Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,816 members, 7,810,135 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:27 PM

Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. (4292 Views)

Why EFCC Is Yet To Prosecute Odili – Magu / Mayday! Mayday!! "EFCC Is Broke"-Cant Pay Salaries / EFCC Is Incompetent In Prosecuting High Profile Politicians - Human Rights Watch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by Ijawman(m): 5:46pm On May 20, 2009
Massive looting at EFCC. Waziri fingered. -National Daily
Submitted by salstep
Today
Default Massive looting at EFCC. Waziri fingered. -National Daily
-SR

http://www.nationaldailyngr.com

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/main-square/32183-massive-looting-efcc-waziri-fingered-national-daily.html

Is this the beginning of the end of the incumbent Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Mrs. Farida Waziri? The question becomes pertinent should one consider the precarious situation the former Assistant Inspector General of Police (AIG) has suddenly found herself. National Daily authoritatively gathered that the Presidency has ordered a comprehensive probe to be carried out regarding Mrs. Farida's handling of the commission's purse. In fact the probe of the anti-graft boss who has also been accused of collecting gratification from some individuals and sweeping their investigation under the carpet, we learnt , is nearing conclusion.

The directive, sources revealed, was as a result of a petition forwarded to the Presidency. Not happy with the content of the petition, President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua was reported to have invited the Chairman on Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offences Commission (ICPC) Rtd. Honourable Justice Emmanuel Ayoola to Aso Rock for executive briefing on the matter. By the time Ayoola left the Presidency, sources disclosed that, he was armed with enough conviction to speedily implement the task.

ICPC had since set up a special team which has commenced investigation into the damning allegation, most of which National Daily got hold of.
It was gathered that investigation into Mrs. Farida's tenure at the EFCC has revealed troubling details of her alleged involvement in direct stealing from the commission's coffer. She was accused of having specifically used, her "Special Assistant" to make cash withdrawals from the agency. These withdrawals have been made under the bogus heading of "Information Funds".

Further investigation showed that between June 23 2008 and October 22nd, Waziri with the aid of her blood brother, Yisa Terfa Moses, whom she hired as her 'Special Assistant' withdrew the sum of N75 million as "Information Fund" from the account of the EFCC.

Waziri had earlier recruited a police officer of her ethnic stock, a Tiv named James Vandefan Tersudh, to take charge of the accounts' department at the EFCC, A breakdown of Waziri's alleged "Information Fund" withdrawals showed that on Monday June 23, 2008, she took out N5 million. Three days later, on June 26, 2008, she made cash withdrawals of N15 million. She followed up with withdrawals of N15 million on July 22nd 2008 and another N15 million on July 28, 2008.

Waziri's alleged systematic looting of EFCC funds resumed on August 2nd 2008 with cash withdrawal of N2 million, followed by another withdrawal of N3 million on August 14th 2008. Mrs. Waziri on September 20th and October 14th 2008, respectively, also took out N20 million in two- installments of N10 million.
Sources revealed that it has been pretty difficult for investigators to determine any specific "information" projects that the withdrawn monies were used for. Also, no documentation on their usage were provided in the account books of the EFCC.

However, two sources within the agency informed that, Waziri used the funds to fete and "take care" of journalists in an attempt to shore up her badly battered image.

The cash withdrawals, National Daily gathered, coincided with the discovery of Waziri's curious purchase of Federal Government owned properties in the Wuse II Area of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Abuja. As a Retired Former Assistant Inspector General of Police (AIG), Waziri owned only one plot of land in Maitama Area of Abuja. Investigations, however revealed, that on May 26th 1999, she was allocated plot 601 at 23 Aso Garden Estate, Maitama, Abuja. One Barrister Mike Ejeh submitted her application.

Since her assumption of office in 2008, Waziri, investigation revealed, has acquired several properties in Abuja. She purchased from Federal Capital Development Authority (FCDA) a Federal Government house valued at N50.04 million at number 10 Port Novo Street, Wuse 11, Abuja. The house was described in FCDA records seen by National Daily as a Five-bedroom detached house with boy's quarters.

Waziri paid N5 million for the property through a bank draft issued by Access Bank of Nigeria Plc, The property is currently renovated. A source confirmed that the Access Bank link was suspicious. On assuming office as EFCC chair, she was reported to have moved almost all EFCC Accounts to the bank where her daughter was employed. Shortly after her relocation of the agency's account, investigators confronted EFCC spokesperson Femi Babafemi who admitted that the Access Bank has EFCC account. However, he said only the EFCC salary accounts were moved there.

It was not clear how Mrs. Waziri paid she balance of N45 Million on the property, but a source at FCT told us that the former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Aliyu Umar Modibbo, grossly undervalued the property. "The Minister was in trouble because of serious cases of corruption, and he offered the house to Mrs. Waziri at a give-away price m order to secure her support otherwise a property of that type in Wuse 11 cost at least N150 million.”

Waziri, sources disclosed, "was responding to allegations contained in petition which accused El-Rufai of embezzling N32 billion. The Nigerian Senate was also simultaneously probing the alleged embezzlement. The funds at the centre of the investigation were monies which El -Rufai placed with an FCT-owned Loans and Savings Bank, Aso Savings, from which Federal Civil Servants were supposed to draw housing loans.

Unknown to Yar'adua, Modibbo had withdrawn the funds from Aso Savings and distributed it amongst various commercial banks leaving behind a meagre N7 Billion, In "gratitude", the banks paid Modibbo the interest generated from the deposits, Even a Presidency circular asking him to return the funds to the Central Bank of Nigeria was ignored. EFCC agents' found out about the extensive fraud as they interrogated Modibbo and took his statements - which were forwarded to the Presidency before Waziri could see them. Unaware of her agents' damning report, she commissioned another report on Modibbo, highly favourable, which was again dispatched to the Presidency,
Briefed on Modibbo's extensive corruption dossier with Presidency, it was reported in September 2008 that he was penciled for removal from office. While awaiting his removal from office, Modibbo hurriedly allocated lands to 24 individuals on September 24th 2008.

An FCT official informed that all ministerial approvals derive from land applications. Two editors of two major news media contacted, stressed the same point. Further insight was shared by an official at the EFCC familiar with details of Modibbo's corrupt deals who stated that the former minister's decision to allocate lands to Waziri alongside top newspapers editors was done to ensure that the transaction was not reported and that Modibbo's extensive scams at the FCT were covered up.

Waziri's Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) was offered to her the next day. The C of 0 read that she was allocated Plot 1460 of 25 Trent River Street, Maitama, Abuja with file number 60219 in Cadastral Zone, B06 of MABUSHI.

However, her plot soon assume a game of hide-and-seek. According to a source within FCT who knew about the transaction, Waziri and the former minister suspected that people were aware of the land allocated to her. Waziri, then, arranged with the FCT to change the ownership of her land. On October 13th 2008, the Federal Capital Territory Administration Abuja Geographic Information System (AGIS) wrote her a "withdrawal letter" titled "Notice of Withdrawal of Right of Occupancy", the short letter, addressed to Mr. Farida Mzamber Waziri, stated that her Right of Occupancy to Plot 1460 within B06 Mabushi was revoked by "DISCRETION BY AUTHORITY." The letter listed the Director of Development Control, Director Legal, and Director "URP" as the source of the letter.

Two days after the revocation, the same plot was allocated to Waziri's daughter, Zainab Naomi Salawu. The same plot was now assigned a new file number GO 60167. In an attempt to hide the exact identity of the re-allocated land, FCT Officials gave the address as 2 River Trent Crescent, Maitama - Abuja.

In a move that betrayed her stake in the land, Mrs. Waziri sent Mohammed A. Bako, the EFCC protocol officer, to sign a letter accepting the land. Bako, who signed on behalf of Zainab Naomi Salawu, foolishly gave his EFCC Office Phone Number 09-6441118, and Mobile Number: 0803-325-5447, his E-mail Address: abako@,  as well as his home address in Karu Phase 1 Area of Abuja. Zainab Salawu is believed to own a Hair Saloon in London known as "NAOMI DAVIDS",

The land grab by Mrs. Waziri is coming on the heels of a recent revelation of her receipt of a Mercedes Benz GL 450 gift from Governor Godswill Akpabio of Akwa Ibom.

Details of the ongoing investigation equally revealed that Waziri has since February 2009 been receiving the sum of N50 million monthly from Intercontinental Bank Plc,N20 million monthly from Access Bank and NI0 million monthly from Skye Bank Plc, These monies, sources disclosed, represent interests accruing to the over N300 billion recovered looted funds including the N17 billion from former Inspector General of Police, Mr. Tafa Balogun, placed as fixed deposits in these commercial banks by the EFCC. These funds, National Daily gathered, were supposed to be placed in the federation account instead of these commercial banks.

Between March and April 2009, Waziri, reports have it, singlehandedly collected the sum of N15 million from the commission's Account to bribe journalists so as to carry good stories to her credit. This expenditure was never provided for at the EFCC budget of 2009.

Waziri is also yet to account for the bogus N200 million she spent on behalf of the commission in organizing the 'Jamboree and Shenanigan' called ANCOR early this year. She spent N700 million each in the ANCOR launch, in Lagos and Abuja. Again, this was never provided for in either the 2008 or 2009 EFCC budgets.

Her corrupt practices also extend to collection of bribes and gratification. For instance, she collected the sum of N50 million from Dr. Olusegun Agagu (former Governor of Ondo State) to carpet investigation into his regime's serial fraud and looting as exposed by the petition from a renowned and fearless Anti-corruption activists, Barrister OgboIi Charles and Barrister Ugochukwu Osuagwu. N30 million was also collected as bribe by Waziri from Mr. Tayo Alasoadura, former Commissioner for Finance, Ondo State, This is in addition to the N50 million she collected in April 2009 from Aliko Dangote so as to soft pedal on the probe of his alleged fraudulent activities and economic sabotage.

Additional allegation revealed the breach of Federal Character Principles. Early last April, Waziri recruited 20 lawyers for the Agency's legal department and 11 senior staff. The said interview for these lawyers was conducted by her principal staff officer (PSO), Mr. Sango, without the knowledge of the commission's secretary who is the Commission's Chief Administrative officer. And to compound this violation, 11 of these lawyers and all the 11 senior staff were from Benue State, her state of origin.
Re: Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by Lagosboy: 5:52pm On May 20, 2009
this one no be news nah , everyone knows that she is a lackey and thief heself.
Re: Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by blacksta(m): 5:53pm On May 20, 2009
Doomed Country

when the police is also a thief

ba ra wo ban sa
Re: Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by Ijawman(m): 6:01pm On May 20, 2009
The woman reminds one of Tafa Balogun and Sunday Ehindero, two highest law enforcers who turned out to be common thieves.
Re: Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by asha80(m): 6:07pm On May 20, 2009
Is this the efcc some people are always hoping on? I no fit cough.Everybody grab your own now!
Re: Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by Fhemmmy: 6:11pm On May 20, 2009
This cant be true, please, someone tell me that i was misreading the article.
1. The woman must be so daft to have withdraw money like this.
2. I thot she was in position to arrest crooks, na wa oh, so all along, the have used a cat to be watching the rats?
What a mess.
It is amazing to know that this woman would do something of this sort.
I will like to know the process of hiring her to start with, no background check to know she was Enahoro's niece?
I have no idea what else to say
Re: Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by blacksta(m): 6:23pm On May 20, 2009
My God - See how money just they fly around.

how can i get my share of the national cake.

please help me very urgent.
Re: Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by Nobody: 6:34pm On May 20, 2009
Was this not the same lady chidichris told us was all about rule of law. . . just in a bid to bury Ribadu alive at all cost? undecided
Re: Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by Fhemmmy: 6:46pm On May 20, 2009
I am sure Ribadu will be laffing his head off now
Re: Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by blunt1990: 7:09pm On May 20, 2009
The documents below show scanned copies of land allocation which Waziri received and was withdrawn and tranfered to her daughter when the deal was disclosed. She received the offer from the immediate past FCT minister in his effort to win her trust, to cover up his N32billion corruption case. Till date, we have not heard anything about the case. Corruption at its peak!!
You can not expect less since she has strong link with Ibori and Aondoaka

Re: Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by Fhemmmy: 7:21pm On May 20, 2009
i am loving this.
Finally what i have always thought has come thru, EFCC is just another wasted resources.
Re: Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by Mamajama(m): 7:30pm On May 20, 2009
My goodness why are Nigerians so quick to condemned or crucify people elected without concrete evidence?

Has there been any formal inquiry or investigation into the allegations?

What happens to rule of law?

Don’t we need to hear the other side of the story before we jump into conclusion?

Please stop calling this woman a thief she has not been convicted or indicted.

What happens to the notion of innocent until proven guilty?

The same useless Nigerians media that are up to no good are trying to sell news paper with all this dubious news and captions.
Re: Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by Fhemmmy: 7:40pm On May 20, 2009
Mamajama:

My goodness why are Nigerians so quick to condemned or crucify people elected without concrete evidence?

Has there been any formal inquiry or investigation into the allegations?

What happens to rule of law?

Don’t we need to hear the other side of the story before we jump into conclusion?

Please stop calling this woman a thief she has not been convicted or indicted.

What happens to the notion of innocent until proven guilty?

The same useless Nigerians media that are up to no good are trying to sell news paper with all this dubious news and captions.

Do u by any chance go thru the document posted above?
Re: Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by Mamajama(m): 7:44pm On May 20, 2009
yes I read the document. Any document can be altered in this day in age. We have sophisticated programs that can be manipulated.

All I am saying is we should not be quick to judge and condemn people without facts and legal jurisdictions.

I don't know the woman but everyone deserves a fair trial and treatment. we can't continue to convict people in the court of public opinion and news papers.
Re: Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by jensinmi(m): 8:04pm On May 20, 2009
@ Fhemmy
Fhemmmy:

I am sure Ribadu will be laffing his head off now

He would be on the floor of his bedroom wherever he is right now Rolling with laughter.

I haven't laughed this hard in a while.

Unfortunately, this story would have been extremely funny if it wasn't so SAD.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Chai. I don die!!!!!!
Re: Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by blunt1990: 8:23pm On May 20, 2009
@mamajama
I read with utmost surprise your comment about people making comment regarding the public news which is glaring at us. What happened to freedom of speech or are you saying that nobody should critisize Obasanjo, Ibori, Odili, Ogbinedion, Chimaroke until they are convicted? That reasoning is not at par with modern democratic society. We are free to make any comment while investigation is on and will continue to voice our stand until justice is done. Obasanjo, for one day, never came out in the public to declare his interest in running for 3rd term but the obvious was that he had the intention and the voice of the masses, even when he hid his intention from the public, successfully defeated it. You should let people voice their opinion. ~Tnx
Re: Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by Fhemmmy: 8:31pm On May 20, 2009
jensinmi:

@ Fhemmy
He would be on the floor of his bedroom wherever he is right now Rolling with laughter.

I haven't laughed this hard in a while.

Unfortunately, this story would have been extremely funny if it wasn't so SAD.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Chai. I don die!!!!!!

I feel u.
Re: Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by Mamajama(m): 8:31pm On May 20, 2009
I am not against people voicing their opinion, we are all entitled to speak freely and associate freely.  My point is that Nigerian press is not credible and we should take any story published with an ounce of salt.

Let’s be reasonable and logical when crucifying people.  Even though we have produced mass corrupt leaders and officials, I strongly believed there are some innocent hard working Nigerian’s out there that will not steal from the jar of honey.

We must all agree to disagree, that is what makes us unique
Re: Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by mustafar1: 8:35pm On May 20, 2009
the document isnt signed. the validity is suspect. the third document posted is though so we know that space wasnt just put there as sleeping space.
Re: Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by naijaking1: 8:59pm On May 20, 2009
@Mamajama
I beg this no be IBB/OBJ/Yardua stuff.
This 'allegation' has been flying around for almost a year now. If Waziri had anything substantial don't you think she too would have release it a long time ago?
Yes, all are innocent until proven guilty, but by Waziri's job, she has been locking up people such as Sen. Ugbane, and Rep. Elumelu who have not even been tried, and you have the audacity to come here to complaint about quick judgement on her
Re: Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by oderemo(m): 9:08pm On May 20, 2009
some people sha , they wait for pigs to fly.
Re: Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by SubMacGun(m): 9:59pm On May 20, 2009
ode remo:

some people sha , they wait for pigs to fly.

Bros- I sent the mail

Thanks
Re: Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by MaiSuya(m): 10:59pm On May 20, 2009
First Akunyili, now this. . . sad

why are our female role models suddenly becoming such disappointments?
Re: Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by proudly9ja(m): 11:03pm On May 20, 2009
See as money dey fly around, and they say we don't have money to fund our budget

By the way, where is EFCC lawyer Mr Festus Keyamo??
Re: Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by MrCrackles(m): 11:04pm On May 20, 2009
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by Nobody: 12:18am On May 21, 2009
why does the woman like being fingered . . . . . . lol
Re: Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by kaypumpin2(m): 12:45am On May 21, 2009
naijaking1:

@Mamajama
I beg this no be IBB/OBJ/Yardua stuff.
This 'allegation' has been flying around for almost a year now. If Waziri had anything substantial don't you think she too would have release it a long time ago?
Yes, all are innocent until proven guilty, but by Waziri's job, she has been locking up people such as Sen. Ugbane, and Rep. Elumelu who have not even been tried, and you have the audacity to come here to complaint about quick judgement on her

I beg to differ.

The onus is on the accuser to prove their case beyond all reasonable doubt,and unsigned documents as those above does not wash with me.
Re: Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by bawomolo(m): 12:58am On May 21, 2009
Mai Suya:

First Akunyili, now this. . . sad

why are our female role models suddenly becoming such disappointments?

since when was she a female role model? abeg no make me laugh
Re: Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by Backslider(m): 10:15am On May 21, 2009
hmmmm

If the Elite could do what they did Ribadu a man that turned 15million Dollars then they can manipulate anyone. It loosk like we have started having good leader but very BAD UPPER AND MIDDLE CLASS.
Re: Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by DRANOEL(m): 1:00pm On May 21, 2009
whoever posted this or made such accusations is dead on arrival,and i cant believe some people bought this junk,the documents for one are not signed and trust me when i tell you that is not what abuja land allocation documents look like!
Re: Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by JJYOU: 1:14pm On May 21, 2009
DRANOEL:

whoever posted this or made such accusations is dead on arrival,and i cant believe some people bought this junk,the documents for one are not signed and trust me when i tell you that is not what abuja land allocation documents look like!
ngr
Re: Breaking News: Madam EFCC Is Also A Thief. by Mowire: 3:38pm On May 21, 2009
Is it because Nigerian are (rightly or wrongly) looking forward to the downfall of the next man that the majority of commentators to this post so far have wholly accepted the report in the post and are jumping into judgement?

We should really wait and see if there truly is a presidential enquiry as claimed in the post, at least if the story is true that should become public soon.

The documents posted cannot possibly be authentic: that 3rd document would always carry hologram/watermark images which neither photocopiers nor scanners will eliminate completely, ditto for the other two. Our government docs/lh are no longer this plain ( the 1st does not even have a logo).

Common people, gullibility/foolishness should have limits around here!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Mike Igini The Rec Of Inec In Cross-River G-A-Y? / Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) / Nigeria: Only Country Her President Travels While His People suffer - Trump

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.