Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,062 members, 7,953,212 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:31 PM

Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) (4445 Views)

Buhari Article On Obama's Cabinet(2): PMB Was Absolutely Wrong / Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right On Obama's Cabinet / Buhari's Article: His Misinformation, The Facts And His Records (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by Nobody: 11:56am On Jul 22, 2015
As expected, the chief culprit goofed again in his rebuttal thread. While he should be applauded for his effeminate attempt at objectivity, we remain resolute in getting rid of the smoke screen.

In this link https://www.nairaland.com/2469370/buhari-article-obamas-cabinet-2, he tried to analyse each position without proper recourse to objectivity and context. I will go on with showing him where he's wrong in his analysis.

Before we continue in this journey of enlightenment, here's an excerpt of an article that confirms my earlier position about Obama's first term.

All presidential administrations have vacancies. But an analysis of appointments data by ProPublica shows that President Obama hasn’t kept up with his predecessors in filling them. A greater share of presidentially appointed positions that require Senate confirmation were sitting vacant at the end of Obama’s first term than at the end of Bill Clinton’s or George W. Bush’s first terms.

At least 68 of the positions remain vacant, including 43 that have been vacant for more than a year.

Acting heads of agencies “don’t make any big decisions,” said Cal Mackenzie, a professor of government at Colby College who has studied appointments since the 1970s. “Your authority is not going to be recognized in the same way a Senate-confirmed appointee is going to be recognized.”

Overall, more than 13 percent of presidentially appointed positions hadn’t been filled at the end of Obama’s first term, compared with around 10 percent for Bush and 11 percent for Clinton. While the uptick compared with the Bush administration may sound small, it translates into dozens more vacant positions.

Source: http://www.propublica.org/article/under-obama-more-appointments-go-unfilled

**Please note the importance of senate confirmation, irrespective of the time of nomination.

Another article states:
102 Days Into Term, Obama Fills Out His Cabinet
For a president who had months to plan a smooth transition into a second term, Barack Obama has been in no great hurry to fill gaps in his Cabinet. After more than 100 days in office, he finally tidied up that task on Thursday -- and then admonished the Senate to confirm his newest nominees “without delay.”
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2013/05/03/102_days_into_term_obama_fills_out_his_cabinet_118244.html

1. Gary Locke (2009-2011) - Secretary of Commerce (Nominated Feb 23, 2009):
I always advice people to get their fact right before coming out to counter people. After Obama was elected in November 2008, first nominee for the post of Secretary of Commerce was New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson.
A: The fact remains that the Commerce secretary position was vacant till confirmation in March.
For a period of 3 months irrespective of the nomination, the position is vacant until confirmation. In Buhari's case, permanent secretaries are playing this role, the fact that the Ministers are not in place doesn't mean that the ministries would stop working.

That was the first term, now in the second Term lets look at the commerce secretary position again:

COMMERCE - VACANT

Secretary John Bryson resigned in June for health reasons. Rebecca Blank, an economist, has been acting secretary since then.
Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/02/us-usa-cabinet-factbox-idUSBRE91100720130202

2. Kathleen Sebelius (2009-2014) - Secretary of Health and Human Services:
Like I said earlier Barak Obama made all his first term Cabinet nominations about a month before his first inauguration. Tom A. Daschle was the first nominee for Secretary of Health and Human Services. He was nominated on the December 10, 2008.
A: While its unfortunate that the nominee Mr Daschle withdrew his nomination, the fact remains that the position remained vacant for a period of 5 months, which further buttresses my earlier position on the subject.

4. Penny Pritzker (2013-present) - Secretary of Commerce:
It is very unfortunate that the OP even brought people that came in after Obama's second inauguration.
Before Penny Pritzker came to office, Gary Locke (March 2009-Aug 2011), John Bryson (Oct 2011- June 2012) were former occupants of the office. After Bryson sudden resignation in June 2012 Obama appointed Dr Blank to act the interim because it was an election year.
Penny was nominated on 01 Feb, 2013.
A: It is very relevant to the subject because, despite having enough time to nominate his cabinet a second time, Obama being a responsible leader recognises the importance of meticulous planning before making appointments. Therefore, second term nominees remain valid to this debate.

5. Thomas Perez (2013−present) - Secretary of Labor:
Before Thomas Perez came to office, there was Mrs Hilda Solis who occupied the office. Solis was nominated in December 19, 2008 when Obama was President-elect. She was confirmed and Sworn-in on Jan 29, 2009 (9 days after Obama's first inauguration). Solis however made known her resignation on January 9, 2013 and left on Jan 22.
Perez was nominated as a replacement.
A: Okay, you haven't shown us how the position of the secretary of Labour was filled immediately after Obama's inauguration. Thanks for confirming my position with links to buttress my points.

6. Anthony Foxx (2013-present) - Secretary of Transportation:
Finally, the first nominee/occupant of this office was Republican Ray LaHood. He was nominated on December 19, 2008 when Obama was President-elect. He was confirmed on Jan 22, 2009 (2 day after Obama's first inauguration) and was sworn-in Jan 23, 2009 (48hrs after Obama's inauguration)
On Jan 29, 2013 he announced that he will step down from the seat when a new nominee is confirmed. Obama nominated Anthony Foxx as replacement. Foxx was confirmed and Sworn-in July 02, 2013 (same day Ray Lahood left office).
A: Okay champ, if you want to make a statement of fact, you need to be fair by telling us the whole context of Ray's stepping down. Since you ommitted it, I will Oblige you by stating the true picture of the turn of events.

Modified:
Anyone conversant with the background politics at play during the first term, would remember the multiple scandals that rocked the tenure of Lahood as the transportation Sec. One of which was his reference on Toyotas not being safe for american drivers, while in the same vein, ignored the issues with GM cars. At the end of which Toyota was forced to pay $1.2 Billion dollars to make it go away, not because they were found guilty, in-fact in 2012, Department of Transportation engineers determined that no mechanical failure was present in the Toyota vehicles.

Source: http://thefederalist.com/2014/04/02/the-gm-scandal-is-worse-than-you-think/

Apart from this, he directed at least $9 million in federal funds to his own campaign contributors in 2010, including an award of almost $7.8 million to a single company that had donated more than $190,000 to his campaign. Furthermore, LaHood has been criticised for his close relationship to William F. Cellini, Jr., who is under indictment in the federal pay-to-play investigation that toppled Gov. Blagojevich.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/13/ray-lahood-transportation-obama_n_1009748.html

The article shows that Ray had to step down because of the controversy surrounding him.

Thanks for reading.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by Nobody: 11:56am On Jul 22, 2015
We mistake politics for legislative debate. You can be passionate without being personal.
- RICHARD DREYFUSS

8 Likes

Re: Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by ELTON123(m): 11:57am On Jul 22, 2015
hope you did not expect me to read that undecided

2 Likes

Re: Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by Unsad(m): 11:57am On Jul 22, 2015
Enough!
Re: Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by Rilwayne001: 12:00pm On Jul 22, 2015
cool
Re: Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by Rilwayne001: 12:01pm On Jul 22, 2015
Cc: Barcanista a.k.a Chief Wailing-wailer.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by donholy28(m): 12:03pm On Jul 22, 2015
Op...I no just blame u...see long encyclopaedia way u post their...even if u right ur story dey too long to read

2 Likes

Re: Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by Mynd44: 12:06pm On Jul 22, 2015
Can't you people open one thread and have your darned back and forth instead of this dìck waving contest?

2 Likes

Re: Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jul 22, 2015
**Please note the importance of senate confirmation, irrespective of the time of nomination.**
This has made nonsense of the OP's claim. First, I am glad that he recognised that Obama made ALL Cabinet nominations within a month of winning the election and about less than a month of his first inauguration.

As a serious leader he made nominations but he can't determine confirmation time. The Senate does. In the case of Buhari, he has not even made nominations talkless of Senate's Confirmation.

A: The fact remains that the Commerce secretary position was vacant till confirmation in March.
For a period of 3 months irrespective of the nomination, the position is vacant until confirmation. In Buhari's case, permanent secretaries are playing this role, the fact that the Ministers are not in place doesn't mean that the ministries would stop working.

The position of Commerce-Secretary was Vacant PENDING Senate's confirmation of the nominee that Obama sent. Obama first nominated Bill Richardson on Dec 3, 2008, He withdrew by January 4. He later nominated Judd Greg on Feb 4, 2009, Gregg also withdrew on Feb 11, 2009. Again he nominated Gary Locke on Feb 23, 2009 (12 days after Gregg stepped down). The Senate will only confirm Gregg in April 2009.

Obama did his own part, he can't do that of the Senate.

A: While its unfortunate that the nominee Mr Daschle withdrew his nomination, the fact remains that the position remained vacant for a period of 5 months, which further buttresses my earlier position on the subject.

Again, Obama nominated Tom Daschle on 10 December 2008 (40 days before inauguration). Unfortunately, he withdrew while screening was going on in february 02, 2009. Obama had to nominate Kateleeen Sebelius on Feb 23, 2009 (21 Days gap) to takeover. But the Senate in their own wisdom took time before confirmation.

How does this relate to Buhari? It is unfortunate that the OP forgets that the Senate confirm but the President did his own part timely.

A. It is very relevant to the subject because, despite having enough time to nominate his cabinet a second time, Obama being a responsible leader recognises the importance of meticulous planning before making appointments

Before looking at this, let us see Buhari's comment.

"When cabinet ministers are appointed in September, it will be some months after I took the oath of office. It is worth noting that Obama himself did not have his full Cabinet in place for several months after first taking office; the United States did not cease to function in the interim." --- (Pres. Muhammadu Buhari)"

First, he talked about the Obama's first term in office. All other positions were nominated and occupied in January/early February depending on when each were confirmed by the Senate -save TWO! Commerce and Health (which I discussed earlier).

This one quoted was a successor to some people that had held the office since 2009 (which I've treated in earlier thread).

So what is the argument?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jul 22, 2015
barcanista:
So what is the argument?

According to the legal dictionary, Cabinet (political) is defined:

Cabinet
The counsel or group of advisers of a king or other chief executive of a government. A group of individuals who advise the president of the United States.

The president's cabinet was created by custom and tradition and was instituted by the first president. The heads of each of the executive departments of the government, including the Secretary of State, the secretary of the treasury, the secretary of defense, the attorney general, the secretary of the interior, the secretary of agriculture, the secretary of commerce, the secretary of labor, the secretary of health and human services, the secretary of education, the secretary of housing and urban development, and the secretary of transportation, comprise the cabinet.

Source: http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Cabinet+(politics)

102 Days Into Term, Obama Fills Out His Cabinet
For a president who had months to plan a smooth transition into a second term, Barack Obama has been in no great hurry to fill gaps in his Cabinet. After more than 100 days in office, he finally tidied up that task on Thursday -- and then admonished the Senate to confirm his newest nominees “without delay.”
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2013/05/03/102_days_into_term_obama_fills_out_his_cabinet_118244.html

Which translates, for 100 days, there were no nominees. How was Buhari wrong in his article?

6 Likes

Re: Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by aminho(m): 12:21pm On Jul 22, 2015
https://www.nairaland.com/2469231/buhari-win-10000-naira HELP PRESIDENT BUHARI AND WIN 10000NAIRA
Re: Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by aminho(m): 12:22pm On Jul 22, 2015
barcanista:
Typing

https://www.nairaland.com/2469231/buhari-win-10000-naira HELP PRESIDENT BUHARI AND WIN 10000NAIRA
Re: Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by BannedOtherView: 12:22pm On Jul 22, 2015
@OP, you are telling me?
How do you expect Barcanista to get it right, when the only authoritative source he knows is Wikipedia? grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by giantstrides(m): 12:22pm On Jul 22, 2015
When Lai Mohammed suggested a crash course on opposition for the PDP's chief spokesman, you PDP lot started wailing. However, so far it has been disappointing to see the poo the PDP has been dishing out, it's almost like they pray for some sort of failure to wail about daily.
It is getting boring seeing articles spinned with lies and inaccuracies every week, the PDP should rather rise above this petty politics they are playing because everyone is seeing through it, else they risk being in opposition for another 60 years.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by steppin: 12:26pm On Jul 22, 2015
Rilwayne001:
Cc: Barcanista a.k.a Chief Wailing-wailer.
You booked two spaces and all you posted was this?
May God have mercy on you!

3 Likes

Re: Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by tucky200(m): 12:27pm On Jul 22, 2015
Barcanista be fooling his fellow gullible TANoids

3 Likes

Re: Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by Rilwayne001: 12:27pm On Jul 22, 2015
steppin:
You booked two spaces and all you posted was this? May God have mercy on you!
grin
Re: Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by joseph1832(m): 12:28pm On Jul 22, 2015
barcanista:
Typing
Funny you can type, but when I ask you questions, you flee. I bet its only things you have answers to you reply to.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by Rilwayne001: 12:28pm On Jul 22, 2015
barcanista:
Typing
Re: Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by jamesbawa(m): 12:29pm On Jul 22, 2015
here we go again... smh
Re: Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by jamesbawa(m): 12:30pm On Jul 22, 2015
here we go again... smh

waiting for part 3
Re: Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by DaBullIT(m): 12:31pm On Jul 22, 2015
Barcanista is just a glorified looser

These days he just makes up lies and lies in order to continue receiving protection and payment from PDP

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by joseph1832(m): 12:33pm On Jul 22, 2015
Musiwax, please I urge you to refrain from tagging monikers whenever you post a thread, this feat is only done by the political prostitutes to summon his dogs!.

So instead of tagging your fellow supporters, tag the political prostitutes dog, let's see if they're answer your summons because they've thus far show they are dogs! Given the way they rush to answer the prostitutes summon.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by phyllosilicate(m): 12:33pm On Jul 22, 2015
Wow I'm enjoying this
Re: Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by Beremx(f): 12:34pm On Jul 22, 2015
Can we please move forward?

Musiwax, you and I know that the Wailing-in-chief protection seeker is interested in the ministerial list of Buhari because he is waiting to open hundreds of threads to criticize the nominees. ( of course that's what he's paid to do).

Abeg stop giving him unnecessary attention! PMB's list of ministers comes up in May. Anyone who doesn't have patience to wait till then can go to hell!!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by modhream: 12:34pm On Jul 22, 2015
This is total hogwash and you know it,OP.The President's article that started all this and that which you earlier wrote on,was about CABINET positions,not executive appointments which we all know will take time to fill.All those ambassadorial and board appointments................
You're trying to be smart by half,conflating different issues and making a mush of it.
Try again

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jul 22, 2015
joseph1832:
Musiwax, please I urge you to refrain from tagging monikers whenever you post a thread, this feat is only done by the political prostitutes to summon his dogs!.

So instead of tagging your fellow supporters, tag the political prostitutes dog, let's see if they're answer your summons because they've thus far show they are dogs! Given the way they rush to answer the prostitutes summon.

Thanks for this, will note that for next time.

Cheers bruv

3 Likes

Re: Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by jaybee3(m): 12:47pm On Jul 22, 2015
BannedOtherView:
@OP, you are telling me?
How do you expect Barcanista to get it right, when the only authoritative source he knows is Wikipedia? grin

jaybee3:
Here you go => https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/nominations-and-appointments

I posted a link to the same database that could have been exported as a CSV file to educate himself. He is always very quick to act all intelligent even though it usually turns out to be empty noise at the end of the day

The phool is just an irredeemable doofus

3 Likes

Re: Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jul 22, 2015
I posted this earlier, for the sake of those that missed it, I am reposting it again.

**Please note the importance of senate confirmation, irrespective of the time of nomination.**
This has made nonsense of the OP's claim. First, I am glad that he recognised that Obama made ALL Cabinet nominations within a month of winning the election and about less than a month of his first inauguration.

As a serious leader he made nominations but he can't determine confirmation time. The Senate does. In the case of Buhari, he has not even made nominations talkless of Senate's Confirmation.

The position of Commerce-Secretary was Vacant PENDING Senate's confirmation of the nominee that Obama sent. Obama first nominated Bill Richardson on Dec 3, 2008, He withdrew by January 4. He later nominated Judd Greg on Feb 4, 2009, Gregg also withdrew on Feb 11, 2009. Again he nominated Gary Locke on Feb 23, 2009 (12 days after Gregg stepped down). The Senate will only confirm Gregg in April 2009. Again, this position was Vacant Pending Confirmation of Senate

Obama did his own part, he can't do that of the Senate. Save the above two positions, no other positions experienced such vacancy (which are no faults of Obama anyway).

Again, Obama nominated Tom Daschle on 10 December 2008 (40 days before inauguration). Unfortunately, he withdrew while screening was going on in february 02, 2009. Obama had to nominate Kateleeen Sebelius on Feb 23, 2009 (21 Days gap) to takeover. But the Senate in their own wisdom took time before confirmation.

How does this relate to Buhari? It is unfortunate that the OP forgets that the Senate confirm but the President did his own part timely.

A. It is very relevant to the subject because, despite having enough time to nominate his cabinet a second time, Obama being a responsible leader recognises the importance of meticulous planning before making appointments

Before looking at this, let us see Buhari's comment.

"When cabinet ministers are appointed in September, it will be some months after I took the oath of office. It is worth noting that Obama himself did not have his full Cabinet in place for several months after first taking office; the United States did not cease to function in the interim." --- (Pres. Muhammadu Buhari)"

First, he talked about the Obama's first term in office. All other positions were nominated and occupied in January/early February depending on when each were confirmed by the Senate -save TWO! Commerce and Health (which I discussed earlier).

This one quoted was a successor to some people that had held the office since 2009 (which I've treated in earlier thread).

So what is the argument?

5 Likes

Re: Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by Nobody: 12:53pm On Jul 22, 2015
barcanista:
I posted this earlier, for the sake of those that missed it, I am reposting it again.

You are missing the point. Buhari said he needs not rush to name people into positions and he justified it by stating that a similar scenario played out with the Obama administration.

The position of Commerce-Secretary was Vacant PENDING Senate's confirmation of the nominee that Obama sent. Obama first nominated Bill Richardson on Dec 3, 2008, He withdrew by January 4. He later nominated Judd Greg on Feb 4, 2009, Gregg also withdrew on Feb 11, 2009. Again he nominated Gary Locke on Feb 23, 2009 (12 days after Gregg stepped down). The Senate will only confirm Gregg in April 2009.

Obama did his own part, he can't do that of the Senate.

Obama did his own part by nominating people into positions, is it a full cabinet after nomination? No sir. Q.E.D

Already dealt with this earlier. The context is Obama took several months in having a full cabinet. Irrespective of how you see it, Buhari was right with this statement, is it applicable to the Nigerian situation a resounding yes if taken at face value.

Buhari never placed a time on the word several months, which in this case could mean two months after inauguration, or 6 months which infact was the case with some positions. Check: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/nominations-and-appointments

So what is the argument?
The argument is not about Obama's nominations, its about having the full cabinet in place.

It is worth noting that Buhari complained about the rot in the system he's inherited from the previous administration, and the need to put in place structures. We are in this quagmire as a result of the mis-governance and irresponsibilities of the PDP led administrations, without which we shouldn't be int his position in the first place. The US have developed institutions that are classic models for governance and despite this, Obama still had to take his time before filling vacant positions in his Second term.

Just to clarify, Obama, despite having a structure in place with regards to institutions that does things according to the rule of law, still had 13% of positions vacant at the end of his first term. In the case of Buhari, the president said he cannot continue with the structure of the previous administration, he stated he needs to run background checks, properly vet the nominees before making appointments and in the interim, the permanent secretaries are running the ministries. Some critical positions like the office of the NSA are already filled without delay, how then is it a problem if the President decides to take his time in making nominations.

8 Likes

Re: Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jul 22, 2015
modhream:
This is total hogwash and you know it,OP.The President's article that started all this and that which you earlier wrote on,was about CABINET positions,not executive appointments which we all know will take time to fill.All those ambassadorial and board appointments................
You're trying to be smart by half,conflating different issues and making a mush of it.
Try again
Perhaps, he doesn't know the meaning of CABINET position. Hope you saw my response?

4 Likes

Re: Buhari's Article: Buhari Was Right (2) by ERODEDEAST(f): 12:59pm On Jul 22, 2015
Obama made his nomination a month before Inauguration but Boo.hari nko? infact Op you goofed again jare just writing poo

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Katsina Election: Tribunal Dismisses Petition Against Governor Masari / Queen Elizabeth, Obi Of Onitsha And Zik In 1956 Met In Onitsha: Pictures / PEJ Open Up On How She Hate The Northern Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.