Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,316 members, 7,829,754 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:22 AM

Oshiomhole Disowns Govs, Over Minimum Wage And Backs Workers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oshiomhole Disowns Govs, Over Minimum Wage And Backs Workers (694 Views)

Oshiomhole Disowns Statement On General Babangida. / MINIMUM WAGE: Oshiomhole Disowns Govs, Backs Workers / MINIMUM WAGE: Oshiomhole Disowns Govs, Backs Workers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oshiomhole Disowns Govs, Over Minimum Wage And Backs Workers by rawglobalnewss: 7:58am On Nov 21, 2015
GOVERNOR Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State, yesterday, disagreed with other governors of the country on the ability of the states to pay the N18,000 minimum wage, saying they must pay.

Recalling that the minimum wage was agreed between the Federal Government and the organised labour by the previous administration, Oshiomhole told the governors and other elected political office holders that democracy cannot be run at their comfort and convenience.

Oshiomhole spoke as the leader of the Northern Elders’ Forum, Prof Ango Abdullahi, blasted governors for claiming that they are broke and can no longer pay workers the minimum wage and as factional presidents of the Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, Comrades Ayuba Wabba and Joe Ajaero,yesterday, attended the first Central Working Committee ,CWC, meeting organised by labour veterans and stakeholders to resolve the crisis that brought division among labour leaders after its election about six months ago.

Democracy can’t be run at govs, others’ comfort
Speaking at the meeting held at the Labour House, Abuja, Governor Oshiomhole said nobody would question the wisdom behind the payment of minimum wage to workers in the country as it was not imposed on the government, rather it was a product of agreement between government and labour.

His words: “I am a labour man, I have been clear with my colleagues in seeking to find solution to the problem we face. We have to be holistic, we cannot at one hand question the wisdom behind the national minimum wage. I joined the NLC to protest to the National Assembly when they were going to amend the constitution to make the minimum wage a concurrent issue.

“I said workers have a stake in this democracy. They are the ones who could afford to march the streets and they march the streets for democracy. Democracy doesn’t have to run at the comfort or convenience of governors, ministers, and presidents.

“I believe that the issue in the economy hasn’t got to do with minimum wage. I have always also reminded my colleagues that the minimum wage was not imposed, it was negotiated and state governments agreed to it, the president signed it not under duress, there was no strike to compel the then president to sign it, he signed it voluntarily.

“I believe when you look at the minimum wage, as it is today at N18,000, it is less than 100 dollars. I think it is now about eighty dollars. Now, divide eighty dollars by 31 days, you will be getting about two point something dollars.

Read more from RAW GLOBAL NEWS via http://www.rawglobalnews.com/democracy-focus/oshiomhole-disowns-govs-over-minimum-wage-and-backs-workers/
Re: Oshiomhole Disowns Govs, Over Minimum Wage And Backs Workers by domopps(m): 8:01am On Nov 21, 2015
Good move!

Cheeeeers
Re: Oshiomhole Disowns Govs, Over Minimum Wage And Backs Workers by Nobody: 8:10am On Nov 21, 2015
is Oshiomhole getting back to his old self now he's about leaving office?
Re: Oshiomhole Disowns Govs, Over Minimum Wage And Backs Workers by 175(m): 8:13am On Nov 21, 2015
APC will fine Oshiomole for this act. gringrin
Re: Oshiomhole Disowns Govs, Over Minimum Wage And Backs Workers by kel4soft: 8:15am On Nov 21, 2015
masterchi:
is Oshiomhole getting back to his old self now he's about leaving office?

What do you mean by this statement? Because he didn't support your hero or what?
Re: Oshiomhole Disowns Govs, Over Minimum Wage And Backs Workers by Juxtified(m): 8:21am On Nov 21, 2015
Smart man. You spend 7yrs as governor with nothing to show for it, all the while fighting the very people whose interest you're supposed to be representing. Now that your reign of terror is near its compulsory end you suddenly realize that workers have a stake in democracy?
Re: Oshiomhole Disowns Govs, Over Minimum Wage And Backs Workers by Nobody: 10:26am On Nov 21, 2015
kel4soft:

What do you mean by this statement? Because he didn't support your hero or what?
who is my hero?

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING NEWS - Turkey Shoots Down RUSSIAN Jet After Violating Its Air Space / Rivers State Police Condemn ‘the Nation’ Newspaper For Trying To Incite Violence / Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Ex-president Jonathan Had Won 2015 Presidentia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.