Thanks.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by EzeUche2(m): 6:41pm On Feb 19, 2011
binjahbo:

Another thread that start off as a question and end with silly idiotic folks claiming land as their own, due to language similarities.  Please before you (igbo's) consume the identities of all ethnic minorities of this great nation and employ you to go study the history of these parts before claiming these parts as igbo. If you are from Kwale, and want to be recognized as an igbo man, well more grease to your elbow. For the rest of us that still want to keep our heritage and identity, I will kindly ask you to refer to me as a Kwale man, NOT AN IGBO MAN. Simples,

I WILL SHOW YOU NO RESPECT IF YOU CONTINUE TO CALL ME A MONKEY WHEN INFACT I AM A GORILLA.

Can you please be quiet. Dialects are different from languages. A dialect is only a subset of a language.

Igbos are united through language if you like it or not. We might not have the same culture, but we do have similar languages.

Only in Africa will a group say they are different, because of differences in dialects. That is why we have a foolish notion of 250 ethnic groups even though most of these so called "ethnic groups" can be collapsed into larger groups.

Igboid speaking groups will be united like Yoruboid and Edoid speaking groups are.

They were Igbo prior to the civil war, now they are not? What nonsense is that?

2 Likes

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by EzeUche2(m): 6:45pm On Feb 19, 2011
You can keep your damn clan identity. You can keep your damn resources. But you cannot say you are not Igbo. It is a simple as that.

Why would someone want their tiny clan be an ethnic group? Haven't they seen how minorities are treated in Nigeria?

We all know the minorities do not benefit from the oil that is in their land, so a tiny Igboid speak group, better wise up or the wider Igbo will not come to their aid when they are attacked by other groups.

Then you will answer who your father's name , and your father's kin will not know you.

2 Likes

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by EzeUche2(m): 6:47pm On Feb 19, 2011
I do not blame these wayward members of some Igbo sub-groups for this nonsense.

The defeat of Biafra has been hard on the Igbos. Anyone can see this.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by binjahbo: 6:52pm On Feb 19, 2011

Can you please be quiet. Dialects are different from languages. A dialect is only a subset of a language.

Igbos are united through language if you like it or not. We might not have the same culture, but we do have similar languages.

Only in Africa will a group say they are different, because of differences in dialects. That is why we have a foolish notion of 250 ethnic groups even though most of these so called "ethnic groups" can be collapsed into larger groups.

Igboid speaking groups will be united like Yoruboid and Edoid speaking groups are.

They were Igbo prior to the civil war, now they are not? What nonsense is that?

No, You be quiet, from what you've said you simple do not know what happens outside Africa if you are going to use that as a comparism. Now take note, The Welsh man wouldn't say his English, neither would the Cantonese man claims his manadarin neighbour is Cantonese, but they all are Chinese/British to you, cos you are ignorant.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by binjahbo: 6:55pm On Feb 19, 2011
Where was the igbo man when the Benin kindgom rule 3/4 of West Africa? And you talk about your fore-fathers. Don't make me type things that will offend people that i genuinely respect
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by EzeUche2(m): 6:57pm On Feb 19, 2011
binjahbo:

No, You be quiet, from what you've said you simple do not know what happens outside Africa if you are going to use that as a comparism. Now take note, The Welsh man wouldn't say his English, neither would the Cantonese man claims his manadarin neighbour is Cantonese, but they all are Chinese/British to you, cos you are ignorant.  

Wrong. English is a different language from Welsh. Welsh is a Celtic language, while English is a Germanic language. There are no similarities.

You therefore used a wrong example.

Cantonese is a dialect of the Yue branch of Chinese, and Mandarin is also part of the Chinese language family as well, so you do not know what you are talking about.

Ukwuani is part of the Igbooid languages. Even a non-Igbo will say that Ukwuani is clearly Igbo. Do you know what Ukwuani means? It is clearly Igbo. And it means the same thing even in my own Aro dialect. Who cares you do not share the same culture. You still speak Igbo. My culture is probably more mixed than any Igbo clans, but we still see ourselves Igbo even though the Aro Igbo are thoroughly mixed with Ibibio.

4 Likes

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by EzeUche2(m): 7:01pm On Feb 19, 2011
Keep your clan identity. As long as you pay homage in the sense that you recognize you speak an Igbo dialect.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by EzeUche2(m): 7:04pm On Feb 19, 2011
binjahbo:

Where was the igbo man when the Benin kindgom rule 3/4 of West Africa? And you talk about your fore-fathers. Don't make me type things that will offend people that i genuinely respect

Where did you get that number from? 3/4 of West Africa. I dey laugh. Do you know how big West Africa is?  grin

[img]http://www.blackstudies.ucsb.edu/antillians/images/w.afr.king.jpg[/img]

Even the Songhai Empire, which was the largest West African empire could not make such a claim. Learn the history of West Africa, before you make such utterances on this forum.

This is a FAILURE of Nigeria's education system.

6 Likes

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by binjahbo: 7:34pm On Feb 19, 2011
Yes, maybe I used the wrong example to what I meant to say (even the extent to which Benin kingdom ruled). But you are still very ignorant to your claims as to why you think we speak a different dialect. If you don't know I will enlighten you, it’s Christianity and trade that brought about so many similarities. And for the Welsh and English comparism, yes the welsh speak welsh and totally different from the Irish or the Scottish even though they are all generalized as Celtic. The people do not see themselves as all Celtic as you would like Kwale people to accept this Igbo-tag head-warmer.

GET THIS STRAIGHT, most of us do not like to be associated with the Igbo-tag, hence why we stand as NDOKWA people. If you really got a problem with this, kindly take the appropriate steps to make sure it changes.

And yes, I will keep my identity, for Christ-sake I will not be here replying to you if I don’t think it’s worth fighting for. As for you, just be yourself, an Igbo man and we will all live in peace.
END OF.

1 Like

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by AndreUweh(m): 7:40pm On Feb 19, 2011
binjahbo:

Yes, maybe I used the wrong example to what I meant to say (even the extent to which Benin kingdom ruled). But you are still very ignorant to your claims as to why you think we speak a different dialect. If you don't know I will enlighten you, it’s Christianity and trade that brought about so many similarities. And for the Welsh and English comparism, yes the welsh speak welsh and totally different from the Irish or the Scottish even though they are all generalized as Celtic. The people do not see themselves as all Celtic as you would like Kwale people to accept this Igbo-tag head-warmer.

GET THIS STRAIGHT, most of us do not like to be associated with the Igbo-tag, hence why we stand as NDOKWA people. If you really got a problem with this, kindly take the appropriate steps to make sure it changes.

And yes, I will keep my identity, for Christ-sake I will not be here replying to you if I don’t think it’s worth fighting for. As for you, just be yourself, an Igbo man and we will all live in peace.
END OF.

Do not use ''we'' in this context. Feel free to be any idiotic thing you want to be, but let those who identify as Igbo be. You do not speak for Ndiukwuani but your single soul. This should not be forced into your skull.

3 Likes

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by binjahbo: 7:54pm On Feb 19, 2011
YOU ALL ARE VERY BIG FOOLS, If the think/believe an Ndokwa man is an Igbo man.

Will not reply to such claims anymore. Believe what you will.

1 Like

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Chyz2: 7:56pm On Feb 19, 2011
binjahbo:

END OF.

binjahbo, please if you want to change history please change your own. I am Ukwuani and there is nothing in our history that suggest we develope ANY dialect with the Igbo because of trade or christianity. We have always spoken like this just like other Igbo clans. In fact, SOME of your own ndokwa people are starting to resent being called Ukwuani, instead they want to be referred to as Ndokwa. You can keep the Ndokwa name, you will be a fool not to,but no that we are no different  from the larger Igbo group. You don't have to claim or deny being Igbo. cool

7 Likes

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by EzeUche2(m): 8:05pm On Feb 19, 2011
Chyz*:

binjahbo, please if you want to change history please change your own. I am Ukwuani and there is nothing in our history that suggest we develope ANY dialect with the Igbo because of trade or christianity. We have always spoken like this just like other Igbo clans. In fact, SOME of your own ndokwa people are starting to resent being called Ukwuani, instead they want to be referred to as Ndokwa. You can keep the Ndokwa name, you will be a fool not to,but no that we are no different  from the larger Igbo group. You don't have to claim or deny being Igbo. cool

Thank you very much my IGBO brother!

3 Likes

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by AndreUweh(m): 8:06pm On Feb 19, 2011
binjahbo:

YOU ALL ARE VERY BIG FOOLS, If the think/believe an Ndokwa man is an Igbo man.

Will not reply to such claims anymore. Believe what you will.
Brain-dead monkey, you are the one fooling your imbecilic self here. At first, you said Welsh and English are the same. Later you said that Benin ruled the entire West Africa. You were thoroughly thought lessons by Ezeuche.
Now an Ukwuani son has shut your smelly mouth up, so stop displaying further stupidity in this thread, jobless freak.

1 Like

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by AndreUweh(m): 8:42pm On Feb 19, 2011
Chyz*:

binjahbo, please if you want to change history please change your own. I am Ukwuani and there is nothing in our history that suggest we develope ANY dialect with the Igbo because of trade or christianity. We have always spoken like this just like other Igbo clans. In fact, SOME of your own ndokwa people are starting to resent being called Ukwuani, instead they want to be referred to as Ndokwa. You can keep the Ndokwa name, you will be a fool not to,but no that we are no different from the larger Igbo group. You don't have to claim or deny being Igbo. cool
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by excanny: 9:26pm On Feb 19, 2011
Another round of headache. How I wish my Igbo brothers would learn to always AGREE with these Igbo denials than trying to 'convince' them.

What determines ethnicity?

Language?

Culture?

Origin/History?

Or Belief?

Personally, I think the last two are the most important.

P.S Why are most Igbo denials new posters? I keep noticing this all the time.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by binjahbo: 9:54pm On Feb 19, 2011
As I said earlier, I was going to let this go, but, I assure you, THIS will be the last/final post from me on this forum. I surely know I wouldn’t be missed  grin

I am Ukwuani and there is nothing in our history that suggest we develope ANY dialect with the Igbo because of trade or Christianity. We have always spoken like this just like other Igbo clans. In fact, SOME of your own ndokwa people are starting to resent being called Ukwuani, instead they want to be referred to as Ndokwa

If you’re going to refer to me as YOUR people, instead of OUR people. That goes to shows you are not from the Ndokwa local gov area.

Wrong. English is a different language from Welsh. Welsh is a Celtic language, while English is a Germanic language. There are no similarities.
You therefore used a wrong example.
Cantonese is a dialect of the Yue branch of Chinese, and Mandarin is also part of the Chinese language family as well, so you do not know what you are talking about.

And I can also tell you that,  go tell an English man his german, because of the language he speaks. Anyways, Never said the Welsh or Cantonese was/is English/chinese. My point was in terms of self identity.

Brain-dead monkey, you are the one fooling your imbecilic self here. At first, you said Welsh and English are the same. Later you said that Benin ruled the entire West Africa. You were thoroughly thought lessons by Ezeuche.
Now an Ukwuani son has shut your smelly mouth up, so stop displaying further stupidity in this thread, jobless freak

You are just a big joke. Keyboard warrior we got here. Where did I say the Welsh are English? Wow, i might have over suggested, But Benin rules the entire West Africa? No where in my post did i say/mean this,  For your information my Mum is Welsh born in Newport and my Dad’s was born in Umusadege. That’s why I used the examples I used. On the jobless note,  I think it would be quite insensitive for me to go down that route with you especially.

And as for Ezeuche, you are a typical Igbo man. Simply disregarding my posts does not make yours any more useful. Perhaps, If you had realized that your personal assessment of the failures of your fore-fathers to subdue what was never one single tribe known as Igbo, further lets me know that I am different from you. And want nothing to do with you. Hence, why you fail to see my point.

Well, now I wish I did not revive this dead thread. It’s like typing to drones, with no common sense or control. Typical 9ja style. Forceful argument.

But as I walk through the doors, kindly ask yourself some questions first.

WHY ARE YOU FIGHTINGFOR WHAT IS NOT YOURS?

WHAT DO YOU HOPE TO GAIN?

AREN’T YOU HAPPY WITH WHAT IS KNOWN TODAY AS IGBO LAND?

Farewell,

Farts as he walks through the doors

1 Like

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by ChinenyeN(m): 10:10pm On Feb 19, 2011
binjahbo:

I assure you, THIS will be the last/final post from me on this forum.
Farewell,
Thank You.

1 Like

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by ChinenyeN(m): 10:23pm On Feb 19, 2011
excanny:

What determines ethnicity?
The same things that determine an individuals membership into an ethnic community.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by excanny: 10:43pm On Feb 19, 2011
ChinenyeN:

The same things that determine an individuals membership into an ethnic community.

Are they different from the things I listed previously?
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Obiagu1(m): 10:51pm On Feb 19, 2011
Over political correctness shouldn't kill the Igbos.
We know our limits, our influence. When the time comes, we'll take everywhere, no exceptions, that has Igbo history and language no matter how little it is.

If you pretend you're an angel, you'll definitely end up with nothing and be the scorn of all.

We know who we are, everyone is equal before the law and we will not treat anyone unfairly.

1 Like

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by ChinenyeN(m): 11:10pm On Feb 19, 2011
excanny:

Are they different from the things I listed previously?
In a way, yes. In a way, no. So you understand, these are the things that I'm talking about. . .

1. Social or cultural affiliation
2. Blood affiliation (in this instance, 'blood' is more in terms of lineage, and not strictly genetics, if you understand what I mean)
3. Right of soil

These three things help determine the individual's membership or non-membership into an ethnic community. Then from there, you can get some idea of the different ethnic communities/groups/ethnicities. You can see how they can be linked to the things you listed, but aren't necessarily synonymous with them.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Chyz2: 11:14pm On Feb 19, 2011
binjahbo:

If you’re going to refer to me as YOUR people, instead of OUR people. That goes to shows you are not from the Ndokwa local gov area.

No I am not from any of the Ndokwa LGAs, I am from Ukwuani LGA. Our clan is our name. Your people are still trying to figure out whether they want to be Igbo, Ukwuani, Ndokwa, or just "Delta". grin

2 Likes

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Nobody: 2:10am On Feb 21, 2011
Remember Olaudah Equiano a/k/a Gustavus Vassa? He stated in his biography that he was from "Essaka" in Benin Empire. "Essaka" is Ashaka in Ukwuani. However, Olaudah was more proud of his Igbo heritage.  He would tell everyone proudly I am "Eboe." He was the first person to attempt to write Igbo words using the English alphabet.

Comparative to the stolen art of Benin, the "Ikenga" statute in the London museum was stolen from Ukwuani.  I am from the Enuani clan of Anioma and in my opinion, any Anioma person that says he is not Igbo is mis-informed and needs to be re-educated. We belong to one of the most industrious and ingenuous"tribes" (I'll rather call Igbo a nation) in the world and should be proud of it.

As a clan, Anioma harnessing their IGBO ingenuity has arguably produced more great individuals per capita than other people.  We must also not forget that Anioma eccentric army officers brought the chaos that consumed the entire Igbo nation  in 1966.  You will never hear the Igbos from across the Niger condemn Nzeogwu and his misadventure.  In fact, they adore him because they feel despite his mistakes he exemplifies what makes the Igbo great, excellence!  One of the great officers of the Biafran army was an Ukwuani man named Nzefili amongst many others from Ukwuani/Ndokwa axis.

7 Likes

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Obiagu1(m): 3:43am On Feb 21, 2011
omonuan:

Remember Olaudah Equiano a/k/a Gustavus Vassa? He stated in his biography that he was from "Essaka" in Benin Empire. "Essaka" is Ashaka in Ukwuani. However, Olaudah was more proud of his Igbo heritage.  He would tell everyone proudly I am "Eboe." He was the first person to attempt to write Igbo words using the English alphabet.

Comparative to the stolen art of Benin, the "Ikenga" statute in the London museum was stolen from Ukwuani.  I am from the Enuani clan of Anioma and in my opinion, any Anioma person that says he is not Igbo is mis-informed and needs to be re-educated. We belong to one of the most industrious and ingenuous"tribe" (I'll rather call Igbo a nation) in the world and should be proud of it.

As a clan, Anioma harnessing their IGBO ingenuity has arguably produced more great individuals per capita than other people. We must also not forget that Anioma eccentric army officers brought the chaos that consumed the entire Igbo nation  in 1966.  You will never hear the Igbos from across the Niger condemn Nzeogwu and his misadventure.  In fact, they adore him because they feel despite his mistakes he exemplifies what makes the Igbo great excellence.  One of the great officers of the Biafran army was an Ukwuani man named Nzefili amongst many others from Ukwuani/Ndokwa axis.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by EzeUche2(m): 6:23am On Feb 21, 2011
omonuan:

Comparative to the stolen art of Benin, the "Ikenga" statute in the London museum was stolen from Ukwuani.  I am from the Enuani clan of Anioma and in my opinion, any Anioma person that says he is not Igbo is mis-informed and needs to be re-educated. We belong to one of the most industrious and ingenuous"tribes" (I'll rather call Igbo a nation) in the world and should be proud of it.

As a clan, Anioma harnessing their IGBO ingenuity has arguably produced more great individuals per capita than other people.  We must also not forget that Anioma eccentric army officers brought the chaos that consumed the entire Igbo nation  in 1966.  You will never hear the Igbos from across the Niger condemn Nzeogwu and his misadventure.  In fact, they adore him because they feel despite his mistakes he exemplifies what makes the Igbo great, excellence!  One of the great officers of the Biafran army was an Ukwuani man named Nzefili amongst many others from Ukwuani/Ndokwa axis.

Bless you my brother! Bless you and your lineage!

1 Like

Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by excanny: 7:22am On Feb 21, 2011
omonuan:

Story story. Can you provide links to back up your claims, considering how controversial this subject is?
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by AndreUweh(m): 9:05pm On Feb 21, 2011
excanny:

Story story. Can you provide links to back up your claims, considering how controversial this subject is?
There is sense in what he wrote. Even Hon Oputa and other Ukwuanis of his generation played active roles in the defunct Igbo state Union.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by excanny: 1:48pm On Feb 23, 2011
Andre Uweh:

There is sense in what he wrote. Even Hon Oputa and other Ukwuanis of his generation played active roles in the defunct Igbo state Union.

Actually, I was only spurring him(omonuan) on because the Olaudah Equiano angle he was taking will most likely lay this controversy to rest. That was why I was asking him to back them with solid proofs.
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Nobody: 8:05pm On Feb 23, 2011
" Perhaps because of the military and
economic power of the Benin empire, the
Onitsha Kingdom that was originally inhabited
only by Igbos was occupied in the
16th century by migrants from Benin. Some
of these migrants also settled in other Igbo
lands which were between Onitsha and Benin
City. For this reason, the Old Kingdom
of Benin consisted of both the Edo and non-
Edo speaking groups, which are not linguistically
or genetically related to each
other. Some of the non-Edo speaking
groups include the Ika, Aniocha and the
Ukwuani speakers that inhabited Essaka—
one of those lands located between Onitsha
town and Benin City. These language
groups have some form of Igbo language
embedded in their vernacular. One could
say that the Ika, Aniocha and Ukwuani vernacular
are some forms of “mixed” Igbo
language."

Friday Onyeoziri of Univ. of massachussets HUMAN ARCHITECTURE: JOURNAL OF THE SOCIOLOGY OF SELF-KNOWLEDGE
Re: Are Ukwuani People Igbos(ukwuani People Please Talk) by Chyz2: 10:01pm On Feb 23, 2011
" Perhaps because of the military and
economic power of the Benin empire, the
Onitsha Kingdom that was originally inhabited
only by Igbos was occupied in the
16th century by migrants from Benin. Some
of these migrants also settled in other Igbo
lands which were between Onitsha and Benin
City. For this reason, the Old Kingdom
of Benin consisted of both the Edo and non-
Edo speaking groups, which are not linguistically
or genetically related to each
other. Some of the non-Edo speaking
groups include the Ika, Aniocha and the
Ukwuani speakers that inhabited Essaka—
one of those lands located between Onitsha
town and Benin City. These language
groups have some form of Igbo language
embedded in their vernacular. One could
say that the Ika, Aniocha and Ukwuani vernacular
are some forms of “mixed” Igbo
language."

Friday Onyeoziri of Univ. of massachussets HUMAN ARCHITECTURE: JOURNAL OF THE SOCIOLOGY OF SELF-KNOWLEDGE

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Edo Groom’s Dance Incurs Oba Of Benin’s Anger As Palace Places Curse / The African Phenotype Diversity Thread / If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.