Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,285 members, 7,836,264 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:14 AM

Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times (3047 Views)

Arms Deals: EFCC Seizes Ex-chief Of Army Staff’s N4B Estate / $15bn Arms Deals: Panel Traces N2bn To Five Children Of Ex-army Chief / $2.1bn Arms Deals: N1.5bn Traced To Ex-minister’s Son-the Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by austentero: 7:37am On Nov 18, 2015
ABUJA – Nigeria’s president on Tuesday ordered
the arrest of the former president’s national
security adviser for allegedly stealing more than $2
billion meant to purchase weapons for the military
to fight Islamic militant Boko Haram rebels.
“Thousands of needless Nigerian deaths would
have been avoided” if the money had been
properly spent, Femi Adesina, an adviser to
President Muhammadu Buhari, said in a statement.
It accuses Sambo Dasuki, a key adviser to former
President Goodluck Jonathan, of awarding
“phantom contracts” to buy 12 helicopters, four
fighter jets, and bombs and ammunition that never
were supplied, worth a total of $2 billion.
Dasuki also got the Central Bank to transfer $142.6
million to a company with accounts in the United
States, the United Kingdom and in West Africa for
unknown purposes and without contracts, Adesina
said.
Dasuki denied any wrongdoing in an interview
Tuesday night with the PR Nigeria news agency,
and said he was proud that in the final months
under his watch Nigeria’s military ousted Boko
Haram from a self-declared Islamic caliphate set
up after the rebels had taken control of a large
swath of northeast Nigeria.
The offensive came as Jonathan faced elections.
Last year, soldiers told the AP they were going into
battle without food and armed with only 30 bullets
each.
The State Security Service has kept Dasuki under
house arrest for more than a week despite a
Federal High Court order allowing him to travel
abroad for medical care. The court had allowed
Dasuki bail after he pleaded innocent to other
charges of money-laundering, involving more than
$423,000 found in cash, and illegal possession of
arms seized at two of his homes.
The State Security Service, an agency formerly
under Dasuki’s control, said he refused to answer
questions about arms deals — charges Dasuki
denied Tuesday.
Social media buzzed with comments about revenge
and payback. Dasuki is said to have arrested
Buhari, a former military dictator who seized
power from a democratically elected government,
when he was ousted in a palace coup in 1985.
Tuesday’s development follows an interim report
by a presidential committee investigating arms
procurement, part of the fight against Nigeria’s
endemic corruption that Buhari has waged since
taking office in May after defeating Jonathan in
elections.
Dasuki, 60, had usurped the role of the Ministry of
Defense in procuring weapons. He was called
before a Senate committee last year to explain
South Africa’s seizure of $9.3 million in cash from
a private Nigerian jet that landed in Johannesburg
and a $5.7 million bank transfer that South Africa
said involved an illegal arms deal. Dasuki said the
deals were legitimate.
Dasuki, a retired army lieutenant colonel,
participated in every coup in Nigeria going back to
the 1980s
Adesina says Buhari has also ordered the arrest of
several others linked to the scandal.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/11/18/world/nigerian-ex-president-goodluck-jonathan-stole-2-billion-via-fake-arms-deals-current-president-says/#.VkwZbzNw0WQ

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by eagleae7(m): 7:46am On Nov 18, 2015
End time things

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by lmm4real: 7:47am On Nov 18, 2015
Humm abi them one learn hw to do am
Re: Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by lanrefront1(m): 7:55am On Nov 18, 2015
Can't blame the Japan times for coming to that conclusion. They do not believe, that in a properly run country, a national security adviser can never be able to usurp the function of the defence ministry and commit such gargantuan amounts of financial fraud/gatft without being supported by his boss, the President

11 Likes

Re: Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by Lanretoye(m): 8:10am On Nov 18, 2015
Can you imagine someone putting the lives of Nigerians at the risk of external invasion,I'm nt sure the NA can confront the military of Benin republic with the present state of ammunitions.
Yet he is somebody's HERO.
Third world war is looming,ordinary boko haram na threat.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by sigmundfreud(m): 8:14am On Nov 18, 2015
lanrefront1:
Can't blame the Japan times for coming to that conclusion. They do not believe, that in a properly run country, a national security adviser can never be able to usurp the function of the defence ministry and commit such gargantuan amounts of financial fraud/gatft without being supported by his boss, the President
Totally on point!

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by Nobody: 8:15am On Nov 18, 2015
I hope he and his boss, the ex-president are hung from their necks until they be dead.

thousands of Nigerian lives have been lost because of their greed. may they never see joy all the days of their lives. (that curse for them is on behalf of the Chibok girls who are still being raped daily as we speak).

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by dayo23(f): 8:18am On Nov 18, 2015
Jonathan is a Terrorist

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by ofala(m): 8:18am On Nov 18, 2015
I really don't know how to react to this because I find it so hard to believe that the former President just looked the other way while all these massive sleaze went on....

Can this be a tip of the deep rot this past administration was in?

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by vkeydon(m): 8:19am On Nov 18, 2015
choi ching ny'ong'------------ i sabi speak Japan wella infact i understand their stupidity in a unique way

this are frustrated bastards bent in spoiling the image of this country
Re: Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by hinwazaka: 8:21am On Nov 18, 2015
Everyone knows that prime minister Abe is a buttkisser and extension of Obama's ass.
Re: Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by Pepperoni2015: 8:24am On Nov 18, 2015
this is junk jonarlism, if am Gej I will sue this Japan times,though not a fan of Gej, at no point did the government accused the former president. it's the NHS for lord's sakes.
Re: Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by Nobody: 8:27am On Nov 18, 2015
--dp_-
Re: Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by Nobody: 8:27am On Nov 18, 2015
vkeydon:
choi ching ny'ong'------------ i sabi speak Japan wella infact i understand their stupidity in a unique way

this are frustrated bastards bent in spoiling the image of this country
Japan is light years ahead of Nigeria in all ramifications. Why would they want to destroy your image? Are they your mates?

fucking Nigerians think Nigeria is a paradise..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by Opinedecandid(m): 8:32am On Nov 18, 2015
Nigerians can so cook fake news.
Re: Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by SpermDonor: 8:35am On Nov 18, 2015
grin grin
Re: Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by j4sure(m): 8:37am On Nov 18, 2015
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Re: Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by denedene(m): 8:43am On Nov 18, 2015
Bring fuel first then we can about this corruption
Re: Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by IAMTHEHERO: 8:47am On Nov 18, 2015
I didn't see any where Japan is mentioned ooo
Re: Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by angiography(m): 8:47am On Nov 18, 2015
Soon the wailers association will come as rabid dogs to derail this thread with their saTANist ignorance....

Every body must account for his deeds

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by babadee1(m): 8:48am On Nov 18, 2015
denedene:
Bring fuel first then we can about this corruption

This corruption, as you put it, is why there is no fuel.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by mrmetoo1: 8:58am On Nov 18, 2015
sonOfLucifer:

Japan is light years ahead of Nigeria in all ramifications. Why would they want to destroy your image? Are they your mates?

fucking Nigerians think Nigeria is a paradise..

Allow the guy o!! He thinks they send us like that. I'm sure this story was just too incredible and scandalous to overlook. What's Japan's business with Nigeria's image

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by T051N(m): 9:43am On Nov 18, 2015
Opinedecandid:
Nigerians can so cook fake news.
fake news? Google is your friend..
Re: Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by Holyman3(m): 3:09pm On Nov 24, 2015
ofala:
I really don't know how to react to this because I find it so hard to believe that the former President just looked the other way while all these massive sleaze went on....

Do you really believe this ?
Re: Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by ckmayoca: 3:55pm On Nov 24, 2015
If there is an evidence then arrest him but if u can't arrest him base on no evidence then shut up until you die.
Re: Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by sisisioge: 6:53am On Apr 09, 2017
ofala:

What can we say? He actually doesn't believe in corruption. By the way, my PM doesn't work. Check my mail add on my profile.
Re: Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by Guestlander: 8:22am On Apr 09, 2017
2015 news.
Re: Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by fallout87: 12:01pm On Apr 09, 2017
ALLEGEDLY

Can any of you foolish people read our understand? They are reporting an ALLEGED crime not giving a verdict.

All these media trials with ALLEGED crime have failed btw.
Re: Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by Splashme: 12:08pm On Apr 09, 2017
Some Nigerians have fish brains.

The Japanese paper is only reporting what the current president Buhari said.

Besides, it even said "allegedly"

It is same media trial the Buhari govt is good at
Re: Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by bantudra: 12:37pm On Apr 09, 2017
Splashme:
Some Nigerians have fish brains.

The Japanese paper is only reporting what the current president Buhari said.

Besides, it even said "allegedly"

It is same media trial the Buhari govt is good at

you dont make sense...this report was from 2015.......even britain called us fantasticaly corrupt around that time....

jonathan can not become president again....
Re: Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by ZombiePUNISHER: 3:03pm On Apr 09, 2017
dayo23:
Jonathan is a Terrorist
Lanretoye:
Can you imagine someone putting the lives of Nigerians at the risk of external invasion,I'm nt sure the NA can confront the military of Benin republic with the present state of ammunitions.
Yet he is somebody's HERO.
Third world war is looming,ordinary boko haram na threat.
Why this people hate this ijaw man like this is beyond me....
Is he more corrupt than obasanjo or Buhari
Why are they taking it personal
Smh for afonjaz

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Ex-president Stole $2 Billion Via Fake Arms Deals- Japan Times by SUPERBLOOM(f): 6:58pm On May 01, 2022
Now u understand part of the reasons good luck Jonathan had to go

(1) (Reply)

Two Things Missing In Nigeria - Pastor Chris / Senator Dino Maleye Wrote WAEC At Age 12 If He Is 43years Old / IGP Says Anti-grazing Law Should Be Suspended

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.