Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,985 members, 7,821,430 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:51 PM

Do Atheists Disbelieve In Impersonal God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do Atheists Disbelieve In Impersonal God? (5518 Views)

Why Atheists Disbelieve The Existence Of God --find Answers Here. / Why Do Atheists Attack Mostly Christians? / Why Do Nigerians Disbelieve T.B Joshua, Chris Okafor's Miracles? See Reasons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Atheists Disbelieve In Impersonal God? by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:33am On Nov 21, 2015
Atheists are giving a new dimension and entire new meaning to what we generally understand as atheism. Some took disbelieve in Jehovah, hatred for Allah and disregard for Islam as atheism. Most likely, some took opposing of unjustified religion belief/doctrine as atheism.

Atheism generally is the disbelieve in the existence of God/deity. There is nothing more to add or remove here. However, some atheists are shifting ground when asked to define God/deity. Some define God in that context as Supreme being. Some define God as supernatural being while others take God in the context as personal God.

These atheists are therefore redefining atheism as disbelieve in the existence of personal God. Some redefined atheism as disbelieve in the existence of Supreme God, supernatural God or both.

Lets agree to their argument that they disbelieve in the existence of personal God, do they believe or disbelieve in the existence of impersonal Gods?

Buddhism negate supernatural attributes to their devas (God). Do atheists who disbelieve in supernatural God believe in non-supernatural God of buddhism?

Thousands of Gods are not supreme creator God. We have Gods, sacred kings (devaraja) and forces. Do atheists believe these non-supreme beings called God exist?

Do atheists believe in Impersonal Gods and forces?

Dalaman, johnydon22, ifeness, plaetton

1 Like

Re: Do Atheists Disbelieve In Impersonal God? by dalaman: 11:43am On Nov 21, 2015
What is a God?

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Do Atheists Disbelieve In Impersonal God? by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:46pm On Nov 21, 2015
dalaman:
What is a God?

You should answer the question.

As an atheist who disbelieve in the existence of God, you should be able to tell us about what God is. You would have more knowledge about what God is before you can postulate your disbelieve in it.

That for that, we aint talking about god but impersonal god. Do you believe in the existence of impersonal god?

Give us reason why you think impersonal god does exist or not
Re: Do Atheists Disbelieve In Impersonal God? by Gayjesus: 12:56pm On Nov 21, 2015
It will make sense to define God first OP,then people can contribute.

1 Like

Re: Do Atheists Disbelieve In Impersonal God? by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:12pm On Nov 21, 2015
Gayjesus:
It will make sense to define God first OP,then people can contribute.

why would I define God?

Before you can tell us if there is no water on mars, you would have full understanding of what water is.

Same goes with atheism and God. Someone who claim God does not exist must understand what God is. Feigning ignorance about God and talking about the existence of what you dont know is ***.

I have tackled atheists to deffine what they mean by God and some told me personal Gods. So do they disbelieve in personal Gods to believe in impersonal Gods?
Re: Do Atheists Disbelieve In Impersonal God? by hahn(m): 2:18pm On Nov 21, 2015
dalaman:
What is a God?

*singing* to a non believer who don't believe in anything.... grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Atheists Disbelieve In Impersonal God? by menesheh(m): 2:37pm On Nov 21, 2015
hahn:

*singing* to a non believer who don't believe in anything.... grin

grin
Re: Do Atheists Disbelieve In Impersonal God? by plaetton: 2:52pm On Nov 21, 2015
FOLYKAZE:

As an atheist who disbelieve in the existence of God, you should be able to tell us about what God is. You would have more knowledge about what God is before you can postulate your disbelieve in it.

That for that, we aint talking about god but impersonal god. Do you believe in the existence of impersonal god?

Is god a title, a name or just a description of an idea ?
People who believe in god, especially of the abrahamic faiths, have a difficult time deciding which they mean.

This ambiguity serves them well ,because it allows them to be versatile and creative when promoting their beliefs.

I used to believe in an impersonal god when I was an agnostic. Then ,I believed that God existed, but was diffused throughout the universe as matter.

This is still true and much sense.

The only difference now is that I think that god is an Idea, an ideal, a notion, the embodiment of the sum of our highest ideals , fears and aspirations, with each individual believer adding his own mental salt and peppers.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Do Atheists Disbelieve In Impersonal God? by plaetton: 2:58pm On Nov 21, 2015
^^^
Also, let me add, I do believe that, like every Electron in the universe, life itself , having evolved from electron paricles in the universe, must also have it's own duality,..the particle nature(material) and it's wave-like nature( the immaterial).
Re: Do Atheists Disbelieve In Impersonal God? by FOLYKAZE(m): 3:06pm On Nov 21, 2015
plaetton:

Is god a title, a name or just a description of an idea ?
People who believe in god, especially of the abrahamic faiths, have a difficult time deciding which they mean.

This ambiguity serves them well ,because it allows them to be versatile and creative when promoting their beliefs.

I used to believe in an impersonal god when I was an agnostic. Then ,I believed that God existed, but was diffused throughout the universe as matter.

This is still true and much sense.

The only difference now is that I think that god is an Idea, an ideal, a notion, the embodiment of the sum of our highest ideals , fears and aspirations, with each individual believer adding his own mental salt and peppers.

The OP question is not answered. You are but directing the discussion into another course.

The problem of defining God is centred on atheism which refuses to define what they disbelieve in.

Someone who talk about the existence of water on mars must know what water is. Asking on other round if water in the context of liquid or solid ice means that person do not know what he or she is saying.

Atheists disbelieve in the existence of god. Is God in this context just a name, do you disbelieve in God as just a name giving to an entity? Is the God you disbelieve in just an idea? Or the god you disbeliev in just a notion?

So why are you asking us question of something you have made conclusion on? Atheists have defined God as supernatural being, supreme creator or personal God.

So now we agree atheism disbelieve in the existence of personal God, do you also disbelieve in impersonal God or force?
Re: Do Atheists Disbelieve In Impersonal God? by johnydon22(m): 3:29pm On Nov 21, 2015
Now it has been established Atheists disbelieve Personal Gods ----> which are deities that take a form of a person, regarded or conceived as a person...

Zeus
Brahma
Yahweh
Thor
Enki
Apollo
Allah
Amadioha

and 5,000 other Gods are all deities depicted as a person and so someone who is atheistic do not believe such concepts. (With all their very many characteristics.)

Now the Question is When you say IMPERSONAL gods, what do you mean by them and give me an example..

I wont reply Long post ..

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Atheists Disbelieve In Impersonal God? by Folykaze03: 4:35pm On Nov 21, 2015
I dont know what I have done wrong to Aunty spam bot o. The bot is banning me left and right
Re: Do Atheists Disbelieve In Impersonal God? by johnydon22(m): 4:57pm On Nov 21, 2015
Folykaze05:
@ Johnydon22

Thanks for the attempt to address the OP

An impersonal god is a force which created and set the universe on motion but doesn't interfare in the affair of things in it. This force also do not relate or interact with human in form of a person like personal gods.

You see this definition can also be related to personal Gods because there are many who are asserted not to interact with human affairs... Any God depicted in the form of a person whether it interacts with humans or not is a personal God..

Now the Question continues Give me one example of an impersonal God you know..?

Or is this force another way of asserting

Gravity?
A singularity?
A quantum fluctuation?

Let us know the values you quantify as an impersonal God

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Atheists Disbelieve In Impersonal God? by frank317: 5:03pm On Nov 21, 2015
FOLYKAZE:
Atheists are giving a new dimension and entire new meaning to what we generally understand as atheism. Some took disbelieve in Jehovah, hatred for Allah and disregard for Islam as atheism. Most likely, some took opposing of unjustified religion belief/doctrine as atheism.

Atheism generally is the disbelieve in the existence of God/deity. There is nothing more to add or remove here. However, some atheists are shifting ground when asked to define God/deity. Some define God in that context as Supreme being. Some define God as supernatural being while others take God in the context as personal God.

These atheists are therefore redefining atheism as disbelieve in the existence of personal God. Some redefined atheism as disbelieve in the existence of Supreme God, supernatural God or both.

Lets agree to their argument that they disbelieve in the existence of personal God, do they believe or disbelieve in the existence of impersonal Gods?

Buddhism negate supernatural attributes to their devas (God). Do atheists who disbelieve in supernatural God believe in non-supernatural God of buddhism?

Thousands of Gods are not supreme creator God. We have Gods, sacred kings (devaraja) and forces. Do atheists believe these non-supreme beings called God exist?

Do atheists believe in Impersonal Gods and forces?

Dalaman, johnydon22, ifeness, plaetton

I disbelieve in God, weather personal or impersonal.
E.g of personal God: Yahweh. This is just human's effort to fill in gap of the unknown. To me it does not exist, its just am idea and cannot be substantiated.

Eg of impersonal God: sun as God: to me sun is sun and not God. If you chose to call sun God, that's god for you but for me, it is sun and not God.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Atheists Disbelieve In Impersonal God? by Folykaze6: 5:06pm On Nov 21, 2015
frank317:

I disbelieve in God, weather personal or impersonal.
E.g of personal God: Yahweh. This is just human's effort to fill in gap of the unknown. To me it does not exist, its just am idea and cannot be substantiated.

Eg of impersonal God: sun as God: to me sun is sun and not God. If you chose to call sun God, that's god for you but for me, it is sun and not God.

Sun as God is not impersonal.

2 Likes

Re: Do Atheists Disbelieve In Impersonal God? by Folykaze7: 5:12pm On Nov 21, 2015
johnydon22:

You see this definition can also be related to personal Gods because there are many who are asserted not to interact with human affairs... Any God depicted in the form of a person whether it interacts with humans or not is a personal God..

Now the Question continues Give me one example of an impersonal God you know..?

Or is this force another way of asserting

Gravity?
A singularity?
A quantum fluctuation?

Let us know the values you quantify as an impersonal God

This spambot is killing me seriously.

Examples are Tao, Brahman and Ein sof
Re: Do Atheists Disbelieve In Impersonal God? by frank317: 5:34pm On Nov 21, 2015
Folykaze6:

Sun as God is not impersonal.

OK, I have now see your definition of impersonal god

Thanks for the attempt to address the OP

An impersonal god is a force which created and set the universe on motion but doesn't interfare in the affair of things in it. This force also do not relate or interact with human in form of a person like personal gods.

Now how do you get to know about this force? What do u know about it? What is the name? Is the name force? What makes this force a God?
Re: Do Atheists Disbelieve In Impersonal God? by keenn: 5:49pm On Nov 21, 2015
The concept of God has being 'personal' connote a force that is self conscious and can influence Activities according to his/her/it/their will.

This definition will bring about the need to appease/pray/worship/adore/glorify this/these god(s)

The reverse is the case for impersonal god.

2 Likes

Re: Do Atheists Disbelieve In Impersonal God? by johnydon22(m): 5:58pm On Nov 21, 2015
Folykaze7:

This spambot is killing me seriously.

Examples are Tao
You are welcome to give me a link that describes this concept

, Brahman
Definition of the concept Brahman " they concur in the definition of brahman as eternal, conscious, irreducible, infinite, omnipresent, and the spiritual core of the universe of finiteness and change. " http://www.britannica.com/topic/brahman-Hindu-concept

This postulation as a concept asserts a general universal consciousness that is unknown..

Since it is an unknown unproven value, i do not believe such ideas until proven or it's actuality represented

and Ein sof
Another way of asserting an infinite conscious value, refer to the above post..

I do not believe such assertions of infinite conscious value that are unsubstantiated... it remains an unproven claim

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Atheists Disbelieve In Impersonal God? by Folykaze8: 6:05pm On Nov 21, 2015
johnydon22:
You are welcome to give me a link that describes this concept
Definition of the concept Brahman " they concur in the definition of brahman as eternal, conscious, irreducible, infinite, omnipresent, and the spiritual core of the universe of finiteness and change. " http://www.britannica.com/topic/brahman-Hindu-concept

This postulation as a concept asserts a general universal consciousness that is unknown..

Since it is an unknown unproven value, i do not believe such ideas until proven or it's actuality represented

Another way of asserting an infinite conscious value, refer to the above post..

I do not believe such assertions of infinite conscious value that are unsubstantiated... it remains an unproven claim

Dude pls i woll come back tomorrow with my main moniker. I pray this anti-spambot would have relief on me
Re: Do Atheists Disbelieve In Impersonal God? by johnydon22(m): 7:31pm On Nov 21, 2015
Folykaze8:

Dude pls i woll come back tomorrow with my main moniker. I pray this anti-spambot would have relief on me
Alright then but i believe i have answered the Question of the thread at least from own part..

You have defined what you think Impersonal Gods are..

And the Question was "Do atheists believe in Impersonal Gods?"

As we have established the definition of that concept i have tendered my answer which is..

"No I don't"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Atheists Disbelieve In Impersonal God? by frank317: 7:47pm On Nov 21, 2015
johnydon22:
Alright then but i believe i have answered the Question of the thread at least from own part..

You have defined what you think Impersonal Gods are..

And the Question was "Do atheists believe in Impersonal Gods?"

As we have established the definition of that concept i have tendered my answer which is..

"No I don't"

True... From his definition... NO I DONT

I hope he will rest his case for good from now on. Everything has been clarified at last.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Atheists Disbelieve In Impersonal God? by dalaman: 10:40pm On Nov 21, 2015
FOLYKAZE:

God has so many different definitions, any of the definitions qualifies.
Re: Do Atheists Disbelieve In Impersonal God? by Gayjesus: 10:49pm On Nov 21, 2015
FOLYKAZE:

why would I define God?

Before you can tell us if there is no water on mars, you would have full understanding of what water is.

Same goes with atheism and God. Someone who claim God does not exist must understand what God is. Feigning ignorance about God and talking about the existence of what you dont know is ***.

I have tackled atheists to deffine what they mean by God and some told me personal Gods. So do they disbelieve in personal Gods to believe in impersonal Gods?

Well I don't know what god is,that's why I asked for a definition at least.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Do You Have To Lose If You Have Jesus / Lady Bleeds From The Eyes After Receiving Holy Communion In Enugu(photos,video) / How To Say '*God Is Good...all The Time' In Different Languages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.