Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,021 members, 7,821,559 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:02 PM

Why Obasanjo’s Third Term Bid Failed, By Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Obasanjo’s Third Term Bid Failed, By Jonathan (1444 Views)

Artillery Weapons Bought By Jonathan, Used By Late Col. Abu-led Troops (Video) / 24 Sins Committed By Jonathan, Wike And PDP - APC / AirForce Reconfigures Aircrafts Bought By Jonathan's Administration. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Obasanjo’s Third Term Bid Failed, By Jonathan by Nobody: 7:26am On Nov 20, 2015
Nigeria’s immediate past President Goodluck Jonathan in Washington DC faulted former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s claim that he did not actually push a third term bid.
Instead, Jonathan said the former president agitated for a third term in office but failed to actualise it. Jonathan was a guest of the U.S National Democratic Institute (NDI) in the United States on Wednesday.

According to him, the strong resistance of the National Assembly at the time (between 2006 and 2007), made the bid to fail.

“Of course, I was a governor at that time, but due to strong resistance from the National Assembly, the third term bid failed.”

According to Jonathan, Africa needs strong parliaments to checkmate sit-tight presidents who influence parliaments to consider amendment to the constitution that would extend their stay in office.

“Changing constitutions to eliminate term limits in order to favour incumbents is inconsistent with democratic principles and reduces confidence in democratic institutions.”

He warned: Repressive actions by some of these leaders is setting “a disturbing precedent for the region and continent.”

Jonathan said it is not a sustainable path and the reason he is setting up a Goodluck Jonathan Foundation to address these issues and mediate in the continent.

The former President, who recently led an international observer delegation of the Commonwealth to the Tanzanian national elections, shared his views on the elections and their significance in the consolidation of democratic progress in Tanzania.

He said that the election in Tanzania was an improvement from previous elections held in the country and revealed that the only weakness is that once the electoral umpire has declared a winner, the loser cannot contest the results in a law court or election petitions tribunal.
Jonathan also used the opportunity to educate the audience on the problems in Zanzibar and how he is mediating in the dispute.

He said: “Corruption is now used for political campaign; during the first visit of President Buhari to the United States he said that about $150billion was lost to corruption, though he didn’t mention me, he said by previous administration.”

“The figures are staggering and untrue, another governor said someone stole a million barrels of oil per day.”

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2015/11/why-obasanjos-third-term-bid-failed-by-jonathan/
Re: Why Obasanjo’s Third Term Bid Failed, By Jonathan by luvinhubby(m): 7:29am On Nov 20, 2015
Obasanjo is CRIME himself and anybody associated with him is a criminal.
Thank God for the Ken Nnamani led senate that saved this nation from the catastrophy of Obasanjo's third term bid.
And the same old crime personified is still the political brain behind APC.

Tufiakwa !!

4 Likes

Re: Why Obasanjo’s Third Term Bid Failed, By Jonathan by ozoigbondu: 7:30am On Nov 20, 2015
GEJ my hero

1 Like

Re: Why Obasanjo’s Third Term Bid Failed, By Jonathan by PassingShot(m): 7:30am On Nov 20, 2015
It's only those economical with the truth that will deny OBJ wanted a third term. We must also be reminded that OBJ would have gotten the constitution amended if not for the then Senate president's (Ken Nnamani) acceptance to have the final debate and subsequent voting to be aired live. That way, Nigerians were watching the senators who would vote in support of the needed amendment. So, Nnamani should get credit here too.

The figures are staggering and untrue, another governor said someone stole a million barrels of oil per day
Oga Jona, why not tell us the true figure and how much barrels of oil was stolen per day? It's better to keep quiet sometimes rather than speak trash. You claim the $150bn figure is untrue but you have no clue as to the true figure!

luvinhubby:
Obasanjo is CRIME himself and anybody associated with him is a criminal.
Thank God for the Ken Nnamani led senate that saved this nation of the catastrophy of Obasanjo's third term bid.
And the same old crime personified is still the political brain behind APC.

Tufiakwa !!
You can tell I am not a fan of OBJ. Far from it! However, a dead OBJ is far better than a healthy Jonathan as a president.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Obasanjo’s Third Term Bid Failed, By Jonathan by seunmsg(m): 7:31am On Nov 20, 2015
sanky346:
Africa needs strong parliaments to checkmate sit-tight presidents who influence parliaments to consider amendment to the constitution that would extend their stay in office.
“Changing constitutions to eliminate term limits in order to favour incumbents is inconsistent with democratic principles and reduces confidence in democratic institutions.
”/

Very convenient coming from A jonathan whose first bill to the National assembly after winning the 2011 election was to increase his four years term to a single term of 6 years. This guy must think we are so stupid to have forgotten his antecedents.

The same GEJ who betrayed the agreement he had with OBJ and other PDP leaders to serve for only a single does not have the morality to criticise sit tight African leaders. He is no different from them in mindset. He's just unlucky to have been pushed out by majority of discerning Nigerians who knew that his continued stay in office will be a disaster for the country.

3 Likes

Re: Why Obasanjo’s Third Term Bid Failed, By Jonathan by FreeGlobe(f): 7:31am On Nov 20, 2015
The national assembly under the leadership of a true igbo son cool

2 Likes

Re: Why Obasanjo’s Third Term Bid Failed, By Jonathan by ozoigbondu: 7:32am On Nov 20, 2015
That gorilla from ota is a very big disgrace to democracy and should never be mentioned in the same statement with my hero

2 Likes

Re: Why Obasanjo’s Third Term Bid Failed, By Jonathan by Aufbauh(m): 7:32am On Nov 20, 2015
{'Jonathan also used the opportunity to educate the audience on the problems in Zanzibar and how he is mediating in the dispute'}.

Jonathan forming Bill Clinton in Tanzania since May 29th, please come and use you wealth of experience to educate this IPOB boys as they don't want to accept the election you've lost.

2 Likes

Re: Why Obasanjo’s Third Term Bid Failed, By Jonathan by eye4eye: 7:34am On Nov 20, 2015
Jonadunce is looking for trouble. I hope nobody cries "witch hunt" when current government decides to expose him and his wife.

Jonadunce, be warned!

2 Likes

Re: Why Obasanjo’s Third Term Bid Failed, By Jonathan by luvinhubby(m): 7:34am On Nov 20, 2015
ozoigbondu:
GEJ my hero
Nwanne where have you been?
Re: Why Obasanjo’s Third Term Bid Failed, By Jonathan by Ezenwammadu(m): 7:38am On Nov 20, 2015
The figures are staggering and untrue, another governor said someone stole a million barrels of oil per day.”
Oskimole and his numerical diarrhea angry sad sad
Re: Why Obasanjo’s Third Term Bid Failed, By Jonathan by hassan85(m): 7:40am On Nov 20, 2015
lol its sweet Sha when elites clashes. it helps us know most of wat transfers behind closed doors! safe OBJ brought Gej. it was not resisted. same Yoruba OBJ took out Gej.... politics so crazy
Re: Why Obasanjo’s Third Term Bid Failed, By Jonathan by ozoigbondu: 7:41am On Nov 20, 2015
eye4eye:
Jonadunce is looking for trouble. I hope nobody cries "witch hunt" when current government decides to expose him and his wife.

Jonadunce, be warned!
The thunder that will fire you is still looking for fuel

2 Likes

Re: Why Obasanjo’s Third Term Bid Failed, By Jonathan by disloman(m): 7:41am On Nov 20, 2015
Happy birthday GEJ.
Re: Why Obasanjo’s Third Term Bid Failed, By Jonathan by dealslip(f): 7:42am On Nov 20, 2015
eye4eye:

Jonadunce, be warned!

So he should not call a spade a spade anymore so that he isn't exposed by an equally corruption friendly government.
Re: Why Obasanjo’s Third Term Bid Failed, By Jonathan by mazzi: 7:43am On Nov 20, 2015
I expect uncle jona to say more as time goes by.
Re: Why Obasanjo’s Third Term Bid Failed, By Jonathan by ozoigbondu: 7:43am On Nov 20, 2015
luvinhubby:

Nwanne where have you been?
I took a break from this forum.lt is full of contagious hate and anger but N150 fuel brought me back

1 Like

Re: Why Obasanjo’s Third Term Bid Failed, By Jonathan by disloman(m): 7:44am On Nov 20, 2015
dealslip:

So he should not call a spade a spade anymore so that he isn't exposed by an equally corruption friendly government.
Don't mind him.He's just seeking for attention.
Re: Why Obasanjo’s Third Term Bid Failed, By Jonathan by luvinhubby(m): 7:45am On Nov 20, 2015
ozoigbondu:
I took a break from this forum.lt is full of contagious hate and anger but N150 fuel brought me back
Nnoo nwanne cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Obasanjo’s Third Term Bid Failed, By Jonathan by Psalm18: 7:46am On Nov 20, 2015
Obviously Obasanjo sought and aggressively wanted third term because he was deceived by some sections of his kitchen cabinet that ONLY him had the solution to Nigeria.
It was one of the finest moments in the national Assembly, from Ken Nnnamani beautiful speech to open the debate to the various contributions of all the senators(my people, my people speech by senator wabara) to roundly defeat and reject third term.
Nuhu ribadu has come out to confirm it, that obj wanted third term.
Ditto el rufai
Soyinka has as well.
Atiku and even Fayose have all come out to throw more light on how obj and his friends wasted OUR money on his fruitless ambition.

The only person still denying it is Obasanjo. Even when all evidence indicates otherwise. Shows you the character of the man.
Re: Why Obasanjo’s Third Term Bid Failed, By Jonathan by Kastonkastroll(m): 7:48am On Nov 20, 2015
FreeGlobe:
The national assembly under the leadership of a true igbo son cool
We all know that obj's 3rd term bid failed because of atiku who wanted to become president after his boss(obj). I don't know were you dug up your own lies from.
Re: Why Obasanjo’s Third Term Bid Failed, By Jonathan by Splashme: 7:48am On Nov 20, 2015
Wow . . .
Re: Why Obasanjo’s Third Term Bid Failed, By Jonathan by FreeGlobe(f): 7:50am On Nov 20, 2015
Kastonkastroll:
We all know that obj's 3rd term bid failed because of atiku who wanted to become president after his boss(obj). I don't know were you dug up your own lies from.
Ken Nnamani was the architect of the failed third term bid by Obasanjo.. believe it or not
Re: Why Obasanjo’s Third Term Bid Failed, By Jonathan by Nobody: 7:50am On Nov 20, 2015
I like the new retardeen, his foolishness would no longer affect me directly.
Re: Why Obasanjo’s Third Term Bid Failed, By Jonathan by Psalm18: 7:50am On Nov 20, 2015
eye4eye:

Jonadunce, be warned!
He was asked a question by the panel.
Did Obasanjo seek third term?
How is giving an honest answer looking for trouble.
What was he supposed to say?
Lie about it.
A man of over 50 years if he cannot speak his mind..then what is he living for.
As per stealing money, no doubt Jonathan and his friends frittered our money but trial by media will never work.
Let the government of the day prepare a water tight case, take them.to court and send whoever to jail, but emotive outburst like that of Oshiomole just attracts sympathy to those who stole.
Lucky igbinedion, lest not forget was convicted under PDP administration, its not the fault of PDP the judge gave him a light sentence.

1 Like

Re: Why Obasanjo’s Third Term Bid Failed, By Jonathan by Kastonkastroll(m): 7:56am On Nov 20, 2015
FreeGlobe:

Ken Nnamani was the architect of the failed third term bid by Obasanjo.. believe it or not
Ken nnamani was Atiku's puppet(boi-boi). I hope this will lay to rest any further lie that will emanate from you.
Re: Why Obasanjo’s Third Term Bid Failed, By Jonathan by FreeGlobe(f): 7:59am On Nov 20, 2015
Kastonkastroll:
Ken nnamani was Atiku's puppet(boi-boi). I hope this will lay to rest any further lie that will emanate from you.
I respond to facts only, not beer parlor gossips

1 Like

Re: Why Obasanjo’s Third Term Bid Failed, By Jonathan by rozayx5(m): 8:04am On Nov 20, 2015
and obj who created the so called mess is now a friend of Buhari

so which mess is apc cleaning?

1 Like

Re: Why Obasanjo’s Third Term Bid Failed, By Jonathan by Kastonkastroll(m): 8:08am On Nov 20, 2015
FreeGlobe:

I respond to facts only, not beer parlor gossips
My brother, this is a fact. Atiku was even the person that made sure nnamadi became the senate President at that time.

(1) (Reply)

DG Insists That Female Muslim Corp Members Will Not Wear Hijabs / Cardinal Francis Arinze Marks Golden Jubilee Of Ordination In Onitsha (photos) / Buhari Is Not Sincere With Corruption Fight, APC More Corrupt - Itse Sagay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.