Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,910 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:01 PM

How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria (26423 Views)

God Gave Me A New Job In This Recession Period After Losing My Banking Job / I Just Got A Banking Job But Age Falsification Is Standing In My Way / My Disastrous Banking Job Interview On The 5th Of October 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria by maximunimpact(m): 11:21am On Nov 19, 2015
Banking job in Nigeria is a job for those who aspire to be the best in all they do, the environment in this industry is highly competitive. A moment of weakness on your part could place you on the sidelines. Being good on the job is not rocket science, it is something that happens with your commitment, passion and loyalty to the system.

But to be in contention for beating the competition, you have to get the job first; and that is the purpose of this article. From my personal experience, it cannot be said that getting employed by a bank is difficult or easy. The reason is because there are a lot of variables which compels banks to recruit.

Depending on the variable, which is never constant from year to year, it directly determines the processes involved and the duration of the selection exercise.

There are two major forms of recruitment obtainable in the industry, they are:

1. Executive Trainee
2. Experienced hire

Executive trainees are the sets of candidates comprising of fresh graduates between the ages of 24-26. A banking career in Nigeria usually starts from this level.

QUALIFICATIONS FOR EXECUTIVE TRAINEE HIRE

To be in position to apply for a bank job as an ET, you will have to possess the following requirements:

1. Should be between the ages of 24-26
2. Should possess a degree (BSc or HND) not less than second class upper
3. Gone through NYSC
4. Possess good communication skills
5. Smart and young

Now these are the basic qualifications for ET, if you possess the above requirements congratulations you have passed the first step. The second step is the unwritten requirements and this is where you have to do your homework. You have to prepare a great CV and a cover letter that will sell you better. Consider yourself as someone convincing and telling the bank what you are and what you can offer, the interview time does not last more than 10mins, but your resume and credentials stays in their possession after you are long gone, so how you arrange your CV and credentials represents you.

Remember to use professional email address for your CV, what I mean is using your full name in your email, not some odd and informal expressions like sweetchick@yahoo.com or john1986@gmail.com. Ensure that your date of birth does not conflict, cross check what you have on your WAEC certificate with your birth certificate.

HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION

There are different avenues one can submit applications, in this digital era all banks have a human resources page on their websites that accepts job applications. There are times were it has to be hard copy in designated branches. Again it depends on the need and the sense of urgency. The key here is to get the right information at the appropriate time.

THE BANK WILL CONTACT YOU

After submitting your application, it may take some time to be contacted by the bank for either aptitude test or interview. Either step that comes first depends on the urgency of the process. There are situations where aptitude test will be bypassed and it may just be series of interviews. Make sure your phones and emails are reachable at this stage.

THE TRAINING SCHOOL

After going through aptitude test and interviews, successful candidates are enlisted for the banks’ training school, every bank has a name for their training school, and it usually takes between 3 to 6 months depending on the bank.

During this period, the bank will train you on all their processes and duly equip you with requisite knowledge on how to beat the competition in the industry.

There are also series of examinations and written test in the school, failing any test or exam at any stage of the training may mark your exit from the process, which is why you have to be at your very best.

Successful completion of the program translates into a brand new career for you, that makes you an executive trainee (ET) of the bank and this is the starting level.

EXPERIENCED HIRE

The experienced hire in the banking industry is when a banker is switching to another bank. The process is not the same with the executive trainee, this is because they are already in the system with some years of experience.

The qualifications are:

1. Bachelors degree or HND (second class upper)
2. Additional qualification is an added advantage
3. Must have some years of banking experience
4. Must be cleared from the previous bank (integrity wise)

There may be other requirements depending on the bank, but these are the basic requirements for experienced hire. Successful candidates are usually placed one step above their current level but never below.

These are just my personal experience in the industry, and I hope it helps one step further in actualizing your dreams of becoming a banker. Congratulations in advance.

http://www.financialwatchngr.com/2015/11/18/how-to-get-a-banking-job-in-nigeria/

19 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria by INTROVERT(f): 11:21am On Nov 19, 2015
okay

3 Likes

Re: How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria by abimbawealth(f): 11:38am On Nov 19, 2015
Eshey

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria by XtraSmooth404: 11:39am On Nov 19, 2015
Nice ...
Wouldn't you rather bank with us? smiley

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:06pm On Nov 19, 2015
XtraSmooth404:
Nice ...
Wouldn't you rather bank with us? smiley

Scad Scad. You don dey work for bank?

3 Likes

Re: How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria by ambassadorgozie(m): 12:14pm On Nov 19, 2015
Tanx

Came at d right tym
Re: How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria by GentleYoung(m): 12:48pm On Nov 19, 2015
Good
Re: How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria by PLANETMARS(m): 12:48pm On Nov 19, 2015
And after all the stress u get employed....two days later u get sacked! #end time job indeed

2 Likes

Re: How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria by Dahveydson(m): 12:48pm On Nov 19, 2015
Nice one Op.

I know some will still come on this thread and criticise bank jobs.
Re: How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria by GentleYoung(m): 12:49pm On Nov 19, 2015
INTROVERT:
okay
Ure back again

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria by churchill213: 12:49pm On Nov 19, 2015
noted
Re: How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria by ksstroud: 12:50pm On Nov 19, 2015
You mean Bank
Re: How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria by Drsheddy(m): 12:50pm On Nov 19, 2015
H
Re: How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria by frankwells(f): 12:50pm On Nov 19, 2015
#WHAYASAY PLEASE WAIT WHILE YOUR ENDTIME IS BEEN PROCESSING

Re: How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:52pm On Nov 19, 2015
Ok Next News please.......even if nigeria police can change there cloth or run away, whenever Armed Robbers is around. I just wonder what will a staff do. End time work.
Re: How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria by damton(m): 12:52pm On Nov 19, 2015
As much as i think this is well articulated write up, I don't think it's has easy as the OP highlights.

Needless to say, influence sometimes play crucial role in some banks in Nigeria.

my opinion though

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:52pm On Nov 19, 2015
Re: How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria by confamgist237: 12:52pm On Nov 19, 2015
GOD FORBID BAD JOB..

banking job shey that one na job abi ki olorun shanu eniyan

awon ole jati jati

grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria by timmycris(m): 12:52pm On Nov 19, 2015
Ok. End time bank
Re: How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria by adjoviomole(m): 12:53pm On Nov 19, 2015
Bankers are liable to die young.

3 Likes

Re: How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria by homirefacuny(m): 12:54pm On Nov 19, 2015
What is the salary structure for graduate trainee??
Re: How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria by lmm4real: 12:54pm On Nov 19, 2015
Ur first sentence is total poo. undecided

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria by misterchris(m): 12:54pm On Nov 19, 2015
ok
Re: How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria by adepiero: 12:56pm On Nov 19, 2015
s
Re: How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria by ayindepremier: 12:56pm On Nov 19, 2015
Banks are nothing but waste of time and they can easily kill your career faster than poison!

beware, chase dreams, not banks.

they are dead broken now!

4 Likes

Re: How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria by suyamasta(m): 12:57pm On Nov 19, 2015
wwith this embarassedwwith this
Re: How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria by oluseyiforjesus(m): 12:57pm On Nov 19, 2015
#Beyourownboss#

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria by JosephPhilip: 12:57pm On Nov 19, 2015
Thanks for the article. It's highly informative.

Business Sense For Bulk SMS Business?
Check my signature.
Re: How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria by menix(m): 12:57pm On Nov 19, 2015
All this End time bank work that they keep threatening you with sack..

Today's Bank work is a Major source of High BP in Nigeria..

As for me, I want to own a Bank..

3 Likes

Re: How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria by suyamasta(m): 12:58pm On Nov 19, 2015
What irritates me most about bank jobs now is 25years and below sheeet and with the constant case of bank robberies its quite dangerous

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Banking Job In Nigeria by OCTAVO: 12:59pm On Nov 19, 2015
Ok.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Replacement In The Civil Service / Osinbajo Extends 2017 N-Power Application | N-Power Device Delivery To Commence / 22-yr-old First Class Nigerian Graduate Takes To Twitter To Beg For Employment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.