Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,278 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:29 AM

Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo (24696 Views)

Profiles Of Sandie Okoro & Arunma Oteh, Nigerians In World Bank Management Team / Nigerians Rate Buhari Poor In Economic Management – Vanguard Poll / President Goodluck Jonathan Regime Signed TSA Agreement With 1% Fee - Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo by chipzidar(f): 9:06pm On Nov 19, 2015
Nonsense, buhari's 6months rule is far worst
angry

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo by Chanchit: 9:06pm On Nov 19, 2015
ifedayoifedapo:
But how come electricity was stable during GEJ's regime but now a nightmare?

Which part of Nigeria do you live, my Lord?
Re: Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo by neolboy(m): 9:07pm On Nov 19, 2015
Why are u people still in hangover over this man, have I forgotten that PMB is now the president

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo by Lighthouseman: 9:09pm On Nov 19, 2015
U lost out before now u are loosing hence resort to noise making for relevance

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo by Intendy: 9:09pm On Nov 19, 2015
I know this tey tey
Re: Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo by cold(m): 9:11pm On Nov 19, 2015
Tired noise..soured grapes

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo by Nobody: 9:11pm On Nov 19, 2015
he took this long to criticize Jonathan? he should have said all this during election period.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo by yyeanqah(m): 9:12pm On Nov 19, 2015
Hmmm !.....mayb na true Oooo
Re: Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo by kevinscore2: 9:12pm On Nov 19, 2015
koboko69:
Chukwuma Soludo, former governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), says the presidential regime of Goodluck Jonathan had “the worst economic management team” relative to available resources. The former Anambra state governorship aspirant also lamented that the Jonathan administration left the country with an “unprecedented rate of debt accumulation”.

However, he commended the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for still managing to record “tremendous progress” in its 16 years of ruling the country. Soludo was speaking in Lagos on Thursday at the third anniversary lecture of the RealNews magazine titled ‘Can a New Buharinomics Save Nigeria?’

“First, I supported President Muhammadu Buhari (PMB) over Jonathan not because I was convinced about the credibility of the APC manifesto (and I said so in my article in January this year) but for three reasons. I was convinced that the last economic team was bankrupting the economy and had no clue as to how to fix it,” he said.

“Second, PMB is the first president of Nigeria under a democracy to have seriously desired the job and struggled for it for over 12 years. To me therefore, he must have a few points to prove, and I was willing to bet on a man who purposefully wanted the job than otherwise. “Third, I was convinced that it would be in the enlightened self-interest of the APC, once in power, to do their utmost to keep power by delivering on the economy unlike the PDP which had taken power for granted. I am still confident that PMB can deliver change (although as I had indicated in my article in January, I didn’t believe that any of the two parties could deliver on their manifesto) but he and his team now need to run at the speed of a 1000 km per hour.

“We must support them to succeed by contributing when we can, and criticising when we must — tough love! I am enjoying my status as ‘an independent’ (I don’t belong to APC or PDP) and I therefore have the liberty to say it as I see it from the balcony! “As at 1999 when PDP came to power, Nigeria was largely a pariah state still lucky to have survived as one indivisible sovereign, especially in the context of the struggle by NADECO and restiveness in many parts of the country. On corruption, Transparency International scored it 1.6 out of 10 and ranked 98 out of 99 countries in 1999.

Nigeria was listed among four countries that were non-compliant on the anti-money laundering rules by the Financial Action Task Force (FATF). “We could not service our external debt and relied on stressful rescheduling, with all the intrusive donor conditionalities. Poverty was estimated at 70%, and unemployment at nearly 20%. The 1990s will go down in our economic history as the decade of stagnation: when per capita income growth was zero. Average oil price in May 1999 when President Obasanjo took over was $15.24 while stock of reserves was about $5 billion.” Reflecting on PDP’s and Jonathan’s reign,

Soludo said: “After 16 years, several challenges remain and some have even worsened (especially insecurity). Although President Jonathan’s regime had the worst economic management relative to the resources at its disposal, it must be stressed that tremendous progress was made in the aggregate 16 years of PDP government. “

Yes, it should have left more than $100 billion in reserves but left only $30 billion (still about six times of what it met). We also wish that Jonathan’s team did not leave Nigeria with unprecedented rate of debt accumulation. But, according to statistics from NBS, the PDP handed over a $550 billion economy (largest in Africa and 26th in the world), with 7.5% unemployment rate (better than European Union, France, Sweden, Belgium, etc although the underemployment figure is much higher); 32%?? poverty rate (as claimed by the former Finance Minister, or 61%??: NBS needs to clarify this claim); a stock of reserves of $30 billion; GDP growth rate averaging 6% over last 12 years; a relatively more diversified economy, with ICT penetration from 0.2% to over 60%, and a new contributory pension scheme now with trillions of Naira in pension fund. “Our external debt is down although total debt stock is escalating.

Our Gini coefficient (degree of inequality) is not different from China’s. Nigeria has consolidated and stronger banking system that currently finances both government debt and the private sector, with a relatively vibrant capital market. The capitalization of the Nigerian Stock Exchange grew from less than N1 trillion to N12 trillion as at handover. For the first time, Nigerian economy is now rated by credit rating agencies (Fitch, and Standard and Poor’s).”

Read more at: https://www.thecable.ng/jonathans-regime-worst-economic-management-team-says-soludo

Jonathan's economy was only good in paper
Re: Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo by Olusholadiamond(m): 9:15pm On Nov 19, 2015
oga SOLUDO u sure say u no steal ya own during ur tenure...?
Re: Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo by ifedayoifedapo(f): 9:15pm On Nov 19, 2015
But how come electricity was stable during GEJ's regime but now a nightmare?
Re: Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo by Nobody: 9:15pm On Nov 19, 2015
True ,but 105 soldiers didn't just miss at any time

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo by onyepapa(m): 9:16pm On Nov 19, 2015
naijapips02:
I never for once bought fuel for 400 naira in aba.... all tru d 6 years
Re: Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo by viktor01(m): 9:16pm On Nov 19, 2015
What is he saying? Cause you believe in something doesn't make it real. End time politicians.
Re: Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo by omogin(f): 9:17pm On Nov 19, 2015
Just shut up. No vacancy for you as you can see. Huh...
Re: Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo by iykebobywhite(m): 9:19pm On Nov 19, 2015
Will dis statement gv u a portfolio in dis current administration. Oga solo i fink Nigerians dnt need ur advice.
Re: Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo by front247: 9:19pm On Nov 19, 2015
Shut d Bleep up
Re: Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo by Aufbauh(m): 9:20pm On Nov 19, 2015
Hiploko:
na wa o.... And d team leader(okonjo iweala) was recently given a global appointment. How come they didn't know she piloted the worst economic team that had Sanusi?smh

Oops! It is not unexpected that Iweala was given an intl appointment but Nigerian environment is peculiar.
It is very possible to perform in an environment and be helplessly clueless in another environment. The Nigerian environment requires dogged personnel with Street knowledge and practical skills, not a theoretical experts.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo by totorimi: 9:20pm On Nov 19, 2015
The same man Okonjo Iweala said was the worst CBN gov is coming out now to say this.
Re: Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo by IYANGBALI: 9:21pm On Nov 19, 2015
Shoekuma soludo the only truthful igbo man ever liveth
Re: Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo by eginacyril(m): 9:24pm On Nov 19, 2015
who
Re: Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo by Nobody: 9:25pm On Nov 19, 2015
People rush to comment based on headlines.

After reading the whole article, one will understand that Soludo actually praised Jonathan.

Gej wasn't the messiah but he has been the best so far.
Re: Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo by dongila001: 9:25pm On Nov 19, 2015
Story for d gods. nigeria economy was doing well during gej tenure
Re: Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo by pedrilo: 9:26pm On Nov 19, 2015
Flets:
These political jobbers claiming technocrats are so predictable.

They believe that Once they scream an anti-GEJ jargon. .... they get Buhari's attention.

NOI and other GEJ technocrats have been landing globally renowned portfolios while soludo have been ranting from the sidelines for an FG job.
dnt mind d mugu
Re: Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo by Angoni(m): 9:26pm On Nov 19, 2015
Idiot, why not put the cost figures in 2015 values so its easy to compare or did you do that on purpose to fool APC fools? That some macro economic indicators (Gin coefficient, GDP growth rate, unemployment)are comparable or better than those of China/ EU is a plus to GEJ not a minus. Yet APC fools can not see that, the can not even see the insecurity, rising unemployment, fuel scarcity and stagnant economy with 6 months of Buhari economics. What a sad lot.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo by funkyibodude(m): 9:27pm On Nov 19, 2015
I'm drunk in laughter grin grin grin grin, this unfortunate deluded economist turned politician is really a big clown! Hear him " GEJ had the worst economic team, but also commend the PDP for making the economy stable for 16years". Speaking from both sides of the mouth. Whom did PDP end with after 16years of rule, is it not Jonathan!?
Oops I forgot, he and obyezekwesili both have the same Godfather, obasanjo, unfortunately the lost outta of ministerial appointments grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo by Nobody: 9:27pm On Nov 19, 2015
So sorry Mr. Soludo is Buhari's regime that has the worst Economic team.
A team that's two sided is what this government has shown.
Despite Buhari shouting we are winning the war against BH yet more than 100 soldiers declared missing.
Re: Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo by focus7: 9:27pm On Nov 19, 2015
Soludo, Rev. Mbaka and Ihejirika are Igbos that will not join the senseless bigotry that many indulge to tell the truth.
Re: Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo by Kangol99(m): 9:29pm On Nov 19, 2015
The quality of a leader affectd the quality of a nation. Our leaders are affecting us. #WeWant Good and Great, Godfearing leaders in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo by aalangel(f): 9:29pm On Nov 19, 2015
Soludo, you are my brother, but just SHUT UP!!!
Re: Jonathan’s Regime Had The Worst Economic Management Team, Says Soludo by BabaIjebuXL(m): 9:29pm On Nov 19, 2015
Seems some guys on here cant read, too lazy to read or are mentally weak.Do you guys read the articles before opening that pit you call mouth?... there is more to life than Belgium used,pushing drugs, baby factor and importing counterfeits.......seek wisdom! Receive brain. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ozekhome Leads Legal Team As Nnamdi Kanu Arrives In Court / 2023: Ifeanyi Araraume Join Labour Party / NNPP Campaigns In Nassarawa Local Government, Kano (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.