Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,675 members, 7,816,774 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:50 PM

Law Students Converge To Create A National Body - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Law Students Converge To Create A National Body (2346 Views)

Al-hikmah University Lecturer Orders 300 Level Law Students To Kneel Down / Ambrose Alli University Law Students Celebrate Graduation In Grand Style(Photos) / Examination Questions For Law Students In UNIBEN(pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Law Students Converge To Create A National Body by Fynestboi: 6:49pm On Nov 20, 2015
LAW STUDENTS CONVERGE TO CREATE A NATIONAL BODY.

The movement to have a NATIONAL LAW STUDENTS' ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA (LAWSAN) took a giant leap with delegates from some Universities in Nigeria coming together on the 14th and 15th of November, 2015 to discuss and map out modalities for the formation of the association. The historic meeting was held at the Faculty of Law, Obafemi Awolowo University under the hosting leadership of Mr Olaniran Quadri, the President of the Law Students' Society, Obafemi Awolowo University.

The meeting centred upon crucial matters such as: the need for a national body, aims and objectives of such body, sponsorship for the association as well as issues relating to the constitution and convention of the association.
The major highlight of the meeting was the bidding to host the maiden edition of the LAWSAN Convention scheduled for June, 2016. After a rigorous screening process, it was agreed by Universities present that University of Ibadan should host the First Convention of the Association. Decisive steps were also taken with regards to the drafting of a constitution which will operate as the grund norm and modus operandi for the association.

Delegates present at the meeting include Mr. Olaniran Quadri Oladimeji and Mr. Adepoju Oluwasola Idris (Obafemi Awolowo University), Mr Mohammed Daud (Lagos State University), Mr Mobolaji Ojo (President, LAWSAN Abuja), Miss Esther Sanda (President, LAWSAN, Bowen University), Mr. Ebunoluwa Dapo-Thomas (President, L.S.S Osun State University) as well as Mr. Victor Kuforiji (A.G.F., L.S.S. University of Ibadan) who stood in for Opeyemi Adeleke, (President L.S.S., University of Ibadan), University of Calabar and delegates from University of Benin.
The delegate from the University of Abuja stood as the representative for the north. The meeting was conveyed by Mr. Samuel Osijo (LASU), Head of Lincoln 's Inn who was the moderator and who is expected to remain the convener of the Association until the convention.

LAWSAN is expected to champion the positive cause of member students as well as serve as a platform for members to render their opinions on national issues.
Re: Law Students Converge To Create A National Body by adaweezy(m): 7:19pm On Nov 20, 2015
Fynestboi:
I didn't numbered any room I'm fajj sir... undecided
Awo.....
You are even a MoD sef
grin grin grin grin grin I hope this initiative does not flop like they usually do
Re: Law Students Converge To Create A National Body by Nobody: 9:29pm On Nov 20, 2015
Very important! The Law profession in Nigeria is turning sometin else! How can a Lawyer employed in a private firm be receiving 10k! I have so many lawyers friends who have been unemployed since NYSC! Lawyers are too much in Nigeria! They should regulated the number of year intake

1 Like

Re: Law Students Converge To Create A National Body by Fynestboi: 9:34pm On Nov 20, 2015
adaweezy:
Awo.....
You are even a MoD sef
grin grin grin grin grin I hope this initiative does not flop like they usually do

Hmmmmmm I pray and hope so to..

Where In Awo?
Re: Law Students Converge To Create A National Body by Fynestboi: 9:35pm On Nov 20, 2015
Osahon7:
Very important! The Law profession in Nigeria is turning sometin else! How can a Lawyer employed in a private firm be receiving 10k! I have so many lawyers friends who have been unemployed since NYSC! Lawyers are too much in Nigeria! They should regulated the number of year intake

Hmmmmmmm
Re: Law Students Converge To Create A National Body by adaweezy(m): 10:40pm On Nov 20, 2015
Osahon7:
Lawyers are not too much, they need to Streamline the system into allowing for more litigations as well as make judicial processes faster... besides the current students creating a forum does not affect lawyers welfare
Are you serious about that 10 K i thought the lowest was 15K sef. Many senior lawyers only pay lip service to the meagre wage system being operated by Law firms in Nigeria.
Fynestboi:

Hmmmmmm I pray and hope so to..

Where In Awo?
Medical Floor Blk 8 308 instead of 307
Re: Law Students Converge To Create A National Body by Nobody: 10:52pm On Nov 20, 2015
adaweezy:

Lawyers are not too much, they need to Streamline the system into allowing for more litigations as well as make judicial processes faster... besides the current students creating a forum does not affect lawyers welfare
Are you serious about that 10 K i thought the lowest was 15K sef. Many senior lawyers only pay lip service to the meagre wage system being operated by Law firms in Nigeria.

Medical Floor Blk 8 308 instead of 307
Sir get your fact right o!! Here in Uniben they admit abt 200 student in 100 level! They send 180 student to law school every year!! They are just too much
Re: Law Students Converge To Create A National Body by Nobody: 11:05pm On Nov 20, 2015
Osahon7:
Sir get your fact right o!! Here in Uniben they admit abt 200 student in 100 level! They send 180 student to law school every year!! They are just too much
True!
You have a point.
Unilag and UI admit over 300 & 150 Law students.
They should take cue from Medicine and Surgery.
I doubt if any school graduates more than 50 medical doctors.
Re: Law Students Converge To Create A National Body by emaculate99: 11:06pm On Nov 20, 2015
Osahon7:
Boss, is that enough premise to prove that lawyers are too many in this country? Sorry pls, are you trying to tell me that all the 180 students will be called to bar? Before I can believe that lawyers are too many in this country, you have to prove it with cogent evidences and not a piece of evidence you got from somewhere which is not tantamount to the number of those that will be called to Bar.

I still find it very hard to believe ur claim. Can you give more cogent premises Sir for me to believe your claim? I am a neophyte here tho.
FrancisTony:

True!
You have a point.
Re: Law Students Converge To Create A National Body by emaculate99: 11:36pm On Nov 20, 2015
Osahon7:
FrancisTony:

True!
You have a point.
Nigerian Law School hasn't trained up to 90 000 lawyers out of the over 180 millions of citizens in Nigeria and you say we have too many lawyers in the country. Out of the less than 90 thousand lawyers, some are dead, not practicing or travelled out to practice in another country and u know what that means I guess.
Source:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_Law_School
http://www.thenigerianvoice.com/news/27276/1/since-1962-law-school-has-not-trained-up-to-70-000.html
Re: Law Students Converge To Create A National Body by Nobody: 11:52pm On Nov 20, 2015
emaculate99:
Boss, is that enough premise to prove that lawyers are too many in this country? Sorry pls, are you trying to tell me that all the 180 students will be called to bar? Before I can believe that lawyers are too many in this country, you have to prove it with cogent evidences and not a piece of evidence you got from somewhere which is not tantamount to the number of those that will be called to Bar.

I still find it very hard to believe ur claim. Can you give more cogent premises Sir for me to believe your claim? I am a neophyte here tho.
you telling me what I know again? I school in Uniben! Have been here for the past 5years! Law admit abt 200 and send 180 to law skool every year! Talking about been called to bar! That's y we say graduate lawyers are too many! How can a lawyer graduate and wait for the next 10 or 7yrs before he is been called to bar? Is dah fair? Is like saying we in the medical profession we finish frm medical skool and we wait for nxt 7years for internship or residency? My point is they are too many! Many graduate lawyers are roaming the streets!
Re: Law Students Converge To Create A National Body by emaculate99: 3:44am On Nov 21, 2015
Osahon7:
you telling me what I know again? I school in Uniben! Have been here for the past 5years! Law admit abt 200 and send 180 to law skool every year! Talking about been called to bar! That's y we say graduate lawyers are too many! How can a lawyer graduate and wait for the next 10 or 7yrs before he is been called to bar? Is dah fair? Is like saying we in the medical profession we finish frm medical skool and we wait for nxt 7years for internship or residency? My point is they are too many! Many graduate lawyers are roaming the streets!
" No amount of brilliance in a fine speech can make up for lack of evidence." Though, you wrote beautifully but you seemed to overlook some errors in your argument.

1. Schooling in Uuniben is not enough ground for you to know better than a law student of the same school or know the practice of law better.

2. Law students don't spend up to 7 or 10 years at home before being called to bar as postulated by you. Law students have to go to law school immediately after their university education where they spend at least a year and try to meet the requirements of being called to bar and after this they are called to bar. This is not compulsory though but necessary for anyone who want to practice in Nigeria.

3. If Faculty of Law in Uniben admits 200 students and sends 180, that doesn't make all the 180 students lawyers as not all of them will become lawyers. Some of them will surely fail their final bar exams and when this happens, the hope of being a lawyer that year will be shattered with sledge hammer. In 2014, about 6000 students wrote the final bar examination of which over 3000 candidates failed and this implied that those that failed won't become a lawyer or called to bar talk less of practising as a lawyer in Nigeria. He is just a law graduate and not a lawyer. If we are to follow your claim then we will erroneously say that the 6000 students that took the examination will be called to bar and become lawyers. You only included those that are not lawyers into the list of your lawyers that's y u said they are "too much"

4. Before anyone can practise in Nigeria as a lawyer, s/he must have attended Nigerian Law School, must have been called to bar and fulfil some compulsory requirements. Based on statistics, the Nigerian Law School has produced almost 90, 000 lawyers, some of which are dead, sick, travelled out, disrobe or not practising. if we take the population of practicing lawyers to be 90,000 (of which they are less than that) and the Nigerian population to be 180 000 000 (of which are more than that) then the percentage of lawyers to Nigerian population is 0.5%.

5. Don't mix things up. Graduate of laws are not lawyers 'cause they weren't called to bar while lawyers are those law graduates that were called to bar.

6. My conclusion is that lawyers are not too many. Your view is as a result of your stereotypical way of thinking.

REFERENCES:
http://www.thenigerianvoice.com/news/27276/1/
since-1962-law-school-has-not-trained-up-
to-70-000.html
www.bellanaija.com/2014/10/18/outrage-at-nigerian-law-school-as-over-3500-students-fail-bar-exam/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_to_the_bar
www.leadership.ng/news/468626/law-school-calls-3600-students-to-bar.

I guess u now know more sir.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Law Students Converge To Create A National Body by sammyscholar(m): 7:22am On Nov 21, 2015
Postulation premised on well researched facts.
emaculate99:

" No amount of brilliance in a fine speech can make up for lack of evidence." Though, you wrote beautifully but you seemed to overlook some errors in your argument.

1. Schooling in Uuniben is not enough ground for you to know better than a law student of the same school or know the practice of law better.

2. Law students don't spend up to 7 or 10 years at home before being called to bar as postulated by you. Law students have to go to law school immediately after their university education where they spend at least a year and try to meet the requirements of being called to bar and after this they are called to bar. This is not compulsory though but necessary for anyone who want to practice in Nigeria.

3. If Faculty of Law in Uniben admits 200 students and sends 180, that doesn't make all the 180 students lawyers as not all of them will become lawyers. Some of them will surely fail their final bar exams and when this happens, the hope of being a lawyer that year will be shattered with sledge hammer. In 2014, about 6000 students wrote the final bar examination of which over 3000 candidates failed and this implied that those that failed won't become a lawyer or called to bar talk less of practising as a lawyer in Nigeria. He is just a law graduate and not a lawyer. If we are to follow your claim then we will erroneously say that the 6000 students that took the examination will be called to bar and become lawyers. You only included those that are not lawyers into the list of your lawyers that's y u said they are "too much"

4. Before anyone can practise in Nigeria as a lawyer, s/he must have attended Nigerian Law School, must have been called to bar and fulfil some compulsory requirements. Based on statistics, the Nigerian Law School has produced almost 90, 000 lawyers, some of which are dead, sick, travelled out, disrobe or not practising. if we take the population of practicing lawyers to be 90,000 (of which they are less than that) and the Nigerian population to be 180 000 000 (of which are more than that) then the percentage of lawyers to Nigerian population is 0.5%.

5. Don't mix things up. Graduate of laws are not lawyers 'cause they weren't called to bar while lawyers are those law graduates that were called to bar.

6. My conclusion is that lawyers are not too many. Your view is as a result of your stereotypical way of thinking.

REFERENCES:
to-70-000.html
www.bellanaija.com/2014/10/18/outrage-at-nigerian-law-school-as-over-3500-students-fail-bar-exam/

Re: Law Students Converge To Create A National Body by Nobody: 7:44am On Nov 21, 2015
emaculate99:

REFERENCES:
to-70-000.html

YOU ARE IN 100L or Probably 200L,!! You will soon see the reality of the Law Profession in Nigeria
Re: Law Students Converge To Create A National Body by emaculate99: 10:06am On Nov 21, 2015
Osahon7:
YOU ARE IN 100L or Probably 200L,!! You will soon see the reality of the Law Profession in Nigeria
Osahon7:
you telling me what I know again? I school in Uniben! Have been here for the past 5years! Law admit abt 200 and send 180 to law skool every year! Talking about been called to bar! That's y we say graduate lawyers are too many! How can a lawyer graduate and wait for the next 10 or 7yrs before he is been called to bar?
Is dah fair? Is like saying we in the medical profession we finish frm medical skool and we wait for nxt 7years for internship or residency?My point is they are too many! Many graduate lawyers are roaming the streets!
I guess we are here to argue and not to attack our personalities. Apart from that be it an 100 or 200 level student, the fact still remains that you don't know much about the legal profession you claim to know. I agree that am a neophyte but that doesn't mean I should take what you said hook line and sinker. I guess, ur last statement should be referred to you. Do not live in the ecstasy of your stereotyped view about the legal profession (which you don't belong to), I will advise you to always get your facts right before you argue

#gracia

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Law Students Converge To Create A National Body by naijaboiy: 3:52pm On Nov 21, 2015
Osahon7:
are you a law student? undecided
Re: Law Students Converge To Create A National Body by adaweezy(m): 9:25pm On Nov 22, 2015
Osahon7:
The reason why lawyers have few jobs is simple, many people don't like litigation and those that do have to go thru long processes to resolve litigation issues and it takes years if it aint political..
If litigation was speedily dealth with, there will be more jobs for lawyers.....
We are a nation of 180 million people with less than 100K lawyers 180 to a lawyer
bad ratio if you ask me....
America has many lawyers are they all jobless
Re: Law Students Converge To Create A National Body by adaweezy(m): 9:41pm On Nov 22, 2015
Osahon7:
The reason why lawyers have few jobs is simple, many people don't like litigation and those that do have to go thru long processes to resolve litigation issues and it takes years if it aint political..
If litigation was speedily dealt with, there will be more jobs for lawyers.....
We are a nation of 180 million people with less than 100K lawyers 180 to a lawyer
Law graduates are not Lawyers take note !!!!
America has many lawyers are they all jobless ??
Re: Law Students Converge To Create A National Body by adaweezy(m): 9:42pm On Nov 22, 2015
Osahon7:
Sorry to disappoint you he isnt in 200 lvl ......

1 Like

Re: Law Students Converge To Create A National Body by emaculate99: 9:56pm On Nov 22, 2015
adaweezy:

If litigation was speedily dealt with, there will be more jobs for lawyers.....
Law graduates are not Lawyers take note !!!!
America has many lawyers are they all jobless ??
Adaweezy, thank u very much jawe.Our Prof, Osahon7, seems to know all, I guess that's why he overlooked that simple fact.

(1) (Reply)

Whats The Best Caption For These Jamb Candidates.(pic) / Check Out How To Get 2gb With #100 No Mtn And Airtel / List Of Universities That Accept Awaiting Result For JAMB Registration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.